Please Anet, I beg you....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

…. revert the patches change to all insignias.

Leather prices are WAY out of control ever since that change.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…. revert the patches change to all insignias.

Leather prices are WAY out of control ever since that change.

There’s already a couple of active posts about this topic. A lot of people agree with you and a lot of others don’t (short version: weren’t leather values also out of control when they were vendor price?)

If you want to convince ANet to reconsider the idea, it helps to accept that ANet is among those that disagree with the idea that “leather prices are WAY out of control”. It would also help to provide to ANet an alternative mechanism for leather sinks and so that cloth prices aren’t also “WAY out of control.”

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Yasi.9065

I then pity everybody just starting out on GW2.

100g for a set of armor that is only second best? But is absolutely necessary to get started on end content?

Another 100g to max out Leatherworking?

Even “just” changing an ascended set costs something between 60g to 90g, if you are unlucky enough to have to craft your insignias.

But then, you can farm t5/t6 leath…. oh wait, nvm. You have to pray to rng-god to make him drop lots of medium armor.

There is so much wrong with leather and cloth, the whole design of it reeks. There is no sure way to farm it, not like wood and ore. It “drops”… or not.

And on that topic… whose bright idea was it to increase demand for leather drastically on several fronts, while at the same time reducing droprate and salvagerates? Even if you have to do that to shorten supply in a very short time, you have to… absolutely HAVE TO… open the valve gradually as soon as the demand plainly exceeds the supply.

Not just… wait… for the market to maybe… or maybe not… stabilize… or explode…

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People starting out in GW2 largely have it easier. When ascended was first hoisted upon us, it was extremely expensive and it was harder to acquire gold. For a long time, leather was dirt cheap — costs were 30% lower sometimes, depending on what you were making. Now, costs of leather | cloth | metal armor are within 10% of each other (for the same stats).

By the way: ascended armor is best-in-stats. It’s also best-in-game at the moment, since we can’t yet finish legendary armor. Also, if you’re going to worry about costs for new players, then don’t forget to take into account how much easier it is now to acquire 100g than it was before, too.

Anyhow, it’s besides the point: this isn’t the first or even 10th post on the same topic. Near as anyone can tell, ANet wanted leather to be worth as much as cloth & metal and now it is (a bit more today, but that will eventually be based more on which meta builds are more popular). So if you want them to do something different, you have to offer some alternative plan for comparable value and for ascended armor to be worth its weight in costs.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There is dungeon armor and karma armor that can be acquired. Maybe the stats won’t be exactly what a new player wants but both will get him set up with a decent first set of armor.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: McMarc.1276

McMarc.1276

Well… even if the prices are high (which i totally cant understand… economics, ewww) the leather is still (cept for the t6, which is not needed for your said 400 leatherworker for example) incredibly easy to get. Just play a few hours of WvW or cursed shore or sth and you’ll have a fukll stack of t5 leather. No need to buy at all, just leave the econmy, trust me, its a trap.

Marc Geht Steil / Honorable Marc / Mc Marc
Just call me Marc :3
Gatekeepers Of Desolation [GoD]

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

Posted by: Tornupto.2304

Tornupto.2304

There is one thing wrong with the insignias. Its not the price of the leather itself, but you need 4 Bolts of Gossamer and 10 Cured Hardened Leather Squares. Also Bolts of Gossamer are between 2 and 3 silver while the squares reached 77 silver. More than 20 times higher! There is an imbalance and it should be adressed.

Yasi.9065

There is dungeon armor and karma armor that can be acquired. Maybe the stats won’t be exactly what a new player wants but both will get him set up with a decent first set of armor.

You dont get dungeon armor without… at least one set of exotic berserker armor. Karma armor is extremely expensive for someone just starting out.

Having to do open pve without a good exotic armor set is painful to the extreme in 75+ maps.

Im always doing a lot of open world pve. Be it HoT maps, or CS events, or FGS events. Im opening bags mainly on lvl80 chars because I have other ways of getting my t2-t5 mats.
And if I can show 10 t6 leather sections after 2 hours of doing CS events… thats actually a good day.

So please, dont talk to me about “how easy to farm leather is”. Because it is not, definitely NOT. The demand in form of recipes for armor crafting, precursor crafting etc. exceeds the supply by A LOT.

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

I’m out of the loop. What patch changes? What’s happened to leather prices?

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Nothing, the OP is living about 9 months behind the rest of us.

Just a flesh wound.3589

You dont get dungeon armor without… at least one set of exotic berserker armor. Karma armor is extremely expensive for someone just starting out.

Having to do open pve without a good exotic armor set is painful to the extreme in 75+ maps.

Im always doing a lot of open world pve. Be it HoT maps, or CS events, or FGS events. Im opening bags mainly on lvl80 chars because I have other ways of getting my t2-t5 mats.
And if I can show 10 t6 leather sections after 2 hours of doing CS events… thats actually a good day.

So please, dont talk to me about “how easy to farm leather is”. Because it is not, definitely NOT. The demand in form of recipes for armor crafting, precursor crafting etc. exceeds the supply by A LOT.

You can get dungeon armor 2 ways without needing berserkers. One is PvP reward tracks. The other is making sure you get on an “everyone welcome” dungeon group, or make your own group and do dungeons.

Edit: there’s also the WvW reward tracks now. Join a Zerg and keep with it.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Yasi.9065

I didnt know May 2016 was 9 months ago. Good to know.

Just a flesh wound, you might find it fun to run behind a zerg leeching every fifth kill, standing in circles to get contribution and in general just being totally useless and bored…. I dont care.

All of that however doesnt change the fact that leather prices are totally out of balance, especially t6, and that reverting the patches change would lower the overall demand of all leather, resulting in more adequat prices for all tiers of leather… bringing them in line to their respective tier-counterparts.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Really hate the patches for crafting… I have never made a single patch because I never have enough mats to make enough; instead I am forced to buy them off the TP. No idea why they added it in in the first place, it just makes crafting, something that should be doable by everyone, more annoying.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Ooh, my mistake, I misunderstood. I thought you meant “patches” as in game updates, not the cloth patches crafting materials.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I then pity everybody just starting out on GW2.

100g for a set of armor that is only second best? But is absolutely necessary to get started on end content?

Another 100g to max out Leatherworking?

Even “just” changing an ascended set costs something between 60g to 90g, if you are unlucky enough to have to craft your insignias.

But then, you can farm t5/t6 leath…. oh wait, nvm. You have to pray to rng-god to make him drop lots of medium armor.

There is so much wrong with leather and cloth, the whole design of it reeks. There is no sure way to farm it, not like wood and ore. It “drops”… or not.

And on that topic… whose bright idea was it to increase demand for leather drastically on several fronts, while at the same time reducing droprate and salvagerates? Even if you have to do that to shorten supply in a very short time, you have to… absolutely HAVE TO… open the valve gradually as soon as the demand plainly exceeds the supply.

Not just… wait… for the market to maybe… or maybe not… stabilize… or explode…

It’s ~66G and not 100G to craft exotic. No need to inflate the cost by 50%.

Leather working costs about 31G to get to 400. Another 72G to get to 500. With only 32G of that from T6 leather. This ignores buying materials on buy orders, selling crafted items, and bonuses from crafting boosts.

There are ways to farm it although not as directly as wood/ore.

This is like the 4th thread or so on this subject. There was no need to create another one.

Ayrilana.1396

You don’t need exotic armor to do dungeons. It’s preferred by a lot of people but not necessary. There are other ways to get exotic armor such as reward tracks and karma vendors.

A lot of open PvE is essentially zerging. You not being in exotic armor isn’t going to have much of an impact.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Do Tequatl daily on reset, buy karma gear to start off. You’ll have full exo’s basically in a little over a week from logging in and spending 20 minutes a day killing him. The rest of the time is bonus. Your limited by stat options, but it’s all basically free.

This is what I’ve done both on my main account, and my alt account. Of course I went and put a set of ascended on my main, and am presently working on ascended for my alt… but I know that ascended armor takes a lot more time than anything else. To be honest, I’m time gated on my alt account by spirit shards. This is the only gate I see new players having difficulty with.

Money comes and goes, actually staying focused on directing the money made to the crafting/ascended is another small challenge. It’s so easy to get sidetracked in this game and spend money on other useless things.

Also as stated, dungeon gear is fairly cheap, but finding groups can sometimes take a while when playing outside of prime time.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I didnt know May 2016 was 9 months ago. Good to know.

Just a flesh wound, you might find it fun to run behind a zerg leeching every fifth kill, standing in circles to get contribution and in general just being totally useless and bored…. I dont care.

All of that however doesnt change the fact that leather prices are totally out of balance, especially t6, and that reverting the patches change would lower the overall demand of all leather, resulting in more adequat prices for all tiers of leather… bringing them in line to their respective tier-counterparts.

Did the regular maps get harder than when I started out at launch? Because I sure remember running around in rares back then and doing ok. I didn’t have exotics for a long time. Couldn’t afford them back then with the few silver a day I was getting. Couldn’t afford to buy and couldn’t afford to craft exotics back then. I remember farming mobs for the mats I needed for rares. Can’t new people do that now?

It took me a long time to get that first gold piece. Now it’s 2 gold a day just to do a few minutes of dailies. If someone is willing to do some farming, do a few meta bosses a day, then gold flows into your wallet.

If someone want to get some rares by spending some time doing the meta bosses and then do some dungeons to move up to exotics, it’s more than possible.

ANet may give it to you.

Yasi.9065

Its funny how you conveniently forget that mats for crafting were a few coppers back then, “expensive” mats a few silver.

It took you forever to get 1g because you spent it on equipping characters, which is exactly what new players nowadays are also confronted with, the only change being, everything costs about 10 times as much as back then.

Those 2g you get from dailies are spent so fast, its like having 20 silver back in the beginning.

Ayrilana, your point being? Second best set for lvl80 → exotic berserker armor.
Leatherworking maxed out → 31g+72g = roughly 100g

There are other problems atm (t6 blood mainly), but those are short term and will solve themselves.

And I tried getting into dungeon groups without maxed armor. People look at ap, look at character, and then they kick my smurf account. Or I can stay, but the group is so bad, the end of the dungeon is not reachable, after 2 wipes everybody just leaves.

But still, all of this doesnt change a simple FACT:
T6 Mats →
Cloth: 0.8s
Leather: 20s
Wood: 10s
Ore: 5s

You call this balanced? I dont. I call this a total failure.

Just a flesh wound.3589

And it seems that some people have forgotten that while mats have gone up in price, you also make way more gold today than you did back then, so it balances out. Back then I was lucky to make a few silver a day. Today, it’s easy to make several gold with one day’s play time.

You can start off with rares. The vanilla game is geared for that level. Then do what we all had to do back then. We all had to accumulate enough mats or enough karma or do dungeons to get the first set of exotics. There weren’t any map rewards back then. There weren’t any 2 gold a day dailies. The meta bosses weren’t even on the same type of schedule back then so that they could be farmed and iirc, you didn’t get a guaranteed rare either.

Like I said, I didn’t have exotics for a long time because I couldn’t afford them. I used rares until I finally got the gold to move up. It’s not that different. A new person expecting to get right into exotics once he hits level 80 may not be being realistic. He’s going to have to gear up just like we did.

Edit: I just finished up a boring farming run. Made about 20 gold.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Ayrilana.1396

Its funny how you conveniently forget that mats for crafting were a few coppers back then, “expensive” mats a few silver.

It took you forever to get 1g because you spent it on equipping characters, which is exactly what new players nowadays are also confronted with, the only change being, everything costs about 10 times as much as back then.

Those 2g you get from dailies are spent so fast, its like having 20 silver back in the beginning.

Ayrilana, your point being? Second best set for lvl80 -> exotic berserker armor.
Leatherworking maxed out -> 31g+72g = roughly 100g

There are other problems atm (t6 blood mainly), but those are short term and will solve themselves.

And I tried getting into dungeon groups without maxed armor. People look at ap, look at character, and then they kick my smurf account. Or I can stay, but the group is so bad, the end of the dungeon is not reachable, after 2 wipes everybody just leaves.

T6 Mats ->

And back then 4G/hr farms were considered good when the standard is now 20G due to SW and AB.

My point is that you exaggerated the cost of acquiring exotic armor by 50%. I was confirming the number you gave for crafting but also highlighting that it’s likely much cheaper than that.

You getting kicked has nothing to do with your armor nor does it have anything to do with whether it is possible to do a dungeon. I’ve done it with a group of people in blues before. You don’t need exotics.

It is balanced. You just have to look at the demand/supply side of it rather than focus solely on the cost differences.

Hexinx.1872

T6 Mats ->

You call this balanced? I don’t. I call this a total failure.

Just take out the wood and ore (t6) … those are farmable. I farm them daily, I farmed them when my character wasn’t even 80. As an experienced player, it’s easy … but newer players would need to learn to farm them to keep up with there needs, whether crafting or generating income. The price of leather is out of whack. For the first 2.5 years of the game leather was dirt cheap. Yet, wood and cloth were not. Also wood was tweaked slightly to require less mats for soft wood specifically. When ascended armor came out, it took 4 soft wood per plank… this was adjusted by anet, and supply flourished, and the price levelled out. Still farmable. The issue with leather is it’s (in appearance) harder to come by. This isn’t entirely accurate. As a level 80, you can go to say Harathi hinterlands, and farm the waves of mobs there… you will get some fluff drops, but you will also get lvl 80 drops. Boring way to farm though, and not for most people. Personally I wish leather was toned down slightly, making the gossamer patches is very much dependant on … leather? Weird, i would assume gossamer should be the challenge, but it’s not. Leather has issues.

That aside, it’s still far easier to kill Teq daily and be geared in exotics in a week or 10 days or so (depending if you do anything else to generate karma with the rest of your days). Any new player can easily do this, and be fully geared to battle in challenging maps. You can pick up Berserker’s sets at the temple of grenth karma merch.

Weapons I generally would waste dungeon tokens and such on. Anything to decrease the useless income in the wallet that I will never use again. I find the players playing dungeons lately and collecting tokens to be more challenging than the days of past. In fact, on one of my accounts I still have to do 2 arah runs for the gift, but that’s besides the point. Dungeon activity has seemed to have kinda died off. Adding them to daily’s won’t get people into it, I think this is just a side effect of the game being out for so many years, and natural player progression has them moving to raids.

I feel this kinda makes it a little more challenging for newer players, but to date, the easiest way to gear for new players or alts, without crafting as an option … is still karma, and Teq gives almost enough to buy 1 piece per day. I can’t remember but it’s between 15k-19k I think.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Are the people who are complaining about getting into Exotics the same people who try to zoom to 80 as quickly as possible?

Taking your time to explore the maps while you level will get you all the karma you need to purchase lvl 80 exotics from temple vendors before you ever step foot into Orr. For every character, including your first one…. then it’s just a matter of making a bee-line for the temple vendor, which shouldn’t be hard because by then you’ll be decked out in Rares… assuming you didn’t rush to much.

~EW

Hexinx.1872

…. then it’s just a matter of making a bee-line for the temple vendor, which shouldn’t be hard because by then you’ll be decked out in Rares… assuming you didn’t rush to much.

~EW

Just to follow this note up, most my alts b-lined to unlock the temple of grenth WP and karma merchant before they were 80, and in story mode reward gear…. which for the last 5-10 provide exotics as rewards. Some gear was still lower, like lvl40, and my aquabreather was still the first one provided.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just as an aside. If you have any dungeon tokens, use them to buy the rare medium armor that the dungeon merchants sell. I buy them regularly and salvage them to get leather and ectos.

ANet may give it to you.

Ayrilana.1396

If players really want more leather than they can use higher versions of the salvage kits. I’m pretty sure the vast majority are using crude or the copper fed. Crude has a 0% chance and copper fed only 10%. Use masters and mystic on leather armor.

I haven’t looked into it but, with T6 leather currently so high, I wonder what the profitability is if someone were to buy up leather armor and salvage with masters/Mystics kits.

EDIT: I’ll go a step further and help you out on how to salvage medium armor quickly. Open up your inventory and click in the search bar. Then double click the master/mystic salvage kit. Type “medium” into the search bar where your cursor should still be. Put the cursor over the first item and keep clicking until you’ve salvaged everything.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

T6 Mats ->

I wouldn’t call this a failure. It’s more along the lines of smart people seeing an opportunity to invest in T6 leather commodities.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you don’t mind doing some farming to make gold to fund your exotic armor purchases or mat buying for crafting the armor, you can try this run. Most of it was from a Reddit thread some time back and a few points is what I added. You can copy and paste it in your personal guild’s message of the day (if you don’t have a personal guild you can get one for one gold). When you rep your personal guild, it will put this message with the waypoints into your chat box. You can click on the wps in chat and jump directly to them if you have them already.

So this is my farming run. I don’t necessarily do all in one day but it makes me a decent amount of gold.

1. [&BOQAAAA=]spinach farm west
2. [&BKgAAAA=] E. seasoned wood
3. [&BLIAAAA=] East to hero point. seasoned wood
4. [&BAECAAA=] area around wp. hardwood, iron, herbs
5. [&BMcDAAA=] potato farm
6. [&BGICAAA=] SE To WP. seasoned wood
7. [&BFoCAAA=] N(Iron) S(Wood)
8. [&BFwCAAA=] SE to POI. seasoned wood
9. [&BEwCAAA=] N>NE>E to wp. hardwood, platinum
10. [&BMwBAAA=] SW>S>S to WP. hardwood, platinum
11. [&BMQBAAA=] S. hardwood, platinum
12. [&BMgCAAA=] hardwood, platinum