Permanent versus black lion gathering tool

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I have a bunch of Black Lion Gathering Tools (yellow) in my bank as well as a few Master (green) quality gathering tools.

Does anyone know where these tools stand at gathering rares compared to the Permanent Gathering tools?

Do I even need to save these if I have the permanent gathering tools?

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I couldn’t find any information on the wiki to say one way or another. However, I believe all the unlimited gathering tools are functionally equivalent to the standard orichalcum tools that you can buy from vendors (with the exception of the watchwork mining pick, of course).

However, the wiki does state that the masterwork quality tools you get from the laurel vendors are “functionally equivalent” to the orichalcum tools you buy from the standard merchants. I’m not sure how this conclusion was derived unless it was explicitly stated by the developers somewhere or is stated as such in game, but the tooltip seems to imply that it would be better at gathering rarer resources than the standard orichalcum tools. Perhaps the tooltip is just implying that they have 250 uses. If it is the case that they are functionally equivalent to the standard orichalcum tools, then they don’t have a purpose once you have an unlimited tool (aside from some convenience factor from not having to swap the unlimited tool around all the time).

I believe the other masterwork quality stuff you can get (i.e. via story rewards) is nothing special, and irrelevant in the wake of an unlimited gathering tool.

As for the black lion tools, my understanding has been that they possess the highest chance of procuring rare resources, thus making them valuable even in the presence of an unlimited gathering tool. However, I’ve not come across any data or information that would prove this to be the case. If you wanted to be conspiratorial about it, you could suspect that the black lion tools are simply a sham and do not possess any sort of enhanced ability to gather rare resources over other basic tools. But I’ve not seen any evidence of such things.

In any case, I would err on the side of caution and save/use things rather than throwing them away.

(edited by Yamsandjams.3267)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Better destroy them .. or look closely at their level .. else you will often get just
ruined stuff, because they are only useable in the level-area where you have
gotten them as reward.

And if you have unlimited tools, there is no need to keep them.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

Better destroy them .. or look closely at their level .. else you will often get just
ruined stuff, because they are only useable in the level-area where you have
gotten them as reward.

And if you have unlimited tools, there is no need to keep them.

Not true of the BL tools, they’re usable on ALL levels of gathering.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Not true of the BL tools, they’re usable on ALL levels of gathering.

Maybe .. don’t really even know from where you could have get them .. i just know
these green tools are crap. The yellows .. i remember i had some but that was maybe
1,5 year ago or more.

In the end .. one ruined Orichalcum is already more loss than just destroying these
tools and buying ori tools instead.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

I couldn’t find any information on the wiki to say one way or another. However, I believe all the unlimited gathering tools are functionally equivalent to the standard orichalcum tools that you can buy from vendors (with the exception of the watchwork mining pick, of course).

However, the wiki does state that the masterwork quality tools you get from the laurel vendors are “functionally equivalent” to the orichalcum tools you buy from the standard merchants. I’m not sure how this conclusion was derived unless it was explicitly stated by the developers somewhere or is stated as such in game, but the tooltip seems to imply that it would be better at gathering rarer resources than the standard orichalcum tools. Perhaps the tooltip is just implying that they have 250 uses. If it is the case that they are functionally equivalent to the standard orichalcum tools, then they don’t have a purpose once you have an unlimited tool (aside from some convenience factor from not having to swap the unlimited tool around all the time).

I believe the other masterwork quality stuff you can get (i.e. via story rewards) is nothing special, and irrelevant in the wake of an unlimited gathering tool.

As for the black lion tools, my understanding has been that they possess the highest chance of procuring rare resources, thus making them valuable even in the presence of an unlimited gathering tool. However, I’ve not come across any data or information that would prove this to be the case. If you wanted to be conspiratorial about it, you could suspect that the black lion tools are simply a sham and do not possess any sort of enhanced ability to gather rare resources over other basic tools. But I’ve not seen any evidence of such things.

In any case, I would err on the side of caution and save/use things rather than throwing them away.

I’ve noticed an increase on the random stuff you get aside from the resource you’re gathering with the black lion tools, so they are worth using if you have any, but i dont see any reason for actually buying them with cash since the drops are not that amazing anyways…