Please Help Me Understand....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Breneman.6380

Breneman.6380

Why Anet isn’t spending the time fixing bugs instead of focusing on a Halloween event on Oct. 22nd. Also why attention isn’t being focused elsewhere like the horrible DR system that is in place for loot/karma? While I’m glad the community is excited for the Halloween event and content, personally I’d rather have an improved game over an event that lasts for 9 days.

Don’t get me wrong I love this game and am spending a great amount of time on it but I’d just like GW2 to be cleaned up as soon as possible. THEN we can have these great events worry free from annoying bugs.

Any thoughts? Or am I just being cynical?

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

There is a large update rolled into the Halloween patch and another massive update planned for November.

Change is coming. It’s just taking a while.

Posted by: Kasoon.3758

Kasoon.3758

You’re just being cynical.

Holiday events are something fun to MMOs, they should always be there, always.

Enjoy the event.

Also, people would kitten just the same if it was not here and they were focusing on bugs.

Posted by: Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Cynical.

You act as if nothing has been improved upon in the last few weeks, which just is not true.

Posted by: GloomEmbraced.9146

GloomEmbraced.9146

I’d say it’s fairly likely that the coding/bugfix team and the content team are not the same pple.

Posted by: Kasoon.3758

Kasoon.3758

I’d also like to add that they have very likely had this event developed and ready to go for a good while now.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

different people work on different things.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-outlines-guild-wars-2-live-game-development/

scroll down to “So who are our teams, and what do they do?”

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

They have a team for each thing; they can’t have graphics designers or community manager fix code bugs.

Not sure what’s up with this “I want everything perfect and I want it now” generation.
These people seem to have grown with their parents giving them everything on demand and believe world works like that too.
Bad news, the world of business is a ship that sails by trial and error, and will get to destination once the wind allows it.

Yall be getting a lot of delusion with this mentality, just lay back and let people do their job.

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

Why Anet isn’t spending the time fixing bugs instead of focusing on a Halloween event on Oct. 22nd. Also why attention isn’t being focused elsewhere like the horrible DR system that is in place for loot/karma? While I’m glad the community is excited for the Halloween event and content, personally I’d rather have an improved game over an event that lasts for 9 days.

Don’t get me wrong I love this game and am spending a great amount of time on it but I’d just like GW2 to be cleaned up as soon as possible. THEN we can have these great events worry free from annoying bugs.

1) The developers responsible for fixing bugs are more than likely an entirely different team within ArenaNet than the team responsible for the Halloween content. It’s how things work in most other MMO teams so don’t be surprised if it is the case here.

2) The DR system was relaxed. If you still hit diminishing returns when playing then you are doing something absurdly crazy because it takes insane measures to actually trigger it. Also, attention IS being focused on the DR system, they relaxed it because it was not working to fix the problem and they are working on alternatives already. Such things are not instant fixes so you need to exercise some patience there kiddo.

Personally I think GW2 is extremely polished already with very few existing bugs compared to other recent-ish MMO launches. Over time the polish will increase as the few trivial bugs are addressed and as new content is released. To keep the most people happy they have to address both bugs and new content, if they favoured one and ignored the other then the uproar would likely be worse than the few vocal misinformed (or just uninformed) that come and cry on the forums.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

1. Things like a special halloween event are somewhat required – WOW, TSW, many others do this. Failing to follow suit sends a message to the player base regardless of how you feel about these kinds of events.

2. In these types of games which devolve to a somewhat boring grind after awhile the special events are part of what makes things fun.

3. The defects are likely at the design level and hard to correct without massive rewrites and many hours. The bots are glitching things on a daily basis so not only must they fix bugs they must also fix them in a way that prevents the bots from simply glitching the new code. Apparently this is harder than we can know given bots are getting worse and anet has known about this for many weeks.

I think if a quick fix was available we’d have it.

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Braxxis.7062

Braxxis.7062

Cynical.

You act as if nothing has been improved upon in the last few weeks, which just is not true.

During the first week after release the only bugged skill points and events were located in the Orr zones and getting 100% world completion involved server hopping for all of a couple skill points.

As of now there are more bugged skills, vistas, events, and mobs then were in the first two weeks of the games release.

There have been several changes since that time but the thread topic is based on the fixing of bugs instead of starting a holiday event amidst all of them. However they have stated that the holiday event is coming with a patch to fix numerous bugs so I’d say hold off on the cynicism until after the patch.

Nahla Lisandril / Ashelia Morin / Craulk
Yolaine / Orindine / Maliasera
~ Among the Ashes [Dust] ~

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Developers have said time and time again that they’re doing both. They have separate teams for bug-hunting and content creation, all doing their thing.

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

After I got a first profession to a certain level I recently went back to get 3 more slots and all professions to 30.

I feel your blowing a bit of smoke.

I have yet to see one single bugged vista.

The amount of skill points and DEs that are bugged appear to me to be significantly less then relese.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Braxxis.7062

I have yet to see one single bugged vista.

The amount of skill points and DEs that are bugged appear to me to be significantly less then relese.

I direct you to Missing/Broken Skill Point NPCs [Merged]

That topic is approximately a month old. During the first 2 weeks the only bugged skill points were the Orrian weapons in Orr. The events have had the same problem. With each new patch, they fix some bugs and add several more.

As for a bugged vista, for a time the Vista in Diessa Plateau through the use of the cow firing cannon was unavailable as the bug with the cannon effected the use of the mechanism on the right side used to launch players to the tower.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Come tomorrow or later on this evening they will also launch new content. Most likely within this patch well also be several fixes. From my past experiences when ever there is new content there is also a lot of fixes as well as new issues.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Mekboss.5069

Mekboss.5069

I never thought I’d see the day people would defend bugged content. I hope for your sakes that the Halloween event doesn’t have the same problems we’re seeing throughout most of Tyria.

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

You’re basically saying, why is Toyota still building new cars when they have to recall an already released lineup yet again? Actually, that’d be a less inane suggestive question, because there it’s at least both in engineering, whereas with a game there is almost no overlap. Content designers, artists, etc. are not programmers specialized in debugging and vice versa.

@Mekboss
If you take criticizing faulty logic as “defending bugged content” then it’s your own warped perception at work here.

(edited by Jamais vu.5284)

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I never thought I’d see the day people would defend bugged content. I hope for your sakes that the Halloween event doesn’t have the same problems we’re seeing throughout most of Tyria.

No one is defending bugged content.

We are simply calling shenanigans on those who ridiculously over exaggerate bugged content.

Sorry it offended you that some of use do not care for mis-representation of issues.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Posted by: Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

During the first week after release the only bugged skill points and events were located in the Orr zones and getting 100% world completion involved server hopping for all of a couple skill points.

That’s not even close to being true. Your hyperbole does not help anything.

Braxxis.7062

My bad, there were 4, not 3. I had 100% completion by day 3. The only bugged skill points I came across or ever heard anyone mention were:

Engage the Orrian Spectral Hammer – Cursed Shore
Engage the Orrian Spectral Bow – Cursed Shore
Engage the Orrian Spectral Sword – Malchor’s Leap
Engage the Orrian Spectral Guard – Straits of Devastation

For the entire first week people were serving hopping to find those 4 skill points. There were bugged events, mobs, personal story quests, but few skill points. There was that one in Iron Marches where the NPC wasn’t there, but he was just not resetting position after being beaten, so you had to find him. (He’s still doing that on occasion by the way)

My “hyperbole” (really, you can’t use the word exaggeration? Not a smart enough word for your taste?) is true. Regardless of whether it was just those 4 or there were a even just a couple others (I think there may have been one involving pirates somewhere), the fact remains that there are more bugged skill points now then there were in the first week or so.

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

The people that create new content are not the same people who fix bugs. They can’t stop adding content like the Halloween stuff because they would have too many people complaining about a lack of new content.

They already do a fine job of fixing bugs. It is a never ending, difficult, time consuming, thankless job that doesn’t bring in new players. Many other MMO’s don’t put near the same effort into that area as the GW2 team does.

(edited by DirtyDeeds.6075)