Permanently Shatter Aegis

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I hate the aegis visual effect, nothing more to say.

No man, this is ok, because you can still see your weapons if you look around the aegis!

Nah bruh, it block the weapon completely, here’s a screenshot of the one angle where it does that to prove my point

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

New heal skill: Shatter Aegis

New minor trait souring an otherwise great traitline: Unobstructed Contender Automatically take screenshot when using Shatter Aegis.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

(edited by DarkWasp.7291)

Posted by: Psycho Robot.7835

Psycho Robot.7835

I hate the aegis visual effect, nothing more to say.

No man, this is ok, because you can still see your weapons if you look around the aegis!

Nah bruh, it block the weapon completely, here’s a screenshot of the one angle where it does that to prove my point

I should point out that I didn’t spend any time finding an angle where aegis blocked it. I just positioned the camera 90 degrees on my left side and took a screenshot. Do you think the image would have really been better if I moved the camera? If I moved it towards my back, the image would have actually gotten worse.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I do like to see it… It tends to be a great help… in WvW

You can choose to start with an auto attack instead of your heavy hitters….

I prefer to lose a 600 hp auto stap on no recharge over a 2k+ (5 or even 10 k) hit with 8-40+ seconds recharge

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: bain of man.6857

bain of man.6857

personally, i hate it too, especially when it turns sideways and clips right through the middle of the shield (looking somewhat like an X )

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Use the Jade Shield, problem solved.

Attachments:

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

It looks bad too with the aegis effect

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Wuselknusel.4082

no it looks kittenin gorgeous.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

It looks awful. The whole color sheme of the effect is terrible.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Psycho Robot.7835

Use the Jade Shield, problem solved.

Dragon Jade shield is one of shields that aegis doesn’t ruin, but players shouldn’t be limited in what they can use because of a goofy effect that doesn’t really accomplish anything, and that they have no control over.

Wuselknusel.4082

I don’t feel limited at all.

Psycho Robot.7835

I didn’t say you specifically were limited. I said players, in general. Sure, you like the Dragon’s Jade skin and probably don’t want to use anything else, but what about others? What if you wanted to use Ghastly Grinning Shield skin?

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I didn’t say you specifically were limited. I said players, in general. Sure, you like the Dragon’s Jade skin and probably don’t want to use anything else, but what about others? What if you wanted to use Ghastly Grinning Shield skin?

Or if you just want a dark fiery guardian with fused weapons without the g@y blue shield ruining the whole look.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Psycho Robot.7835

Or if you just want a dark fiery guardian with fused weapons without the g@y blue shield ruining the whole look.

The color may be the worst part of it. If it were clear, there would just be some distortion to contend with, but because it’s blue, you have to also deal with color clashing, and the fact that it is partially opaque.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

The worst is that it clips with the only legendary shield in the game

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Wow I’ve always loved how it looks on shields.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

What if they just moved the aegis effect from the arm to floating over the head?

Julie Yann.5379

What if they just moved the aegis effect from the arm to floating over the head?

What if they just removed completely?

Wuselknusel.4082

What if they just leave it as it is?

Psycho Robot.7835

Its an interesting idea, and better than what we have now, but it still leaves guardians with a problem that no other class has, which is to deal with a permanent effect of some kind that they cannot ever remove. It would move the issue from clipping and obscuring shields and offhands, to clipping an obscuring helmets. The issue should be removed by altering the way aegis behaves.

Julie Yann.5379

Then guardians will have to keep being forced to look at something that isn’t nneeded and not wanted.

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

Why not just have a double/chain?
Activate aegis for all → ‘explode’ aegis
I’d like this for a variety of reasons, but that way you could pop it when you don’t want to see it

Psycho Robot.7835

Activate aegis for all -> ‘explode’ aegis
I’d like this for a variety of reasons, but that way you could pop it when you don’t want to see it

This isn’t a horrible idea, but wouldn’t it still require constantly using the skill every time it went off cooldown? I’ve often wondered why aegis applies itself automatically anyways. Shouldn’t it be actively applied like other buffs? It’s basically the reverse of blindness so why do guardians not control it like thieves control blindness?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Hell they could just shrink it down to about 3/4 of its current size and it would be way better.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Or they can remove it because it is not useful and it is ugly. I’ve hated it since launch, and I will continue to hate it. All the people in this thread saying not to remove it are trolls.

Dante.1763

Or they can remove it because it is not useful and it is ugly. I’ve hated it since launch, and I will continue to hate it. All the people in this thread saying not to remove it are trolls.

I am hoping that wasnt aimed at me. Im one of the one who wants it removed. Just saying reducing by 75% would be nice too. Still breaks alot of things, but it aint so noticeable.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Wuselknusel.4082

Then guardians will have to keep being forced to look at something that isn’t nneeded and not wanted.

I could go full Vayne mode on that comment, but I’ll leave it as it is.

Psycho Robot.7835

I could go full Vayne mode on that comment, but I’ll leave it as it is.

Fortunately I have no such restraint.

What, you mean rangers?

(edited by Psycho Robot.7835)

Posted by: Starfall.6813

Starfall.6813

I like the way that Aegis looks, especially when I am using a greatsword or hammer.

If that makes me a troll, then so be it.

Psycho Robot.7835

I like the way that Aegis looks, especially when I am using a greatsword or hammer.

If that makes me a troll, then so be it.

I don’t think you’re a troll, I just think the problems of aegis far outweigh its benfeits, especially in regards to a lack of player control

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I have no objection to aegis …. except when trying to screenshot my gear. Some way to hide it at will when out of combat would be nice. Maybe not in PvP or WvW where opponents need to know it’s there, but if you’re not in combat in PvE its presence matters to no one except mobs that are going to attack the same way regardless.

It should still display when first applied, though. It’s a useful cue that the guardian’s doing something for people around him or her

Julie Yann.5379

I have no objection to aegis …. except when trying to screenshot my gear. Some way to hide it at will when out of combat would be nice. Maybe not in PvP or WvW where opponents need to know it’s there, but if you’re not in combat in PvE its presence matters to no one except mobs that are going to attack the same way regardless.

It should still display when first applied, though. It’s a useful cue that the guardian’s doing something for people around him or her

They don’t need the big fugly blue shield to know we have aegis all they have to do is target us and look at the icons below our names where all the boons/condi are displayed for everybody in game.

I do agree with the momentary flash of it when it is first applied cause it’s a useful indicator.

Quiznos.4296

Activate aegis for all -> ‘explode’ aegis

This isn’t a horrible idea, but wouldn’t it still require constantly using the skill every time it went off cooldown? I’ve often wondered why aegis applies itself automatically anyways. Shouldn’t it be actively applied like other buffs? It’s basically the reverse of blindness so why do guardians not control it like thieves control blindness?

Or they could just make it work more similarly to (opposite of) virtue of justice. Gets applied every 5th time you’re hit and instead of displaying the shield on the character put a shield wall or something at the skill bar like Justice has the blue flames.

Personally I like being able to see aegis myself, and how it currently functions, BUT I definitely see where others are coming from.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

They don’t need the big fugly blue shield to know we have aegis all they have to do is target us and look at the icons below our names where all the boons/condi are displayed for everybody in game.

It’s easier to just keep looking at the opponent’s character then it is to look up every half second to see if they’ve applied a boon or not

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Julie Yann.5379

It’s easier to just keep looking at the opponent’s character then it is to look up every half second to see if they’ve applied a boon or not

If you follow that logic, they should make a big semitransparent animation for every other boon and condition to make it easier for everybody to know what has been applied.

Psycho Robot.7835

If you follow that logic, they should make a big semitransparent animation for every other boon and condition to make it easier for everybody to know what has been applied.

This is where the argument that it’s an important visual cue starts to fall apart. Stability is just as an important boon as aegis, maybe even more so, but it has no visual cue at all, let alone one as obvious as aegis.

Quiznos.4296

This is where the argument that it’s an important visual cue starts to fall apart. Stability is just as an important boon as aegis, maybe even more so, but it has no visual cue at all, let alone one as obvious as aegis.

Honestly wish I could see stab…
Most other boons conds have some sort of visual cue

Posted by: Starfall.6813

Starfall.6813

One idea that would solve this, although it would probably be a lot of work on A.net’s end: when you turn off the HUD, have the game also suppress the visual indicators for boons and conditions. That would make for clean screen shots, leave Aegis alone for the rest of the game, and take care of any similar effects that could get in the way of screenshotting characters. However, I suspect this would not be an easy thing to implement.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Aegis function is good and valuable in combat. Personally I’ve always thought it looks awesome with shields on guard and when i’m fighting i dont have my camera zoomed in to admire myself- i’m watching the field and my opponent.
Sorry to hear its such a bother to you guys but even before I bought the game I thought it looked great and have thought so for two and a half years.
Aesthetic taste is subjective. Calling for change to battle mechanics to suit your aesthetic sounds like asking for more problems than it would solve.

If anything I think Starfall’s boon/condi effect supression for screencaps only would be a better solution.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Nope, like everybody else has said. Why should aegis have a huge tell but I can’t tell when other classes have their boons without looking at their bar? Its total nonsense.

Dante.1763

Nope, like everybody else has said. Why should aegis have a huge tell but I can’t tell when other classes have their boons without looking at their bar? Its total nonsense.

So are you in support of it being changed, or are you in support of it staying. Cause it sounds like you dont like that it does have a huge tell.

Also the Shift Control H hiding Aegis would be nice enough, at least we could take screenshots without that stupid thing in the way.

Psycho Robot.7835

So are you in support of it being changed, or are you in support of it staying. Cause it sounds like you dont like that it does have a huge tell.

Also the Shift Control H hiding Aegis would be nice enough, at least we could take screenshots without that stupid thing in the way.

I disagree, because even if you can hide it for screenshots, its still up the rest of the time. Its ugly and stops people from looking the way they want to look. Every time you pull your weapons out it’s there… mocking me…

Dante.1763

I disagree, because even if you can hide it for screenshots, its still up the rest of the time. Its ugly and stops people from looking the way they want to look. Every time you pull your weapons out it’s there… mocking me…

Fine fine fine. For me it would be good enough, because thats the only true time i notice it because im not staring at my Charrs back!

Psycho Robot.7835

But but but… aegis is on the side, not the back!

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I would actually prefer them to remove ALL visual effects of boons. The buff bar icons are more than sufficient for group play, and knowing what boons a random player standing near you (who is clearly not in your group and thus you cannot see the buff bar)has active is 100% pointless in PvE.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Psycho Robot.7835

I would actually prefer them to remove ALL visual effects of boons. The buff bar icons are more than sufficient for group play, and knowing what boons a random player standing near you (who is clearly not in your group and thus you cannot see the buff bar)has active is 100% pointless in PvE.

I think the visual effects are fine, it’s just that aegis specifically is so intrusive and, worse of all, completely out of the player’s control

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

Seriously, how many of you are actually looking at your opponent’s aegis effects during a fight in either 1vs1 or bigger scales ?
And when you are attacking an opponent from behind you won’t see the aegis most of the time. Why ? Aegis is only visible when you draw out your weapon(s).
If you truly care about what cond/boon they have, you would look at the cond/boon bar to see all of them, not just aegis.
So I don’t understand why people would call this a battle mechanics, since the only visible one is aegis. I played guardian longer than most people here(since beta weekend(s)) that why I can say that the visual effect really doesn’t matter in a fight.
I agree to keep the initial aegis effect on activation though.

Psycho Robot.7835

I think when people say its a visual cue, they’re trying to speak for anet. No other condition has such a huge animation so they’re assuming that Anet did it because they wanted it to be really obvious. There’s probably some truth to that, but that doesn’t change the fact that its pointlessly irritating.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Make it a players choice like with the floating numbers.
Choose between new and old style Aegis.
I happen to love the current one.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: yhvh.8703

yhvh.8703

Hahah, Engineers took years to have hobosacks removed, I suggest you guys to make a 2000+ post thread with this complain and wait a few years bumping that.

On a serious note, yeah the Aegis visual is pretty terrible and is one of the biggest things that keep me away from rolling a Guardian.