People and their complaints

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

I have read a lot of threads and have noticed a lot of rude statements. Why can’t people bring across their complaints in a nice way like, such and such has come out, I don’t like it and why ,such and such would be better and why, thanks. That is all. Instead I see something like… Anet you gone and did it again! After 2months of rambling on about something you still did it anyways! Or I’m done with this game be back in 1 year to see what else they messed up -_-. I mean common, they are people with feelings and most of all they are a business, not your friend.

Be formal and polite please.

(edited by Black Dragon.3784)

Posted by: Ixillius.5768

Ixillius.5768

You are right, they are a company. Because of this we are also not their friends but paying customers. As paying customers some people might feel jaded by the changes that deminish their fun in the game.

This patch did some things right but also ruined most of the leveling experience.

Posted by: Skaigash.4715

Skaigash.4715

While I agree with OP, it’s not something anyone can control or change. Humans get jaded, angry. I try to not look at “how” things are said, but more on “what” is said.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

If they aren’t “my friend” why should I be “formal and polite” to those that kitten in my well whenever they choose to? They just flipped the table and said “screw you” to everyone who has played this game for longer than 2 days.

Also, if someone can’t handle valid criticism, and especially outrage, then maybe they shouldn’t make all these changes without asking their people first. I guarantee that this update wouldn’t have rolled out like it has if they had just had PLAYER TESTING. And then, wouldn’t you know it, there would be much less outrage at a product that is progressively going downhill.

You don’t seem to get the point of valid and understandable ways of conveyance and you don’t understand business either.

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

because formal and polite never gets the mods to come and let the devs know we don’t like what they’re doing

Fix what you have before you build something new

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

There are trolls here and there, but if you take your time to read people’s posts from start to finish, you’ll realize that the majority weren’t at all bitter at first… They simply turned into what you describe, cause the company they invested in, in order to provide them with a fun game, stabbed them in the back.

For example, how would you’ve felt if you were dining in your favorite restaurant, and instead of the usual well cooked steak you ordered and paid for, you got raw fish? Wouldn’t you reach out and ask for what you ordered? Wouldn’t you eventually start “yelling” if they kept ignoring you and kept serving you raw fish?

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

Why can’t people bring across their complaints in a nice way

Human nature…erm, high five?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

because formal and polite never gets the mods to come and let the devs know we don’t like what they’re doing

I’m pretty sure devs make a point not to respond to rude and inflammatory remarks.

Make in constructive.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You are right, they are a company. Because of this we are also not their friends but paying customers. As paying customers some people might feel jaded by the changes that deminish their fun in the game.

This patch did some things right but also ruined most of the leveling experience.

They are not a company. They are people. Legally the company exists outside of the people that work for it. When you type to the company, the company doesn’t read your response, people do.

Would it really hurt to be a bit diplomatic in replies. I know for a fact if I were a dev, I’d find another job. These forums can be brutal.

Vitus Dance.4509

When you type to the company, the company doesn’t read your response, people do.

Would that be the employees?
Employees that represent the company?
Employees that represent the company and reply following company procedure and policy?
…or just regular people?

Vayne.8563

When you type to the company, the company doesn’t read your response, people do.

Would that be the employees?
Employees that represent the company?
Employees that represent the company any reply following company procedure and policy?
…or just regular people?

People are people whether they work for a company or not. They get hired. They don’t grow from the company like a fruit. They had lives before that company. They have lives when they go home from that company. They have feelings just like most other humans.

So they put time and effort into making something, and some people don’t like it. Fair enough. That does not give people the right to insult, or call names, or even yell and stamp their feet.

Customers absolutely have the right to complain. They don’t have the right to be offensive.

Some of us can complain without actually insulting someone.

I’ve never walked into a store with a defective item and told the manager of the store, you’re terrible, you’re bad, you suck. I simply said this item doesn’t work as I expected it to work. You told me it would do X but it doesn’t.

It doesn’t have to get personal.

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

If they aren’t “my friend” why should I be “formal and polite” to those that kitten in my well whenever they choose to? They just flipped the table and said “screw you” to everyone who has played this game for longer than 2 days.

Also, if someone can’t handle valid criticism, and especially outrage, then maybe they shouldn’t make all these changes without asking their people first. I guarantee that this update wouldn’t have rolled out like it has if they had just had PLAYER TESTING. And then, wouldn’t you know it, there would be much less outrage at a product that is progressively going downhill.

You don’t seem to get the point of valid and understandable ways of conveyance and you don’t understand business either.

You should be formal and polite because they are a company, you should be formal to all companies and polite because it’s the good thing to do

Vitus Dance.4509

…but it generally does.
Customers don’t see any specific individual, they see a company representative.
If you have a complaint, you want action or answers from the company (or person(s) representing that company) NOT the individual’s sympathies.

Vayne.8563

…but it generally does.
Customers don’t see any specific individual, they see a company representative.
If you have a complaint, you want action or answers from the company (or person(s) representing that company) NOT the individual’s sympathies.

It doesn’t change anything I said. There are people literally cursing at Anet devs on these forums. For what exactly?

If I want action on something, I remain polite when asking for it.

Vitus Dance.4509

If I want action on something, I remain polite when asking for it.

Very admirable.
What happens when you’re ignored?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Because Anet treats me like I’m some simpleton, It’s insulting.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Ashkael.2859

Ashkael.2859

this thread. the few people here. theyre the reason that even after 2 years, some problems remain unsolved. it's because of these people, these white knights who keep patting them on the back trying to reassure them that nothing is wrong. especially a certain person here. whenever there's a so-called 'complaint' thread, even if the points the author posted were valid, he still keeps trying to convince everyone that nothing is wrong. when you try to confront them and call them out? your post magically get deleted.

this thread. the few people here. theyre the reason that even after 2 years, some problems remain unsolved. it's because of these people, these white knights who keep patting them on the back trying to reassure them that nothing is wrong. especially a certain person here. whenever there's a so-called 'complaint' thread, even if the points the author posted were valid, he still keeps trying to convince everyone that nothing is wrong. when you try to confront them and call them out? your post magically get deleted.

It’s also because Anet only focuses on metrics instead of on the people who actually take the time to come here and give feedback.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

You should be formal and polite because they are a company, you should be formal to all companies and polite because it’s the good thing to do

I’m not applying for a job.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have to laugh. “Human nature” “I’m not applying for a job” “The employee respresents the company” “The white knights are the problem”

I’m sorry, but when did being unhappy give you the right to be a complete animal? I thought, as human beings, we were supposed to be civilized. However, as many posts here, and in other places on this forum, aptly highlight, we absolutely are not civilized. As soon as we find something irritating, inconveniencing, not to “our” taste, the facade drops. I understand that some people are not happy, are not pleased. I myself am not completely keen on some of these changes. However, that does not give anyone the right to be an kitten. If you can’t express your discontent in a civilized manner, I’d say that Anet is well within their right to just ignore you.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

Companies shouldnt treat their customers like morons.

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

At the end of the day it is counter intuitive. Every bit of angry, rude feedback will be ignored by the team. This perhaps the main reason they stopped communicating for so long.

Hiding behind a screen and keyboard gives no one carte blanche to be rude and say things they wouldnt say to someones face. Polite, constructive posts will always have more impact than the reverse.

There are plenty of valid, well composed feedback on the new features….there are far more uncivilised comments drowning them out.

Play nice people

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

There are way fewer “rude” comments than ones that are just upfront and brisk. Learn the difference.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

There are way fewer “rude” comments than ones that are just upfront and brisk. Learn the difference.

^This

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I try to be polite, but that doesn’t mean I don’t get bitter at some things they do, especially when it’s something they’ve apologized for in the past, then do again because they forgot. I get bitter, because I see where it’s going, so many of these things are easy to predict, if you are even slightly in touch with the general western gamer and how they react to x and y. But they are sometimes seemingly blatantly blind to it themselves. It’s financially stupid in the cases I get bitter over something, for them, not me. For me, they ruin some fun, for themselves, they lose money. It’s like they have nobody there to tell them when enough is enough, when a great idea is turning sour. Or if they do, that person needs to be given a different position, because they clearly are out of touch with being able to put themselves into a few different scenarios and to reign in the chaos.

Ultimately, if the person on the company side can not handle some harsh language and anger directed towards them, they are in the wrong line of business. I worked at a ISP for a years time in the past, and I got my skin full of complaints, cusses, anger and other lovely things, for things that were not my fault what so ever. I was there for Support, I didn’t sit in the server room plugging out someones cable for the fun of it. I know that was not because they were angry at me, but with the situation, the company, something else. Which is why I would be calm and polite in my response to the customer, and eventually they would calm down so I could help them. That’s how you’re supposed to act on the business side. And ignoring complaints aren’t going to make them go away, it’ll make people see you as another company that does not listen, that does not care. You can’t expect human beings to not get angry, to not get bitter or jaded. The people on the business side too sit and cuss at a video game every so often (as long as they’re gamers). The fact that we get worked up, is positive, it means we do care, no matter how much we say we don’t, since we are here, expressing our discontent, because we still want to love the product.

I also think they should add “Flick someone at ArenaNet on the nose” as a Gem Store thing, with the ability to specify what you are mad about, and then they can go flick the person responsible (not that we need to know) on the nose. They’d probably make so much money off of that.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: TexArmageddon.2497

TexArmageddon.2497

At the end of the day it is counter intuitive. Every bit of angry, rude feedback will be ignored by the team. This perhaps the main reason they stopped communicating for so long.

Hiding behind a screen and keyboard gives no one carte blanche to be rude and say things they wouldnt say to someones face. Polite, constructive posts will always have more impact than the reverse.

There are plenty of valid, well composed feedback on the new features….there are far more uncivilised comments drowning them out.

Play nice people

Alright its time to grow up.. Everyone here at some point has paid money for the game and even gems to SUPPORT ANET. You can argue we shouldn’t be this way, but when HAS ANYTHING EVER BEEN SOLVED IN SOCIETY THROUGH PEACEFUL CONFLICTS? Even in the most docile events in history parties were outraged.. things had to be said was rude.. Get over it.. for many of us this isn’t our first time around the rodeo… how do you expect people to react when were spending money for alt slots and gems…

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

^This

I agree

Posted by: layzoe.6035

layzoe.6035

It’s also because Anet only focuses on metrics instead of on the people who actually take the time to come here and give feedback.

I think that’s normal for most businesses. Most gaming forums are filled with complaints (not just GW2 forums) because the people who go usually have some sort of complaint.. and hence the reason why they are there. Also, most average gamers wouldn’t hang out a forum either. Forum posters are always the minority.

This is actually one of the more civilized community. Most posters seem very well educated and articulate.

So far I haven’t seen, “you noob, just uninstall” insults and such.

(edited by layzoe.6035)