Personality stats

Personality stats

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I was wondering if adding a personality % on our stats wpuld help us personalize pur toons better and be more careful on our dialogue choices. (Charm-dignity-ferocity)

Personality stats

Posted by: Amraston.2846

Amraston.2846

At launch there was a system where your character “changed personality” depending on how often you use certain dialogue options and thereby unlocked additional options. It didn’t changed much but it added a little bit flavour – why was it removed?

Personality stats

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

At launch there was a system where your character “changed personality” depending on how often you use certain dialogue options and thereby unlocked additional options. It didn’t changed much but it added a little bit flavour – why was it removed?

They removed it because it didn’t do anything, and having it in the interface gave the mistaken impression that it did something.

Originally, before launch, it was supposed to do things, and for a while a very limited number of open world NPC interactions did interact with it (for example there was an NPC that would charge you for a boulder, but if you were a forceful personality you could intimidate him and get it for free)

Like so many things in GW2, anet threw it out because they were more concerned with the game’s world being fair than being interesting.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Personality stats

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I liked the personality stats, but right now they don’t do anything, and the rare occasions where you can influence your personality (mostly in story instances) are just an artifact from the old system.

At the same time, they never did very much, so I see why they took them out. They always felt like something that was created earlier during development, but lost importance over time, until they didn’t mean anything. Anet is always talking about how they love iteration, so I’m not surprised they cut this system if they decided it wasn’t doing anything, and wasn’t worth developing further.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Personality stats

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

What ArenaNet wants to do with the game on a monthly basis is a really odd thing as a player. Heck, Silverwastes and Dry Top were just live environment beta tests for HoT content. There’s a place on the map for Polymock. The original guild missions systems was built to be iterated upon and they scrapped it along with all of our progress for this new system they say is also built to be improved and added to. Achievement panel? Same thing. Have they added to it? Nope.

The personality system will never see any changes.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Personality stats

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I know they don’t do anything and that’s the point of it. Just to maybe show an old icon next to your name depending on your personality, but nothing else. I simply thought about having a little feature showing how charming your little asura is, would be kinda fun

Personality stats

Posted by: Katta Castellum.3957

Katta Castellum.3957

i track mine myself. i accidentally, through clicking too fast, selected ‘charming’ instead of ‘ferocity’ in dialogue. i now need to find 70 ways to select ferocity to get my desired personality set correctly.

Personality stats

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Removing the personalities also reduces the workload of designers and developers.

Personality stats

Posted by: Ghostwind.4380

Ghostwind.4380

It’s too bad they couldn’t do something kinda like kotor, where your choices affect you visually. It would be cool to see a visual indicator of your choices, but keep it subtle. Based on how many times you choose an option others could see what type of temperament you have at a glance.

Brute = Your hands have a faint red aura. The color deepens the more times you choose brute.

Honorable = Your head gains a faint golden halo. The color brightens the more times you choose honorable.

Charming = Your feet and shoes gain a faint light green color. The color deepens and leaves a little trail the more you choose charming.

Just something to add flavor to your decisions. The effects should of course not over shadow the particle effects of armor or items however.

Personality stats

Posted by: Barinthus.8347

Barinthus.8347

i track mine myself. i accidentally, through clicking too fast, selected ‘charming’ instead of ‘ferocity’ in dialogue. i now need to find 70 ways to select ferocity to get my desired personality set correctly.

Same, I even had a spreadsheet keeping track of my 8 characters’ personality traits along with their background story so I could keep their personality “in character”

Too bad Anet decided in its infinite wisdom(?) to remove this.

Seeking Deaf Players. People who don’t use voice software welcome too!

Personality stats

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

It was fun and unique.

It’s too bad it’s gone.

Personality stats

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s too bad they couldn’t do something kinda like kotor, where your choices affect you visually. It would be cool to see a visual indicator of your choices, but keep it subtle. Based on how many times you choose an option others could see what type of temperament you have at a glance.

Brute = Your hands have a faint red aura. The color deepens the more times you choose brute.

Honorable = Your head gains a faint golden halo. The color brightens the more times you choose honorable.

Charming = Your feet and shoes gain a faint light green color. The color deepens and leaves a little trail the more you choose charming.

Just something to add flavor to your decisions. The effects should of course not over shadow the particle effects of armor or items however.

If I wanted particle effects I’d play a spellcaster or equip armor with particle effects.

Also, it’s silly that personality would create particle effects. It isn’t really part of the world’s lore that people’s personalities are on display like that.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Personality stats

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It would have been nice if changing personality would change your character’s tone of voice and stuff they said.

But that ship has sailed.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Personality stats

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

It would have been nice if changing personality would change your character’s tone of voice and stuff they said.

But that ship has sailed.

That would have been super awesome, and super expensive. Sad face.

I think that’s probably why personality stats got the boot. Unless you really commit to them as a major mechanic (unlocking access to different things based on personality, for instance,) it’s not worth writing even more dialog branches, either to set your personality or respond to it. Too much cost, too little payoff.

That sounds cheap, but given the choice between adding a bunch of meaningless branches to a dialog tree, and just going over one or two branches with more polish, I’d rather have the more polished one.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Personality stats

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

Like much of the game, it was a potential avenue for more stuff but was axed because more is not the direction Anet wants to go.