People who are afraid of PK...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

But are in PK areas because they have a need to be. Now, why would people be afraid of PK? Because if you lose to a mob zerg, no one knows, since AIs defeat you whereas someone else defeating you exposes you as an inferior player to whoever beat you. Now, when people do lose they blame “class” for it. Of course it’s a factor, and not all classes and builds are optimized for PK, but people need to be more humble and admit that there’s always a lot to learn. Maybe you try being a damage dealer, but your class is optimized for support or tanking?

I remember someone trying to run away from me as I was attacking them on the way to a borderland jumping puzzle, and I defeated them without any real problem. Yes, that was on my thief in his PvP (AKA berzerker) gear against a green arrow.

Another situation on my ele was one vs. three. I was switching attunements, using abilities as the situation demanded, used wind staff 5 cage at the right moment, but still didn’t win, but… that particular group knows that I am not afraid of PK and risk making myself look like a noob worthy of my fellow gamers’ contempt. The next round on it was much better, but I had NPC and some player help.

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

I could give you several reasons for both sides; what upsets one and another. But one thing Is a fact for both:
It’s just a game.

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

PvP section is thataway —-→

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Anyone who is afraid of PK in a game where you lose nothing for dying in a PvP bout should probably reconsider ever entering the PvP zones.

Anyone who actually gives 2 craps about whether the person they battle with is afraid of PK in a game where you lose nothing for dying in a PvP bout, and actually attributes merit to that persons personality or character because of it, really needs to stop playing for a moment, take a step back from the game and reevaluate where they are in life.

Agemnon.4608

I could give you several reasons for both sides; what upsets one and another. But one thing Is a fact for both:
It’s just a game.

Yes, it is a game, but people seem to be afraid of being exposed as weak as if there were shame in it. Maybe they had a bad lag, are new and have a lot to learn about the classes, have bad gear, or simply need to learn? The game also isn’t balanced around 1v1 and zergs should theoretically give people a comfort, as they lose their individuality and become part of the group, so if you get outplayed, you get outplayed together so all get to share in the defeat, or victory if the opposite is true.

Agemnon.4608

Anyone who is afraid of PK in a game where you lose nothing for dying in a PvP bout should probably reconsider ever entering the PvP zones.

Anyone who actually gives 2 craps about whether the person they battle with is afraid of PK in a game where you lose nothing for dying in a PvP bout, and actually attributes merit to that persons personality or character because of it, really needs to stop playing for a moment, take a step back from the game and reevaluate where they are in life.

You lose nothing, but get exposed as an inferior player (at least to whomever you lose to I don’t mean overall inferior). You can especially humiliate someone if you have a grudge and break their equipment and have a temporary shame, but I personally never felt that way towards anyone.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

You lose nothing, but get exposed as an inferior player (at least to whomever you lose to I don’t mean overall inferior). You can especially humiliate someone if you have a grudge and break their equipment and have a temporary shame, but I personally never felt that way towards anyone.

I’ve been playing almost exclusively PvP in games for the past 15 years, bouncing from Ultima → Shadowbane → EVE Online → Darkfall … and I can say I have never felt that seriously about PvP. If I kill someone I don’t think “Wow, what an inferior player. Oh the shame he must feel”. If I get killed I don’t think “My god! The shame! How can I show my face to others now?!”.

This is the strangest thing I’ve read in a long LONG time lol.

Posted by: myng.3516

myng.3516

Some people tend to take PvP over the top. There’s hardcore and then there’s bat-poop crazy. They act as though one death on their team is a loss, or that person can’t play properly cause they died once, therefore that person is less likely to join in any raids/zergs/whatnots. That’s just being a downright bully. I don’t condone nor support that kind of treatment.

I’ll admit, I am a PvE’er, however, that doesn’t mean that I won’t go WvW and chuck a few spells at other players. Will I be good at it? No, since I don’t practice PvP’ing (although I am getting better at dodging!), but don’t go bashing me because I can’t PvP “properly” or “the way you want it”.

Sorry for the mild rant.

Overpaid, Underplayed

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

someone else defeating you exposes you as an inferior player to whoever beat you.

I sense an inferiority complex here. My advice – you don’t have to constantly “prove” to others how “superior” you are. Nobody cares anyway.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Redrumickey.9672

Redrumickey.9672

PK is from my experiences in other game usually happens with unfair odds or exploited tricks and is done not for fun but to make the victim missable its what PKer get off on . I’ve have given up ever wanting to play in any Pvp from all the years off pking .One shot , kills invisible enemies , unkillable players , wearing no clothes or weapons but able to taking out 6 season players by himself in 10 sec. and the list goes on .There no fun in that unless you enjoy being a kitten to other players.

PvP is done on a level playing field where only skill comes to play and both parties leave have fun. Great length have been taken to keep pvp in Gw2 fair but there will always be a few who just have have the upper hand and thankfully sooner or later they will get ban.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

You want to PK?

Go play PvP.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Hehe, I love PvP…but I don’t consider it some kind of “kitten” measuring contest, where I have to prove my tribal dominance over other players.

Instead, I just love the competition, I love constantly trying to better myself, and more than anything, I love finding a player that is really challenging to beat. Oftentimes, if I find such a player, I will send them a tell with something like “good fight” in it, whether I win or lose…they are almost always really polite in response. At least from what I’ve seen, the really skilled players tend to be respectful of other skilled players.

Now that said…if someone dies in a really stupid way, or loses a fight that they really should have had hands down…then I’m gonna /laugh at them lol. For exmaple…

1. Running across my spawn border after I let you down me and then mistform across to trick you in…that’s a big /laugh.

2. Losing when you had 3v1 odds and you weren’t all sub 80…that’s a big /laugh.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Krimpton.4879

Krimpton.4879

But are in PK areas because they have a need to be. Now, why would people be afraid of PK? Because if you lose to a mob zerg, no one knows, since AIs defeat you whereas someone else defeating you exposes you as an inferior player to whoever beat you. Now, when people do lose they blame “class” for it. Of course it’s a factor, and not all classes and builds are optimized for PK, but people need to be more humble and admit that there’s always a lot to learn. Maybe you try being a damage dealer, but your class is optimized for support or tanking?

I remember someone trying to run away from me as I was attacking them on the way to a borderland jumping puzzle, and I defeated them without any real problem. Yes, that was on my thief in his PvP (AKA berzerker) gear against a green arrow.

Another situation on my ele was one vs. three. I was switching attunements, using abilities as the situation demanded, used wind staff 5 cage at the right moment, but still didn’t win, but… that particular group knows that I am not afraid of PK and risk making myself look like a noob worthy of my fellow gamers’ contempt. The next round on it was much better, but I had NPC and some player help.

Are you lost..?

Or maybe just confused.

This is the general section of the forum. pvp section is just below go post pvp things in that.
Having said that i have read your post 3 times now { my brain withering with each attempt} and i still cant see what point you are trying to make.

abot 90% of your post it seems is made up of how you killed other people in pvp. ?? congtrats well done i think that maybe thats what your meant to do, im sure those that are interested are impressed.

Most of us are not :p

Agemnon.4608

Are you lost..?

Or maybe just confused.

This is the general section of the forum. pvp section is just below go post pvp things in that.
Having said that i have read your post 3 times now { my brain withering with each attempt} and i still cant see what point you are trying to make.

abot 90% of your post it seems is made up of how you killed other people in pvp. ?? congtrats well done i think that maybe thats what your meant to do, im sure those that are interested are impressed.

Most of us are not :p

The point is many of these people want treasure chest and an exploration achievement, but actively seek to avoid PvP despite actually being in a PvP zone. Also, why people could be afraid. After all, no one wants to be the one responsible for their team losing. In WoW everyone just blamed the people who didn’t have upgraded gear (which you need to battleground to earn in the first place).

Posted by: luchifer.6401

luchifer.6401

and what about the people who want to PK but are afraid of WvW and sPvP?

Posted by: Krimpton.4879

Krimpton.4879

‘’The point is many of these people want treasure chest and an exploration achievement, but actively seek to avoid PvP despite actually being in a PvP zone. Also, why people could be afraid. After all, no one wants to be the one responsible for their team losing. In WoW everyone just blamed the people who didn’t have upgraded gear (which you need to battleground to earn in the first place).’’

Well you can blame Anet for that..

For putting vista’s.. points of interest and such in the pvp are that was needed for 100% map completion.

I know in regards to me i went into WvW just for those things. i never attempted any pvp at all, and if i was attacked if i couldnt get away i would log out..

Most of the time a simple ’’wave’’ or a ’’bow’’ to an opposing member was enough for them to realise that i wasnt interested in pvp and they left me alone.

For those knuckleheads that simply had to kill somone or there day wasnt complete as i say i logged out and didnt give them the satisfaction.

And no before anyone says it im not ’’scared’’ of losing to another player or it hurts my feelings or any of that. i just can’t see the point of it, it just does not interest me.

So yea up until i got 100% map completion i was one of them guys taking up your precious room in WvW just hanging around picking daisy’s looking at scenery NOT doing one bit of pvp.

Just like an awfull lot more people too gathering by how many i was standing around next to in there on a daily basis :p

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Doesn’t seem relevant to a game where you can’t be attacked by another player in all of Tyria, nor in a game with no pk qualities. You don’t even lose xp, let alone drop items.

Posted by: Azoetia.2183

Azoetia.2183

The only reason I don’t like having world completion stuff in PVP areas is that there’s always a battle going on nearby when I’m trying to reach POIs or vistas and I feel bad about not pitching in. I don’t like being the person heading the opposite way while everyone else is rushing to face the enemy. So I end up running to the fight instead (not that I’m much of an asset I’m sure) and 2 hours later I haven’t increased my completion percentage at all. Lots of fun, but that stuff just wasn’t getting done.

I finally went and got my W3 completion finished a couple weeks ago when my server was dominating all the maps.

Posted by: graceangel.3618

graceangel.3618

Well.. in a matter of speaking, you can’t really even be “pk’d” in this game. PK is usually being player killed in the open world/game zones. Which, can’t really happen. Technically, you might be able to arrange an accident.. but that takes a lot of effort and planning. I’ve only ever heard of it being attempted to toy with botters.

Well.. in a matter of speaking, you can’t really even be “pk’d” in this game. PK is usually being player killed in the open world/game zones. Which, can’t really happen. Technically, you might be able to arrange an accident.. but that takes a lot of effort and planning. I’ve only ever heard of it being attempted to toy with botters.if you’re in sPVP or WvW, guess what? you willfully and knowingly entered a pvp realm. you cannot QQ about being “pk’d” in a pvp zone. It’s not like you had to pass through a borderlands to get to Staights of devestation or kessex hills. You walk through a gate that explicitly takes you to a pvp zone. If you do that, you have zero business complaining about what happens to you there. You step into their world accepting whatever happens. Don’t like it? Don’t go there. Gotta go there for the achievement? Suck it up.

Posted by: Darfod.9375

Darfod.9375

@ The OP…

It’s not that people are afraid of PKs / PVP: They just don’t want to be forced into PVP areas to complete PVE titles.

I am not afraid of PVP.
I have PVPd in every game I play.
I learned to fight in a world where if I killed you, I could loot you of ALL your armour and weapons, and leave you naked and unarmed. (I would love to see this implemented in WvWvW; but I know it’s never going to happen, so it’s not something I complain about.)

What I, (and many others), object to is that PVErs are forced into PVP maps in order to claim a PVE title like “map completion”

If I am PVEing, I will search-out waypoints, vistas, etc, for the sake of “completion.”
If I am PVPing in W3, I will PK / attack keeps / etc. I don’t want to have to think “Oooh! I need to stop fighting, and try to get that vista.”

The “not separating PVE maps from PVP maps” is a mistake which ANET have carried-over from GW1 – I hated having to run around PVP maps on a PVE character, just to get the cartographer title.

TL:DR – We are not afraid of PVP; we just don’t want our PVE characters to be forced onto PVP maps.

Outnumbered and facedown in WSR borderlands…
… again

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

The little bit of pve in wvw can be done in a very short amount of time. It’s not nearly the hours-long endeavor that zone completion of pve maps entails. The task more on par with getting map complete in a city.

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

There is no real shame in it, maybe they simply don’t want to fight? Only Pk oriented in this world is WvW, many go there to simply complete the world or gather stuff, if they run away from you is the same as telling you “I know I will loose, I don’t wanna walk here again…leave me alone?” Winning against someone who can’t fight back is a real shameful act. Unless they attack first or try to gang me I usually ignore people minding their own business.

@Darfod: That’s how I got most of my gear in several games <3!!

(edited by Lyonell.1753)

Posted by: Ivalice.3174

Ivalice.3174

So a green arrow, low level player ran from you, probably because he didn’t want to die and had to run all the way back to the puzzle yet you still chased and killed him. Then you engaged in a 1v3 combat just to show them that you were not “afraid”. Wow!

This is Guild Wars, not kitten Wars bro.

Posted by: Luigio.3265

Luigio.3265

for the same reason you chased that player to kill him , you like killing them , they like staying alive

its just a game you need to grow up if that kind of thing bothers you

Posted by: GregT.4702

GregT.4702

Also they should put in areas where I can play Call of Duty and maybe a naked ladies zone and also I should be able to order real beer delivered to my house from the Trading Post.

I think it’s ridiculous that Guild Wars 2 doesn’t cater to all of my possible interests and replace all of my other pastimes and games. Why you make me still play Halo, Anet? WHY?

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

@ The OP…

It’s not that people are afraid of PKs / PVP: They just don’t want to be forced into PVP areas to complete PVE titles.

I am not afraid of PVP.
I have PVPd in every game I play.
I learned to fight in a world where if I killed you, I could loot you of ALL your armour and weapons, and leave you naked and unarmed. (I would love to see this implemented in WvWvW; but I know it’s never going to happen, so it’s not something I complain about.)

What I, (and many others), object to is that PVErs are forced into PVP maps in order to claim a PVE title like “map completion”

If I am PVEing, I will search-out waypoints, vistas, etc, for the sake of “completion.”
If I am PVPing in W3, I will PK / attack keeps / etc. I don’t want to have to think “Oooh! I need to stop fighting, and try to get that vista.”

The “not separating PVE maps from PVP maps” is a mistake which ANET have carried-over from GW1 – I hated having to run around PVP maps on a PVE character, just to get the cartographer title.

TL:DR – We are not afraid of PVP; we just don’t want our PVE characters to be forced onto PVP maps.

I missed the part where Map Completion was labeled as a PVE achievement by ANET. It is clearly a PVX title, as it includes both PVE and PVP elements. If you want this PVX achievement, it’s fairly likely that you’re going to have to do both the PVE and PVP requirements.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Shostie.6435

Shostie.6435

Grats OP, it sounds like you’re awesome at PvP. Maybe you should write about book about your exploits.

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

Thank you, OP, for reminding me one of the reasons why I, as a PvE’er who has virtually no experience in any sort of PvP, have decided not to bother with world completion.

But of course, if I ever ventured into PvP either for world completion or just to try it out, I would be an “inferior” player and I would probably run away if I encountered a skilled (?) player that was intent on killing me. Why stay and let my character be slaughtered, would be my reasoning. We aren’t all awesome PvP’ers, y’know, and some of us know it even without getting our rear kicked. :P

(edited by Passiflora.2047)

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Thank you, OP, for reminding me one of the reasons why I, as a PvE’er who has virtually no experience in any sort of PvP, have decided not to bother with world completion.

But of course, if I ever ventured into PvP either for world completion or just to try it out, I would be an “inferior” player and I would probably run away if I encountered a skilled (?) player that was intent on killing me. Why stay and let my character be slaughtered, would be my reasoning. We aren’t all awesome PvP’ers, y’know, and some of us know it even without getting our rear kicked. :P

^THIS. I too will most probably never have the gold star on any of my characters, and I believe this was one of things that ANet did wrong. As a solo player exploration was one of the major selling points for the PVE side of the game, but I must say with it being mandatory to explore WvWvW I’ll pass.