Perspective from a vet mmo gamer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

As much as I love to play MMOs I’d absolutely hate to be a developer for one as it is impossible to ever create enough content to satiate your audience. This is just a fact that, from the very onset, will create a general malaise of discontent.

At launch I thought that Anet had come up with a novel solution to the problem that being all the seasonal events. I thought to myself “wow that’s really thinking long term as while removing content from the game is going to be viewed negatively (see SAB) as long as they can continue to reintroduce that content later it will keep things fresh”. As long as new content is added to the rotating carnival of events then new players to the game are going to just be floored by the amount of things to.

. . . or so I thought. The problem is that every event seems to be reimagined instead of just having the rewards updated. While a lot of that content does get recycled it does seem like significant effort is put into reinventing the wheel every time that event comes back around. I’m not necessarily saying that this is a bad thing but when it comes at the cost of NEW events being added, then yes I do think that it is a bit overdone.

It may be a bit late to change how things are being run at this point but in future projects it may be something worth considering. Imagine the effort of rebuilding lions arch multiple times refocused into 3 or 4 more yearly events. Suddenly the game seems more lively yes?

(edited by Kadin.2356)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Totally agree.
All MMOs suffer from a basic problem with their design, and thats the time taken to create new graphical content takes far longer than it takes for players to experiance that content, so the player base rapidly runs out of things to do unless the Devs provide some mechanism to coerce the players into experiancing the same content over and over.
Usually done by offering rewards based on RNGs , but eventually even the rewards arnt enough.
Theres the WOW solution which is simply keep producing expansions and keep jacking up the level cap, but eventually even this idea wears out.
I dont know what the solution is, or even if there is one with current technology.
Ideally a game that could redesign itself and dynamically change the world on a frequent basis would be cool, but currently not possible with existing computing technology.