Pistol Whip vs Hundred Blade

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

ok something i’ve found out that Anet might want to look into.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip
has 9x hits for a total of 1026 dmg, with crits and all maybe 6k dmg.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hundred_Blades
8x hits for total of 1624 dmg, and a final hit for 406 dmg.

yet in WvW you see warriors hitting 21k dmg.

people have said its because crit dmg. if a thief with 92 crit dmg can only hit 6k, how do a warrior hit 21k?

and does anyone else think 21k is a bit unfair for classes that dont have over 20k hp(aka necro and warrior)

yet they nerf pistol whip, and dont do anything to hundred blade.

i’m sorry but someone needs to check what actually affects dmg because something is seriously messed up here. bit tired of 1 warrior whiping out an entire party of 5 people with 1 skill.

are we sure hundred blades is working correctly and isnt just doing 8x 1624 dmg per hit?

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

a thief can increase their attack speed and get off 2 pistol whips in a row.

arenta.2953

actually ANY class can increase attack speed. just get the sigel of rage and you have 10% chance on crit to get 3 secounds of quickness.

but that isnt the point. why does hundred blades do so much dmg. and yet Anet considers it fine?

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

a thief can spam that one attack back to back because they do not work on skill timers.

arenta.2953

and warrior has 8 secound cooldown, which he can afford to w8 for. specialy considering the thief is dead after the first attack and the thief needs several attempts to even get his hp down.

Posted by: Travleer.6301

Travleer.6301

this is fine. PW is inferior to begin with. I play a thief. all ganking synergies need to be dealth with on thieves. we have enough tools without being able to gank people.

we do need to remain usefull in dungeons and wvw large fights, so I hope they keep that in mind.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

Hundred Blades is terrible in PvP, if you got hit by it quite frankly you deserve to die.
it doesnt stun you and it roots the warrior in place whilst he channels it.

PvE however is another matter entirely, Hundred blades and Warrior Greatsword is far too strong.
see this video as evidence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3XgQhiYhkdY

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

perhaps math is hard?

because 1000-1200-4000-5000-7000-9000-12000 != 39k damage its just 12k damage, just saying.

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

If you’re getting hit for 21k with Hundred Blades you’re doing it completely wrong.

The Warrior needs to stay still for the duration. He can’t use any other ability.

Equip a stun breaker, dodge out of range. You’ve taken one, maybe two hits if you have slower reactions. Nowhere near 21k.

The Thief on the other hand can move while pistol whipping, can cast them back to back, and it’s considerably harder to dodge the thief with his movement speed.

Even if your endurance is empty, once you break the stun there’s no excuse to get hit by more than half of hundred blades, which is still far less than 21k.

Posted by: bladie.5084

bladie.5084

errr.. no no no and no. I’m a pistol whipper and i have over 7 lvl 80 warriors in guild. Hundred blades is fine as is. and Pistol whip is similar to hundreds blades when i mean you have to stay still when performing the skill. I agreed with the nerf but 15%? cmon now, 10% would have been perfect. Doesn’t matter, it’s not like 15% isnt that big of the difference. At least they didnt nerf it to like 20% or 25% or something.

Posted by: Cyric.7485

Cyric.7485

The Thief on the other hand can move while pistol whipping, can cast them back to back, and it’s considerably harder to dodge the thief with his movement speed.

Except the thief actually cannot move while Pistol Whipping. So with that being said, we can knock the movement speed reason out of here since it no longer applies and that leaves us with the initiative system.

I’m not even going to get into initiative because the majority of the non-thief player-base is so blissfully ignorant about it that they think we can just spam forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever…

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.

(edited by Cyric.7485)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Problem with the nerf is that, Pistl Whip is the only damaging skill a S/P thief has. So now it’s either you Pistol Whip and use 5 initiative or you autoattack and do only slightly less damage over time for 0 initiative and you apply cripple and weakness in the process.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

nerf to pistol whip made the build to
“autoattack in cloud of smoke”.
111511151115 etc

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

Problem with the nerf is that, Pistl Whip is the only damaging skill a S/P thief has. So now it’s either you Pistol Whip and use 5 initiative or you autoattack and do only slightly less damage over time for 0 initiative and you apply cripple and weakness in the process.

Wrong. Auto attack does more damage now

arenta.2953

for those who keep saying “dodge” or equip a stun breaker. the problem is warriors do have more than 1 stun. and sadly, they do tend to stun, charge when i break it, stun again and hundred blades.

or the stun breaker will be in cooldown.

you saying that the skill is “fair” because you can dodge it. the same is true of every skill, but you dont see other skills doing that much dmg. even elementalist’s meteor shower does 14k max dmg if you try to stand under every meteor you see.

the problem is, you guys are thinking of 1 skill, when warrior has alot to choose of before using that skill. bolas(or whatever they called) to immoblize you and hten hundred blades.

basicly if Anet isn’t going to nerf this skill, then nerfing ranger shortbow, or thief pistol whip is pointless as you just making the skill even more OP

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

Warriors are the golden children of GW2. They are the only class that doesn’t get hit with the nerf bat.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

KIDbs .. – Warriors are in a bad spot if anything they’ll be buffed but they focus on nerfs atm on topic:

I disagree that the skills are similar.

Have to stay on a spot on both skills – Correct
Pistol whip also stuns your target for a short moment – GS does not
Pistol whip has no CD as any other thief skill – GS has
As calss mechanics – thief can select and hit people way easier – and get out of there
As class mechanics – Warrior is always visible and a GS warrior cannot go anywhere all it takes is a slow (not even counting other stuff)
Once the GS warrior fails his strike he is out of combat..he cant do kitten.

GS warrior – charge – blades – One trick pony
Thief – pistol whip – Has many ways to play still.

now stop crying and pointing fingers you easy to play class you.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

KIDbs .. – Warriors are in a bad spot if anything they’ll be buffed but they focus on nerfs atm on topic:

As calss mechanics – thief can select and hit people way easier – and get out of there
As class mechanics – Warrior is always visible and a GS warrior cannot go anywhere all it takes is a slow (not even counting other stuff)

so basically what you are saying is… if warrior unequips all his utility skills, takes off all his armor, and only uses 1 weapon skill… THEN he is balanced with the thief????

Yeah because clearly that’s how balance works… glad we cleared up what we are comparing here.

I agree if the warrior takes off all armor, unequips all traits and only uses 100 blades then he is reasonably balanced with the thief, now we just have to convince all the warriors in the game to do this.

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

so basically what you are saying is… if warrior unequips all his utility skills, takes off all his armor, and only uses 1 weapon skill… THEN he is balanced with the thief????

Yeah because clearly that’s how balance works… glad we cleared up what we are comparing here.

I agree if the warrior takes off all armor, unequips all traits and only uses 100 blades then he is reasonably balanced with the thief, now we just have to convince all the warriors in the game to do this.

I refuse to give a good reply to such a ridicilous post so here is my reply:

Breath – Read – Understand what you are reading – Dont forget breathing – Now do your reply once you are sure you understood it.

Just a suggestion so you don’t look as foolish next time.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

“I like Apples, but Oranges taste better!”
“Why not eat an Orange then?”

In other MMOs:

“Waaah! It’d take me 6 months to grow an Orange!”

In GW2:

“Waaah!”

arenta.2953

ok we’ve gotten a bit off what i wanted the topic ot be. the point of this thread wasnt to make the 2 skills the same. it was to point out the dmg shown on the skill and the actual dmg output. pistol whip was just the closest example i could find to hundred blades.

the point was that the dmg pistol whip shows after the 9x hits is the total dmg, before crits are added in.

hundred blades dmg shown after the 8x hits is the dmg PER hit, before crits are added in.

thats what i wanted people ot notice. and i wanted to find out if that dmg is intentional or a error in the coding for it.

and if it was intentional dmg then i want Anet to replace the dmg per hit with the total dmg so that people dont get confused when it comes to dmg per hit and total dmg.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

you seem to not understand the meaning of the words you typed, so let me try again, i’ll try and be more clear this time…

your first 2 points are fine, no arguments there.

3. pistol whip does indeed have a CD. First off it is limited by the global CD of the skill animation. you can’t start the next attack until the first one finishes. the skill takes about 1.5 seconds to execute. the daze only lasts .5 seconds and the main damage component doesn’t even start until after the daze ends. You can just walk out of it before it does any significant damage to you. Plus you can dodge the whole ability.

Secondly we don’t have large CD like other classes but we are limited to 10 initiative. PW costs 5, so we can only execute the ability twice before needing to wait 10-15 seconds (traits excluded) before we can use it a 3rd time and then an additional 10-15 seconds for each use after that. So yes we can use the ability twice before the “CD” kicks in but once it does it is similar to the CD of 100 blades.

4&5. I’m not actually sure what you mean by this one. Are you saying thief has a higher movement speed? because I think all classes have the same movement speed. We also get the same number of dodges as every class. (again traits excluded). As far as closing on and getting away from the target, sword/pistol gives 1 shadow step/return and using it immediately prevents you from using PW more then once (initiates the initiative CD). So if we use this ability we immediately cut our damage in half. In addition to make up for our other mobility ability (steal) we have only medium armor not the heavy armor of warriors and a much lower base health. So comparing our increased mobility as a positive for us while ignoring higher armor, higher toughness and higher health from the warrior is like comparing a warrior without any armor to a thief with armor.

6. What you typed was once a warrior uses 100 blades he is out of combat. Are you saying his weapon is immediately deleted from his hands and he can’t use it anymore? Because as far as I am aware the warrior still maintains access to his GS abilities even after he uses 100 blades. Which is not the case for the thief, using PW twice immediately removes skills 2-5 leaving us only with auto-attack. So you actually had that one backwards. Once we use PW we are out of luck and if the enemy isn’t dead we have to run away.

so actually it is you who doesn’t understand not me.

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

@ZudetGambeous.9573:

Thiefs are actually limited to 12 initiatiave, upgraded up to 15 by traits. So you can basically, not even counting init regen, do 3 pistol whips (with traits) without the skill ever going into any sort of cooldown. If you take regen into consideration, and without haste, you can do 4.

If you didn’t even know that, I can’t seriously take any word from you for any thief related matter.

Note: I’m not defending Tyu’s point here. Actually I believe he doesn’t know anything about warriors as well.

(edited by deriver.5381)

Posted by: K Cross.3458

K Cross.3458

@deriver.5381

At last! I thought I was the only one here who realized these guys don’t know crap about the classes they are talking about.

Posted by: Zatria.5783

Zatria.5783

I was just hit by pistol whip 9x instantly. Even have the name of the guy… and ss.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It really matters whether you’re looking at pvp pve or wvw.

100-blades is area of effect, which really doesn’t matter too much in pvp. But is huge in wvw and pve. You get the 20k 30k totals cuz of all the targets you’re hitting. Especially with a zerg in a crowded lord’s room, invisible warrior lays waste to everyone.

Pistol-whip is self-rooting and single target. So in spvp it takes special planning to be able to hit anyone with it. You need to immobilize and prob’ly use up the target’s escape cooldown(s). In PvE, mobs are too stupid to move. In wvw, if you’re in a situation to get melee, your target prob’ly hasn’t rendered you yet.

So it all really depends which situation you’re addressing. I’m afraid ANet has trouble balancing pvp without borking pve or wvw (and pve without borking pvp and wvw, and…). It’s not easy to balance because the approaches of the players & targets are so different in the diff venues.