People complaining about the grind...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: neacaisa.9278

neacaisa.9278

I totally agree with people saying that A-NET didn’t entirely followed their initial manifesto, but i want to say that the main reason they did this is because their ideal model was not meant to last in time.
The only reason people play high-end PvE is grind, when you can easily get what you want there is no point to continue playing. I always thought that this game will be focused on PvP, because i don’t see a lot of players repeating DE or even dungeons all over again just for fun. There always have to be an objective to reach.
This change of thoughts is pretty much irrelevant because there is no major advantage for grinders in WvWvW, where zerging is much more important then high stats gear and no advantage at all in sPvP.
I think that this is the only way to attract grinders (and they are a lot out there) and i don’t see why you complain that much about this change. There is enough room for everyone, casual PvErs will get enough fun exploring, doing personal story or dynamic events, hardcore PvErs will get enough challenge in dungeon run, hardcore PvPrs will continue doing tournaments. There’s enough room for everyone, and A-NET had to attract this kind of people for the sake of lifespan.

Posted by: Leonard.2867

Leonard.2867

Why not grind for titles like… “I am the most awesome player in Guild Wars 2” instead of gear? Why does it have to be gear based? Why cant I get a title called: “Legendary Dungeon Master”? Where I do all dungeons, claim ‘x’ tokens, and do all of them in sequence without ever dieing? And if I die my achievement towards title will reset. Maybe give me a cool skin with my new title. Why does it have to be +stats?

sPvP is all about Titles, why does this have to fail in PvE?

(edited by Leonard.2867)

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Dismissing wvw as a zergfest and thus not needing balance is just blatantly ignorant.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Posted by: Tempest.1254

Tempest.1254

I entirely disagree.

Their model works just fine. It did throughout the first game. It was working just fine up until last week.

The people who bought the game and got something other than what they expected (a WoW clone) have only themselves to blame.

Content locusts have been demanding hamster wheels since a week after release. ArenaNet didn’t have to give in. They chose to go against their design philosophy and manifesto. It’s their game and it’s their choice. That’s fine.

It’s also my choice never to play or give them my money.

Posted by: Yosoy Tupapi.2913

Yosoy Tupapi.2913

The only reason people play high-end PvE is grind, when you can easily get what you want there is no point to continue playing.

Maybe people should learn to ask good questions, like:
Why is this the case?
Does it have to be so?
Can we do something better?
Can we change the game so we benefit people and profit at the same time?

Instead of settling for the old standards.

I thought asking these questions and taking up the challenges were what ArenaNet set out to do.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Why not grind for titles like… “I am the most awesome player in Guild Wars 2” instead of gear? Why does it have to be gear based? Why cant I get a title called: “Legendary Dungeon Master”? Where I do all dungeons, claim ‘x’ tokens, and do all of them in sequence without ever dieing? And if I die my achievement towards title will reset. Maybe give me a cool skin with my new title. Why does it have to be +stats?

GW1 used to be about title grind . when I stopped it was around 30/30 titles which grant you title " God Walking Among Mere Mortal". i only managed 23/30 though. it was fun. i heard later it was lifted to 50/50 with a new title.

i’m not sure why GW2 doesn’t follow the same path.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Leonard.2867

It’s funny. I played GW1 because of the PvP content. I loved doing HoH(HA) and GvG. It was fun being part of a team that worked its way to the top. What was the top? It was prestige the world could see.

I came to GW2 and abandoned its sPvP and took up PvE instead. For me sPvP in GW2 is a shadow of its former glory. However, I did find myself enjoying the PvE side. I have mastered the dungeons and continue playing them until I complete all my sets. I have just acquired my Legendary pre-curser (The Legendary system is a joke) and now working my way for that. I have yet to really gain the achievement points I want. I have yet to get all my crafting up. Still a lot for me to do instead of worrying about gear grind. Its already so annoying to farm for the legendary and I have put it on hold.

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

GW1 used to be about title grind . when I stopped it was around 30/30 titles which grant you title " God Walking Among Mere Mortal". i only managed 23/30 though. it was fun. i heard later it was lifted to 50/50 with a new title.

GWAMM still comes at 30 maxed titles. The 50/50 people refer to is the Hall of Monuments points, which counts maxed titles, minipets, armor, weapons, and hero upgrades put into the Hall of Monuments area in Eye of the North from GW1. You can learn more about it at hom.guildwars2.com

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Servanin.5021

Servanin.5021

I entirely disagree.

Their model works just fine. It did throughout the first game. It was working just fine up until last week.

The people who bought the game and got something other than what they expected (a WoW clone) have only themselves to blame.

Content locusts have been demanding hamster wheels since a week after release. ArenaNet didn’t have to give in. They chose to go against their design philosophy and manifesto. It’s their game and it’s their choice. That’s fine.

GW2 isn’t the same as GW1 though, and wasn’t even last week. Guild wars 1, you could get a few common monster drops and trade it in for the best weapon. A full level 20 set of armor was i think… 1500 gold per piece, plus mats. I think I had the means to buy a Drokknar’s forge platemail set a little after reaching Lion’s Arch.

GW2, it takes 42k karma per piece and access to a vendor that may or may not be up. On top of that, they might not be the affixes that support your build and you need to get superior sigils.

neacaisa.9278

i entirely agree with you, even last week the game was not the one promised by the devs/PR team, DE are not as game changing as promised, personal story not much of a roleplay, etc, etc.

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

I entirely disagree.

GW2 isn’t the same as GW1 though, and wasn’t even last week. Guild wars 1, you could get a few common monster drops and trade it in for the best weapon. A full level 20 set of armor was i think… 1500 gold per piece, plus mats. I think I had the means to buy a Drokknar’s forge platemail set a little after reaching Lion’s Arch.

GW2, it takes 42k karma per piece and access to a vendor that may or may not be up. On top of that, they might not be the affixes that support your build and you need to get superior sigils.

The point here is that both games had power plateu that was basicly achievable for whole population of game…well, gw1 still has.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

GWAMM still comes at 30 maxed titles. The 50/50 people refer to is the Hall of Monuments points, which counts maxed titles, minipets, armor, weapons, and hero upgrades put into the Hall of Monuments area in Eye of the North from GW1. You can learn more about it at hom.guildwars2.com

ah ok…. i stopped at 23/30 because my GW account was hacked, and the hacker deleted that character with 23/30. even though after that i got back my account, i was so downhearted i left GW … lol

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Dismissing wvw as a zergfest and thus not needing balance is just blatantly ignorant.

yep. I completely agree with you. The arrogant grinders think they know what’s best for us.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

It’s not actually the ‘grind’ most people disagree with.
It is the grind to advance instead of a grind ‘at your own leisure’. It’s why people mention vertical and horizontal progression. Need gear to get gear versus get gear to get other (often cosmetic) stuff.

There were people who complained about Legendaries being difficult to get; but they weren’t many. There were people complaining about WvW badge drop rate; but they weren’t many.
I’ve seen nobody complain about the grind to acquire titles from the achievement list.

It’s not the grind per se. It’s the enforced grind and what it represents and how many people have experienced it affecting other games most seem to object to.
And it’s the going back on words by ANet. The change in design philosophy.

It’s just easier to write ‘grind’ than a long explanation and most people seem to understand the difference …. except when wanting to cause argument.

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

The ironic thing is that my gameplay would probably hardly be affected at all. I could still be leveling alts and plaything through the now-empty explorable areas if I had any will to.

Not only that, but in reality, who’s in a better position than me to contribute the sort of grinding time necessary to get or do whatever? I have the time. I could be one of those people playing hours a day and getting ahead of everyone else.

But I won’t run in their hamster wheel, and I can’t go back to playing as usual. All I feel is anger and disappointment. I felt dirty just logging in for a few minutes earlier to see exactly how high material costs had skyrocketed.

Although I vehemently oppose its addition to the game, ascended gear itself isn’t what has made playing the game an impossibility for me. It is Anet’s apostasy that has sucked the fun out of the game. There’s no cure for that, whatever they do or don’t do in future.

(edited by Arshay Duskbrow.1306)

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Grinds should not be for stats. This gates content.

neacaisa.9278

but i hold my point i made earlier, this was not the only thing in their manifesto, they haven’t broken their promise in this weekend, but rather on release date imo. so why all the fuss NOW?

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

The only reason people play high-end PvE is grind, …

Stopped reading there. This might be the case for you and the other gear locusts out there that ruin every MMO but the good old GW1 community doesn’t need a grind to play the game. GW1 was/is played because it’s fun, not because there’s a grind.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

neacaisa.9278

i’m not a grinder, i’m just a casual gamer, didn’t even had enough time to go to level 80. i also find the game a lot of fun.

The main reason many people play high-end PvE is grind, …

fixed

Leonard.2867

It is the grind to advance instead of a grind ‘at your own leisure’. It’s why people mention vertical and horizontal progression. Need gear to get gear versus get gear to get other (often cosmetic) stuff.

There were people who complained about Legendaries being difficult to get; but they weren’t many. There were people complaining about WvW badge drop rate; but they weren’t many.
I’ve seen nobody complain about the grind to acquire titles from the achievement list.

It’s not the grind per se. It’s the enforced grind and what it represents and how many people have experienced it affecting other games most seem to object to.

It’s just easier to write ‘grind’ than a long explanation and most people seem to understand the difference …. except when wanting to cause argument.

Maybe your looking at it wrong? Achievements is more like reading a good book with a conclusion. Then you find out there is a sequel to the book. I look at the Achievements and figure out where to ponder in Tyria to complete my goals. Some are more repetitive, but its mostly from playing the game in a ‘normal’ sense.

Grinding is me purposely doing the same action over and over again. It’s more like me reading the back cover of a book over and over again. I did not really enjoy the book nor will I care about a sequel.

The difference is that I earn achievements by playing all contents of the game. I grind for a legendary in a specific location. I could have a legendary with 500 achievement points and not have a legendary at 15,000 achievement points. Yet a Legendary is suppose to be the panicle of GW2?

Columba.9730

Maybe your looking at it wrong? Achievements is more like reading a good book with a conclusion. Then you find out there is a sequel to the book. I look at the Achievements and figure out where to ponder in Tyria to complete my goals. Some are more repetitive, but its mostly from playing the game in a ‘normal’ sense.

Grinding is me purposely doing the same action over and over again. It’s more like me reading the back cover of a book over and over again. I did not really enjoy the book nor will I care about a sequel.

The difference is that I earn achievements by playing all contents of the game. I grind for a legendary in a specific location. I could have a legendary with 500 achievement points and not have a legendary at 15,000 achievement points.

If we hate dungeons, being forced to do them to remain competitive is a grind. sorry.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

The only reason people play high-end PvE is grind, when you can easily get what you want there is no point to continue playing.

There is no high end PvE in GW2, every single person I know who is a high end raider has gone back to games with… raids, some logged back in for the Halloween event for a bit of fun, then did the same for the last event, none of them see GW2 has serious PvE.

The point of playing a game is fun, if you find the actual gameplay so dull that you only play for virtual stamp collecting, well…

Posted by: azmodeus.3409

azmodeus.3409

i love the ascended gear, it was greatly needed. something to work towards without giving too much advantage.

Leonard.2867

The difference is that I earn achievements by playing all contents of the game. I grind for a legendary in a specific location. I could have a legendary with 500 achievement points and not have a legendary at 15,000 achievement points.

If we hate dungeons, being forced to do them to remain competitive is a grind. sorry.

What? I started dungeons with rare gear. My first exotic dungeon set was from TA. Then with mats I had and some bought, I had my friend CRAFT me an exotic set. All other sets of armor from dungeons is my reward for grouping with friends to master the mechanics of each dungeon.

If you spent 10mins with me on Ventrilo during a dungeon run, you will know that I hate skipping content that is considered hard by the GW2 community. Of lately, I have pugged a few CoF and insisted that we defend Mag the legit way.

Most importantly is that you do not have to run dungeons to remain competitive. There is many ways to obtain exotic gear, and you don’t even have to step foot in a dungeon if you want a Legendary.

Leonard.2867

i love the ascended gear, it was greatly needed. something to work towards without giving too much advantage.

Advantage against who? Other players in WvW? Other mobs/bosses in other dungeons?

Can you take full exotics from Arah and run lvl 20 FOTM? Even playing field?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It is Anet’s apostasy that has sucked the fun out of the game. There’s no cure for that, whatever they do or don’t do in future.

It’s not that which makes me feel dirty, and I’m not even really convinced ArenaNet is a swindling company. What makes me feel dirty is enjoying playing the game when I’m clearly doing it wrong.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Alberel Leonhart.9640

Alberel Leonhart.9640

It is Anet’s apostasy that has sucked the fun out of the game. There’s no cure for that, whatever they do or don’t do in future.

It’s not that which makes me feel dirty, and I’m not even really convinced ArenaNet is a swindling company. What makes me feel dirty is enjoying playing the game when I’m clearly doing it wrong.

I don’t think ANet is a swindling company at all in reality. There’s a nice post over on MMORPG.com that highlights a number of little references in the latest patch to the effect that Nexon has taken over. Clearly at least some of the staff at ANet are not happy with what they’re being forced to do…

Posted by: Aleaf.8174

Aleaf.8174

Advantage against who? Other players in WvW? Other mobs/bosses in other dungeons?

Agony as a mechanic during boss fight is simply tacked onto most large scale AoE attacks/projectiles as it is. So if you avoid the circles and dodge the balls of fun coming you’re way, you will more or less be able to clear the content without Ascendant Gear.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t think ANet is a swindling company at all in reality.

It’s not you, and it’s not exact words I’m talking about, it’s the sentiment that I’m a DIRTY CONSPIRATOR for enjoying when I set aside time to play the game.

I thought I was used to it, seeing as how Pokemon Black is still in my DS.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Leonard.2867

Agony as a mechanic during boss fight is simply tacked onto most large scale AoE attacks/projectiles as it is. So if you avoid the circles and dodge the balls of fun coming you’re way, you will more or less be able to clear the content without Ascendant Gear.

Aye, thank you for answering. So from your experience, why does one need ascended gear then? Why do we need +stats and anti-agony?

Columba.9730

What? I started dungeons with rare gear. My first exotic dungeon set was from TA. Then with mats I had and some bought, I had my friend CRAFT me an exotic set. All other sets of armor from dungeons is my reward for grouping with friends to master the mechanics of each dungeon.

If you spent 10mins with me on Ventrilo during a dungeon run, you will know that I hate skipping content that is considered hard by the GW2 community. Of lately, I have pugged a few CoF and insisted that we defend Mag the legit way.

Most importantly is that you do not have to run dungeons to remain competitive. There is many ways to obtain exotic gear, and you don’t even have to step foot in a dungeon if you want a Legendary.

Lol, did you miss the detail that ascended gear is 20-50% better than exotic? Besides, I have zero interest in mastering the mechanics of any dungeon, lol. Why force me to do so?

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Rather than having one part that you need to grind, Guild Wars 2 should be more about playing the way you want, and being rewarded as such. The more you play the more you are awarded. Right now, there’s no great incentive to actually play out in the world. People grind the most efficient paths, because most parts of the game aren’t all that rewarding to spend time in.

There should be more to do all over the game. You shouldn’t be able to take one step without being throw into a event chain. There should be chains that reward you for perseverance, and there should be hard chains that reward you for your effort. Some events take moments to finish, but reward you the same as another one that takes minutes in a drawn out fight.

Likewise, dungeons feel grindy because some boss fights are tank and spank. You dodge here and there, while whittling away at a health bar for five to ten minutes. And far too many fights are like this.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Aye, thank you for answering. So from your experience, why does one need ascended gear then? Why do we need +stats and anti-agony?

You “need” anti-agony if only to buffer your survival in case you can’t dodge in time. It’s a safety net, so you can be a little sloppy and not be wrecked.

The stats? I’m not sure. I think the +Stats are there because the Infusions may . . . may . . . be overall weaker than gemstones/runes/crests since the Agony resistance takes the place of a stat.

neacaisa.9278

^^i definitely feel that poor DE implementation and lack of reasons to spend time in starting zones are more of a problem than this new fractals dungeon and the new gear.

Aleaf.8174

Lol, did you miss the detail that ascended gear is 20-50% better than exotic? Besides, I have zero interest in mastering the mechanics of any dungeon, lol. Why force me to do so?

For something that gives about 8 more Power/Precision, I find it hard to believe it will be 20-50% better than exotics. And by your math, that’d mean Exotics are close to 200% times better than Rares

Aleaf.8174

I gotcha in the other post.

Columba.9730

You haven’t looked at the items very carefully then, lol.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You haven’t looked at the items very carefully then, lol.

Post them, then. I’m going to call your bluff. Post screenshots or image links.

Onshidesigns.1069

For something that gives about 8 more Power/Precision, I find it hard to believe it will be 20-50% better than exotics. And by your math, that’d mean Exotics are close to 200% times better than Rares

They said they will add more.

Reset the stats and put the infusions on all exotics. Collecting Exotic and upgrading them provides much more endgame and doesn’t limit endgame to one location.

Aleaf.8174

Reset the stats and put the infusions on all exotics. Collecting Exotic and upgrading them provides much more endgame and doesn’t limit endgame to one location.

They said they will add more Ascendant Gear, not more stats.

Onshidesigns.1069

The stat increase over exotics outside endless dungeons needs to go. It will destroy the game.

Aleaf.8174

The stat increase over exotics outside endless dungeons needs to go. It will destroy the game.

How is the stat increase any different from the stat increase from Rare > Exotics? If anything the difference between Rares and Exotics is a bigger problem than Exotics and Pinks.

And I’m pretty sure they announced they would release ways to acquire Pinks outside of FotM. Oh and btw, you actually craft the Pinks via Mystic Forge. And you get most of the mats outside the endless dungeon anyways so no worries there^^

The only thing you get from the dungeon is Vials and I’ve gotten like 5 vials going from lvl 1 to 6 the first day.

Leonard.2867

Ruby Orichalcum Ring of the Beserker
+67 Power
+48 Precision
+3% Critical Damage
w/ Exuisite Ruby Jewel
+ 25Power
+ 3 Critical Damage
+ 15 Precision

Total:
+92 Power
+63 Precision
+6% Critical Damage

vs.

Vine of the Pale Tree (Ascended Ring)
+103 Power
+50 Precision
+8% Critical Damage
+18 Vitality
-Unused Defensive Infusion Slot

Posted this on wrong thread. Anyways, I don’t know about you guys but even a +2% Critical Damage and 180 Health is a HUGE increase.

Columba.9730

Many haven’t gotten any essences since its rng driven.

Leonard.2867

How is the stat increase any different from the stat increase from Rare > Exotics? If anything the difference between Rares and Exotics is a bigger problem than Exotics and Pinks.

And I’m pretty sure they announced they would release ways to acquire Pinks outside of FotM. Oh and btw, you actually craft the Pinks via Mystic Forge. And you get most of the mats outside the endless dungeon anyways so no worries there^^

The only thing you get from the dungeon is Vials and I’ve gotten like 5 vials going from lvl 1 to 6 the first day.

The Difference is: can you obtain Ascended gear from previous established dungeons?

Columba.9730

Why can’t they be obtained via WvWvW from day one?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Some notes:
- It’s not 2% Critical Chance, it’s 2% Critical Damage . . . mild difference but given my criticals are around 2500-3000 from my current bow, it doesn’t seem that big a gain.
- +11 Power, dunno what that translates to in raw damage . . .
- -13 Precision, meaning LESS chance of a critical; note that I’ve heard from some stat crunchers that Precision’s affect on Critical Chance diminishes after a point.
- +18 Vitality, which is +180 Health. Nothing much to say here, I’m good . . .

But comparing the two, while there’s definitely a small step up there is definitely a different arrangement of stats. Let’s see another one . . .

Posted by: Alberel Leonhart.9640

Alberel Leonhart.9640

Ruby Orichalcum Ring of the Beserker
+67 Power
+48 Precision
+3% Critical Damage
w/ Exuisite Ruby Jewel
+ 25Power
+ 3 Critical Damage
+ 15 Precision

Total:
+92 Power
+63 Precision
+6% Critical Damage

vs.

Vine of the Pale Tree (Ascended Ring)
+103 Power
+50 Precision
+8% Critical Damage
+18 Vitality
-Unused Defensive Infusion Slot

Posted this on wrong thread. Anyways, I don’t know about you guys but even a +2% Critical Damage and 180 Health is a HUGE increase.

Don’t forget stats like power, crit chance and crit damage have a compounded effect as well. That’s not just +2% crit damage extra because you’re critting more often and it’s scaling up from a higher base damage.

Aleaf.8174

The Difference is: can you obtain Ascended gear from previous established dungeons?

And technically you can since a majority of the drops don’t even come from the Fractal itself. And let’s face it, Explorer Mode is faceroll easy. I can prolly beat Giganticus solo.

Well if they had released Fractals on day 1, would it have changed your view on Pink?

Leonard.2867

Why can’t they be obtained via WvWvW from day one?

A bigger problem is: Why can a person doing a level 35 dungeon obtain the same stat gear as from a level 80 dungeon, yet a person cannot get Ascended gear in a level 80 dungeon but can in a ‘player’ level one dungeon?