Perfect way to introduce New World Bosses

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

EDIT 1/31/2014: after spending way more hours than usual on the new boss fights, which I like overall, I wanted to revisit an option I suggested for brand new world boss fights in GW2. A sort of compromise that when you defeat an initial boss then you could have the OPTION to go on to a harder or additional phase (this already exists in the game now- see the link below). Sure it would need some tweaking so I would love to hear what -players say now after the latest new bosses have been implemented. I didn’t want to discuss farming bosses or the merits of the most efficient way to accumulate gold, just more options for players than the revamped Tequatl boss fight.

I am really opposed to the placement of the hardest content in the game in lower level zones like Lornar’s Pass, Bloodtide Coast and Sparkfly fen. The hardest content in the game should be in level 80 zones, in my opinion. This would solve many problems. In my opinion, as well, they should introduce entire new zones for newest most difficult content, which I have no idea they haven’t already done.(seems unlikely but you can’t always get what you want… =o )

original post below
——————————————————————————————————————
It already exists in the game !!

Defeat the misplaced steam ogre
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_the_misplaced_steam_ogre

(here’s a video if you haven’t done it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9zNa6VsOw)

^ that’s not the best video but it shows players jumping in the portal to fight the Champion Steam Ogre AFTER they fight the fire elemental in the Thaumanova Reactor.

The players have the CHOICE to fight the old boss, and if they choose to they can fight the new boss.

This is how Tequatl’s revamp should have been done: save the original World Boss fight and add a new CHOICE to fight a revamped World boss.

Sparkfly Fen is a level 55-65 zone and there is no way an impromptu group of level 55-65 players can overcome Tequatl. Many bosses are in lower level zones and if there are any plans to revamp other bosses, the model that exists in the game already with champion Steam ogre would work well for any new Boss fights planned – much better than what was done with the Tequatl fight.

Claw of jormag, do anything you want with that fight but leave the rest of the original World Boss fights as they are and just add an OPTION to fight any new World Boss additional encounters.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

(edited by Mahaedros.7085)

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

It already exists in the game !!

Defeat the misplaced steam ogre
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_the_misplaced_steam_ogre

(here’s a video if you haven’t done it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9zNa6VsOw)

^ that’s not the best video but it shows players jumping in the portal to fight the Champion Steam Ogre AFTER they fight the fire elemental in the Thaumanova Reactor.

The players have the CHOICE to fight the old boss, and if they choose to they can fight the new boss.

This is how Tequatl’s revamp should have been done: save the original World Boss fight and add a new CHOICE to fight a revamped World boss.

Sparkfly Fen is a level 55-65 zone and there is no way an impromptu group of 55-65 players can overcome Tequatl. Many bosses are in lower level zones and if there are any plans to revamp other bosses, the model that exists in the game already with champion Steam ogre would work well for any new Boss fights planned – much better than what was done with the Tequatl fight.

Claw of jormag, do anything you want with that fight but leave the rest of the original World Boss fights as they are and just add an OPTION to fight any new World Boss additional encounters.

So kind of like a round 2 idea. Beat them they drop a standard world boss chest as They flee some where like a portal or cave anything along those lines with the option of us chasing them and finish them off for a even better chest.

#ELEtism

Mahaedros.7085

exactly. You have the original and the choice to fight the new one.

I liked doing the old Tequatl fight on alts and a few of us used to fight the Risen swarm on my server on a regular basis while everyone else fought the dragon. It was great fun.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’d prefer they offer new World Boss keys in the Gem Store. Then, someone who purchases said key, can open an Asura Gate for his guild. That way, people willing to pay for fights will gain access to exclusive bosses. There’d be a lot less complaints from players who don’t wish to participate.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Mahaedros.7085

I’d prefer they offer new World Boss keys in the Gem Store. Then, someone who purchases said key, can open an Asura Gate for his guild. That way, people willing to pay for fights will gain access to exclusive bosses. There’d be a lot less complaints from players who don’t wish to participate.

That’s one way to do it I guess… but the way it is now in the game, you fight the fire elemental boss and then you have the OPTION to go and fight the champion Steam Ogre.

This is a great model and it allows players to choose (and not have to purchase anything to fight a boss… but a mechanic similar to what they use in the Living story would be fine, get a key for achieving the meta…)

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Sure, they should just bring back the old Teq with reward 1 daily chest of 1 rare (no chance of ascended) and 1 ground chest of blue and green with 20 dragonite ore, together with just 300 karma only.

You still have to fight the new Teq for your chance of ascended stuffs, 5 rares, and 14k+ karma

Yes ? If a boss only requires you to stand there and press 1, the reward should be just as pathetic.

You might as well skip this “old” Teq and do Shatterer or Dwayna or something.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I like this idea a lot — especially if the player limitations of the original map aren’t there. It’d be great not to have to camp an event for hours just to do an event on my home server/the “right” overflow. Having the tougher mechanics be an optional “round two” would mean my alts, who may be appropriately leveled for the zone but not the boss, can actually help out if they’re in the area. Nice suggestion!

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Or they can just nerf the new tequatil so that the open world content is there for everyone who wants to participate in it and doesn’t require specialized guilds and VOIP. After all they shouldn’t be restricting this content in the manner they are, if they want “more challenging bosses” that’s what guild missions are for. Make these guilds run around the world cleansing (vanquishing) minions until said boss is irritated enough to make a random appearance anywhere in the permissible zones, not just 1 map.

But that would leave them doing more work instead of just scraping the existing platform spot and putting in what they feel are new and interesting combat mechanics that essentially boil down to throw more bodies at it.

Posted by: matty.1052

matty.1052

Or they can just nerf the new tequatil so that the open world content is there for everyone who wants to participate in it and doesn’t require specialized guilds and VOIP.

Voice comms and specialized guilds aren’t needed to beat Teq. Once you know who needs to be where, any large group of people can do it via map chat.

I like killing Teq, so I did join TTS because my server doesn’t do it very often. However, I’ve ended up in unorganized overflows several times and still seen it accomplished.

I don’t think the original bosses with the same mechanics should be kept around. The Shatterer and SB are ridiculous right now – just stand in one place and spam 1. They both need to be upgraded and made less boring.

I do think when they make changes for future bosses, they need to make the first phase easier. I know it can be demoralizing for new people trying it out to fail without even passing the first part.

Tarnished Coast

Mahaedros.7085

^
keep the current bosses add new ones and make them optionally accessible like the Champion Steam Ogre.

everyone is happy and lower level characters can fight the boss in their level range and people that want more of a challenge can have that option.

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

Or they can just nerf the new tequatil so that the open world content is there for everyone who wants to participate in it and doesn’t require specialized guilds and VOIP.

Voice comms and specialized guilds aren’t needed to beat Teq. Once you know who needs to be where, any large group of people can do it via map chat.

I like killing Teq, so I did join TTS because my server doesn’t do it very often. However, I’ve ended up in unorganized overflows several times and still seen it accomplished.

I don’t think the original bosses with the same mechanics should be kept around. The Shatterer and SB are ridiculous right now – just stand in one place and spam 1. They both need to be upgraded and made less boring.

I do think when they make changes for future bosses, they need to make the first phase easier. I know it can be demoralizing for new people trying it out to fail without even passing the first part.

Isn’t that exactly what 90% of the people in the zerg fighting Tequatl do?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I really like the idea- It would also eliminate the need to camp Teq for an hour on your server before a 15 min fight.

I also miss the old Teq- I used to kill him everytime I was in the area no matter what my level- Now I have to put a whole evening aside just for a chance to get to fight.

It is fine for what it is but not for everyday

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

You can debate the difficulty of this encounter now people have learned how to do it, but I seriously doubt you can defeat tequatl with a full Sparkfly Fen map at his feet if 90% of them just autoattack, even disregarding required positioning and jumping in order to stay alive. I have only done it with my ele since I feel I contribute the most with it, but with my other classes just standing and autoattacking would probably still be incredibly ineffective.

If you really do it this way you just leech off of the others who ARE trying to put a dent in that health bar.

To OP, while it would be a nice way to introduce some new world bosses, I think the new tequatl was a step in the right direction and I hope to see some more open world encounters like this, even in lower level zones if neccesary. I don’t see the use of locking them in an instance. What difference does it make if a newbie gets into trouble on a hard world event or if he gets into trouble in the optional superboss instance after a ridiculously simple hp-bag encounter? I would still wander in out of curiosity anyway, newbie or not.

I also agree with the notion of others that the autoattack spam fests like the Shadow Behemoth or Shatterer are an insult to what this game’s can produce in terms of mechanics, and should be made more challenging (not neccesarily to the level of revamped Tequatl, something like the new fire elemental is already better).

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

You can debate the difficulty of this encounter now people have learned how to do it, but I seriously doubt you can defeat tequatl with a full Sparkfly Fen map at his feet if 90% of them just autoattack, even disregarding required positioning and jumping in order to stay alive. I have only done it with my ele since I feel I contribute the most with it, but with my other classes just standing and autoattacking would probably still be incredibly ineffective.

If you really do it this way you just leech off of the others who ARE trying to put a dent in that health bar.

To OP, while it would be a nice way to introduce some new world bosses, I think the new tequatl was a step in the right direction and I hope to see some more open world encounters like this, even in lower level zones if neccesary. I don’t see the use of locking them in an instance. What difference does it make if a newbie gets into trouble on a hard world event or if he gets into trouble in the optional superboss instance after a ridiculously simple hp-bag encounter? I would still wander in out of curiosity anyway, newbie or not.

I also agree with the notion of others that the autoattack spam fests like the Shadow Behemoth or Shatterer are an insult to what this game’s can produce in terms of mechanics, and should be made more challenging (not neccesarily to the level of revamped Tequatl, something like the new fire elemental is already better).

Why would you debate it when that’s exactly how the boss fight is?
The mass of people serve only as a pool of constantly renewable spamming minions,
you die? You res at a waypoint, or you stay there and get res’d by the living who outnumber the dead.
With enough guardians regeneration and people’s health, you can sit there all hitting 1 while the 6 people on turrets are the only ones impacting survivability.
When there is a zerg there is no difficulty, and you arguing that teq was an improvement because it’s not a big zergfest like other bosses is totally inaccurate, because that is precisely what it is, for the majority.

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Specifically Tequatl (or open-world revamps like it) – an NPC you can talk to that will spawn you an overflow with the buffed Tequatl. The underflow Tequatl will have all the same mechanics except attacks/HP/loot nerfed.
5-man content – as you suggested.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

I agree that more choice is always a good thing, but what would exactly this change accomplish ? In the old Teq fight, you could auto attack while sipping coffee. You can’t do that now (or to elaborate, if enough people did that the event would fail because of the turrets/batteries mechanics, their protection and insufficient DPS).

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t leaving the old Teq fight just bring one more way to farm ? And if braindead farming is the goal, I’d reckon that what is most efficient way is the best way, and that is Frostgorge Champion train (AFAIK).
So what would be the purpose of leaving the old fight in ?

Mahaedros.7085

I guess it just boils down to choice… currently, there is no choice and often if you get into overflow there is no chance of defeating new Teq (not enough people there etc). So while before we had old Teq, now we have no Teq (unless you arrive an hour early or have a guild etc).

I do not believe there is any chance that they will ever bring back/ resurrect the old Teq fight and that is really not what i was hoping for or asking for- I would just like to see new fights added differently than the way the Teq fight was added. Also, in my opinion, a fight like new Tequatl’s should be in a level 80 zone.

So i’m not specifically asking Anet to bring back the old Tequatl fight, but just to do any future World Boss revamps differently.

All too often when you go to Sparkfly Fen to do the Tequatl encounter it’s a ghost town or you get put into an overflow without enough people.

Personally, I guess I would just like more choices. Sometimes I like to go to Orr, sometimes I like to go to Frostgorge. More level 80 zones would be nice…

Mahaedros.7085

edit 1/31/2014 post wurm

I should have changed the title because it would obviously need some tweaks by the team at A-net to become perfect :P but hopefully will spark some ideas for improvement over what we are getting now- which I like but could be even better.