Playing how I want (funny story)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I logged on to GW2. They said I play how I want, so great, lets get to it then.

My first thought I want to complete my exotic armor. Ok, I start doing an event to raise some Karma. I complete it. Boom I get no reward at all. (Zip, zilch nada, bupkis) I’ve been logged off for a good 12 hours from the day before. Diminishing rewards kicked in anyway.

Ok no big deal, I can still play how I want, I’ll craft. I like crafting. The problem is I need more items. Oh but darn, the diminishing rewards thing. I can’t farm up the rare material I need. I guess I can buy some materials I need. Oh no, that would break me financially. Ok so first I’ll farm up some gold. Errrrr, I forgot. Ok crafting is out.

Oh, You know what I like doing? The daily achievements. Then I remembered that I did them the day before. It cost me me 9 silver to warp around to do it. The reward for it was only 7 silver. True, I could have walked but It takes too long to it that way. The point was to play how I want.

Dungeon? Nope, because diminishing rewards has kicked in.

Personal story? bugged.

WvW? Don’t care for PvP (I have tried WvW )

Map completion? Alot done already. Finishing it would but that is going to have me warping around and waypoints are to expensive. I don’t want to treck all over, its mindnumbingly boring. All that is left for me to do is kill random stuff.

Funny thing happened while I was trying to play how I want………………. It didn’t happen!

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

That’s a tragic tale of woe and hardship.

How much time have you invested almost completing your map while not having fun at any point?

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

SHM.7628

Porky, not tragic, just making an observation. The point was “play how you want” This game was touted as the new holy grail of MMO’s, the one that would change the whole experience.

What actually happened? The grind has been hid and disguised. I can play all over for diminished rewards. I can fight mobs lower level and get rewards for that level. That isn’t playing how I want to play. Its running on a treadmill.

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

I do not recall there ever being a “play how you want” tag to the game.

Anyway, here is a link to what they DID say:
http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

They said you could play the way you want, they never said the way you want to play would be the most effective.

If I decide to make a character that never kills anything, I can.
If I decide to only do 1 event ever, I can
If I decide to level up only by reviving people I can
If I want to only pvp from lv 1 to 80 and never go play anything else, I can
If I decide that my character is afraid to leave the lv 1~15 zone and only play there forever, I can.
If I decide to walk everywhere instead of using the waypoint, I can.

Are these effective? maybe yes, maybe not. But I still can do it.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

I want to play Mario Bross backwards… but nintendo don’t let me!

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Lysidian.4653

Lysidian.4653

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Isn’t ArenaNet going to ruin the game by making their game more like all the other MMORPGs?

No. ArenaNet has specifically said that they are not trying to make another World of Warcraft clone. Their core ideals of accessibility, playing how you want to play, the ability to play with your friends, and not having to wait until maximum level to ‘begin playing the game’ have been prominently mentioned in the press for the game. The game also does not use the conventional “Holy Trinity” system of DPS, healer, and tank, but instead uses a damage, control, and support system.

Thank you, come again.

But if you are going by the manifesto video….. everything should be fun and exciting instead of the “boring grind of other MMOs.” Either way you swing the sword they lied / failed to deliver / over sold themselves.

Posted by: shogun.5328

shogun.5328

Oh this is a funny story? It should have came with a laugh track because I’m not sure when I was supposed to laugh?

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

You actually use way points to complete dailies??

Jesus christ.

Complaining about you cant play wha t you want in gw2 is like complaining anet wont let you bot even tho they promise you can play how you want to play.

There is a limit in game design. Stop crying about it.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Hit B and use wvw port to get you to lion’s arch free of charge then hoof it to almost anywhere from there. Want a different zone? Hit B wvw lion’ s arch for free again. Save you at least some silver

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Jesus christ.

Complaining about you cant play wha t you want in gw2 is like complaining anet wont let you bot even tho they promise you can play how you want to play.

You actually run places?

Poor much? :|

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

Erm.. I play how I want, when I want, I must be special or something

Erm.. I play how I want, when I want, I must be special or somethingI’ve also posted a couple of threads trying to shed some light on the diminishing returns / anti farming thang, but hey facts and figures dont matter when over exageration is the thang

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

SHM.7628

Oh this is a funny story? It should have came with a laugh track because I’m not sure when I was supposed to laugh?

What you never heard of sarcasm?

SHM.7628

Thank you, come again.

But if you are going by the manifesto video….. everything should be fun and exciting instead of the “boring grind of other MMOs.” Either way you swing the sword they lied / failed to deliver / over sold themselves.

Yes, and this was my point.

SHM.7628

Jesus christ.

Let me explain something to you. Some people have other things to do. I don’t have 4 hours a day to travel across the map to kill different variety of monsters to get my dailies.

Hey, maybe you are one of those guys who plays 16 hours a day. I’m not. Kudos to you. the game is supposed to be relaxing and fun. If they thwart my efforts at every turn, How is that playing how I want?

Posted by: Tahana.7984

Tahana.7984

/shakes head
/walks away

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Please, don’t make rant threads that don’t add anything to the forums.
I’m closing this thread.