Personal Story Restoration update

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

They seem to be letting aspects of the update – mostly dialogue has been caught – slip into the smaller updates.

We’ve made some minor text and VO changes to the Personal Story since last fall (e.g. rewriting and rerecording select Trahearne lines) as a live test, but none of the PS restoration changes have been released yet.

I was in the recording studio with Matthew Brenher (the actor who plays Trahearne) recently. We had a good discussion about his character and talked about why we were redoing a bunch of his lines. We gave him better context this time around, and I think it shows in his new performances. I’m looking forward to hearing the feedback once people have had a chance to play it.

Will this still not end well?

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Next

They seem to be letting aspects of the update – mostly dialogue has been caught – slip into the smaller updates.

We’ve made some minor text and VO changes to the Personal Story since last fall (e.g. rewriting and rerecording select Trahearne lines) as a live test, but none of the PS restoration changes have been released yet.

I was in the recording studio with Matthew Brenher (the actor who plays Trahearne) recently. We had a good discussion about his character and talked about why we were redoing a bunch of his lines. We gave him better context this time around, and I think it shows in his new performances. I’m looking forward to hearing the feedback once people have had a chance to play it.

Will this still not end well?

I see what you did there.

Posted by: Asuaka.1528

Asuaka.1528

Bobby, did you already pick rewards for the restored story missions?
If not, this would be ideal to bring back missing armor skins like the Apostle, Stalwart and Heavy Scale set. The chestpiece of those sets is personal story reward (somewhere in the lvl 40 arc), all other pieces are unobtainable and would perfectly fit as rewards.

List of unavailable armor and weapon skins:
[Collection] Wardrobe/Skin Bugs & Anomalies

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

If not, this would be ideal to bring back missing armor skins like the Apostle, Stalwart and Heavy Scale set. The chestpiece of those sets is personal story reward (somewhere in the lvl 40 arc), all other pieces are unobtainable and would perfectly fit as rewards.

That would not be fair for those who already did them with all their characters, since they can’t be replayed.

Those skins would be better given in a PvP track, the WvW skin vendor and karma merchants that have repeated skins already found in other maps.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

That would not be fair for those who already did them with all their characters, since they can’t be replayed.

Those skins would be better given in a PvP track, the WvW skin vendor and karma merchants that have repeated skins already found in other maps.

Replay them on a different character? Story doesnt take to long if bland. I for one hope they do bring them back in this way. Along with Studded shoulders and other items that where Story mode exclusive items and are currently unobtainable.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Something is always unfair to someone. Deal with it. It is a reasonable idea.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

A karma merchant would be best. It’s not like they’re fancy or prestigious skins, they’re bland and just happen to be unobtainable.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Stalwart shoulders aren’t bland at all. I’m being looking for something like those for over a year.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

There is another skin that would be nice to be put back as some reward. I recently sw one that it’s currently unobtainable and I was wanting to get it. I can’t recall its name now but I believe it’s something tribal-like. I’ll update this with its name if I find it.

Edit: ah yeah, here we go: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tribal_armor

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

There is another skin that would be nice to be put back as some reward. I recently sw one that it’s currently unobtainable and I was wanting to get it. I can’t recall its name now but I believe it’s something tribal-like. I’ll update this with its name if I find it.

That would be formerly PVP exclusive armor and as such we will probably see it introduced in a PVP track or something. They have also said it will be back sometime, when who knows. I want that armor as well, but it is not related to the PS

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Faeyas.2816

Faeyas.2816

I just recently finished “forging the pact” on my theif (like, less than a week ago) , and it started her immediately on the battle. I thought this was supposed to be fixed now? Help!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I just recently finished “forging the pact” on my theif (like, less than a week ago) , and it started her immediately on the battle. I thought this was supposed to be fixed now? Help!

The re-organization has yet to be released. I’m sure there will be much fanfare when the patch is ready. =)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Faeyas, as Stein said at the top of this page (page 6), the update has NOT gone live yet.

Some dialogue edits have been put in, but the restoration has not been added.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

shadow.6174

That would be formerly PVP exclusive armor and as such we will probably see it introduced in a PVP track or something. They have also said it will be back sometime, when who knows. I want that armor as well, but it is not related to the PS

Makes sense, but if it comes back anyway…

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

The re-organization has yet to be released. I’m sure there will be much fanfare when the patch is ready. =)

A part of me should be excited, but another part of me is something that Anet should have done much much earlier. Regardless, the fact that they got around to it after almost a year does mean that they are working kitten it alongside other problems and the creating of new content for Heart of Thorns. I just wish they would be more efficient with their fixes in the near future.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: osuracnaes.4930

osuracnaes.4930

Are the personal story fixes not part of next week’s update? I didn’t see any mention of them in the patch notes.

Kal Spiro.9745

Are the personal story fixes not part of next week’s update? I didn’t see any mention of them in the patch notes.

Nor in the expanded patch notes that multiple news sources seem to have. Looks like I’m still not leveling my warrior.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I have the same question. I’ve avoided leveling my only non-80 or doing any PS on any of my alts. I’d love to know when I can dive back into that

Posted by: Lickage.7318

Lickage.7318

how can this be not fixed yet?? what is more important for a game then telling the story It should tell!!!!

Kaelyn Nightfall – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Gandara
Note: English is my second language

Posted by: Lickage.7318

Lickage.7318

Feels like I wasted a kittenton of time going trough the story noticing it wasnt complete.. thanks…

Kaelyn Nightfall – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Gandara
Note: English is my second language

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

The full patch notes haven’t been published yet.

Posted by: Balkor.2197

Balkor.2197

So Bobby, is that confirmation that we will be getting the PS fixes with the patch on the 23?

I used to be a hero like you, then I took a Trahearne to my story.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

SQeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I hope to see the Balthazar form actually using the Balthazar outfit and the Balthazar greatsword instead the mixed set in the vigil story.

It’ll be shame having that and not using it for that mission.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Konig Des Todes.2086

That’s in the Priory story, not vigil. It’s also in charr gladium side story.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

osuracnaes.4930

The full patch notes haven’t been published yet.

Well then I’ll cross my fingers and eagerly await the full patch notes later today. Thanks for the response!

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Yep. The patch notes mentioned the fixes. So it’s all good now. Though I am still angry at the fact that it took almost 10 months to get it fixed. I hope you guys don’t alter the original story in the future without serious playtesting.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

Full patch notes are live. PS restoration is in the game now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-June-23-2015

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Thank you Bobby!!

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

A couple of things I forgot: the airdrop entry mechanism for a few story steps was removed and replaced with the original instance entry. Also, old L.A. and old Fort Concordia architecture (from 1325 AE) should be seen in Personal Story instances.

(edited by BobbyStein.2315)

Posted by: Limjz.2876

Limjz.2876

Full patch notes are live. PS restoration is in the game now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-June-23-2015

I noticed that after this patch, chapter 7 (I only have 1 subtitle) and 8 are missing from my personal story.

Attachments:

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

For those experiencing Personal Story issues, please submit a support request and provide as much information as you can.

https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

Useful info:

• Account name
  • Character name
  • The name of your current story step
  • The issue
  • Repro steps

Keep screenshots handy. While you can’t attach them to the initial support request you may be asked to provide them later.

Posted by: Azurem.9468

Azurem.9468

When I started the first Claw Island mission as a Sylvari, I was all like “hello again Trehearne!” and he was all “great to see you Valiant!” which is fine because we already know each other from the Sylvari personal story. Then after we finished talking, Tybalt is all “omg hi Trehearne” and stuff because apparently they know each other too.

Then after that, Tybalt decided to introduce us to each other which was just weird. “This is Trehearne, he’s a Sylvari firstborne!” and all that. Yes I know you idiot, were you not paying any attention at all?

And that’s my highly professional bug report. That dialogue section is probably only meant for other races but currently also happens for Sylvari.

(edited by Azurem.9468)

Konig Des Todes.2086

That’s been there since the beginning. Sadly, when the mentor figure talks to Trahearne, they use the same cinematic for all races, including sylvari. Sylvari gets a separate cinematic before that, which is neat, but really they could have recorded 1-2 additional lines per order…

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: Shun.4678

Shun.4678

Is there anything wrong with the personal story?
i just got the game yesterday and just started playing earlier with a human engineer but after finishing “Defending Shaemoor” theres no more quest for me.

Attachments:

(edited by Shun.4678)

Previous

BobbyStein

Next

i just got the game yesterday and just started playing earlier with a human engineer but after finishing “Defending Shaemoor” theres no more quest for me.

From what I can see in your screenshot, it looks like you need to hit level 10 before you can access the next story “block.”

From the wiki:

“Each character’s personal story is divided into eight chapters, with each chapter unlocking every 10 levels.”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story

Kal Spiro.9745

If you do the first couple hearts just outside Shaemoor you’ll be level 10 and be able to start the story. Talk to the guide who keeps calling for your attention (telescope icon)

Posted by: Winter.1374

Winter.1374

So glad personal story is fixed again ^^ Having so much fun playing through my charachter her worst fear and doing Orr in a logic, chronological order

My mesmer might never turn into a good reliable person, not having done personal fear might only be a small part of it, but still..

Thank you for (finally) fixing it ^^

Azurem.9468

That’s been there since the beginning. Sadly, when the mentor figure talks to Trahearne, they use the same cinematic for all races, including sylvari. Sylvari gets a separate cinematic before that, which is neat, but really they could have recorded 1-2 additional lines per order…

I don’t think they need to record any additional lines. Sylvari do already have a separate cinematic before that so just cutting the introduction lines off the end of the second one for them would be fine.

Or maybe Trehearne is supposed to be introduced twice because he’s Jesus (see pic).

Also Ghost King dude just granted me the title “Champion of Orr” and I thought “that sounds cool” and went to equip it but I couldn’t. Then I googled it and found out it’s not actually a title. Why on earth not? What’s the point of writing a cutscene where you’re given a title if you’re not actually given a title?

Edit: Another bug. The first objective in “Victory or Death” is to meet up with Caithe. After that the objective updated to go collect power cores and stuff. But Caithe never lost her objective marker. She had the green star over her head (and marking her on the map) for the entire instance, even after Zhaitan was defeated and it was telling me to leave the instance and go to Fort Trinity.

Attachments:

(edited by Azurem.9468)

shadow.6174

From what I can see in your screenshot, it looks like you need to hit level 10 before you can access the next story “block.”

From the wiki:

“Each character’s personal story is divided into eight chapters, with each chapter unlocking every 10 levels.”

Yay, “user friendly” NPE strikes again :P
But that’s another subject. Glad to see Personal Story restored. Now I can finally take my main to face that dragon :P

Azurem.9468

From the wiki:

Yay, “user friendly” NPE strikes again :P

To be fair, on his screenshot it does say (in orange text to stand out) “This episode will become playable at level 10”.
I’m not sure how that could be clearer. Maybe it should be bigger?

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

Is there any thread in particular I should report new bugs that I’ve found in the story? Or just post a new one in the bugs forum?

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Winter.1374

Winter.1374

Is there any thread in particular I should report new bugs that I’ve found in the story? Or just post a new one in the bugs forum?

Dont know, but seeing how other people have posted a few..

The story log doesnt update anymore (maybe because whole Orr is lv 70?)
Ive finished the story, but can only look up what ive done untill the battle of fort Trinity

Attachments:

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

Dont know, but seeing how other people have posted a few..

The story log doesnt update anymore (maybe because whole Orr is lv 70?)
Ive finished the story, but can only look up what ive done untill the battle of fort Trinity

I just finished A Light In The Darkness, and it was fine up til Trahearne watched himself give the speech. After that I killed one vet giant and one ver abomination, then the story marker sat on the minimap. I walked around a bit and saw that Destiny’s Edge had spawned in the appropriate places. I finished that entire leg of the PS with this false marker on the minimap.

The other thing that I had was in The Priory Assailed, it didn’t start near the Durmand Priory HQ. It started just south of Thunderhorns Waypoint. That doesn’t seem right to me. There have been other instances that have the same issue as this, where the entrance to the instance are nowhere near the instance area itself. It could possibly get people very easily confused.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Scutilla.3072

Scutilla.3072

Wasn’t this update also supposed to update the map for the missions that take place in Lion’s Arch? Playing Forewarned is Forearmed now and it still takes place in pre-Scarlet LA (I don’t know if that whole sewer section still exists in 2015 LA).

Not that I’m complaining too much- the original LA has a lot of sentimental value and it’s cool to be able to revisit that map, if only in part.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wasn’t this update also supposed to update the map for the missions that take place in Lion’s Arch? Playing Forewarned is Forearmed now and it still takes place in pre-Scarlet LA (I don’t know if that whole sewer section still exists in 2015 LA).

Not that I’m complaining too much- the original LA has a lot of sentimental value and it’s cool to be able to revisit that map, if only in part.

It was supposed to, and has, provided maps that match the time-frame of when the story episode takes place. I.e., using the original LA map, instead of the post-Scarlet invasion map.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

That’s the update.

The story used to take place in whatever the current version of LA was. Which was really weird during the Battle for LA when NPCs would be standing around chatting in burning buildings. But now it wouldn’t work at all because the map is totally different.

So they changed it to use the old map, since the story takes place before Scarlet’s attack. (And if Season 1 is ever brought back this will start to make sense.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

That’s the update.

The story used to take place in whatever the current version of LA was. Which was really weird during the Battle for LA when NPCs would be standing around chatting in burning buildings. But now it wouldn’t work at all because the map is totally different.

So they changed it to use the old map, since the story takes place before Scarlet’s attack. (And if Season 1 is ever brought back this will start to make sense.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Ty for restoring the personal story. I just started playing it after a long wait. It was very sentimental to see the old LA again. I haven’t played much into it yet, got 2 chars at about lvl 30-40 story parts so really looking forward to seeing all the changes/missing story parts. So thank you for your effort. It must have been huge. It’s always easy to get rid of something than restore it and I for one appreciate you’ve listened to the community and put this effort to make tings right, especially with expansion in the wings.

I’m particularly looking forward to Victory or Death in solo mode. Hopefully I’ll survive it lol.

osuracnaes.4930

I’m particularly looking forward to Victory or Death in solo mode. Hopefully I’ll survive it lol.

I came back specifically for that, and remembered why I quit in the first place. Hope you enjoy packs of respawning, perma-stun risen gorillas; long, tedious airship rides with flying hit point punching bags you have to use turrets to kill; and hitting your 1 key over and over and over and over…