People complaining about HoT pricetag...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: endscape.7538

endscape.7538

Did you forget this is a B2P game? They are running the servers you play on for free, providing patches and content for free and do not require a subscription. Other MMOs require monthly $14 subs + $30 to $40 for expansion.

Remember.. B2P not F2P.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Nope, none of us did. We all know it’s B2P. Regardless, we all know an unfair price when we see one.

New players get the base game for free with the expansion purchase. $50 gets them that.

Players prior to pre-purchase prices have to pay another $50 on top of their initial purchase price to just get the expansion.

That means for me and many others, who pre-purchased the base game or paid later for $60 or $40, it’s going to cost $110 or $90 for the same content that new players get now.

It doesn’t add up. It’s not an issue between B2P or F2P or subs, it’s an issue with unfair pricing.

EDIT: Also, I really don’t mind paying $50 for the expansion. I just don’t want to pay that $50 if ANet lowers the price for an unbundled version. This is similar to people who had purchase the game last week, but now could have paid $10 more for the game and the expansion.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

(edited by piano man.1672)

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Not to mention paying for the expansion is prepaying future content releases during the HoT cycle.

Posted by: Charblaze.6958

Charblaze.6958

Did you forget they have a gem store? They are running the servers you play with gem store purchases, providing patches and content paid by the gem store and do not require a subscription. Other MMOs require monthly $14 subs + $30 to $40 for expansion and all failed horribly or gone B2P or F2P exept WoW and a couple of other games.
Remember.. B2P not F2P.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Did I forget this is a B2P game?

No. This game being B2P does not mean I’m obligated to buy or like any price they put out.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Running servers is not that expensive. WoW made a billion a year profit off that lie.

Anet is fine, the question is whether they want to be insanely greedy or not like WoW, and it’s looking that way. We’ll probably get every skimpy season of LS sold as an “expansion” for $50 a year from here on out, perhaps even two of these a year.

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

And why the hell we do not get a free character slot??? Am I supposed to spend more money to make use of a part of the expasion (Revenant)?

Posted by: alwinp.2791

alwinp.2791

Did you forget this is a B2P game? They are running the servers you play on for free, providing patches and content for free and do not require a subscription. Other MMOs require monthly $14 subs + $30 to $40 for expansion.

Remember.. B2P not F2P.

Fed up with this BS backing up? Did you even play at release?

Do you even remember the promises they made during release?

We’d have patches every month, we’d never see an expansion. It didn’t fit their buiseness model. The game would evolve arround living world

And here we are 3 years later
An xpac announced for nearly as much as the full game price.

Here we are 3 years later
Still stuck in a boring world where patches are rare then obtaining legendaries materials ingame

Where they discontinued living world updateds and resorted to price tagging story quests for season 2.

So much for their promises.

I bought this game 3 years ago, knowing it would be B2P but without any idea we’d be ‘forced’ to shell out another 50 to continue progression and discover new lands in the world of tyria.

I expected, based on their glorious hyping, that after 3 years i would be able to log in and vendor off from where i left. No restrictions, available right from the go as you log in again.

I was a fool, but I’m not going to be fooled again.

Go ahead and feel proud on your pre-order
Go ahead and tell us how the pricing is fair to make your purchase more justifiyable

I’m still a guy that knows hype means nothing, I’m still a guy that weights value to quality & quanity.

And from the little info we know about this xpac. it wouldn’t even justify a 40$ pricetag.

Anet can fool me once, twice, but i know when their desperate tactics for money are there, and this pre-order is one of them.

Silly, obvious and ruthless marketing strategy’s.

That is all i have to say about it.

Posted by: Crossflip.4390

Crossflip.4390

Gems, mate. You can only toot the no-sub horn so loud.

endscape.7538

Running servers is not that expensive. WoW made a billion a year profit off that lie.

Anet is fine, the question is whether they want to be insanely greedy or not like WoW, and it’s looking that way. We’ll probably get every skimpy season of LS sold as an “expansion” for $50 a year from here on out, perhaps even two of these a year.

Running servers is not expensive? I do not know whether this is ignorance or sarcasm.

The expenses of buying a single server are anywhere from 15K to 100K for a single one which they then build farms out of for MMOs. Then filter in the data-center floor space, electricity, cooling, people cost, hardware maintenance and they become enormous.

Where in the world did you get the idea running servers is cheap??

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Existing players get beta access and depending on the tier, goodies mostly up front. What would attract a new player? HoT is level 80 territory right? You’ll need to core game to level up your character before entering right?

Who in their right mind would buy an expansion to a game they don’t have? So if you are a truly new player, you buy the expansion and get the core game to play now for free.

How is this any different than the game going on sale for $10 or any of the other times in the past? Others are paying less than I did, that’s unfair!

What you and I have paid for with our copy of the game is the months and years of playing. Time that a new player didn’t get to play.

Yes, I understand that many would have preferred a expansion price for existing Vs new players but the core game’s value after 3 years as a viable product is at it’s end. Giving it away for free with the expansion is the smart business decision. As others pointed out what they really needed was someone better verse at phrasing this than how they did.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

this is ridiculous, if I get a pair of jeans for 30$ and the next week they’re on sale for 10$ am I going to complain? of course not!
for those of us who already got the core game, we had well over its value over the time we had it. we can’t be angry because the new players get it for cheaper. (50$ instead of 90$ for old players)
this has become absolutely ridiculous and people are complaining about everything.
The only valid complain I’ve heard so far is that the amount of content in HoT might not justify a 50$ expansion, but that’s a completely diferent topic.

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

right lets assume the expansion will be for 3 years, as base game also was.

right £34 ($50) over 3 years? that is 11.33 a Year (16.66p Dollars)

that is 0.9p a Month (1.38 Dollars) a Month… Oki looking for the unfairness guys..

Posted by: Thea Cherry.6327

Thea Cherry.6327

Did you forget what GW1 was like? And how much content and Addons we had after 3 years?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Not to mention paying for the expansion is prepaying future content releases during the HoT cycle.

ANet dropping gem store confirmed.

Oh, wait. No, it looks like we’ll still have a gem store going forward. Did you really think that the initial box price funded the development of the game for ~3 years? Why then think that HoT income will fund the game going forward?

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

After the hundreds of dollars I paid for gems, no I can’t say I forgot this game is B2P…

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

ANet dropping gem store confirmed.

Oh, wait. No, it looks like we’ll still have a gem store going forward. Did you really think that the initial box price funded the development of the game for ~3 years? Why then think that HoT income will fund the game going forward?

Gem store is fluff and cosmetics not content.

(edited by BrooksP.4318)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Given that a certain other game is requiring you to pay about this price for an expansion and is not automatically including a month of play time with that purchase, I am actually pretty content with the standard price of the expansion, personally.

I’ve gotten my moneys worth of content out of the core game, so it doesn’t bother me to pay the standard asking price for an expansion one time, regardless of whether newbies are benefiting or not.

Just my two cents.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

endscape.7538

After the hundreds of dollars I paid for gems, no I can’t say I forgot this game is B2P…

Who forced you to buy gems? That was your decision.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Remember.. B2P not F2P.

Fed up with this BS backing up? Did you even play at release?

Do you even remember the promises they made during release?

We’d have patches every month, we’d never see an expansion. It didn’t fit their buiseness model. The game would evolve arround living world

And here we are 3 years later
An xpac announced for nearly as much as the full game price.

Still stuck in a boring world where patches are rare then obtaining legendaries materials ingame

Where they discontinued living world updateds and resorted to price tagging story quests for season 2.

So much for their promises.

I bought this game 3 years ago, knowing it would be B2P but without any idea we’d be ‘forced’ to shell out another 50 to continue progression and discover new lands in the world of tyria.

I expected, based on their glorious hyping, that after 3 years i would be able to log in and vendor off from where i left. No restrictions, available right from the go as you log in again.

I was a fool, but I’m not going to be fooled again.

Go ahead and feel proud on your pre-order
Go ahead and tell us how the pricing is fair to make your purchase more justifiyable

I’m still a guy that knows hype means nothing, I’m still a guy that weights value to quality & quanity.

And from the little info we know about this xpac. it wouldn’t even justify a 40$ pricetag.

Anet can fool me once, twice, but i know when their desperate tactics for money are there, and this pre-order is one of them.

Silly, obvious and ruthless marketing strategy’s.

That is all i have to say about it.

Right because this forum wasn’t flooded with people demanding an expansion, with people threatening to leave if there wasn’t an expansion. If I told my kids they’d have eggs and bacon for breakfast and three of the four wanted to have pancakes, and I made pancakes instead, I wasn’t lying when I said we’d have eggs and bacon. The situation changed.

If you can’t deal with change, you shouldn’t be playing ANY MMO.

endscape.7538

Oh and btw.. https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-warlords-of-draenor

Warlords of Draenor Expansion: $49.99 plus a monthly sub. So you should be thanking ANet.

Posted by: Yoseue.4251

Yoseue.4251

Heyho,

I don’t get why everyone is so upset about the bundle.
New players get something for free and it might get more players into the game so it doesn’t die. Be happy for them maybe? (also more players enhance the general gaming experience in a MMO as you get more interaction, so actually you get something out of it too)
You don’t complain when the game is on sale for 10€ so what’s the big difference. 10€ or 15€ was the cheapest price for GW2 if I remember it well…it’s no big deal.
This is all about people not wanting others to get shinies.

Also as others already stated, this game has no monthly fee and is dependent on sales.

Cheers,
Woods

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Remember.. B2P not F2P.

See folks, this is your classic example of strawman argument: creating a fake and false controversy and arguing against like like a hero of justice. OP: If you actually READ the threads, people don’t complain about the number in itself, they are complaining about why it is unfair to vets players vs. new people. For the basic version, both pay the same amount of money, but new players get the old content , and the new content and full 5 character slot), whereas vet players like us merely only able to bring our existing character to the next content. In case you haven’t noticed, you got ripped off too. I never seen someone so eager defending the ones that ripped you off.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Gem store is fluff and cosmetics not content.

Tell that to the people who werent around and logged in when the story chapters were updated and now have to shell out to unlock this content.

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

So , what happened today :

Attachments:

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

aw, I bought my jeans yesterday for 30$ and today they are at sale for 20$ for new clients, I guess I should complain to the store, I mean, I bought them before, why am I not getting anything else?

Posted by: Lucky Shot.7650

Lucky Shot.7650

I really really hate to white knight but…

This game gave me almost 3 years of fun, albeit with some highs and lows, for 50 buks. Sure I bought some gems every now and then, but that was out of my own free will and to buy eye candy stuff. For me it’s perfectly fine to pay 50 more to get the expansion considering how much worth my money got from the purchase of the base game in the first place. Think about it, it’s a b2p game, it’s not like you’ve been spending 15$ a month for the last 36 months.

Besides, they can price their stuff as high as they want, it’s people choice to buy it or not.

Still, we don’t really know exactly how much content we will get for the pricetag, so maybe it’s a bit early to complain now.

That being said, yeah it sucks that new players get free stuff while veteran players are getting nothing to compensate. Maybe a new character slot should be given to owners of the base game.

(edited by Lucky Shot.7650)