Please No Profession Loot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

As someone who mains a Guardian, this will make it much harder for me to get silk. I don’t want to have to level an alt just to gear my main. Can profession loot be an option?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I don’t understand. As a guardian, you have just as much chance of getting silk (or any other mat) as any other profession. You don’t need to level an alt to get what you need for crafting. Silk is used across all professions, so you wouldn’t need to have a light or medium armor character to get silk.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: The Comfy Chair.7265

The Comfy Chair.7265

It definitely will lead to light armour classes getting a bit of a loot advantage with the price of cloth. At least in the short term while silk is high. But all players will still get the salvage items and bags, which tend to provide a good amount of cloth materials in my experience.

I don’t understand. As a guardian, you have just as much chance of getting silk (or any other mat) as any other profession. You don’t need to level an alt to get what you need for crafting. Silk is used across all professions, so you wouldn’t need to have a light or medium armor character to get silk.

If you have a higher chance of getting profession specific loot, guardians/warriors will see a drop in light armour pieces. So they wont be able to salvage for cloth. Light armour classes will see more of those armour pieces. I think that’s the concern, at least!

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Morsus.5106

Go read today’s update. They are making it more likely to get equipment you can use, meaning I will be getting more Mithril from salvaging heavy armor and less Silk because I’ll have less light armor.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I hope they limit this to just weapons only.

Posted by: Artickaze.8647

Artickaze.8647

What a kitten are you doing Arenanet? WAKE UP AND NO MORE STUPID THINGS! so i must take my Elementalist for make some Gold?!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Sounds like a great change to me!

(disclaimer: I have all light armor classes)

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I’ve had similar concerns. While I do like the idea as it makes a lot of sense, I hope that it stops once the character hits 80. If not, Adventurer classes will see a significant drop in the value of their drops while scholars will have a dramatic increase. Even though I main a mesmer and that would benefit me, it’s not fair.

Vol.7601

It definitely will lead to light armour classes getting a bit of a loot advantage with the price of cloth. At least in the short term while silk is high. But all players will still get the salvage items and bags, which tend to provide a good amount of cloth materials in my experience.

If you have a higher chance of getting profession specific loot, guardians/warriors will see a drop in light armour pieces. So they wont be able to salvage for cloth. Light armour classes will see more of those armour pieces. I think that’s the concern, at least!

In the long-run prices will change but not in a good way

I could see the cloth price drop since supply was the limiting factor before, and it may not be moving forward

Leather will continue to be extremely low because it’s limited by demand, not supply

ore could very well increase in value because I can’t see the changes in supply keeping up with the huge demand.

Morsus.5106

Pray to whatever deity you worship you don’t ever need my Mithril for an ascended weapon… (oh who am I kidding, no one is ever going to need Mithril)

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Just when I thought they’d run out of reasons to make me stop playing my thief, this happens. Make it a toggle or for sub-80s only.

The Comfy Chair.7265

One interesting side effect will be that Leather will go up a bit too I’d imagine. There really aren’t many Engineers at all! Rangers are fairly common, but not any more than most other classes. I do think this is a good move for levelling. As for the economy, it depends more on how many of each armour type there are. This may actually drop cloth prices down anyway.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The change is good. If you’re worried about cloth professions having a better chance then you should be advocating for an increase to cloth as a raw material to drop.

Can we please stop arguing against good ideas just because they’re not perfect and instead pitch ideas to improving the good ideas?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Pray to whatever deity you worship you don’t ever need my Mithril for an ascended weapon… (oh who am I kidding, no one is ever going to need Mithril)

I can mine mithril…

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

Leather will continue to be extremely low because it’s limited by demand, not supply

not when the backpacks all will need some leather as a base reagent^^

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I like the system, but it’d definitely be better if it were for sub-80s only. It’s mostly a nice thing for leveling, but once you get to a certain point (eg, 80 in Exotics) you won’t be getting drops that can be used as an upgrade, which will give medium armor wearers a disadvantage and light armor wearers an advantage.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

The price of cloth will fall as cloth will be more common and farmed by all cloth professions. Good idea.

The Comfy Chair.7265

Yep Anet will be doing something about the low cost of leather at some point. The t5/6 versions are by far the cheapest materials, so it’s a good pool for them to draw from for future craftable items. Therefore, buy a ton of t5 leather and sit on it for a year :P

Morsus.5106

Can we please stop arguing against good ideas just because they’re not perfect and instead pitch ideas to improving the good ideas?

Except when the change actively makes the game a worse experience, (like in this case) I’m going to complain.

Posted by: Bojoo.7819

Bojoo.7819

new meta for wuw, everyones playing condi mesmer and farms greatswords and cloth

great patch 10/10

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Go read today’s update. They are making it more likely to get equipment you can use, meaning I will be getting more Mithril from salvaging heavy armor and less Silk because I’ll have less light armor.

The main problem with that is not the class and silk.

The main problem is (and always was) the level and linen, wool and cotton.
With my 8 lvl 80 char I never get enough of them, and always make a new char and level it such that it get during short 10 levels the stuff you need is the real mess.

Instead of the useless EXP boosters, I would like to get an EXP delayer.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I think this is a good change. Cloth acquisition could be changed from how it is, because it is different from most other common crafting components. However, that is not a valid reason not to implement a change like this.

If you are so worried about cloth scraps go make an alt that uses light armor. Honestly it is a bit premature to be too concerned about the fate of cloth scraps. I am pretty sure they have considered the impact on the economy when they implemented this change. They don’t have an economist on staff just for looks.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The price of cloth will fall as cloth will be more common and farmed by all cloth professions. Good idea.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking.

Knowing that silk is valuable, farmers will start playing on light armor classes which will cause silk production to increase.

Server: Devona’s Rest

pdavis.8031

Ok. Didn’t see the new blog. All caught up now.

But my initial thoughts on the matter, still don’t lead to believe that it will be a major issue. There are still plently of other ways to get silk, and other cloth, other than slavaging. Plus you’ll still be getting light/medium armor drops to salvage, just not as much as before.

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

toggles, or specific settings for what type of things you want to hunt would be good imo

Morsus.5106

If you are so worried about cloth scraps go make an alt that uses light armor.

I’m not sure if you see the problem here. I shouldn’t have to make an alt to gear my main.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I love this change. I don’t want more mithril, but I do like that my loot tables are changed up and I might actually get an exotic weapon my main profession uses. I have a third guardian that needs gear and this will help.

And it is not going to stop heavy classes from ever getting silk or items that salvage into silk, it is just going to reduce how much un-usable gear you get.

Overall, so far I’m really liking the upcoming changes. There will be bugs and issues, but I’m liking where this is going.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

If i read it correctly, this is only the case for LOWBIES. Not lvl 80’s. So stop panicking, please man. All the loot addicts like Vol panick way to fast.

Secondly, i sometimes play a newb char, like ranger, and sometimes i kill non stop mobs in hope to get a quick longbow. Guess what, i get lots of weapons but no bow. So i can relate with arenanets decision. But it has to remain for lowbies (below lvl 40 where weapon variety is small anyway). Above that, it would mean to much farm advantage for light armor.

Then again for ascended armor light armor is ultra punished compared to heavy armor like you Vol. If we have to pay more, why not get more loot (well it ain’t even loot, it’s just necessary item in the form of silk)? No disbalance there tbh.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Vol.7601

Yep Anet will be doing something about the low cost of leather at some point. The t5/6 versions are by far the cheapest materials, so it’s a good pool for them to draw from for future craftable items. Therefore, buy a ton of t5 leather and sit on it for a year :P

I too think they will have to address leather, but making it a component in a semi-desirable item would not be the way to do it.

I do not have the link, but I remember John Smith talking about silk and how he regretted how it was handled when they introduced it as a component for ascended items. The requirements were too over-ambitious and as a result the price became highly volatile. The same mistake shouldn’t be repeated with leather.

Morsus.5106

And it is not going to stop heavy classes from ever getting silk or items that salvage into silk, it is just going to reduce how much un-usable gear you get.

The reason it will be decreasing my silk drop is because the only way to get silk is to salvage armor or a salvage item. By reducing the amount of light armor that drops for me I’ll be salvaging light armor less, and in turn reducing how much silk I get. I haven’t had to buy silk before now, and I don’t want to have to start because ANet messed with my drops.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It says it’s to help leveling players. I doubt it would apply to level 80s, unless they wanted to force the use of alts.

Personally though, I usually level solo and end up level 80 with level 40-60 gear equipped. Gear doesn’t matter to me so I’d rather have a choice. Besides, if leveling characters need gear, there’s always crafting, karma, vendors and the personal story to acquire some.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I have large concerns regarding not crafting mats, but rare items themselves.

I am afraid that may lead to large imbalances of supply of specific items in the long run, as well as to discrimination across classes, both real and psychological – which would lead to a lot of frustration while playing and knowing that you’re playing the wrong class.

For example, how should necromancers, thieves, engineers and elementalists feel about never getting the expensive Dusk or Dawn and getting some trash precursor instead? Or how should I feel if, say, I’m using my guardian to farm for a dagger precursor for my ele?

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Hmm, how bout this:

Make it so that the resource drops (such as silk and leather) have a chance to drop from any armor class, if the armor is in the range of something like 75-80.

This way:
- People are still more likely to get useful gear, even at max level
- People farming for end-game mats won’t get gypped because of their class’s armor type

Side note: Loving the spirit of the changes!

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

it’s only for leveling….

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Profession loot is very very bad idea.
- there are items for example rare GS or staffs what have like double average price than other weapons so again favor for already prefered classes like War or Guard. End precursors? So meanwhile Warriors ect will drop Dusks for 1500g while other cant drop it?.
- Another thing is salvage. I cant compare price of silk to mithril or leather.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Morsus.5106

it’s only for leveling….

Not it’s not.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

This is generally a good change, because it priotizes personal rewarding over trading post tactics. The advantages are worthier than the disadvantages.

I also wouldn’t mind if this affected even lv80 characters. It would bring something a bit more unique to playing with alts, and if you don’t like it, you always have the trading post to rely for and make your trades.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

As someone who mains a Guardian, this will make it much harder for me to get silk. I don’t want to have to level an alt just to gear my main. Can profession loot be an option?

Just hit 1 more often near humanoids.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I have large concerns regarding not crafting mats, but rare items themselves.

I am afraid that may lead to large imbalances of supply of specific items in the long run, as well as to discrimination across classes, both real and psychological – which would lead to a lot of frustration while playing and knowing that you’re playing the wrong class.

For example, how should necromancers, thieves, engineers and elementalists feel about never getting the expensive Dusk or Dawn and getting some trash precursor instead? Or how should I feel if, say, I’m using my guardian to farm for a dagger precursor for my ele?

While they may not have as much of a chance to get one of the greatsword precursors, they would have higher chances at getting one they could use (and some are equally expensive).

I don’t have anything to worry about since I’ll never see one drop for me period, regardless of which character I’m playing. :P

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

If you are so worried about cloth scraps go make an alt that uses light armor.

I’m not sure if you see the problem here. I shouldn’t have to make an alt to gear my main.

You won’t. Cloth prices are going to tumble hard as farmers focus on using light armor classes to boost their silk gains.

If you don’t want to make an alt, you will still have the option to get cloth for a LOT less money soon.

Server: Devona’s Rest

pdavis.8031

Profession loot is very very bad idea.
- there are items for example rare GS or staffs what have like double average price than other weapons so again favor for already prefered classes like War or Guard. End precursors? So meanwhile Warriors ect will drop Dusks for 1500g while other cant drop it?.
- Another thing is salvage. I cant compare price of silk to mithril or leather.

It’s not that the other profession can’t drop it. They speficially said they can drop rare/exotic items for other professions.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

I too think they will have to address leather, but making it a component in a semi-desirable item would not be the way to do it.

I do not have the link, but I remember John Smith talking about silk and how he regretted how it was handled when they introduced it as a component for ascended items. The requirements were too over-ambitious and as a result the price became highly volatile. The same mistake shouldn’t be repeated with leather.

found this: http://imgur.com/a/7cmzn

so no leather^^

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

As someone who has to make bolts of damask for kitten near everything my ele uses, forgive me if I do not share you opinion.

Posted by: SilverCrow.8102

SilverCrow.8102

looks like i’m definitely choosing gpa over gw2 this time then.

first i don’t totally disagree with the professional loot and all but we’re forgetting stuff here.

one is that, when people get loot, they don’t wear it, they either sell it or SALVAGE it. so what’s the purpose of getting the loot in accordance to your profession? Exotics are now “easier” to get because of gold acquisition + wvw badges.

two is that yes silk, is going to be a bit of a problem because i mean i think that the crafting still has some balancing to do especially that between heavy vs medium vs light.. light armors is harder to craft because of silk and how about crafting for profit?
seems to be that it is really imbalanced as proof, check bolt of damask and compare it with elonian leather square. not to say add linen, wool, and cloth to that. and THICK LEATHER SECTION. (sorry for capitalization )

and no precursor crafting either. meh. (lololol)

seems to me only people who knows how to play the market will be able to go beyond their lives without adjusting (much) and have fun.

reality check*
people who knows how to play real money = rich = cool stuff
people who win the lottery (lucky) = rich = cool stuff
virtual check*
people who knows how to play gold = rich = cool stuff
people who gets the epic drop (lucky) = rich = cool stuff
“oh i forgot that gw2 is a game.” LOL

i still love pizza.

please less hate and more love. Love you guys!

yours truly,
kitten

DiogoSilva.7089

Yes, some people will be unhappy with farming, but GW2 needs more prof. distinction and personal rewards. Its current design gravitates towards the trading post a bit TOO much, at the cost of the entire reward structure. This change marks the first(?) step of a paradigm shift to anet’s reward philosophies.

Keep in mind that if you are a new player, you WON’T care much about the trading post much. No, you are playing a RPG, you want to be addicted by what the genre is good at offering: and more interesting rare loot is one such thing, something that this game is rather underwhelming at.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Except when the change actively makes the game a worse experience, (like in this case) I’m going to complain.

Ok…you seem to not be understanding. This isn’t saying you shouldn’t complain, but complain about the right thing.

Making gear for leveling players more readily attainable is a good thing, even if you don’t care about it. Your problem is that it will keep you from getting silk, which means your problem can be resolved by addressing the silk situation instead of stopping a change that will benefit players.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

If you don’t want to make an alt, you will still have the option to get cloth for a LOT less money soon.

This is what I honestly think too, because like you said farmers will be in it for the silk and with this loot change it is likely they will get more silk than they did before thus bringing the prices down. Unless all farmers decide to game the economy as one to keep the prices stable, some may try but unfortunately the economy is too massive to be controlled that easily for a long term.

Morsus.5106

This is generally a good change, because it priotizes personal rewarding over trading post tactics. The advantages are worthier than the disadvantages.

I also wouldn’t mind if this affected even lv80 characters. It would bring something a bit more unique to playing with alts, and if you don’t like it, you always have the trading post to rely for and make your trades.

This wouldn’t be as big of a problem if they were evenly priced, but they are not. Mithril ore is worth ~45 copper, however Silk Scrap is worth ~2 silver, and poor Leather is worth ~10 copper. This reduces income for Heavy and Medium armor class while boosting it for Light armored classes. I’m also asked for a lot of silk to get my ascended armor, and I shouldn’t be hindered in acquiring it because of my chosen class.

DiogoSilva.7089

Ok…you seem to not be understanding. This isn’t saying you shouldn’t complain, but complain about the right thing.

Making gear for leveling players more readily attainable is a good thing, even if you don’t care about it. Your problem is that it will keep you from getting silk, which means your problem can be resolved by addressing the silk situation instead of stopping a change that will benefit players.

Exactly.

Anet should take this opportunity to balance silk acquision. Outside of that, this change is a good one.