Personal story

Personal story

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: xeras.9415

xeras.9415

So I’ve started a new character after drawing away from my boosted one and am really trying to get into the story of this game, I really am.

But, is it me, or is the writing just terrible and poorly voice acted? The game is fun, don’t get me wrong, I just can’t get myself into the story here.

As much as I want to. Does it get better? Eventually?

Personal story

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well, not really. The story missions are ok-ish throughout but they are never really impressive in terms of design, acting and story. In fact the later part of the main mostly turn into a garbled mess (Anet kittened it up and even had to rearrange missions). What comes after in the Living Story is generally much better designed (except season 1 that was open world, but that was awesome in another way).

Either way, consider them a filler to the game that you can complete in your own pace. The XP is good and the loot is decent.

Personal story

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I found the personal story to be uninspiring. After almost 4 years the highest I’ve gotten is level 60 story, and I had to push myself to do that much. Do it once for the background lore, or read the story but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t get better.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Personal story

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Living Story trumps the Personal Story in every way shape and form, i just did it for the rewards

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Personal story

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Unpopular opinion here: I actually love the personal story. The only thing I hate is that I have to restart when I dc. And the Zhaitan fight is boring. But other than that, I love it and I love most of the NPCs too.

Personal story

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The story missions in GW1 are better, but then they had to be as they where the main focus of those games.

Personally I don’t find it all that bad, and I’ve done all the story on 4 out of my 9 characters.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Personal story

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

Voice acting is the least problematic part of the Personal Story. I like the PS and further story progress (maybe a bit too much for my own good), but there are so many plot holes, started and unfinished topics and generally inconsistent things that I’m not sure anymore if the word “story” still even applies… And it does not get better with later stuff, because apparently “pacing” is far more important then any sense and inner logic and tying loose ends.
So… don’t fall for the story or it’ll make you sorry.
(Is the last line as bad as I think? )

Personal story

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It took me about a year to finish the personal story on the first toon that started it, a female norn. The voice (and the way the actor was directed) really grates on me.

On the other hand, I’ve done the asura stories often enough to have joined the different colleges etc — I really like both the male and female PC voices (and most of the support roles are done well, too).

tl;dr try another race; it can really make a difference

(for what it’s worth, I think the charr stories are the most interesting, with asura coming a close second. The human & norn stories are standard writing for RPG. And the sylvari stories have an odd mix of interesting and dull.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Personal story

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it varies a lot. I’ve done almost every version of the personal story at least once and I’ve definitely got my favourites, like the Order of Whispers story and the norn ‘blacked out at a moot’ one, but there’s others I don’t really enjoy.

It also depends on how your choices combine. There actually are quite a lot of reoccurring characters with their own sub-plots, but if you don’t pick certain choices you might only get a small snap-shot of that. Snarl Backdraft and Galina Edgecrusher for example, who start off as two charr from different Legions who happen to be working together and hate each other and end up as a couple. They appear in the Iron Legion, Vigil and Victory or Death storylines, but that means unless you play an Iron Legion charr who joins the Vigil and make the right choices during Victory or Death you won’t see the entire of their storyline.

(Or unless you’re like me and play loads of different characters so you see it all sooner or later.)

IMO a lot of the complaints about the story not making sense come from the fact that people are doing it over a very long period of time. It’s like reading a book a bit at a time over several months, or years in some cases. You’re not going to remember every detail so some things that happen won’t make sense – people will appear with a solution to a problem and you’ll have no idea who they are or how they know that, or they’ll act like the main characters friend when you don’t remember them meeting before.

The best way to get around that is to avoid starting it until your character is level 80 (or level 50 or so at least since they will get XP from the story) and then do it all in a relatively short space of time.

The alternative is either to have a really good memory for storylines or to do different versions over and over so many times that you get to remember it all.

In fact the later part of the main mostly turn into a garbled mess (Anet kittened it up and even had to rearrange missions).

That was only a temporary problem. It was changed as part of the September 2014 feature pack – one whole story arc was removed and others were rearranged. I agree that the end result was a mess that made no sense at all. (The most glaring error to me was that you got told about an NPCs death as something that had already happened, then later on you’d meet him, work with him and eventually witness his death.)

But they restored the full story and put it back in order over a year ago and now it does make sense again.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Personal story

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I like the storyline. So much so that I’m on a mission to play through every story mission. It will require 30 characters, but I’m finding that the story missions played by other characters compliment each other’s story lines. There’s a lot of dove-tailing.