Pick my Profession!

Pick my Profession!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

So I can actually be motivated to play something all the way to level 80!

Classes I have tried and didn’t like:

Necromancer – I literally played this all the way to level 52. It was my first an I kind of hate it. The only viable build is bleeding necro, and the minion AI are idiotic.

Warrior – Easy mode, I don’t like it. It’s not very interesting either.

Ranger – The utility spells are garbage, all they have going for them are their pets which are also stupid AI.

What I like in a Profession:

Not a faceroll profession – It has to take skill to play.

Unique – Something with unique elements not present in most MMO’s. Doesen’t have to be completely unique, it just has to have something going for it. Unlike… you know… the ranger.

Some decent ability in PvE – While I adore WvW most of my time is spent in PvE and I can’t stand to not be able to do anything while roaming solo.

AOE – I adore AOE spells.

Speed and utility – I like to provide something to a group and be fast.

So can you guys help me pick a profession so I can stick with one for once? I’ll be forever grateful.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I think your are basically asking to play engineer. You just don’t know it yet

Its not faceroll, its most damaging builds are always being nerfed.
Its unique. Toolkits and turrets and what not.
Decent at pve.
Aoe- Has plenty, try flamethrower.
Speed: 10 points in traits to get speedy kits gives you perma swiftness

(edited by Penguin.5197)

Pick my Profession!

Khyber.2693

How so? I’m willing to play it I just want to know why you say this.

Pick my Profession!

Khyber.2693

Its not faceroll, its most damaging builds are always being nerfed.
Its unique. Toolkits and turrets and what not.
Decent at pve.
Aoe- Has plenty, try flamethrower.
Speed: 10 points in traits to get speedy kits gives you perma swiftness

Sounds awesome, going to stick around my thread to see what else is suggested but this is at the top of my list now.

Pick my Profession!

Khyber.2693

Anyone? The things I have in mind most are now Engi, Elementalist, and Mesmer. Can anyone tell me about those?

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Wandar.3607

Wandar.3607

You can always level the three classes you mentioned above to level 10-15 and see what you think about them. Elementalist is great fun to play, you have four elements to play around with and lots of AoE.

It is a fun class to play, both in PvE and PvP. It takes awhile to master it, but that’s what you want right? Good luck with your pick

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Guardian, since it’s the only fully completed class.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Keileia.4832

Keileia.4832

I think you’ll like elementalist.

It takes skill to play – I would tick a box on that one…you have 4 attunements each which have a purpose. Being in the right attunement at the right time is important if you want to play an elementalist effectively:

Fire: Damage, Water: Healing/Support, Air: Speed and Evasion, Earth: Defensive/Condition Damage.

The weapons you choose determines your play style. So staff has long range aoe and support. Daggers are in your face and gives great mobility and melee support. Scepter is somewhere in between i guess.

I had a guardian originally. But I got talked into playing elementalist by a friend and fell in love with it ever since. Maybe you’ll enjoy it too!

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Euryon.9248

Euryon.9248

I agree with engineer, but would add that elementalist also meets most of your requirements. Definitely takes some skill, but I’m finding it to be far less squishy than the mesmer I’ve played in PvE, and much more enjoyable (though mesmers seem to have street cred in WvW and dungeons). Lots of complex strategies, deal good damage, etc. I use D/D primarily so I can even get up in the mobs’ face and lay down some AoE, then dodge out and blast them as they recover. I do tend to use elemental glyphs to provide a little cover and pull aggro. Staff would give you more AoE options and ranged attacks, if you prefer that style.

But I found that my mesmer was spending most of her time kiting because the PvE mobs tend to ignore the illusions, and that’s not a fun playstyle for me. I tried Sword, Staff, Greatsword, even Pistol…none worked very well IMO.

I think a lot of people might disagree and will sing the praises of mesmers, but that’s just my experience.

I think it’s interesting, though, that I’ve gotten 5 classes to L80 — but it’s the 3 you mention that are still sitting in the 55-75 range.

Pick my Profession!

Khyber.2693

Okay so all of you are suggesting Elem and Engi, what weapons and builds would you recommend? Other than the obv elem d/d?

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I would ad mesmer, it is certainly unique, great fun, takes skill to play well.
It just lacks the speed you are looking for. They are very survivable have great control and cool utilities.
Other than mesmer I would go for engineer. Those are the most fun classes hands down as far as I am concerned

Gunnar’s Hold

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Mathog.3157

Mathog.3157

OT:
“The only viable build is bleeding necro, and the minion AI are idiotic.”
Sweet jesus. I have 500h MM necro, my friend leveled his necro from 1 to 80 using only minions and we both think they are great. Do you use minion traits to make them better? Do you even use healing skills to keep them alive or maybe you think they will do all job for you?

Not hating or something, I just can’t understand what’s people’s problem with minions.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have come to enjoy my mesmer the most. The various illusions can do huge AOE and using shatter on top with damage and confusion just adds to it. The drawback from what you have written is the speed buff.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Seezungenschleuder.8319

Seezungenschleuder.8319

The thief needs some skill, in my opinion. At least it’s the class which is most dependent on well-timed dodge rolls.

Also, it has some nice AoEs (shortbow; Death Blossom; traps) and is the most mobile profession ingame.

You have several shadowsteps, a designated traitline for dodging, and stealing is very interesting. (skill changes from mob to mob)

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Seezungenschleuder.8319

Seezungenschleuder.8319

However, I think it depends on what you like the most:

Mobility? Thief.
AoE? Elementalist.
Something in-between? Engineer.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

I think you’ll like elementalist.

It takes skill to play – I would tick a box on that one…you have 4 attunements each which have a purpose. Being in the right attunement at the right time is important if you want to play an elementalist effectively:

Fire: Damage, Water: Healing/Support, Air: Speed and Evasion, Earth: Defensive/Condition Damage.

The weapons you choose determines your play style. So staff has long range aoe and support. Daggers are in your face and gives great mobility and melee support. Scepter is somewhere in between i guess.

I had a guardian originally. But I got talked into playing elementalist by a friend and fell in love with it ever since. Maybe you’ll enjoy it too!

This!

I would try Elementalist for all the reasons listed. Based on your love of AOE, Staff Build might be more your thing then D/D, but you might like the degree of skill required to pull off D/D successfully. You’ll just have to play around with those 2 to see what you like.

The world can use more Staff Elementalists, we are not as many in number as our D/D brethren.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Euryon.9248

Euryon.9248

For my engineer, I went with a bomb/grenade + turret build. With the trait that allows explosions to cause vulnerability, normal mobs are becoming butter. I prefer the rifle with this build because it has several CC/mobility attacks that can pull the mob to within turret range, then freeze them, then blast them back out before they can damage the turrets. Or I can let them come to my turrets and lay down bombs to destroy them while they sit at point-blank turret range (and BoB to help protect the turrets if necessary).

I admit engineer and elementalist have been pleasant surprises, and I actually enjoy them more than some of the L80s.

Necro: I tried the MM route, but I found I didn’t like leaving my fate in the hands of that AI. Once I switched to conditionmancer (scepter/dagger), and only using the flesh golem for meat shielding, my efficiency (and enjoyment) went up significantly.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Yoji.5610

Yoji.5610

I think you basically can choose between Elementalist, Mesmer or Engineer. It’s really up to you now.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Mesmer has tons of utility and a load of builds that are viable. The only thing it’s lacking is the speed you desire, which can be remedied by either having a focus on hand and / or using runes of air.

Pick my Profession!

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Engineer, elementalist, or guardian.

I prefer my warrior myself. Easy to learn; difficult to perfect.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”