Player Names and Titles

Player Names and Titles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Q:

I remember asking this question during Beta and was told they will be coming.
I’m actually really shocked that it’s 6 months after the launch and we still cannot select our own character and see the names and titles.
I’m especially surprised by this considering the massive role titles played in gw1, so the mechanism is obviously there so why is it taking so long?
I mean I busted my gut to obtain the only transferable title from gw1 GWAMM (for those who don’t know it stands for “God Walking Among Mere Mortals”) which required 30 other heavy duty titles maxed out get it. Then I busted my gut no less to acquire Champion of The Gods for which you had to get 50/50 in your Hall of Monuments and all for what? I got them, I can wear them, but I can’t see them! And that kinda diminishes them to 0 and makes them meaningless in my eyes.

So my question to the devs team is, are we ever getting this feature? And if so, when is it expected to be implemented?
And to the fellow players, does anyone have any idea about this and are you for this feature to be implemented asap?

Edit: Grammar

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I can’t really tell what would satisfy. When I press H I can see my titles and whatnot.

Is the suggestion to have them on the screen full-time?
You want to be able to select yourself as a target?

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Ellixen.1572

Ellixen.1572

I know exactly what you’re talking about, to anyone who is confused and hasn’t played WoW or any other MMO of that style… you can have your name show above your own character’s head just like you see with other players. It’s there for those who wish to see the title’s they worked for.

I got used to that feature and wouldn’t mind having it here as well.

Player Names and Titles

Tiger Ashante.1792

I can’t really tell what would satisfy. When I press H I can see my titles and whatnot.

Is the suggestion to have them on the screen full-time?

I’m aware of how to equip titles in gw2 but why bother?

To answer ur questions, yes, just like in gw1, you name was always visible to yourself and everyone else on the screen but titles and guilds were displayed at your feet level. And yes, in gw1 you could select yourself just as you could other players (and as you can even in gw2) and see the titles you were wearing ur guild name tag etc.

I guess I find it weird that I can see other players names, can click and select them and see their titles, but I can’t see my own name or titles. I find it even weirder that my mini pet shows off its name and my guild tag, my Necros’s minions do, my ranger’s pet does, but NOT my character! It just doesn’t seem right.
In any case devs know what I’m talking about and I would really appreciate an answer.

Player Names and Titles

Tiger Ashante.1792

I know exactly what you’re talking about, to anyone who is confused and hasn’t played WoW or any other MMO of that style… you can have your name show above your own character’s head just like you see with other players. It’s there for those who wish to see the title’s they worked for.

I got used to that feature and wouldn’t mind having it here as well.

Yes exactly, you can even make it optional. Like in Lotro for eg, you can choose to display (or not) in options your name, title etc and that of the other players and npcs. Furthermore, a really nice feature, you can type command in chant/afk and it ads AFK next to your name so everyone knows you’re afk when they see you.

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

Might be worth posting it to the suggestions forum, can’t imagine it would be hard to implement if enough people backed it.

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

But… none of the titles show, not just yours but anyone else either, unless you target them. I think they’re meant to be something minor, not of sufficient importance to put on the screen.

Heaven’s knows, they have enough trouble with culling and whatnot just getting the basic stuff….

I agree should make a suggestion, but based on what the devs have done so far, I’d not hold my breath.

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

You can already select yourself, your title just doesn’t show when you do. Self-selecting is an existing feature, not something the poster is asking them to add.

But… none of the titles show, not just yours but anyone else either, unless you target them.

That’s the whole point of the original post, though – other people’s titles are visible if you select them, but your own is not visible even if you select yourself.

I’m actually really shocked that it’s 6 months after the launch and we still cannot select our own character and see the names and titles.

The point is not to make titles always visible; it’s to make them visible if you choose to click on them.

To me it doesn’t make any sense that this isn’t already possible to do. It would make more sense to be able to see your own title the same way you can see someone else’s. Why make it two different ways rather than the same thing?

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Gandolfi.1507

Gandolfi.1507

A simple tick box in the options screen would suffice to set ‘show player name’. Can’t see this being difficult to do and would solve the problem. It would be nice to have the option to see this.

As I recall in GW1 titles did not display unless you moused-over the other player, otherwise just the character’s name was displayed.

I really like the idea to be able to flag /afk as well.

Godrik Gandolfi – human warrior; Lucius Foestabber – charr reaper
The Path Least Travelled, Gunnar’s Hold

Player Names and Titles

Tiger Ashante.1792

A simple tick box in the options screen would suffice to set ‘show player name’. Can’t see this being difficult to do and would solve the problem. It would be nice to have the option to see this.

As I recall in GW1 titles did not display unless you moused-over the other player, otherwise just the character’s name was displayed.

I really like the idea to be able to flag /afk as well.

Yea I may put it in the suggestion, even though you can’t see your own name but you can at least see other players I guess.

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

I can’t seem to target myself (ever). How is this done exactly?

This sentence is false.

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Hey Tiger, I saw the title! If it’s any consolation.

I would be for this feature, titles feel … useless. I believe I have one or two and I think I even have them showing on a couple of characters … but which one … it’s not really interesting. Not bothered to check out titles and achieve them currently.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

How does one target themselves? I’ve been trying to figure that out, but not sure how to. Please enlighten us, Anakita.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Player Names and Titles

Tiger Ashante.1792

Hey Tiger, I saw the title! If it’s any consolation.

I would be for this feature, titles feel … useless. I believe I have one or two and I think I even have them showing on a couple of characters … but which one … it’s not really interesting. Not bothered to check out titles and achieve them currently.

What do you mean you saw the title? Sorry the way you said it has confused me. Do you mean you saw my title on one of my chars or you saw your own?

Player Names and Titles

Tiger Ashante.1792

How does one target themselves? I’ve been trying to figure that out, but not sure how to. Please enlighten us, Anakita.

I meant to ask her that coz i can’t target myself either so tnx for asking hehe.

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Just click on yourself.

It doesn’t actually do anything, but you should see a blue circle at your own feet.

ETA: Now I’m wondering if I’m just crazy, though. :P I’m fairly sure I’ve done this, but maybe I’m remembering wrong. If it doesn’t work, sorry! If I’m mistaken it’s not intentional misleading.

(edited by Anakita Snakecharm.4360)

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Irene La Gamatius.1657

Irene La Gamatius.1657

I just completed the map on 100%. I am so sad I can’t see my name. :’( Hope this option will be added!

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

You can’t see your title when you do this, but if you’re in a party and ask someone to target you, you can at least see your gold star!

Player Names and Titles

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

I agree with the OP 100%.

Come on now, titles kept the first Guild Wars pumping and alive BECAUSE they were a very noticable part of your player’s progression, it was actually cosmetic with simple bonuses like 3% salavage bonus per rank in the Wisdom title track and 3% lockpick retention per rank in the Treasure Hunter title track. It wasn’t the only thing that kept GW1 alive, but it gave people something to work towards while playing the game! Something to brag about towards your buddies as the announcement, “Player Name has achieved Legendary Master of the North, the gods have extended/blessed the world with their favor” pops up for all to see, also contributing to keep UW and FoW open.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wisdom
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Treasure_Hunter

Now I barely notice them. I don’t care if they provide no bonus this time around, I don’t even care if emotes are no longer tied to PvP titles like in the first game.. but it would be really, really nice to be able to see titles in the same fashion as they were in the first time, that will atleast attract more desire for titles instead of keeping them tucked away and hidden.

I have 50/50 in the HoM and GWAMM as well, but this was before GW2 came out and titles weren’t available during the BWE’s and stress tests. If someone were to ask me if going back to the original, now-dead GW1 for those titles I would tell them to play till 30/50 in the HoM and ignore the rest because it’s simply not worth the effort and time, it’s just a hidden line of words nobody’s going to notice anyways.