Playable Kodan and Quaggans, viable?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I really like these two races and want to know if the Anet team is working on it or if it isn’t technically viable. Kodan have humanoid dimensions so I don’t think they’d be too much of an issue especially since they’re roughly Norn sized.

Dredge would be a nice playable race too especially given their implied story that’s simply ripe for heroes to emerge from and are sympathetic. They’re an oppressed race and don’t like it, perfect conditions and potential for player story with them. Though their design might pose a technical challenge for armor.

Maybe they’re saving playable Kodan for a really big future expansion? It would be a good move I think.

Posted by: Fransson.7910

Fransson.7910

Maybe, maybe not… but you can nevertheless already play as both races. The tonicfrom HOtW makes you into a kodan, and the endless quaggan tonic makes you into a quaggan. Then it’s just a matter of finding your preffered environmental weapon (my favourites are Jeeza’s flamethrower and the Icegun)

There is no waypoint rezzing in real life,
but there are people who will help you get back up when you are downed
- PalwaJoko

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

Playable races need to have diversity.
Kodan could get some updates to be viable. Quaggan maybe as a special mission, highly doubt them being playable. Dredge have even less variation, plus you’d just see your screen ui since they have no eyes. Also eww.

Introducing one new race will make a massive influx of those characters, think we’d see two new races (at least) at the same time. My war is waiting on Tengu and could use an extra slot for a Largos…

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

If there is a market for Wedding dresses, I see good chances for aditional races too.
The often used excuse for not introducing new races to the game is that they don´t add significantly to the game. With the introduction of an expensive 5 races clothing item, that excuse went straight out of the window for me.
But wait, I can hear you say, there was already the chef outfit like that, why did the excuse fly up until here? Yes, you are right, but you could always cop out that it was a one of a kind, old item. No more.

Dredge would be very, very alluring for me beside a Tengu Samurai. I can sympathize with the guys up to a certain degree, but that Asura respect them dampens my will to play them, no good can come out of that.^^

Posted by: GlitchyBat.3682

GlitchyBat.3682

>Wanting to use Revenant on HoT
>Knows eventually there will surely be a new race
>Doesn’t want to delete old Rev for new race Revvy.
>will never be a Tengu Herald

Life is hard. ;_;

[OWLS] Priory Elder Dragon Research Team
[EDS] Elder Dragon Sympathizers

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Tonics are nice, but I think the races have good potential for a story and playable characters.

I can see how having no sight can be a problem but gameplay and story segregation means we can viably get away with it. Our character might not see but we ourselves can. Like Daredevil they’d rely on non-sight senses being blind.

“The often used excuse for not introducing new races to the game is that they don´t add significantly to the game. "

That’s the worst copout any writer, game (or any really) designer, or anyone ever gives. What it would add are options and lore can easily be built around them. They already exists in universe. Sinestro as a secret optional villain in a Batman Arkham game wouldn’t make sense, hence the optional part, but being Arkham’s version of Omega Weapon would add a great challenge element. In other words challenging content or options can add enough in themselves.

Wedding dresses technically don’t add much either, but everyone loves wedding dresses, even me (well on females of course) so I say keep them ^_^

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

If quaggan become a playable race I will start PvPing just so I can kill them.

I apologize to anyone stuck with me on their team in advance.

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Gonna be lazy here and just quote one of my old posts on this lol. Sadly the only race I ever see being playable is the Tengu (can expand on why if asked) and while it’s a fun idea neither Quaggan or Kodan are really viable. =/

Out of curiosity, why they you say the kodan are too much like norn? I’ve heard that several times, but save in height never seen it myself.

One of the main reasons is just like the above said, the two’s stories are just to similar. Also lore wise Norn and Kodan are thought to be related as distant cousins by many scholars, Norn supposedly being a regressed form from a tribe of Kodan lost long ago, which could explain why the Norn are similar in size and why they are so attuned with the spirits and able to transform into beasts, perhaps a lasting remnant of their ancestry.

Lol another one of these? At least this ones more about what you’d like to see rather than reasons “this or that” should be added lol. Okay lets sift through these by section;

Tengu:
Okay first off lets take a look at the sentient avian race known as the tengu, the most viable option. Note that I say the most viable not because this race is my favorite or even because I want to see them added but because its the most feasible of all the potential races. Unlike many of the other races often suggested Tengu are seen throughout GW1 and GW2, have their own sophisticated version of society, contain classes that include warriors and spellcasters, and are probably the easiest to apply the current armor choices to. They already have a platform from which to go off of in that they’ve sealed themselves off from most other cultures after a rocky history with humans and have recently begun to venture out more now that the elder dragons have risen, helping in the charge against Zhaitan. Despite this they are still rather xenophobic at the moment but their lore is set that they could emerge at any time.

Centaur:
[Insert joke about mounts here]. Lol that aside the centaur race will likely never come to pass for a number of reasons. For one overall they are a belligerent race with a fierce hatred for humans after years of war and enslavement and much of the race now fights fiercely in an effort to reclaim the land lost to the humans. As of recently with Jormag awakening and pushing other races out even further the centaurs have also come into contact with the norn and the results were as expected, they soon started fighting as well. I will say that there are peaceful tribes of Centaurs as well and that in many ways they are similar to the charr who also had a fierce hate for humans however I still don’t see it happening, especially with what they’d have to do to armor to make it work.

Largos:
Everyone seems to want these lol and I get it, the mysterious underwater assassin idea is a cool one, but I don’t see this happening either. For one Largos are by nature secretive and “don’t play well with others,” (such as the one in the Brisban Wildlands who was hunting a party of sylvari for sport). While I admit the underwater dragon does have an effect on them and some new features for aquatic fighting would be nice we’ve literally seen like a dozen of them throughout the entire game, that’s hardly enough to base an entire playable race off of. I know it may seem sad to hear but they just don’t fit with the lore and are perfect where they at now, a minor race that has its own cool flair. Besides, could you imagine the armor clipping with those wings? >u>

Quaggan:
Gonna give people the benefit of the doubt and hope this is a joke lol. Quaggans….yes their cute, they waddle, and they’d look amazing wearing a quaggan backpack….but that’s all they got going for them. For one their more tribal based than society, and you can hardly define the “warriors” they have as classes, heck their more like the “town watch” of modern day times, ready to rush at things with slightly pointy sticks and prolly get the living heck beat out of em. Some of them wont even fight back as their being kidnapped or killed. I know its a fun idea but lets keep it at that, an idea lol. ;3

Skritt:
Another joke I hope lol. I mean look at these guys, you gotta have like 4-5 of them in one place to do even the most basic of tasks lol. At best your guy would rush into battle and then the enemy would use its “counter” and throw a bunch of silver on the ground to distract you and kill you while your charrie was busy collecting “shinies.”

Kodan:
I will admit this is a fun idea and I can appreciate the sentiment but these guys are just far to close to norn to be considered truly viable for a new playable race. Not to mention the struggle to make armor fit on them and (not sure would like verification on this) do they even have spellcasters or is it an entirely physical based society?

Naga:
Gotta say, this is my favorite one that I’ve seen as of yet lol. Its out of the box, not something you see very much, and took the time to specify naga, not krait or forgotten. Honestly in GW1 I could have seen this happening, back before Shiro’s great wail turned all but a few dozen of them into jade and they were friendly with the humans. Now however they have been bred with a fierce hate for humans and have pursued conflict in an effort to get revenge over how they perceived themselves to be wronged. Quite a shame considering I’d love to see how armor would appear on them.

lol long post X3

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Gonna be lazy here and just quote one of my old posts on this lol. Sadly the only race I ever see being playable is the Tengu (can expand on why if asked) and while it’s a fun idea neither Quaggan or Kodan are really viable. =/

Out of curiosity, why they you say the kodan are too much like norn? I’ve heard that several times, but save in height never seen it myself.

One of the main reasons is just like the above said, the two’s stories are just to similar. Also lore wise Norn and Kodan are thought to be related as distant cousins by many scholars, Norn supposedly being a regressed form from a tribe of Kodan lost long ago, which could explain why the Norn are similar in size and why they are so attuned with the spirits and able to transform into beasts, perhaps a lasting remnant of their ancestry.

Lol another one of these? At least this ones more about what you’d like to see rather than reasons “this or that” should be added lol. Okay lets sift through these by section;

Tengu:
Okay first off lets take a look at the sentient avian race known as the tengu, the most viable option. Note that I say the most viable not because this race is my favorite or even because I want to see them added but because its the most feasible of all the potential races. Unlike many of the other races often suggested Tengu are seen throughout GW1 and GW2, have their own sophisticated version of society, contain classes that include warriors and spellcasters, and are probably the easiest to apply the current armor choices to. They already have a platform from which to go off of in that they’ve sealed themselves off from most other cultures after a rocky history with humans and have recently begun to venture out more now that the elder dragons have risen, helping in the charge against Zhaitan. Despite this they are still rather xenophobic at the moment but their lore is set that they could emerge at any time.

Centaur:
[Insert joke about mounts here]. Lol that aside the centaur race will likely never come to pass for a number of reasons. For one overall they are a belligerent race with a fierce hatred for humans after years of war and enslavement and much of the race now fights fiercely in an effort to reclaim the land lost to the humans. As of recently with Jormag awakening and pushing other races out even further the centaurs have also come into contact with the norn and the results were as expected, they soon started fighting as well. I will say that there are peaceful tribes of Centaurs as well and that in many ways they are similar to the charr who also had a fierce hate for humans however I still don’t see it happening, especially with what they’d have to do to armor to make it work.

Largos:
Everyone seems to want these lol and I get it, the mysterious underwater assassin idea is a cool one, but I don’t see this happening either. For one Largos are by nature secretive and “don’t play well with others,” (such as the one in the Brisban Wildlands who was hunting a party of sylvari for sport). While I admit the underwater dragon does have an effect on them and some new features for aquatic fighting would be nice we’ve literally seen like a dozen of them throughout the entire game, that’s hardly enough to base an entire playable race off of. I know it may seem sad to hear but they just don’t fit with the lore and are perfect where they at now, a minor race that has its own cool flair. Besides, could you imagine the armor clipping with those wings? >u>

Quaggan:
Gonna give people the benefit of the doubt and hope this is a joke lol. Quaggans….yes their cute, they waddle, and they’d look amazing wearing a quaggan backpack….but that’s all they got going for them. For one their more tribal based than society, and you can hardly define the “warriors” they have as classes, heck their more like the “town watch” of modern day times, ready to rush at things with slightly pointy sticks and prolly get the living heck beat out of em. Some of them wont even fight back as their being kidnapped or killed. I know its a fun idea but lets keep it at that, an idea lol. ;3

Skritt:
Another joke I hope lol. I mean look at these guys, you gotta have like 4-5 of them in one place to do even the most basic of tasks lol. At best your guy would rush into battle and then the enemy would use its “counter” and throw a bunch of silver on the ground to distract you and kill you while your charrie was busy collecting “shinies.”

Kodan:
I will admit this is a fun idea and I can appreciate the sentiment but these guys are just far to close to norn to be considered truly viable for a new playable race. Not to mention the struggle to make armor fit on them and (not sure would like verification on this) do they even have spellcasters or is it an entirely physical based society?

Naga:
Gotta say, this is my favorite one that I’ve seen as of yet lol. Its out of the box, not something you see very much, and took the time to specify naga, not krait or forgotten. Honestly in GW1 I could have seen this happening, back before Shiro’s great wail turned all but a few dozen of them into jade and they were friendly with the humans. Now however they have been bred with a fierce hate for humans and have pursued conflict in an effort to get revenge over how they perceived themselves to be wronged. Quite a shame considering I’d love to see how armor would appear on them.

lol long post X3

1. The Norn – Kodan relationship:
Is that a pro or a con argument?
It is a con argument when you think that the Norn are already in the game and so we don´t need another one. Ok, legit.
It is a pro argument when you say that the textures are already there and “Kodan” could simply be a customizing option for Norn. Cheap for aNet and a long brewing wish fullfilled.
I see only win/win in the last situation. No designing on new quests would be necessary(although very much welcome), it´s simply a norn branch on the run, getting hospitalized by their brothers in Hoelbrack.

2. Tengu
Not too much to add here from a lorewise perspective.
Tengu would be so much appreciated, at least by people like me. If Anet is afraid to be bombarded with angry responds by Asian people who do not want their cultures mixed, make them fully japanese, chinese or whatever. I personally would much prefer Japanese as outfit because of Samurai clothes and weapons.
Does that fit into the current surroundings of Middle Europe/Scandinavia you ask?
Counterquestion, would you think that there is a place on earth where you find Foothills companion right next to a place like the Diessa plateau?
Or have the smurfs arm themselves to fight side by side with giant norse like people that can transform into bears, jaguars and ravens?
Probably not…

3. Centaur
Agree here as you even put in peace loving centaurs. Although as you say that with the mount joke, maybe that would to kill two birds with one stone. Centaurs instead of mounts? Only halfway joking here…^^

4. Quaggan
Please no. One race of smurfs is enough, and this one is even worse as it is probably not able to stand up alone once it has fallen on land. Please no again.
PS: I have absolutely no problems with little people in RL, don´t get me wrong. I just hate Asura with a passion because I find them unfitting into Tyria in general and they threw Tengu out for them.

5. Skritt
I think the concept of swarm intelligence is very intriguing, but it would need a character revolution for that. Maybe in a way that you loose one of the 6 to 10 abilitis if no skritt is close to you for any number less than 5.
Example:
Your party has 5 skritts, you have all your skills.
Your party has two Skritts, you have only ability 1-6.
Leaning wide out of the window here, I know.
Still, would buy and name it Ratburglar, Ratman, Ratboy or Cheeseburglar!^^

6. Largos
Complicated Underwater Combat is complicated.
For the secrecy argument: When I was a child, researchers thought of the Quastenflosser(a fish) to be extinct. Then people caught one, and researchers found out that the species is alive and well.
But I am pretty sure that the race would be a hit and sell like crazy for the reasons you already stated.

7. Naga
My second favorite, not much too add here. Love the toxic krait colour scheme.

8. Dredge
Reasons already stated.

So, don´t give up on demanding them, people! Money talks, and even as we were forced to suffer through the age of the Techno Smurfs, there is still hope for us.^^

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Quaggans rofl…every time i hear this i cant just think about it…are you people serious??You want quaggan to be warriors holding mace and shield?You want quaggans to be necros who summon dead monsters?You want QUAGGAN to be leader of the pact?? The 1 who will save Tyria??
Fortunately,even Anet is not that silly to break this game that much.
Simple answer to you….quaggans are not even RACE.They are just minor race that will never have important role in this game.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Even if someone at ANet is working on other playable races they aren’t going to announce it this far in advance. They’re not even done announcing stuff for HoT yet – the next expansion is news for another time.

As for kodan and quaggans specifically, well, never say never – there’s always some way to make it work; the only question is how silly you have to get to do it. They have a few issues which limit how high they run on the prospect list, of course – less so kodan, which are probably still top three anyway.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )