Player population

Player population

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I kinda noticed that despite the complains or what not about the game or the expansion, the population is quite ok on GW2.
Which I find it interesting since we all knew of the old fights on the internet where people said that games like Wildstar, Black Desert, etc. would make the population decline a lot in guild wars.
I mean, I recently heard that Carbine Studios had an important layoff of some of their eployees and a lot of people regretting buying Black Desert because of the low population and other issues.

I’m quite glad to notice that despite the anger on some posts on the forum, there are still many players on the game and specially with all the F2P change of the core game, I didn’t see any bots spamming any RMT sites on LA nor any other map.

There are a lot of games with a lot of players, but I really makes me wonder… What makes GW2 different from for example, Final Fantasy XIV? In terms of the amount of bots and gold sellers…
And lastly, I always thought GW2 was on the same level of quality as Wildstar, but It really makes me wonder what made that game to be so poorly populated compared to this one?

Anyways, I can’t post a potato on this post (I might spend too much time on 9gag), but I just wanted to say that somehow the artstyle, music, story and the voices on this game make me come back from time to time into it…. Also the freaking merchandise…….

Give us moar charr plushies!!!!! (sorry)

Player population

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Well i dont know about you but i feel a decline in population on european servers. If youre too late for some meta events now you basically cant get a good map and the good ones are full. Before you could get maps with people whenever you tried. Desolation wvw is also quite dead nowadays, you rarely see commanders anywhere and if you do its the same two-three commanders.

Player population

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Looks pretty dead to me, diamond NA prime PvP q = 5 min+ solo.

Tried to do vinetooth prime in OCX/SEA time, not even a map with commander tag or taxis. Had to wait till NA prime right after reset.

Maybe overall the game pop is fine but man if you don’t play NA prime (or EU prime for EU), good luck getting anything niche done.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Player population

Posted by: Naix.8156

Naix.8156

I kinda noticed that despite the complains or what not about the game or the expansion, the population is quite ok on GW2.
Which I find it interesting since we all knew of the old fights on the internet where people said that games like Wildstar, Black Desert, etc. would make the population decline a lot in guild wars.

A really neat feature that was implemented a long time ago to hide population was megaservers. Because you are playing in instances everywhere from the pvp lobby to pve maps, you can’t get a sense of the population. Now if you check out wvw on the other hand, or are a long time player and trend from how fewer and fewer guildies login to GW you’d be inclined to come to a different conclusion regarding the health of the population.

…lot of people regretting buying Black Desert because of the low population and other issues.

Most of the BDO complaints stem from the fact that you paid money to work a make-believe job online. The grind is the game in BDO.

I’m quite glad to notice that despite the anger on some posts on the forum, there are still many players on the game and specially with all the F2P change of the core game, I didn’t see any bots spamming any RMT sites on LA nor any other map.

F2P has been interesting in GW2. On one hand, yes it got more people to come check out the game. The trade off is that F2P’ers have to be segregated from ANY expansion stuff. So where the philosophy pre-F2P and HoT was login and play any content (aside from wvw) and make progress, now it’s get in those silverwaste 2.0 expansion maps only to make progress. Not only did HoT go extremely light on content, the fact that you can only progress on anything HoT related by playing the expansion maps makes the game feel even smaller. On top of that the treatment of the old content (i.e. absolutely ensuring the most profitable content to play or farm is in the expansion) has core content under populated. Dungeons is the most prominent example of this business choice.

What makes mmo’s fun and stretches the replay-ability so far is doing stuff with your friends online. But even that has its limits, and for the reasons mentioned above HoT has players bored and leaving. If you are still having fun, then what I or other ‘angry posters’ as you refer to them have to say is irrelevant. However, don’t kid yourself that its all happy times with GW2 – many veteran players (in the guilds I am in at least) are all moving on or login in less and less.

But don’t worry though, it’s only another few months until LS3 gets underway…

Player population

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Tried to do vinetooth prime in OCX/SEA time, not even a map with commander tag or taxis. Had to wait till NA prime right after reset.

Maybe overall the game pop is fine but man if you don’t play NA prime (or EU prime for EU), good luck getting anything niche done.

I play Australia time and get plenty done. Vinetooth prime is just one of those things the players tend not to do much.

Player population

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

PvP = Minor ammount of players got to diamond or higher resulting to long waits. Long waits made lots of high-level players make F2P accounts to start over and try without Elite specs and also players take a break resulting in wait time being higher in the top.

Vinetooth = This fight is not very popular anymore and there are other Meta-event that brings higher rewards, keep in mind that there are zergs of players on alot maps doing different meta events all the time. As long as I am using the LFG I do very rarely find an unpopulated map with no commanders (I can not talk for Vinetooth though as I havent done it since release of HoT).

With the ammount of ‘The new MMO that will be released tomorrow will make players leave this sinking ship’ threads, I am surpriced that there are still so many playeers playing it still. Or… Could it be that actually it is true that the vocal players who shows a displeasure in the game actually are a minority? Wha-whe-what!? No! It can’t be!

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Player population

Posted by: IEatCabbage.1907

IEatCabbage.1907

The population overall is still the same HoT, its just many people don’t play the new maps. All other world bosses, pvp lobby queue is faster. Some zones just have way more players compared to other zones

Player population

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Megaservers make practically impossible to get any real player count. We only have WvW stats and those have been dropping like crazy.

Player population

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Well, the past couple weeks I made a few new friends. Met a Deadpool in a PvP dailies room and he was like “hey, cool Darth Maul. I got a storm trooper wanna see him?” Added me to friends list. He introduced me to his friend and he had Wonder Woman. I whipped out my Hawkgirl. Friends list. Running around farming rich iron and plat nodes, saw a Marvin the Martian. I switched to Mickey Mouse and offered him a better job at Disney if he would leave WB. He declined. Friends. An Azula found my Zuko and wouldn’t stop calling him ZuZu >:( ! We RP’d an Agni Kai. She was a new player so I answered her questions, ran around with her trying to aggro mobs over for her to hit and fill hearts faster. Not sure if that was efficient, but boom, friends enemies. Her friend logged on and she was new too… And it’s just been snowballing.

This is the most friend requests I’ve gotten in a very long time. If the population is dwindling, my friends list is growing regardless. Yeah a lot of my old friends have been logged off for varying lengths of time, and I miss them. But several still log on, and from what I can tell if you’re willing to go a little out of your way and socialize there’s tons of potential to fill that friends list again.

Player population

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I was excited about black desert because of the character customization, but after buying the game and learning that I have to play an old man as a wizard class… I was just like, “No way”.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Player population

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I would LOVE to see a realtime stats list. How many people on a server, various numbers for seeing where lag is coming from (my machine? the network? the server? the number of players?), and so on. A way to also reliably request to join a certain IP would also be handy in all sorts of ways.