Player dueling suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

Players currently have no way of dueling one another in game at the moment, unless it’s in a private arena and you choose to not do objectives. While this is all good and well, we want a bit more fun with our dueling combatants. A nice even playing field with no terrain to hide behind. A true test of one’s skill in combat!

Bring your grudge to the Black Citadel arena! Challenge your rival to a duel to first down, or a duel to the death! Combatants can challenge one another within in the arena, and be picked in the order they sign up. All players waiting in queue can view the combat from the stands where they have options to change the camera much like in SPVP. Players who don’t wish to fight, can spectate from the stands as well and cheer on their favorite duelist! There is no prizes here duelist, only glorious combat! Choosing your enemy is simple, you already know his weaknesses. Do you have what it takes to be the true champion of the arena?

The Wild Gambit is where players can queue up for random duels across the megaserver. Entering them on one side of the arena, while an announcer begins the duel so all players can load in. This can have a PVP track of it’s own and even it’s own leaderboards to showcase the best duelists in Tyria! Tossing in some unique skins for a track just for this random duel mode would entice people enough to keep it populated as a game mode. Would be a fun place for players to try out different builds as entering the arena as a combatant let’s players setup their builds, except in this mode it’s fully customized gear just for this mode. Instead of just choosing a weapon and trinket, players will have access to the full setup of gear. They will be modified for this game mode specifically, however the versatility of having all slots available for gear will open up many more builds, thus increasing the entertainment value of the crowd. We don’t want to see the same builds over and over. We want some variety in our arena!

These arenas don’t have to be restricted to just the black citadel, I just chose that one because it’s just a lore established arena already in game that could have a lot of potential. You can even have instanced versions of it where players can have PvE encounters with waves of monsters, similar to a horde mode. Each increasing wave getting more difficult, and players are granted certain game changing boons or conditions depending on if they can hold objectives from the hordes. Kind of similar to the event you could do in Blazeridge Steppes and you choose the kinds of monsters you want to kill. Like this mode can award titles and what not along with achievements. Just stuff that’s specific to that mode.

It’s not much, but having even little things like this in game for players to clunk around in while waiting for world bosses to pop or guildies to get ready for missions in an hour would go a long way. Players always want to duel one another. Give them a fun place to do it in! Not everyone wants team combat ALL the time!

If anyone has ideas feel free to toss them in!

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Aw the arena idea, yes ill support this. So long as its ya know, outta the way of any events and such But yes ill support dueling arenas, i dont have to do them and they can be avoided easy enough.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I have no problem with allowing people to duel in selected areas as you suggested. However I disagree with a reward track tied to it or any rewards at all. From what I have seen from the pro-dueling crowd the ability to duel is the reward in itself.

The Burninator

JackSpacer.4320

The reward track was just a thought. But the idea of the arena being a designated dueling zone would be nice though.

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The reward track was just a thought. But the idea of the arena being a designated dueling zone would be nice though.

I agree and I appreciate the fact that you seem to understand that many PvE players don’t want anything to do with dueling, don’t want to see it, don’t want to hear about it and would rather it be kept in it’s own area if included. Many pro-duelers won’t acknowledge that. Like I said, if contained to an area that I never have to get near I’m all for it. Let people bash their brains out, talk trash, insult each other and what not in an area that doesn’t concern me. I’m all for it.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

The absence of the anti-duel posts here makes me think that veterans have simply left the forum (and the game) since there’s completely nothing to do there. Here’s my summary of the previous 999999 threads on dueling:

2. DUELING

[~] Threads for reference:

[+] Arguments in favour:

• That other game has it; we’ve seen it done there and enjoyed it.
  • Dueling is for fun, not for leaderboards.
  • Dueling is a great way to pass time, while waiting either for a queue or other things.
  • Dueling is a way to get to know someone, without them even speaking.
  • Dueling allows players to get to know themselves, as well as their builds.
  • Custom arenas are unintuitive and cost money.
  • We want our gear to matter in duels because we worked for it.
  • To deal with duel harassment, make duels voluntary, give an option to hide/ignore duel requests.

[-] Arguments against:

• GW2 is not that other game. Dueling in GW2 is like that eternal fight between a whale and an elephant, because GW2 was designed with class synergy in mind: different classes with different damage, control and utility skills, combo fields, AoE sharing (and stripping) boons and conditions. That’s why PvP has the 5v5 structure, and the objective is to hold points, and not kill each other.
  • Since dueling is not a supported game mode, it is natural that the available method to duel (custom arena) has inconveniences.
  • Your gear stats will be normalized, as the design behind GW2 says that sports-like competition is about skills and not credit cards.
  • No matter how you hide it through options, people will always find a way to annoy you in say chat, map chat and even whispers (like they do in WvW). The best way to prevent this is not to have dueling at all.
  • Dueling would cause either a class balance disaster or a community disaster. There are already more than enough community complaints about mesmers and thiefs which caused them to be nerfed so hard because of PvP that playing in PvE became meh, and making it even worse because of a game mode which wasn’t designed to exist in the first place would feel wrong for players maining these classes.
  • People who duel have a negative attitude towards everyone else. We do not want to see dueling in a PvE environment as it will bring uneasiness and unsafety, which contradicts the philosophy of GW2’s PvE.

[=] Current state of affairs:

• “Dueling” threads are often met with negativity, both because this is a sensitive topic and because it has been discussed countless times. Still, new “dueling” threads appear every now and then, showing that there are players who are actively wanting to discuss the addition of dueling.
20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

The absence of the anti-duel posts here makes me think that veterans have simply left the forum (and the game) since there’s completely nothing to do there. Here’s my summary of the previous 999999 threads on dueling:

2. DUELING

[~] Threads for reference:

[+] Arguments in favour:

• That other game has it; we’ve seen it done there and enjoyed it.
  • Dueling is for fun, not for leaderboards.
  • Dueling is a great way to pass time, while waiting either for a queue or other things.
  • Dueling is a way to get to know someone, without them even speaking.
  • Dueling allows players to get to know themselves, as well as their builds.
  • Custom arenas are unintuitive and cost money.
  • We want our gear to matter in duels because we worked for it.
  • To deal with duel harassment, make duels voluntary, give an option to hide/ignore duel requests.

[-] Arguments against:

• GW2 is not that other game. Dueling in GW2 is like that eternal fight between a whale and an elephant, because GW2 was designed with class synergy in mind: different classes with different damage, control and utility skills, combo fields, AoE sharing (and stripping) boons and conditions. That’s why PvP has the 5v5 structure, and the objective is to hold points, and not kill each other.
  • Since dueling is not a supported game mode, it is natural that the available method to duel (custom arena) has inconveniences.
  • Your gear stats will be normalized, as the design behind GW2 says that sports-like competition is about skills and not credit cards.
  • No matter how you hide it through options, people will always find a way to annoy you in say chat, map chat and even whispers (like they do in WvW). The best way to prevent this is not to have dueling at all.
  • Dueling would cause either a class balance disaster or a community disaster. There are already more than enough community complaints about mesmers and thiefs which caused them to be nerfed so hard because of PvP that playing in PvE became meh, and making it even worse because of a game mode which wasn’t designed to exist in the first place would feel wrong for players maining these classes.
  • People who duel have a negative attitude towards everyone else. We do not want to see dueling in a PvE environment as it will bring uneasiness and unsafety, which contradicts the philosophy of GW2’s PvE.

[=] Current state of affairs:

• “Dueling” threads are often met with negativity, both because this is a sensitive topic and because it has been discussed countless times. Still, new “dueling” threads appear every now and then, showing that there are players who are actively wanting to discuss the addition of dueling.

nah, I don´t think so – as opposed to the I duelz u-kids, OP actually put some thought into it, his idea of dueling would actually add something meaningful to the game, as opposed to dudes spamming people with “lolz, coward noob” stuff randomly on pve maps.

Lishtenbird.2814

nah, I don´t think so – as opposed to the I duelz u-kids, OP actually put some thought into it, his idea of dueling would actually add something meaningful to the game, as opposed to dudes spamming people with “lolz, coward noob” stuff randomly on pve maps.

Regardless, any kind of dueling is a slippery slope.

There are tons of problems, starting with the toxic PvP community (which has been dumped into a single zoo cage for now) and ending with class balance whining where it should’ve never existed (my guild used to hold a PvP tournament and youknowwhat? they banned skills like Moa, traits like PU and certain sets of gear!)

So no, thank you.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Back in the BWEs:

http://i.imgur.com/inYDU.jpg

It was just never a priority and likely never will be, especially after custom arenas. If you count costume brawl though, they did implement open world dueling.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

aslong it stays in the pvp areas and not in pve areas you can have it. pve is pve. pvp is pvp

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

A nice even playing field with no terrain to hide behind. A true test of one’s skill in combat!

Kiting in and out of line of sight plays a big part in combat, i dont know why you would want to render it useless.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Algreg.3629

There are tons of problems, starting with the toxic PvP community (which has been dumped into a single zoo cage for now) and ending with class balance whining where it should’ve never existed (my guild used to hold a PvP tournament and youknowwhat? they banned skills like Moa, traits like PU and certain sets of gear!)

So no, thank you.

The toxic PvP community – which is quite a ridiculous generalization, and that is coming from someone being against open world dueling in GW2 – is among themselves in that case.

The balancing whining – I am not so sure this is actualy a bad thing. Whenever class balance is brought up in the current game, it always comes down to “the game is balanced around 5v5” or something like that. Which quite frankly is hogwash. It is a lazy excuse for developers being unable to bring in proper class balance, which is not in the slightest limited to pvp. Do I think current Anet could pull this off though? Certainly not.

What your guild did is your and their thing, different modes can have different rules, I don´t see why you should not have fights eg. in different gear quality beside the standardized spvp rules, people agree to those rules when entering a mode of pvp.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Dueling needs to be open anywhere and anytime. Period.

All anti-dueling argument I’ve seen over many threads is dumb including the one Lishtenbird.2814 made. I groan whenever he repost it because he is biased against dueling.

I went into WoW/RIFT/Aion/TERA to find these hostile duelist. I found some duelist, decline their duels and guess what they did? They moved on and find some other people to duel. People who called duelist hostiles have never been to a dueling room. The duelist there are nice but the griefers are hostile.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Algreg.3629

All anti-dueling argument I’ve seen over many threads is dumb including the one Lishtenbird.2814 made. I groan whenever he repost it because he is biased against dueling.

Well, if you want to bring up summarizations of the past, in all fairness, the only thing you ever brought up why “dueling needs to be open anywhere and anytime. Period.” is because you like it to be. You are alway keen to brush aside counter-arguments, but I have never ever seen you actually giving a reason for it beside your personal liking. And you repeat yourself as much as your antagonist here.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s no practical, mechanical difference between putting this area in the Bane, or in a special dueling arena in the Mists. Having it in a PvE area, instead of a PvP one is however a dangerous precedent. I’d rather the game didn’t go into that direction.

So, a special duelling arena with its own set of rules in sPvP? Sure. Duelling area in a PvE zone? Strong vote against.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

runeblade.7514

Nope

So no, thank you.

• Did you visit the dueling server? The duelist there are the nicest people. It is the griefers that are toxic.
  • You do know that class balance is always discussed, no matter how much you think lack of dueling keeps it away. sPvP balance do affect skills in PvE, no matter how much you think lack of dueling keeps it away.

groan

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

Indeed they should implement the bane as a pvp deathmatch map, anything other than the atrocity known as courtyard. Could be very good as dueling grounds.

A nice even playing field with no terrain to hide behind. A true test of one’s skill in combat!

Kiting in and out of line of sight plays a big part in combat, i dont know why you would want to render it useless.

Should it though? I agree that it has its place, but in many of the pvp maps it’s just excessive. Again, courtyard which looks like it was designed as a map for a freaking shooter.

Lishtenbird.2814

I went into WoW/RIFT/Aion/TERA to find these hostile duelist. I found some duelist, decline their duels and guess what they did? They moved on and find some other people to duel. People who called duelist hostiles have never been to a dueling room. The duelist there are nice but the griefers are hostile.

“Your arguments are dumb because I say so. I am always right because I know I am.”

That’s not the first (and definitely not the last) thread I’ve seen that kind of “argument” from you. And from other threads, I can tell that you don’t even have enough expertise in the game, its classes and mechanics despite your terrifying amount of characters.

runeblade.7514

Well, if you want to bring up summarizations of the past, in all fairness, the only thing you ever brought up why “dueling needs to be open anywhere and anytime. Period.” is because you like it to be. You are alway keen to brush aside counter-arguments, but I have never ever seen you actually giving a reason for it beside your personal liking. And you repeat yourself as much as your antagonist here.

No, because it takes too long to type arguments and usually people just ignore them. I have to retype them because search function sucks.

GW2 is not that other game. Dueling in GW2 is like that eternal fight between a whale and an elephant,

And people enjoy that. If you don’t, then don’t duel.

GW2 was designed with class synergy in mind: different classes with different damage, control and utility skills, combo fields, AoE sharing (and stripping) boons and conditions. That’s why PvP has the 5v5 structure, and the objective is to hold points, and not kill each other.

GW2 is also designed to be soloable too. Which is why there are selfish skills and personal storyline that can be completed alone. It is also why AoE sharing is not targetable so that you don’t need to select other people.

Since dueling is not a supported game mode, it is natural that the available method to duel (custom arena) has inconveniences.

This is a reason why dueling needs support because it has inconveniences such as griefing.

Your gear stats will be normalized, as the design behind GW2 says that sports-like competition is about skills and not credit cards.

groan Next, you will tell me that WvW is pay2win.

No matter how you hide it through options, people will always find a way to annoy you in say chat, map chat and even whispers (like they do in WvW). The best way to prevent this is not to have dueling at all.

No matter how you hide it through options, people will always find a way to annoy you in say chat, map chat, and even whisper. The best way to prevent this is not to have gold at all.

Dueling would cause either a class balance disaster or a community disaster. There are already more than enough community complaints about mesmers and thiefs which caused them to be nerfed so hard because of PvP that playing in PvE became meh, and making it even worse because of a game mode which wasn’t designed to exist in the first place would feel wrong for players maining these classes.

No matter how much you are against dueling, sPvP balance will always affect PvE balance.

People who duel have a negative attitude towards everyone else. We do not want to see dueling in a PvE environment as it will bring uneasiness and unsafety, which contradicts the philosophy of GW2’s PvE.

People who beg have a negative attitude towards everyone else. We do not want to see people begging for gold in a PvE environment as it will bring uneasiness and unsafety, which contradicts the philosophy of GW2’s PvE.

Bam. Anti-duelist argument made dumb instantly.

Algreg.3629

No, because it takes too long to type arguments and usually people just ignore them. I have to retype them because search function sucks.

GW2 is not that other game. Dueling in GW2 is like that eternal fight between a whale and an elephant,

GW2 was designed with class synergy in mind: different classes with different damage, control and utility skills, combo fields, AoE sharing (and stripping) boons and conditions. That’s why PvP has the 5v5 structure, and the objective is to hold points, and not kill each other.

GW2 is also designed to be soloable too. Which is why there are selfish skills and personal storyline that can be completed alone. It is also why AoE sharing is not targetable so that you don’t need to select other people.

Since dueling is not a supported game mode, it is natural that the available method to duel (custom arena) has inconveniences.

This is a reason why dueling needs support because it has inconveniences such as griefing.

Your gear stats will be normalized, as the design behind GW2 says that sports-like competition is about skills and not credit cards.

No matter how you hide it through options, people will always find a way to annoy you in say chat, map chat and even whispers (like they do in WvW). The best way to prevent this is not to have dueling at all.

No matter how you hide it through options, people will always find a way to annoy you in say chat, map chat, and even whisper. The best way to prevent this is not to have gold at all.

Dueling would cause either a class balance disaster or a community disaster. There are already more than enough community complaints about mesmers and thiefs which caused them to be nerfed so hard because of PvP that playing in PvE became meh, and making it even worse because of a game mode which wasn’t designed to exist in the first place would feel wrong for players maining these classes.

No matter how much you are against dueling, sPvP balance will always affect PvE balance.

People who duel have a negative attitude towards everyone else. We do not want to see dueling in a PvE environment as it will bring uneasiness and unsafety, which contradicts the philosophy of GW2’s PvE.

People who beg have a negative attitude towards everyone else. We do not want to see people begging for gold in a PvE environment as it will bring uneasiness and unsafety, which contradicts the philosophy of GW2’s PvE.

oh, I am not saying you are always wrong in argueing against duel-dislikers, but yet again, the only thing you bring up FOR it here is because some people like it. Some people like 1000 gold transfered to them when starting the game or a fully crafted legendary. And some people dislike both. All those things are not qualified reasons in themselves.

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

If there needs to be dueling mode, then it has to be purely for fun w/o any rewards or competition tied to it.

Dueling is simply not the mode Anet balance things around. It will also be almost impossible to balance all the 1v1 builds. If it ever became a competitive game mode, you will see tons of complaints on certain imbalanced builds.

runeblade.7514

If there needs to be dueling mode, then it has to be purely for fun w/o any rewards or competition tied to it.

Dueling is simply not the mode Anet balance things around. It will also be almost impossible to balance all the 1v1 builds. If it ever became a competitive game mode, you will see tons of complaints on certain imbalanced builds.

I agree 100%.

But most people think that dueling is serious business.

Algreg.3629

and this is just wrong. Yes, there can never be a 100% perfect balance, but that is a thing every good game designer should make an effort to approximate. It is a lazy excuse I certainly did not hear from Anet of the GW1 era, a game that was much harder to balance because of the countless skills and choices. Did they succeed in reaching the ideal? No. But they were constantly working in approaching it. Anet of 2015 does no such thing. Because, you know, “the game is not balanced around single characters”. Well, too bad players actually play single characters.

runeblade.7514

oh, I am not saying you are always wrong in argueing against duel-dislikers, but yet again, the only thing you bring up FOR it here is because some people like it. Some people like 1000 gold transfered to them when starting the game or a fully crafted legendary. And some people dislike both. All those things are not qualified reasons in themselves.

There is a big difference, dueling doesn’t hurt anybody. The other disrupts the economy.

Algreg.3629

There is a big difference, dueling doesn’t hurt anybody. The other disrupts the economy.

well, according to some, it disrupts their peace of mind. Yet again, you refute, but still I am not seeing anything in favor of duels.

runeblade.7514

well, according to some, it disrupts their peace of mind. Yet again, you refute, but still I am not seeing anything in favor of duels.

Dueling doesn’t disrupt their peace of mind. Harassment does, you can report that. Are you or anyone else against gold because beggars disrupt their peace of mind? If not, then you understand that dueling doesn’t disrupt the peace of mind.

I don’t care if you favor duels. I want to choose wherever I want to duel so that no one else disrupts me from dueling. I want to duel while waiting for a world boss/spvp queue. I want to duel for fun. If you don’t need that, then don’t duel.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

The way I see dueling is it being an addition to the already existing content. Normally thats what makes a game interesting, the richness and variety of activities to do so that the game as a whole can cater to as many playertypes as possible. Having dueling could also make the game more interesting inbetween living story locusts, as it would always be a passive/permanent feature.

I can make an example with Tera “back in the days”. It’s a themepark MMO, just like GW2, that relies on content releases to keep the masses interested. Many would’ve quit earlier if it wasnt for those nifty little activities such as dueling, where they also have 1vX 1v3 3v3 and so on, and it’s pure fun and that’s what it’s all about – doing something you’re interested in and not be limited.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Also all of the arguments against in above posts make it look like only 10 year old sissies play this game.

And next you will call us carebears and tell us to play Hello Kitty i assume.

Sorry but this game is not AION and i thing most people here also don’t want it
to be another AION.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Algreg.3629

Dueling doesn’t disrupt their peace of mind. Harassment does, you can report that. Are you or anyone else against gold because beggars disrupt their peace of mind? If not, then you understand that dueling doesn’t disrupt the peace of mind.

I don’t care if you favor duels. I want to choose wherever I want to duel so that no one else disrupts me from dueling. I want to duel while waiting for a world boss/spvp queue. I want to duel for fun. If you don’t need that, then don’t duel.

Well, I don´t care if you don´t care, I could not care less about either way personally, as I don´t have a problem with pvp in general/love it, have no problems dealing with annyoing players in games accordingly and most of all, I don´t even play GW2 :P (what am I doing here? Well, I like to muck about here, as I learned reading the forum of a game you actually play will taint that game for you because of all the “casual” whining and entitlement threads usually – so better to amuse myself in an environment I really don´t care about).

But yet again, all you bring up is “because I want”, “because I want”, “because I want”. How are 1vs1 spvp sessions interrupted by third parties anyway?

As for your pet argument of “harrassing happens either way”: There already being harrasment/annoyances does not make giving more reasons and opportunites for harassing/annoying irrelevant. Things can become more annoying even if they are annoying already.

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

2v2 or 3v3 would be great, but the game is just not balanced for 1v1 so serious 1v1 could never work. there is a reason the tournaments are 2v2 not 1v1.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Algreg.3629

Also all of the arguments against in above posts make it look like only 10 year old sissies play this game.

And next you will call us carebears and tell us to play Hello Kitty i assume.

Sorry but this game is not AION and i thing most people here also don’t want it
to be another AION.

there is no carbear category in a game where death and losing in pvp are completely meaningless and without consequences. Let us reserve that for real pvp games like Eve.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Here is an extract from the wiki about PvE:

“Player versus Environment (usually abbreviated as PvE) refers to the combat and activities in the game which are not focused on competing against other players to succeed. PvE content is designed to be completed cooperatively with other players or as a solo player, so if combat is involved it is against computer controlled enemies. PvE is the opposite of Player versus Player (PvP) which focuses on combat against other players. In Guild Wars 2, PvP and PvE content are completely separate a character playing PvE cannot be killed by another player.”

I believe this is one of the fundamental building blocks of the co-operative community in Guild Wars 2 that PvE should always be co-operative.

We already have duelling anyway – in the form of Costume Brawl. A re-focus on the forgotten Costume Brawl concept is about all I will endorse for PvE based PvP. Other than that, no duelling please. Thanks.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

JackSpacer.4320

How is what I suggested, a designated area for dueling, a game breaking feature that suddenly turns the game into Aion?

…maybe this was a bad idea to post something like this. I forgot the GW2 community hates everything. :\

“The hype is real.”

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

How is what I suggested, a designated area for dueling, a game breaking feature that suddenly turns the game into Aion?

…maybe this was a bad idea to post something like this. I forgot the GW2 community hates everything. :\

Its not that we hate everything, weve had this topic posted again…and again…and again…for 2.5 years… this thread will just get worse too, believe me, till it eventually gets locked, thats what happens every single time.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I have no problem with allowing people to duel in selected areas as you suggested. However I disagree with a reward track tied to it or any rewards at all. From what I have seen from the pro-dueling crowd the ability to duel is the reward in itself.

I wouldn’t be against a reward track. But I mostly want a dueling system so I can test out WvW roaming builds.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Sorry .. that wasn’t about your thread.

Just about the person i quoted .. since that was exactly why a lot of people here
don’t want any kind of duels in PvE.
The PvP folks that like to name call others have their basement, and were happy
when they don’t invade the open world ^^

But i have no problems with Arenas, and also other players have stated the often
enough in other duelz-threads .. however in the end there were always people
that simply want to duel in the open world .. and can’t understand whay we
“sissies” don’t want that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I was against dueling in pve, but if the area is designated and doesnt allow vitriol to seep into the pve scene, go for it.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

just a tip but when an OP suggest an arena duel idea no one is against it, the moment it starts going open world it’s a big NO!!!!!!
it’s really simple, the cons strongly outweighs the pros, no matter how much you try to justify this it’s a horrible idea.

open world duels = no frikin way
arena duels = sure, why not.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I wouldn’t be against a reward track. But I mostly want a dueling system so I can test out WvW roaming builds.

i test mine in WvW.

Crazy, i know, but i find running these test builds in the place with the players that I will actually fight with said build tends to work out the best. The proper terrain is there, as are the players i will most likely fight.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’m all for the Black citadel arena being used for such thing. Simple. You enter the arena, you are flagged as a potential enemy and can fight others in that space. Spectators can watch. If you want to limit it you can instance the space. Open world though? nah.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

The absence of the anti-duel posts here makes me think that veterans have simply left the forum (and the game) since there’s completely nothing to do there. Here’s "my summary of the previous 999999 threads on dueling

It’s not that we aren’t here. We’ve seen the same thread 999999 times, and seen the same arguments for and against 999999 times. There is nothing new to say. There are those who want it, and those who don’t. There will never be a consensus on the issue.

Now excuse me, I need to go wait for the “Mounts” thread that is sure to come up about this time…it’s been awhile since theres been one, and it’s about time.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I think that’s not correct. Sure, some posters hate some features. Others hate different features. However, when you say “the community” it feels like you are lumping us all together.

I’m not against your idea. I believe it’s a reasonable way to offer a feature that some posters want. I’m not against dueling anywhere, with some caveats.

• I think that dueling in cities should be limited to designated dueling areas. Fwiw, I also think Costume Brawl should be limited to those areas.
  • I also think that see duel requests/off should be a default option, and that players who want to duel should be able to turn that option on.

Beyond that, I’m fine with dueling in PvE. Thus, your idea seems very fair, balanced and reasonable to me, as it’s more restrictive than I’d be willing to see.

Also fwiw, I was not seeing any negativity in the thread until one pro-dueling poster came in with a negative tone to his posts. Thus, I’d suggest not taking it personally.

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

Sigh…

As I posted earlier and was deleted:

It’s easy enough to code in visibility of characters and available targets for a command such as /duel. There are ways to code almost any option you can imagine so it shouldn’t be an issue implementing it and have it not ruining “the experience”. A duelling arena should be an obvious addition to a game with proper combat mechanics.

Wish there was an ingame pop-up on login so the whole community can vote on controversial topics instead of listening to the vocal minority.

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

As I understand it, line of sight is a big advantage when going up against a Ranger using a longbow, as you can dodge behind something to mitigate Rapid Fire. Keeping things in the open would actually be an advantage for Rangers, I would guess.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

all for open world dueling
Fast forward to 14:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7CcwnfUdU&feature=youtu.be&t=13m24s

no real argument from my perspective, just negative forumites that argue for the sake of arguing. We have costume brawls in the open world and that alone beats any objection to having open world duels.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The problem lies not with a designated area for dueling. It lies in placing a pvp content in a pve environment. In this game PvP and PvE are separated, and many people like it this way. I don’t see any serious reason why that arena has to be in a PvE zone, so, if it has to exist, i’d rather see it in the Mists, which are a PvP territory.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

The problem lies not with a designated area for dueling. It lies in placing a pvp content in a pve environment. In this game PvP and PvE are separated, and many people like it this way. I don’t see any serious reason why that arena has to be in a PvE zone, so, if it has to exist, i’d rather see it in the Mists, which are a PvP territory.

To be fair, the arena in the black citadel is hardly a place people use to hangout. It’s like some of the countless areas which are beautifully crafted but people visit once in their life and then leave forever.

So I don’t see the problem in transforming that place in a zone dedicated to pvp. We just have to rule it out from the world map completion and everything is good.

This is how I see it :
the public portion of the arena (the bench) is accessible to everyone, but the area where the fights goes on is not. You have to register yourself and then you’re ported to the gladiators locker-room and wait for your turn to shine in the fray.

I see it the same way the queen’s gauntlet was made. And it worked perfectly (except for that event I wish it was instanced because being watched by others made me nervous xD).

- not only would it make a dead zone breath life, but it would also be a place to hangout and have fun while taking a break from all the wars everywhere in the pve world (watching fights, commenting them and talking to other members of the public… much like a basketball match or something like that).
All that while providing the duel system that a lot of people have always wanted, and without interfering with the pve world.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I hate how selfish this GW2 community is.As soon as people give opinion and ask for something they would like,there are those that have to block idea (even though it would not have effect on them at all).You complained that you don’t want open duels,so what is problem now about arena??Cause its in open world?So what?Did WOW died cause of having dueling??
I hope you guys never get SAB,just so you can learn on your skin,how is it to be blocked of ideas cause of selfish people.