Please Address the Female Human Animation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Five months ago, ANet removed several Female Human idle animations (stretching, kicking dirt).

Four months ago, Gaile gave us this report:

Soooo sorry! I asked about this and forgot to post!

Some time ago, it was noticed and reported as a “bug” that during cinematics, the “fidget” animations continued. So you’re seeing this exciting story bit about a dragon attack and, behind the scenes, your character is yawning and toeing the sand. It just didn’t fit.

So the animations were temporarily removed to be worked on and reincorporated in a way that allowed them to perform normally in the game but to stop (or maybe change) during cinematics. But getting to a place where the animations could be configured on a more fine-grained basis took more time than anticipated.

From what I understand, the team has the tools to reconfigure and re-enable the animations, but the team lead told me that naturally they’ll need to figure out when someone (or maybe more than one person) can be assigned the task. As it turns out, each animation bit needs to be reconfigured individually.

TL;dr: This change is coming, as soon as it can be scheduled and prioritized. Naturally, some matters that are higher on the priority list but this project will be scheduled as appropriate.

Now we have this thread floating around:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/god-dangit-mini-XD/first#post4964429

It is all about mini pets interrupting a poignant death scene… and everyone loves it! Hilarity ensures. Even Gaile joins in on the laugh riot. Twice.

This is a flagrant double standard. At this point, we need to do one of two things:

• Immediately restore the human female idle animations

- or -

• Immediately remove mini pets from the game until they can be “fixed” to behave properly during cutscenes.

Bring back the animations! ’Nuff said.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I just don’t get the big deal about the animations being removed. Nor do I see a double standard or feel the need to feign rage about said double standard.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

+1 for OP. The removal of the animations vs. the mini issue just pours salt on the wound. Besides, the animation removal stinks of more than just a so-called bug as it is. It’s time for Anet to either fix it or openly state that they removed it for other reasons (and have the guts to admit what those reasons were).

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I just don’t get the big deal about the animations being removed. Nor do I see a double standard or feel the need to feign rage about said double standard.

It’s not really a big deal in the sense that it makes a difference in the gameplay, it’s just that the less idle animations you have then the more robotic/identical everybody seems… although, it does seem a little odd when two players stretch in unison xD

Whatever, I liked the animations so I support the OP and everyone else asking for them back.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

From your own OP quoting Gaile.

TL;dr: This change is coming, as soon as it can be scheduled and prioritized. Naturally, some matters that are higher on the priority list but this project will be scheduled as appropriate.

I’m not sure what more you are asking for since Anet stated it will be worked on at some point depending on priority. Maybe they should delay HoT to work on female animations.

The Burninator

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I found the animations jarring but the mini pets amusing. The difference to me is, I’m used to seeing the minipets around me. Seeing a mini in a cut scene is mildly amusing. Seeing my female char idly kicking the ground at a tense moment or stretching sensuously while consulting with important people felt very wrong. It was jarring to see it. Animations convey emotion. They showed my char having inappropriate emotions and behavior at the wrong time. It made her behave in such an inappropriate way that in real life no one would have taken her seriously.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Hamfast.8719

Nor do I see a double standard

Situation: “Fidget” animations distract someone from the seriousness of a death scene.
Response: The animations are removed.

Situation: Goofy mini pets distract someone from the seriousness of a death scene.
Response: Everyone laughs and has a good time.

Still don’t see a double standard here? I can’t make it much plainer than that.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I found the animations jarring but the mini pets amusing. The difference to me is, I’m used to seeing the minipets around me. Seeing a mini in a cut scene is mildly amusing. Seeing my female char idly kicking the ground at a tense moment or stretching sensuously while consulting with important people felt very wrong. It was jarring to see it. Animations convey emotion. They showed my char having inappropriate emotions and behavior at the wrong time. It made my char behave in such an inappropriate way that in real life no one would have taken her seriously.

I don’t know. I’d find it quite appropriate for my character to look bored and uninterested whenever Trahearne is doing anything short of dying horribly.

Hamfast.8719

I’m not sure what more you are asking for since Anet stated it will be worked on at some point depending on priority. Maybe they should delay HoT to work on female animations.

I am asking them to “flip a switch” and restore the animations exactly as they were before. (Hopefully it’s that easy). I do not want to wait another 5 months for them to be “fixed” in cutscenes that make up less than 1% of our everyday play.

If they still want to fix the animations for cutscenes, fine! But there is ZERO necessity to remove them completely from the game in the meantime.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Darn you forum bug ._. 3rd time writing this post and counting:

Playable characters are seen as to be sentient- they’re involved in the story personally. When a character yawns during a riveting moment of the story, it breaks character immersion. It detracts from the setting and ambience.

When a mini bumbles through the scene, obliviously, it’s funny because it juxtaposes the current situation and mood. Minis don’t require us to think of them as sentient, important characters.

An important thing to note here is that minis can be toggled off if you find this thing upsetting and immersion breaking. You couldn’t stop you character from yawning whilst people were dying, though.

Hiding all minis during cutscenes (no matter what) would be as much of a loss to some players in game as losing some idle animations is to you. If you don’t like to see your mini during story, just unclick the check box in the hero panel.

Hamfast.8719

It’s time for Anet to either fix it or openly state that they removed it for other reasons (and have the guts to admit what those reasons were).

I suspect something of the sort myself. If female humans acting bored ruined someone’s immersion, what about a male Norn smacking his fist into his palm? An Asura cracking his knuckles, or scratching his head? There are lots of animations that would look out of place in certain cutscenes. But these are still in the game. (Even more double standard here; see?)

Just a flesh wound.3589

I found the animations jarring but the mini pets amusing. The difference to me is, I’m used to seeing the minipets around me. Seeing a mini in a cut scene is mildly amusing. Seeing my female char idly kicking the ground at a tense moment or stretching sensuously while consulting with important people felt very wrong. It was jarring to see it. Animations convey emotion. They showed my char having inappropriate emotions and behavior at the wrong time. It made my char behave in such an inappropriate way that in real life no one would have taken her seriously.

I don’t know. I’d find it quite appropriate for my character to look bored and uninterested whenever Trahearne is doing anything short of dying horribly.

I’m not someone who is really into immersion and my only female human character hasn’t gone more than about halfway into the story line but whenever I did any, it was really jarring and unimmersive to see her stretching in a sensuous manner when talking to someone important about the dangerous situation they were in or kicking the dirt idly. It conveyed emotions that were really inappropriate for the situation.

ANet may give it to you.

Hamfast.8719

Hmm…

I see someone changed my thread title. Big Brother is watching…

JustTrogdor.7892

I am asking them to “flip a switch” and restore the animations exactly as they were before. (Hopefully it’s that easy).

Ahh, the age old, it’s as easy as flipping a switch argument.

Click yes to create the perfect MMO

The Burninator

Hamfast.8719

I am asking them to “flip a switch” and restore the animations exactly as they were before. (Hopefully it’s that easy).

Back in the old, old days of programming (anyone remember punch cards?) it was a simple matter to temporarily edit out a line of code by declaring it a “REMark”. That way you keep the code and can restore it at any time by removing the “REMark”, without having to reprogram from scratch.

I dunno what it’s like today, but I find it difficult to believe that they completely hit the recycle bin.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Except that if they coded their software properly, it really is about that easy.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

JustTrogdor.7892

Back in the old, old days of programming (anyone remember punch cards?) it was a simple matter to temporarily edit out a line of code by declaring it a “REMark”. That way you keep the code and can restore it at any time by removing the “REMark”, without having to reprogram from scratch.

I dunno what it’s like today, but I find it difficult to believe that they completely hit the recycle bin.

That’s right you don’t know and games these days are much more complex than the programing in the punchcard days. As I recall the female animation change came bundled with other major updates. I’m not familiar with the code that runs GW2 myself but I’m willing to guess it is not as easy as say checking a box like players do to change their settings in game.

Anyway, once again Gaile said it will be fixed when it is a high enough priority. Apparently it doesn’t affect enough players to place it at the top of the list at this time.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Hamfast.8719

Seeing my female char idly kicking the ground at a tense moment or stretching sensuously while consulting with important people felt very wrong.

There it is. I was waiting for someone to say it was “sensuous” or “sexy”. I don’t see it. I sincerely hope that isn’t part of the reason for its removal. But then, I’m not worried about the Norn fist-smacking or Asura knuckle-cracking either. My “immersion” isn’t spoiled so easily.

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

I am sure that it’s still in the queue. Right behind the engineer’s hobosacks and mesmer damage. So maybe by the time GW3 comes out.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Seeing my female char idly kicking the ground at a tense moment or stretching sensuously while consulting with important people felt very wrong.

There it is. I was waiting for someone to say it was “sensuous” or “sexy”. I don’t see it. I sincerely hope that isn’t part of the reason for its removal. But then, I’m not worried about the Norn fist-smacking or Asura knuckle-cracking either. My “immersion” isn’t spoiled so easily.

The animations are there to convey emotion. The Norn fist smacking can express readiness to fight. The Asura knuckle cracking can show readiness to start a job. Tell me, what does a woman idly kicking the ground or stretching show readiness to do?

It simply was inappropriate for the female chars to stretch like that or to idly kick the ground. You might not seen the stretch as sensuous, but it was routinely described in those terms. Having those animations did not fit the emotions the personal story was trying to convey.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

It is the very definition of double standard…

Posted by: JDilla.3150

JDilla.3150

The animations are there to convey emotion. The Norn fist smacking can express readiness to fight. The Asura knuckle cracking can show readiness to start a job. Tell me, what does a woman idly kicking the ground or stretching show readiness to do?

It simply was inappropriate for the female chars to stretch like that or to idly kick the ground. You might not seen the stretch as sensuous, but it was routinely described in those terms. Having those animations did not fit the emotions the personal story was trying to convey.

The female sylvari swing their arms back and forth and have a disturbing grin on their faces. Heck, even players are allowed to use tonics during cutscenes >.> Those do not fit the mood, but anyway…GW2 is just a game. I think its dumb that the animations were removed. Most of the player base don’t even re-watch the cutscenes when replaying a story. Some people want the animations back (like myself), and others don’t. It would be nice if they added an option to the Total Makeover Kits or somewhere in the Settings whether we want to have animations on or off. That’ll fix the problem to the people who do want the animations and to those who don’t..It would make both parties happy.

(edited by JDilla.3150)

Hamfast.8719

Actually, it mirrors my own feelings during most of those cutscenes. Especially the Marjory/Kasmeer soap opera.

We can go on all night like this, arguing why and debating what is “immersion breaking”. What really burns me is that ANet chose to remove them from the entire game (for 5 months and counting) because of a few cutscenes that make up less than 1% of your gaming experience. If that 1% of the time bothers some people, then fix it. But removing it from the other 99% of our game time bothers many more people.

I make sure the Bug Report reappears on their front page periodically, to remind them. But when I saw the mini pet thread, I just had to point out the incongruity as I see it. So I hope you don’t mind that I continue to bring up the subjects that concern me, and press ANet for action when I see an opening.

EDIT: Thanks for digging up my old Beta Test pictures, by the way!

Posted by: Souto.2716

Souto.2716

Except it’s not?…

In one hand you have a being capable of expressing any range of emotion. Someone who feels pain, is able to die, and is eventually a leader of people.

On the other you have a toy whose purpose is to be goofy.

Posted by: Eudaemons.1596

Eudaemons.1596

Honestly, I think they need to make completely new idle animations for female humans/norn (female norn use the same idles, it seems). The “popping your spine” animation is kind of weird and never really fit in. Same with kicking the dirt. The idle animations tend to show off a little bit of the race. Sylvari are curious, asura are precocious, male norn are tough, charr are taking in their surroundings…but female humans/norn like to kick rocks and are in desperate need of a chiropractor?

I think a better idea might be to have an animation where they put their hands on their hips and tap a foot impatiently. Maybe another animation could look like they’re brushing dust off their armor. Really, just anything that makes a little more sense.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually, it mirrors my own feelings during most of those cutscenes. Especially the Marjory/Kasmeer soap opera.

We can go on all night like this, arguing why and debating what is “immersion breaking”. What really burns me is that ANet chose to remove them from the entire game (for 5 months and counting) because of a few cutscenes that make up less than 1% of your gaming experience. If that 1% of the time bothers some people, then fix it. But removing it from the other 99% of our game time bothers many more people.

I make sure the Bug Report reappears on their front page periodically, to remind them. But when I saw the mini pet thread, I just had to point out the incongruity as I see it. So I hope you don’t mind that I continue to bring up the subjects that concern me, and press ANet for action when I see an opening.

EDIT: Thanks for digging up my old Beta Test pictures, by the way!

Yours? Lol. That was pictures I found by googling the animations. ^^

I do agree that they should have made sure that these animations were returned to the game with speed after being removed. It does seem that they have forgotten about them and they’ve been pushed to the side.

While I disliked them in the cut scenes, they were very important to people outside of this one thing and ANet should be aware of this.

ANet may give it to you.

Souto.2716

I am asking them to “flip a switch” and restore the animations exactly as they were before. (Hopefully it’s that easy). I do not want to wait another 5 months for them to be “fixed” in cutscenes that make up less than 1% of our everyday play.

If they still want to fix the animations for cutscenes, fine! But there is ZERO necessity to remove them completely from the game in the meantime.

-Fro what I understand, the team has the tools to reconfigure and re-enable the animations, but the team lead told me that naturally they’ll need to figure out when someone (or maybe more than one person) can be assigned the task. As it turns out, each animation bit needs to be reconfigured individually.-

You said it in your first post man… The problem isn’t that a switch doesn’t exist, it’s that it is a multitude of switches that are time consuming to turn on.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Wait.... I’m still caught on people watching cut scenes...

Hamfast.8719

Except it’s not?…

In one hand you have a being capable of expressing any range of emotion. Someone who feels pain, is able to die, and is eventually a leader of people.

And the female Sylvari, waving her hands around and grinning like she just told herself a funny joke? Why is that still in the cutscenes?

If my character is capable of expressing any range of emotion, then how come the only thing she can express is that her hair needs to be brushed back out of her eyes? It’s pretty boring.

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

Hamfast.8719

-From what I understand, the team has the tools to reconfigure and re-enable the animations, but the team lead told me that naturally they’ll need to figure out when someone (or maybe more than one person) can be assigned the task. As it turns out, each animation bit needs to be reconfigured individually.-

You said it in your first post man… The problem isn’t that a switch doesn’t exist, it’s that it is a multitude of switches that are time consuming to turn on.

And I am using this fortuitous mini pet thread as a prod to remind ANet of the issue, and let them know there are still people who care. (5 months is quite a lot of consumed time for something that needn’t have been removed in the first place).

What do you say, Gaile? Can we please get an update? A little reassurance that this hasn’t been swept under the rug?

Souto.2716

And the female Sylvari, waving her hands around and grinning like she just told herself a funny joke? Why is that still in the cutscenes?

If my character is capable of expressing any range of emotion, then how come the only thing she can express is that her hair needs to be brushed back out of my eyes? It’s pretty boring.

Well then, looks like THAT should have been your topic. Not that goofballs are being, well, goofballs…

So besides editing your original post to compare the female human and sylvari(which then I’ll actually be on your side because you are indeed right about why the female human was the only one to get the axe on some animations that were inappropriate) this point unfortunately does not support the topic of this thread which is comparing a sentient being with… Toys

Souto.2716

And I am using this fortuitous mini pet thread as a prod to remind ANet of the issue, and let them know there are still people who care. (5 months is quite a lot of consumed time for something that needn’t have been removed in the first place).

What do you say, Gaile? Can we please get an update? A little reassurance that this hasn’t been swept under the rug?

No you aren’t… You’re using the fact that people find the topic in that thread funny to say that anet have a double standard when deciding what is kept and what is taken out of the game…

Although having said that, I too would like an update from someone about whether or not this issue has gained any sort of priority. Enough to have at least one guy turn on one animation, or if for some reason they all have to be put in at the same time

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

They also changed the female running animation, their arms didn’t raise as high before & it didn’t look they were running in place (bc thats what it looks like bc of how goofy their arms look when they move)

dietzero.3514

Except it’s not?…

So this is not about scenes being ruined then?

Souto.2716

Except it’s not?…

So this is not about scenes being ruined then?

Nope, as Gaile said here:

Some time ago, it was noticed and reported as a “bug” that during cinematics, the “fidget” animations continued. So you’re seeing this exciting story bit about a dragon attack and, behind the scenes, your character is yawning and toeing the sand. It just didn’t fit.

It wasn’t about the scene but the reaction of your character and the fact that it wasn’t reacting to a specific situation as it should have been reacting. Toys on the other hand can’t react.

Hamfast.8719

If my character is capable of expressing any range of emotion, then how come the only thing she can express is that her hair needs to be brushed back out of my eyes? It’s pretty boring.

Well then, looks like THAT should have been your topic. Not that goofballs are being, well, goofballs…

So besides editing your original post to compare the female human and sylvari(which then I’ll actually be on your side because you are indeed right about why the female human was the only one to get the axe on some animations that were inappropriate) this point unfortunately does not support the topic of this thread which is comparing a sentient being with… Toys

Actually, someone changed the original title of my post which was “Please address the Double Standard”. (I guess that was too provocative or something?)

I suggested that if cutscene interruption was reason enough to kill the female human animations, then cutscene interruptions should also be reason enough to kill mini pets. But the mini pets were mostly received with laughter. It’s a double standard.

THAT is what my post says. It was another poster who decided that the situations weren’t the same because our characters are “sentient beings” and mini pets are just “goofy toys”. But read the mini pets thread. A few voices there are decrying the goofy little fellows as “immersion breaking”, exactly like the animations in question. So the situations are perhaps more similar than you think.

I don’t really expect them to remove mini pets, and I thought I was making a good case that they should never have removed the animations either. It was a convenient inroad for bringing the lost animations into the foreground again, reminding ANet that people still care.

dietzero.3514

Seems like the character was reacting properly to the Majory/Kas scenes.

The mini would still ruin the scene. Even if it has no emotions. Unless the intention is to laugh at every scene.

Posted by: GeminiArcher.7809

GeminiArcher.7809

Every time someone makes one of these threads, I’m reminded of just how glad I am that those dumb animations are gone. And I darn well hope they stay gone until they give us toggleable options so that my guardian isn’t forced to appear cutesy and sensuous just for having the temerity to be a female human. Give me that male Norn fist-smacking!

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Yes, they really should.

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Actually, someone changed the original title of my post which was “Please address the Double Standard”. (I guess that was too provocative or something?)

I suggested that if cutscene interruption was reason enough to kill the female human animations, then cutscene interruptions should also be reason enough to kill mini pets. But the mini pets were mostly received with laughter. It’s a double standard.

THAT is what my post says. It was another poster who decided that the situations weren’t the same because our characters are “sentient beings” and mini pets are just “goofy toys”. But read the mini pets thread. A few voices there are decrying the goofy little fellows as “immersion breaking”, exactly like the animations in question. So the situations are perhaps more similar than you think.

I don’t really expect them to remove mini pets, and I thought I was making a good case that they should never have removed the animations either. It was a convenient inroad for bringing the lost animations into the foreground again, reminding ANet that people still care.

You did make a good case, it’s just that the white knights can say anything with impunity against anyone with a criticism. (this does NOT work both ways though)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You did make a good case, it’s just that the white knights can say anything with impunity against anyone with a criticism. (this does NOT work both ways though)

Untrue. Calling someone out for deliberately negative trolling will in fact get you infracted, even if done with pure intentions.

As to the animations, I don’t completely agree with Hamfast’s presentation (though normally I do adore your posts, Hamfast, you are creatively funny at all times) but I do think that if the reason for the continued loss of animations is indeed so they won’t interfere with one cut-scene, then that’s a poor judgment call on ANet’s part.

I do miss them, mostly because I used them as impetus to decide my necro has a bad back and has to keep stretching and twisting to alleviate the pain, which has sparked a number of RP scenes. They are otherwise out of character for all my female humans …

… but if it comes down to it, I don’t think any set of animations provided for any race/gender really works well for my developed RP characters. Nor do I like any dance except the sylvari’s, the rest are too silly and too pop-reference. It’s something I live with in MMO’s for the most part. ESO does have excellent emotes, but almost too many, I can’t quickly find the ones I want for a situation and with no chat-line attached to them, most people miss seeing the short ones anyway.

So I’ll put up with odd idles that don’t fit, and I’ll put up with odd poses in cut scenes as a result. I just want there to be idles.

Posted by: Ashariel.8490

Ashariel.8490

I can’t believe these idle animations were not put back in the game by now.

The reason it was removed (apparently) that there was a few cutscenes in the living story season 1 where Marjory and Kasmeer were talking to one another, but they were often stretching and kicking the ground while in conversation.

Yeah, it was immersion breaking, but I fail to see how removing these idle animations for every female human player as a bandaid was a good idea to fix this minor problem.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I can’t believe these idle animations were not put back in the game by now.

The reason it was removed (apparently) that there was a few cutscenes in the living story season 1 where Marjory and Kasmeer were talking to one another, but they were often stretching and kicking the ground while in conversation.

Yeah, it was immersion breaking, but I fail to see how removing these idle animations for every female human player as a bandaid was a good idea to fix this minor problem.

Much like how stacking sigils and on kill traits were broken when drops were stripped out of story missions, they just took the simplest “fix” and used that, even if it breaks other things.

And then left it that way instead of finding a real solution.

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

It all balances out as most of the armor sets seem to be primarily designed with human female in mind and the male set is kind of an after thought. So what’s less animations when compared to being the art department favorite model to work from?

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: Izzu.1084

Izzu.1084

they might add them back in the expansion as “new content”.

Jala – Human Warrior – Blackgate

Posted by: MetalGirl.2370

MetalGirl.2370

I also don’t understand why are animations so bad while we’re watching cinematics, yet mini pets and tonics are perfectly fine.

Mesmerizing

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

so its not fixed yet? kitten me

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

From what I understand, the team has the tools to reconfigure and re-enable the animations, but the team lead told me that naturally they’ll need to figure out when someone (or maybe more than one person) can be assigned the task. As it turns out, each animation bit needs to be reconfigured individually.

The way Gaile made it sound yes it is basically as easy as flipping a switch.

Id like them back as well, but its not really a main concern for me. But 4+months is a pretty long time…

Posted by: MikeE.5947

MikeE.5947

Also the animation when running and jumping with a staff in hand. My female human necro looks weird to say the least.

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Also the animation when running and jumping with a staff in hand. My female human necro looks weird to say the least.

Yeah also with rifle, but i think they may have fixed it. Not sure tho LOL bc i got so used to it but this morning i was jumping around outside AC and it was perfectly normal