Players coming to "help" you

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gmxde.9360

gmxde.9360

Well had this a thousand times. I want to test a build or some tactics or whatever and look for some lonely trash mob. Suddenly while fighting some other player(s) show up and wasting the mob. Its not that i even lost any health or am in danger. They just gang up on “my” mob and spoil it. I wouldnt rant on it but this happens so often that its unreal. They dont even loot the corpse, and the xp they gain surley is minimal. Why oh god why then?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They dont even loot the corpse,

Yes they do. Loot is dropped for all that kill a mob.

If you want to try out a build maybe you can go to sPvP to the golems.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

• Players can get loot without going near the mob’s corpse if they own HoT and have gotten through the Pact Commander Mastery line. The last Mastery in that line gives true auto-loot, as in auto-deposit to inventory.
  • One of the “joys” of the mega-server system is that there are rarely any empty zones. Expect to see players in the persistent world when you play in PvE.
  • It’s unlikely they are deliberately spoiling your test, they just are used to getting a drop by pitching in and don’t see the negative impact on you. Players are used to it not mattering if they attack a mob already in combat with someone else (what in other games would be considered kill-stealing). The original attacker (you, in your post) still gets loot, so they’re going to be thinking, “No harm done.”
  • If the sPvP golem doesn’t do it for you, you could try opening up a story dungeon instance solo and fight the first few mobs.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are plenty of out-of-the-way places with interesting foes. If you want to solo test a build, it’s on you to choose a spot that isn’t likely to get a lot of traffic. Hero points are magnets for newbies as well as experienced players. I’m not sure why the OP (or others) expect to be alone at places like the Arrowhead HP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

You don’t own any part of the game. You will not stop passing players joining in an event because you want to do something solo. The whole basis of the game is teamwork, regardless whether you like that or not.

There’s no reason for this behaviour at all when you can test on the raid golem which is semi-customizable for different situations, or you can go into your own instance for say Arah, and test a build solo there.

Kitten.

gmxde.9360

I know they dont do it on purpose. But i dont run around killing trash mobs another player is involved in. Maybe if its 2:1 and the player has lost a lot of health. And the “not looting” is that they pling pling and run off without even being close to the dead mob. I know there is an archivement, but i dont think its that. Looting some hyaena isnt exactly worth the while.

gmxde.9360

Its not that its a MMO game. But you dont need “help” on a single trash in some far away pocket of the map. Its like putting that jar of peanutbutter in the shopping cart for some other customer in the supermarket. “Oh i thought you need help with that heavy jar…”.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

#arrowheadentitlement

It’s the new black. Or orange. Or whatever.

Just a flesh wound.3589

No, they are not your toys. They are ANet’s toys and they put them In the game for everyone to play with. Yes, you’re expected to share the toys. If you want to solo kill in order to test a build, do what others have suggested and go into a dungeon instance alone and kill things.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

Why are you doing this in open world when there are instances full of champs and legends even?

Google solo arah skips and you can practice against Arah bosses alone. It’s really easy to skip everything but the boss after a bit of practice, and the distance from way point to boss is usually not that bad.

Go to fractals solo from the comfort of Lion’s arch. Beyond a few that have mechanics requiring multiple people, most low level fractals are soloable. The boss fight fractals in particular are really easy to get into the action with a boss, but even the normal fractals pits you against a champion/legendary quite quickly, including the first one if you don’t have fractal levels yet.

If this is all too easypeasy, the Vale guardian raid is also a thing :P

(edited by Snow.2048)

gmxde.9360

If i want to quickly test something i dont do that fuzz. I look for a lonely corner to try it on some trash. Even then i had it that 3 (!!!) players were ganging up on “my” wasp (not even veteran or such). Like it was a champion dropping some exotics.

Its the psychology behind it. Why should you do that at all? Like there were dozend other wasps around me. Why “mine”????

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

You’ve got this all wrong. They weren’t ganging up on your wasp. Those were your adoring fans, protecting you from harm!

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Because this game is designed from the standpoint that no mob “belongs” to one player.

If there are 4 mobs and 4 players and everone fights 1 mob each, each player gets loot from 1 mob.
If instead everyone tag all 4 mobs, everyone gets loot from all 4. None is diminshed. The game trains all players to think like that.

Also, with true auto-loot, you get loot from a mob kill even if you’re out of even max weapon range; no need to tske even a step closer to the corpse.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This game is a game designed for people to cooperate and help each other. It’s the philosophy behind it and it’s expected that people will join in on events and kills as they see them happening. That’s how it differs from many other games where loot and XP isn’t shared and other people around you are a hindrance. So, people in this game expect other to join in and they expect to join in with others. That’s why they’re joining in on the trash mobs. The game rewards them for doing so and it’s expected.

As for soloing champs. That’s really not reasonable. Other people want the loot and XP also.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: costepj.5120

costepj.5120

I want to test a build or some tactics or whatever and look for some lonely trash mob.

Honestly if you can’t take down a lonely trash mob before someone else wanders by and kills it for you, then your build is a fail

So long and thanks for all the skritt

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I almost always join in a fight if I’m passing. It’s not for the loot, it’s just to help.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Its the psychology behind it. Why should you do that at all?

Because, unlike in other MMOs, in this game the community is conditioned to be actually helpful.
Which i consider a good thing.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

I love helping people. I help lots of people. I am such a good helper.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

lol this reminds me when ppl use to complain about not being rezzed in the open world. It’s just a game where everyone can play the way they want. Sure you can ask nicely but doesnt mean they’re not going to do it. There are lots of hp’s to try for champs. Heck if you really wanna test and don’t wanna use a dungeon/fractal just go to dragon stand and try it on the hordes of vet’s. THere’s barelly anyone on that map if no meta is being ran. So it’d be easy to get somewhere on it pretty quick to test something with minimum chance of other’s helping. Afterall it would be better to test your build on a bunch of vets, then bunch of trash mobs.

gmxde.9360

I want to test a build or some tactics or whatever and look for some lonely trash mob.

Honestly if you can’t take down a lonely trash mob before someone else wanders by and kills it for you, then your build is a fail

Its not about “not able to take it down”. If i test abilities, dodging or whatever it doesnt mean i cant take it down, more so if i am even full health…

gmxde.9360

Because, unlike in other MMOs, in this game the community is conditioned to be actually helpful.

I also love to help. But help, if help is needed. I dont jump on every crap mob a level 1 would be able to sneeze down…jeez.

Lady Deedra.3126

It’s an open world game. Maybe break combat and ask them to not interfere? Maybe announce your intentions in map chat and ask them to not interfere? Maybe use the resources available to you like the test golem and no one will interfere? Or maybe just accept that you are playing a game with many many thousands of other people who also want to play this same game and that the content you are doing in an open world is also available to aforementioned players and that you have no right to not let them interfere?

Skjold Pjod

Lady Deedra.3126

[/quote]

You are 100% right about event mobs or champions and so on. I am talking that i am being “helped” on every single trash mob. What do people think? “Oh this 1/2 down moa may kill this full health player, lets help him”. Its especially annoying if they are random rangers just passing by, pfft pfft killing the mob on the run.

[/quote]

Ok, now that is some funny stuff right there. I could totally picture some dude running up like he / she wears a cape in real life and slaying that mighty queensdale moa for you then walking away all macho and mumbling to themselves “I just saved that dude. HE DOESN’T EVEN KNOW!”

Skjold Pjod

gmxde.9360

It’s an open world game. Maybe break combat and ask them to not interfere? Maybe announce your intentions in map chat and ask them to not interfere? Maybe use the resources available to you like the test golem and no one will interfere? Or maybe just accept that you are playing a game with many many thousands of other people who also want to play this same game and that the content you are doing in an open world is also available to aforementioned players and that you have no right to not let them interfere?

Thats grouping is for. If i want help i team up. If i am solo and run into remote areas of the map to try “something” on not even hostile mobs i can be sure the next player passing by will oneshot my mob. And guess what? I did it and asked politely not to kill my trash mob, but no answer, nothing.

Its just annoying, sometimes i WANT to solo and decide to do so. I am not taking away something from other people like trying to solo champions or events.

gmxde.9360

You are 100% right about event mobs or champions and so on. I am talking that i am being “helped” on every single trash mob. What do people think? “Oh this 1/2 down moa may kill this full health player, lets help him”. Its especially annoying if they are random rangers just passing by, pfft pfft killing the mob on the run.

[/quote]

Ok, now that is some funny stuff right there. I could totally picture some dude running up like he / she wears a cape in real life and slaying that mighty queensdale moa for you then walking away all macho and mumbling to themselves “I just saved that dude. HE DOESN’T EVEN KNOW!”

[/quote]

You got my point.

Lady Deedra.3126

Thats grouping is for. If i want help i team up. If i am solo and run into remote areas of the map to try “something” on not even hostile mobs i can be sure the next player passing by will oneshot my mob. And guess what? I did it and asked politely not to kill my trash mob, but no answer, nothing.

Its just annoying, sometimes i WANT to solo and decide to do so. I am not taking away something from other people like trying to solo champions or events.

I get it. My point was that there is nothing you can do to stop someone from running up and attacking what you are attacking.

Skjold Pjod

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

If I see someone fighting a hero point champ or any other mob that drops good loot, I don’t care if he gets the hero points or if he can make it alone, I just weigh the required effort on my side and the reward. If I can land a few bullets I get the loot, that’s it.

Since there is no kill stealing in this game, I think it’s not a game breaker. It’s more a problem at events like Triple Trouble. You will always have random people showing up who can cause the event to fail. The group cannot book a map for its members and restrict access to it. gw2community usually tries to create a new instance by mass porting, and in theory, this map should be full then, and only a taxi can bring more people to it. But even that doesn’t keep randoms from joining.

Open World is not instanced, that’s a fact we have to live with. For testing builds, fractals are great.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

What exactly did you expect in a massively multiplayer game?

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

If i want to quickly test something i dont do that fuzz. I look for a lonely corner to try it on some trash. Even then i had it that 3 (!!!) players were ganging up on “my” wasp (not even veteran or such). Like it was a champion dropping some exotics.

Its the psychology behind it. Why should you do that at all? Like there were dozend other wasps around me. Why “mine”????

That’s one way of looking at it. Another perspective is that the game is designed in such a way that “stealing” kills isn’t an issue. Thus players will at the very least throw a ranged attack or two at an enemy that is engaged with another player, even if they’re just passing through. Why not? You get loot for it (auto loot from virtually any distance is a thing, by the way!) and you aren’t stepping on the other player’s toes in the process.

Nobody but you is thinking “That’s MY wasp!” because that isn’t how this game is designed (as opposed to a game like WoW, where tagging and stealing kills is a thing). Nobody is thinking about testing builds on trash enemies because that’s a useless way of testing. What are you going to learn from testing against an enemy that has no health? Why you think anyone should have guessed what you were doing is beyond me.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I wonder what real benefit there is in practicing against a trash mob.

Its attacks are generally so slow and far apart as to be ineffective as a dodging trainer.

Its generally to easy to kill to practice spike damage on.

It will die before you can fully test stacking condition damage.

It will die before you can fully test sustainable power based dps.

Its CC is generally to limited to test stun breaks as an integral part of a greater build.

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I disagree with you. I want players to help others just as the default reaction; that shows that the game design of the mechanics is meshing with the play style that Anet intended (players do not compete with each other except by explicit consent). It is one of the few things Anet designed very well.

Needing the help or not should not be relevant, as it is not a judgement on your skills. In other words they are not helping you because you need help per se, but because the game encourages player cooperation throughout the game.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

None of the posters here even see a problem with coming upon a player that has obviously taken a champ down to the last hit before death by themselves, and they would take that one shot before that player if they can, every time and then go “oh, were you trying to kill that?”

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

If someone has taken a champ down to pretty much the last hit, does another player coming along to tag it really matter?

Just a flesh wound.3589

The game is specifically designed to reward people for joining in. Maybe some people come from games that punish people for doing that, that’s what they’re used to and they expect this game to be a copy of their old game. But the game’s reward structure and the philosophy behind it pushes people to leap in. If it’s that annoying, again, find a champ in an instance to solo. And expect other to do what the game rewards them for doing.

ANet may give it to you.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

None of the posters here even see a problem with coming upon a player that has obviously taken a champ down to the last hit before death by themselves, and they would take that one shot before that player if they can, every time and then go “oh, were you trying to kill that?”

Not in a massively multi-player game, no.

Besides which, that isn’t what the OP and others have posted about. They are complaining that people are “helping” — that’s more than just one shot.

And besides which, if someone wants to solo, there are dozens of challenging foes that people do not want to fight at all. There are at least half-a-dozen go-to mobs I use to practice builds and almost never see anyone else. (And if people do show, no problem; foes respawn and there are others I can visit instead.)

If the OP and others want to practice builds, why are they choosing to go someplace that others are likely to be?

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

I just want to say that this thread is very amusing. Thanks for the lols

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Assuming this is a serious thread…

The game deliberately cultivates a cooperative instinct among players – it is one of the foundations of the game and why so many gravitated to it early on. If I see someone attacking a mob and I am passing, I instinctively attack it as I go by, knowing no one loses out from doing it.

The game is big enough, with enough mobs that you will find enough test mobs scattered around, but getting frustrated with others for wading in on occasion is unnecessary since it is exactly how the game is designed to be

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

Okay…. so you wanna test your build and those troublesome do-gooders are showing up and killing your trash mobs?

Then fear not, fellow Tyrian! Our sources speak of a magical area called the “Mistlock Observatory” that may or may not (it’s may) contain an old Asura combat training golem / program. We hear this is located in the Fractals of the Mists… Rumor has it that you can even modify the combat to test certain things such as your ability to withstand CCs and other effects.

And, for more group related activities: There’s the Special Forces Training Area located beneath Lion’s Arch. This area is accessed via the Aerodrome. It is here that a nearly identical Asura combat training program exists… but for an entire group… let’s call them “squads”… of warriors to test their combat prowess….

There are ways, dear friend, to achieve what you want. You’ve just got to look around to find them.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Special_Forces_Training_Area

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractal_Instability_Trainer

(edited by Silas Eorth.7348)

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

I would much rather have this problem with people helping out vs not helping out being the issue.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I would much rather have this problem with people helping out vs not helping out being the issue.

Agreed.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Indeed.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

• Players can get loot without going near the mob’s corpse if they own HoT and have gotten through the Pact Commander Mastery line. The last Mastery in that line gives true auto-loot, as in auto-deposit to inventory.
  • One of the “joys” of the mega-server system is that there are rarely any empty zones. Expect to see players in the persistent world when you play in PvE.
  • It’s unlikely they are deliberately spoiling your test, they just are used to getting a dop by pitching in and don’t see the negative impact on you. Players are used to it not mattering if they attack a mob already in combat with someone else (what in other games would be considered kill-stealing). The original attacker (you, in your post) still gets loot, so they’re going to be thinking, “No harm done.”
  • If the sPvP golem doesn’t do it for you, you could try opening up a story dungeon instance solo and fight the first few mobs.

This.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I also love to help. But help, if help is needed. I dont jump on every crap mob a level 1 would be able to sneeze down…jeez.

You were talking about the hp champion. People often do need help with that one. And most of the time that help is appreciated even when it’s not needed. You are pretty much an exception here. And nobody is going to shape their behaviour around rarer exceptions rather than a norm.

By the way, most of my precursor drops come from those trash mobs you ridicule. Just saying.

Besides

This

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Should we see a problem? This is gw2. This “problem” you speak of is completely foreign to players in this game. You don’t own that champion and there is no reason other players should be thinking along those lines when they approach the enemy you’re fighting.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Getting help when saying you don’t want any, or just when the helping is being forced on you, in a game setting anyway, is pretty rude to be honest. I find it annoying too.

Then again it’s just a trashmob. It’s not some fun spoiling thing.

Some maps/locations are better than others for fighting trashmobs. I can find many locations no one ever comes by. I even know locations where people don’t even know there is an event which I usually try to solo. (The game could use more of these in my opinion) It’s really about picking a right spot. It’s very likely it’s not as secluded as you think it is.

Plus ofcourse, the obvious other locations for testing things out that are actually made for it.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Every single trash mob is an additional roll for a precursor. I dare you not tag it.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Every single trash mob is an additional roll for a precursor. I dare you not tag it.

This is exactly how I look at mobs. Every single one of them is a possible precursor drop. I’ll never understand why people run away from them when aggroed.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is exactly how I look at mobs. Every single one of them is a possible precursor drop. I’ll never understand why people run away from them when aggroed.

I consider mobs an additional roll for a free masterwork item that I immediately salvage to get goodies such as silk and 10 magic find points. ^^

(Which is a heck of a lot more likely than the precursor from a drop, which I haven’t gotten in almost 5 years).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Pvp golems are terrible for testing builds. They are only used for testing dps, and even the raid lobby is better for that.

The point of testing a build in pve is to see how it performs. It’s hard to do that when every bad player wants to join in for no reason, and continues to interrupt even when you ask nicely.

I spent 3 hours trying to solo the arrowhead champ with a new build last month, because people constantly keep trying to ‘assist’ me, even when i asked nicely, even when they already have done the HP for the day. I don’t mind helping people, but it’s one thing when i already helped you cleared it, and asked for 3mins to solo, then you stick around trying to ‘help’ after I’ve asked several times.

I literally have to tell people to ‘kitten off im soloing’ in order for them to respect what im doing, and by then i have to hear them cry about it in map chat when i have asked them nicely 5+ times to let me solo for testing. And this has happened multiple times, at every HoT HP champion.

I’ve resulted to letting people die, and killing it while they run back and whine that i stood there and watched, when i asked them nicely multiple times. The problem isn’t a sense of entitlement. The problem is people actively trying to punish you for being a good/solo player.

I already wait until the middle of the night to do said testing on different champs.

As for the people suggesting one way to test a build. Story modes are a joke, and arah just isn’t freindly to certain classes. Why should i have to beg people not to bother me, when all i ask for is 3 mins or less to solo a champion? Or better yet, spend extra time skipping in arah which has its own host of issues, when i can just pop to an HoT champ and clear it in 3mins?

“Well you don’t own that champion.”

Well neither do they. It’s funny these same people expect courtesy, but never want to give it. Especially when it comes to harder content. It’s about practicality. Pften my goal when doing builds and testing them this way is to show that these things ARE solable, especially for the people who always need help.

(edited by FrostDraco.8306)

Just a flesh wound.3589

I spent 3 hours trying to solo the arrowhead champ (at a hero point) with a new build last month,

And that’s way to long to be trying to monopolize a mob in this game and chasing off other people.

It’s not your mob. It’s not your champ. And it’s definitely not yours for 3 hours. Especially a hero point champ that other people want. Frankly, it’s selfish to think that a champ is all yours for 3 hours and no one else who needs or wants it should join in for the kill.

ANet may give it to you.