Please Anet, do not teach us this

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

[not another invasion thread, it is a bit too too meta to fit it in a single other thread on several topics]

There is one thing, higher than any others, that drew me to this game and has me putting so many hours per week into it: that to win you need to cooperate. That is clear right from the start. Sure, players who contribute more get higher returns but in general to get those rewards you are not supposed to ‘lone wolf’ stuff.

Like many people I bought a commander tag. I bought it to help with mentoring new players, even though that is now being taken over by the free mentor tag. I feel strongly though that you should only wear it when it helps other players rather than a vanity thing. Be that organizing. mentoring, or pointing out events. As to the last: you do not need 30 tags to point out something like the Caledon wurm, but there is no way to say so. It is why I never wear it in WVW beyond the starter areas hopping back to LA or trying to get in another shard — I would not feel qualified so would cause more confusion than not.

It is why I do not do PVP except for activities when they are a daily. I prefer to think of everyone as potential allies. I do NOT want to learn to think of them as competition and certainly not as enemies.

For events I prefer to see them through to the end unless everyone else has left and it is clear I will not win. Be it the SW or anything. If I tag an event it is usually completely by accident by being in another event next to it. It is not unusual for me to get close to the point of death on pure faith that assistance would arrive in time.

I highly appreciate you saying there was a mistake in the latest event. Clearly the technical issues (drops, xp, difficulty, etc) can be overcome. My concern is the feel of it and how it is teaching new players to think of GW2.

As I said, this seemed a bit to meta to use it as a post elsewhere (F2P, event threads, what). While there was a huge concern over GW2 becoming F2P this is MUCH worse. Right after they join we are teaching them the wrong lessons. The horse is out of the barn now though. I would welcome suggestions from others on how we can coax it to return.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

ArenaNet doesn’t need to teach players this.

Pursuing the most efficient tactic for personal “reward” is a lesson that MMOs have taught players for well over a decade at this point. They are practically CONDITIONED to seek the path of least resistance.

Menadena.7482

But it is a change from the previous philosophy. How many times have you raised (or been raised) by someone else who you did not know?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Pursuing the most efficient tactic for personal “reward” is a lesson that MMOs have taught players for well over a decade at this point. They are practically CONDITIONED to seek the path of least resistance.

Right but this event in particular makes it so that it’s good to screw over everyone else. Let everyone else complete the events I’m getting credit for, I’m just going to tag and run.

There’s no downside to it here.

Most of the mechanics in this game have been geared toward being cooperative. We can all rez each other. We dont’ have to worry about someone stealing our node, or our kill.

The problems always tend to creep up when the fast way isn’t the same way as the “intended” way. For example in the old ember farm in Orr where some people wanted to do the event and others wanted to intentionally fail it. You fix that problem by making it so that succeeding is more rewarding than failing. Then everyone is on the same page, and no one can complain. That is even the people who want to do the quick easy thing are still wanting the event finished.

In this case events need to be finished, but you don’t have to be around waiting for that to happen…and more…if you want to get max rewards you pretty much have to tag and run.

That’s just bad design, not just in and of itself. It goes against the design direction of the PvE game as a whole.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Right but this event in particular makes it so that it’s good to screw over everyone else. Let everyone else complete the events I’m getting credit for, I’m just going to tag and run.

Most of the mechanics in this game have been geared toward being cooperative. We can all rez each other. We dont’ have to worry about someone stealing our node, or our kill.

The problems always tend to creep up when the fast way isn’t the same way as the “intended” way. For example in the old ember farm in Orr where some people wanted to do the event and others wanted to intentionally fail it. You fix that problem by making it so that succeeding is more rewarding than failing. Then everyone is on the same page, and no one can complain. That is even the people who want to do the quick easy thing are still wanting the event finished.

In this case events need to be finished, but you don’t have to be around waiting for that to happen…and more…if you want to get max rewards you pretty much have to tag and run.

That’s just bad design, not just in and of itself. It goes against the design direction of the PvE game as a whole.

While I agree the meta-event is basically nothing more than a cheap re-skin of the Scarlet Invasion debacle, my point is that in many ways it doesn’t matter. When you have a good half of the player base hell-bent on breaking ANYTHING you put in front of them in their desire for the most personal rewards, anything you put out is going to look broken.

You’ve got so many players who simply refuse to admit that what we have now with this event is a direct response to past player behaviors.

No drops off mobs? Yeah, you can thank the Aetherblade Captain exploiters for that.

Hundreds of events to keep players active and on the move to get any rewards at all? Thank the AFKers during the Battle for Lion’s Arch.

No EXP or karma or anything for completing events? Gosh, that kinda sounds like a direct attempt to counter those people who power-leveled via the Queensdale champion train. Oh wait… IT IS in direct response to that behavior!

We’re the problem. And the first step to fixing the problem is admitting it.

(Granted with all that said, the answer isn’t a meta-event that is fundamentally broken to begin with like this mess is.)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

+100000 for you. Why this event is terrible:

-No loot
-No EXP, so I can’t log on my warrior or guardian and gain fast levels.
-No copper from events so no way of mitigating the obscene waypoint costs that will have to be made up for in SW or dungeons.
-No incentive to actually stay and complete events. I stay somewhere in the middle but sadly only get around 15 stacks at most and only 10 recently.

Yeah it sucks being shouted down for completing the event it’s better to have the success rewards be more than the fail. Instead of leaving spawners alive for farming why not give 10 bolts of fabric or other mats at the end of certain events to give incentive for finishing? I stay and rez (unless it’s a hunter who likes using point-blank shot and rapid fire at the worst possible moments, usually at the end of an event to burst down a non champ which minimizes the chances of others being able to tag the event sometimes you gotta combo field to tag a certain group) and throw some bombs but if I aren’t really needed I’ll bail and help at another node.

Agemnon.4608

While I agree the meta-event is basically nothing more than a cheap re-skin of the Scarlet Invasion debacle, my point is that in many ways it doesn’t matter. When you have a good half of the player base hell-bent on breaking ANYTHING you put in front of them in their desire for the most personal rewards, anything you put out is going to look broken.

You’ve got so many players who simply refuse to admit that what we have now with this event is a direct response to past player behaviors.

No drops off mobs? Yeah, you can thank the Aetherblade Captain exploiters for that.

Hundreds of events to keep players active and on the move to get any rewards at all? Thank the AFKers during the Battle for Lion’s Arch.

No EXP or karma or anything for completing events? Gosh, that kinda sounds like a direct attempt to counter those people who power-leveled via the Queensdale champion train. Oh wait… IT IS in direct response to that behavior!

(Granted with all that said, the answer isn’t a meta-event that is fundamentally broken to begin with like this mess is.)

It doesn’t justify Anet’s bad behavior by seriously gimping stuff. Power leveling isn’t wrong and isn’t something that needs “fixing” whereas low level mobs not giving EXP does. Only reason to use a low level character in this event is to save copper on waypoint costs.

We aren’t the problem.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It doesn’t justify Anet’s bad behavior by seriously gimping stuff. Power leveling isn’t wrong and isn’t something that needs “fixing” whereas low level mobs not giving EXP does. Only reason to use a low level character in this event is to save copper on waypoint costs.

We aren’t the problem.

I don’t really see the problem with leveling faster, considering how easy it is to get tomes of knowledge these days. What’s really the problem with giving some experience. Same with karma. New players need it a lot more than I do. Does it make a different to Anet if I have 4.5 million or 5 million karma? It shouldn’t.

No, this was just a badly designed and implemented event.

Posted by: Kiteisa.3189

Kiteisa.3189

We aren’t the problem.

Sorry, I must disagree with you, and agree with Vayne. He spelled it out very clearly. The players who did these things ARE what taught Anet to make this event. And those who didn’t do it, and whined about those who did… are also part of it. There is nothing wrong with power leveling, but the toxic map chat and nastiness to new players who didn’t know about the train? Don’t tell me that wasn’t there. People found something hard to fight and fought it… they didn’t know they were derailing the train. (Some people did it on purpose, I know.) When it happened, map chat was toxic. What a nice way to welcome people into the game.
Hopefully, Anet will see that we don’t want an unrewarding grind. There has certainly been enough feedback about it. Personally, I still rez, don’t get max rewards and will not change that. And I still have faith in Guild Wars 2 and the Anet staff.

Nottsgman’s Girl ~ Half of the Dynamic Duo

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They should leave current events as they are, and add a new layer of events handling that requires full participation till the end to get reward (eliminate the “tag” concept). They are teaching selfishness with the current system they are so proud of, and has been one of the most selling points of the game since it was first available to the public.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Agemnon.4608

We aren’t the problem.

Sorry, I must disagree with you, and agree with Vayne. He spelled it out very clearly. The players who did these things ARE what taught Anet to make this event. And those who didn’t do it, and whined about those who did… are also part of it. There is nothing wrong with power leveling, but the toxic map chat and nastiness to new players who didn’t know about the train? Don’t tell me that wasn’t there. People found something hard to fight and fought it… they didn’t know they were derailing the train. (Some people did it on purpose, I know.) When it happened, map chat was toxic. What a nice way to welcome people into the game.
Hopefully, Anet will see that we don’t want an unrewarding grind. There has certainly been enough feedback about it. Personally, I still rez, don’t get max rewards and will not change that. And I still have faith in Guild Wars 2 and the Anet staff.

The nastiness could be semi-justified though. How do you know if they’re knew players or those conscientiously derailing a train? It’s up to Anet to make completion more rewarding than farming an event but taking away loot and exp isn’t the way to go about it. Instead of trash mob rewards being eliminated completion awards should be buffed.

Menadena.7482

I agree that things need to give xp more often. After the first character (or at least the first few characters) leveling to 80 is more pain than it should be. You are not discovering anything new. If something does not give XP there is not a lot of incentive for lower level characters and/or new players to do it. I want to get my necro to 80 ASAP so I can get on with leveling the remaining 8 characters (yes, I have them all planned out by profession and race to #15). Whether that means tomes or just fast-spawning events. I have half a dozen 80s already so I could just sit back and play them all the time, it just happens to be my personal goal to have every race in all 3 armor classes.

Menadena.7482

I tend not to see GW2 as not just another MMO but teaching a philophy, it is what drew me here. For example, before this I got convinced to play an online war game …. and hated it. Outside of your own alliance it was dog eat dog, this even affected inside alliance as people became suspicious that newcomers were spies and would turn on you at a moment’s notice. People were sussing out when people were on so they could launch attacks when the enemy was asleep. I was actually happy when we lost as it meant the pain could finally end. Outside of looking for a game myself and others could enjoy I finally settled on GW2 (even though they no longer use it).