Please No Profession Loot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well the more ppl farming in light armor the more cloth the cheaper it will become.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

From what I have read, profession loot seems like a nice feature. My main concern is the stats for said weapon drops. I’d probably get more chances getting a scepter or a staff as an Elementalist, although the issue is that chances are if I more than likely do not get the stats I am after (i.e. I want more Power but instead all I get is more Healing), then it won’t do much for me. If that is indeed the case, then at the very least I can salvage for something I can REALLY use.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Wait a minute… does ANet still consider they have “drops” on their mobs? I thought it was perfectly clear already that there are no “drops” in GW2 and everything that falls from mobs are salvage material

I mean,… are they really aware of what’s going on in GW2? do they know that to craft heavy you need light? maybe this idea was tossed out by a new hired and approved by a senior who never logged into the game… its the only reasonable explanation

Umm…I crafted a full set of ascended heavy without ever touching light or medium. In fact, I don’t have any levels in medium or light.

World first not to craft damask silk and get a full set of heavy armor then… unless we play different games, I needed tonz of light armor materials to craft my heavy. Not only silk but all kind of cloth

Damask silk can be crafted via heavy armorsmith. The cloth materials are not limited to light armorsmithing (tailoring), but can be made with all the armorsmithing trades (light, medium, and heavy)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armorsmith
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leatherworker
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tailor

Yes there is some overlap, but one is not dependant on the other trades.

I think you don’t get it…. without salvaging light armor, there is no other way (other than bags which is unreliable) to get cloth materials. Get it? You can’t craft a heavy armor without salvaging light armor. Cloth doesn’t grow on trees and can’t be gathered and it would be a terrible mistake to limit this to the TP.

Actually, there are more ways fairly reliable ways to get cloth (as much as RNG can be considered “reliable”) Much of my cloth I gathered was not due to slavaging. Bags, salvagable cloth item (i.e worn garment, rag, etc.) map completion actually gives quite a bit, and karma can be used to get cloth.

Eitherway, as stated before, we don’t know if this applies to level 80, or to armor drops. The blog specifially talks about weapons, and leveling. Of course we can infer that it will effect armor, but until we get a clear answer, or see it in action, everything is a knee jerk reaction and pure speculation.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

As a side note… has anyone ever actually equipped a drop before?

I’ve looted probably 10,000 armor pieces, I don’t think i’ve ever equipped a single one.

Does Anet actually think people do this?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I’ve looted probably 10,000 armor pieces, I don’t think i’ve ever equipped a single one.

Only when I’m leveling, which seems to be what this change is for since it will be annoying at level 80.

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

No, I not even opened the two Asc armor boxes I got so far, they have stats I have no use for.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Meh. Raging about something that hasn’t come into practice yet is ridiculous. When are we going to learn to wait and rage when we actually really know something?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

to reiterate

what they should do:

• Item hunter type (select your drop type)
    • mesmer
    • guardian
    • warrior
    • theif
    • necromancer
    • ranger
    • engineer
    • elementalist
    • your current crafting discipline

default would be your current class.
having the option would basically allow people to have a greater effect on supply, which would itself help balance many out of balance markets, with a more adaptive supply. WITHOUT making people play or not play certain classes.

its an all around win

A crafted amulet/infusion which magically redefines your loot drops would make sense.

20 level 80s and counting.

Morsus.5106

Meh. Raging about something that hasn’t come into practice yet is ridiculous. When are we going to learn to wait and rage when we actually really know something?

Raging about Commander tags costing 300 gold per color got it changed to 300 gold for all colors. Sometimes it’s best to let the developers know what we think of their proposed changes before it’s released.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Really, why on earth can you not get fibers for cloth from harvesting plants? That’s where they come from, it make sense, far more sense than farming people and rotting nearly naked undead for them!

It’s also why we kill bandits and Flame Legion. Bandits stole alchemical process to make butter from milk from Queen Jennah, and Flame Legion worship Poladeen, who gives them butter in exchange for wood to sacrifice for the Eternal Fryer.

I.. don’t know if I’m joking or not.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Cloth doesn’t grow on trees

Only in GW2…

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

For what it’s worth, I have. I don’t min/max, though.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: GammaBreaker.9102

GammaBreaker.9102

This is a quit-worthy disaster if it’s not limited to pre-80s.

I wouldn’t call it quit worthy, but I’d say it’s an issue from 1 all the way to 80. Getting mid-level cloth can be quite a PITA because you outlevel the relevant zones so quickly.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I gotta say, I was immediately concerned when i read about “profession loot.” It sounds great for leveling characters, but for max level people who no longer depend on random drops for their gear it will not necessarily be a positive change.
As others have mentioned, the major problem will be cloth. Everyone needs cloth for their crafting, whether they wear “cloth” tier armor or not. Cloth can’t be gathered, and is annoyingly hard to get. This is just going to make it that much more difficult for medium and heavy professions.

If i read it correctly, this is only the case for LOWBIES. Not lvl 80’s. So stop panicking, please man.

It does seem to say (in a non-committal sort of way) that this will be a feature for leveling players.

Uh… you guys must be reading a different article than I am, because it certainly does not say it applies only to leveling characters. It explains that the idea behind it was to benefit leveling characters, but in no way does it say this change stops applying when you hit 80. Granted, it is a short blurb and doesn’t go into details, but until otherwise stated we can assume this will be universal.

(edited by Fyrebrand.4859)

Posted by: Moshari.8570

Moshari.8570

over-dramatize much? According to these forums, everything is a quit-worthy disaster. If they DIDN’T make this change someone would call it a quit-worthy disaster.

It’s really not that big of a deal.

Look at it this way, A guardian has less of a chance of getting silk…but you have MORE of a chance of getting DUSK!

Plus, if this is like any of their other drop changes (remember the patch that stated “significantly increased drop rates of ascended armor boxes in FOTM”)…then you won’t notice the change at all.

People panic and threaten to quit if an ANET employee stubs their toe around here.

“The said “Ouch.” you know what that means….their killing off all the warriors in the game and converting them to necros."
"no, you fool, everyone knows that “OUCH” stands for “Operates Under Cattle Hooves” so everyone is going to be turned into a cow."
“If that happens I’m going to quit.”
“I’m quitting also until a dev comes on here and explains what exactly they meant by “Ouch.”
“DEV’s!! You never talk to us…why won’t you explain this new “Ouch.” to us!

Relax folks, your world will not end.

zenleto.6179

Raging about Commander tags costing 300 gold per color got it changed to 300 gold for all colors. Sometimes it’s best to let the developers know what we think of their proposed changes before it’s released.

That’s completely different to this. You knew how it was going to work. With this new drops thing you have no idea how much or little it’s tweaked.

Morsus.5106

Look at it this way, A guardian has less of a chance of getting silk…but you have MORE of a chance of getting DUSK!

Doesn’t matter how much they buff it by 1,000,000 times 0 is still 0. In all seriousness, I hope that you are joking. You have increased odds of getting a Greatsword period, so Dusk dropping is still around a one in a hundred million chance.

Posted by: SilverCrow.8102

SilverCrow.8102

Rather than raging, I’d say its more about brainstorming and collaborating.. we are not devs or something but we are players and we play a very big part of the game that’s why they tell us in advance what they are proposing because the minds of more people are always going to better than less. People reacting to these kind proposals with a standpoint actually shows that people do care about the game. Raging complains without reason and from what i see… rage is not a correct term on this.

less hate more love.

yours truly,
kitten

pdavis.8031

over-dramatize much? According to these forums, everything is a quit-worthy disaster. If they DIDN’T make this change someone would call it a quit-worthy disaster.

Plus, if this is like any of their other drop changes (remember the patch that stated “significantly increased drop rates of ascended armor boxes in FOTM”)…then you won’t notice the change at all.

People panic and threaten to quit if an ANET employee stubs their toe around here.

“The said “Ouch.” you know what that means….their killing off all the warriors in the game and converting them to necros."
"no, you fool, everyone knows that “OUCH” stands for “Operates Under Cattle Hooves” so everyone is going to be turned into a cow."
“I’m quitting also until a dev comes on here and explains what exactly they meant by “Ouch.”

I think you just won the internet. I laughed WAY too hard at this. Thank you.

recognize my command!”

zenleto.6179

Rather than raging, I’d say its more about brainstorming and collaborating.. we are not devs or something but we are players and we play a very big part of the game that’s why they tell us in advance what they are proposing because the minds of more people are always going to better than less. People reacting to these kind proposals with a standpoint actually shows that people do care about the game. Raging complains without reason and from what i see… rage is not a correct term on this.

less hate more love.

yours truly,
kitten

I care about the game as well and I’m more than happy to wait until I see something in action before voicing my complaint.

So thanks, kitten.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Just here to join in the dismay – I shouldn’t be penalised for playing on my guardian…

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I think the change would make far more sense if it was only in effect before 80. Once you are 80, it reverts back to equal chance for everything.

Or, make it a setting that we can change. There’s a novel idea.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I also hope this only applies to either sub-80’s or only applies to weapons at 80. While I spend most of my time on my necro, I don’t want to reduce my chances of drops relevant to my other characters. Sure, lots of silk is nice, but really, I prefer the variety of armor drops.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

How about packaging every item into a choice box like ascended

10 clicks more per loot item, but hey you can decide on your own what you get

PS: No I do not work for Logitech, I do not want to increase mouse-replacement sales due to broken mouse button.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

+9000

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

PS: No I do not work for Logitech, I do not want to increase mouse-replacement sales due to broken mouse button.

LMAO – hey, thanks for reminding me! I just switched to my backup M705 and need to contact Logitech (as I do every 5 months) to see about sending this last one back for a warranty replacement. Sure wish they made unifying receiver mice that lasted longer.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

LOL… Another Daily Show special from Anet.

Game Parody. Not Fact Checked. Not Fully Thought Through!

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

Vote no for profession loot!

Posted by: Ashlee.8409

Ashlee.8409

Oh yes, I’m Engi, Lets get some Exotic Rifles, Pistols and Shields, while other Professions get Swords & Greatswords. Sounds Fair.

Time to stop playing this game, seriosly.

Morsus.5106

Oh yes, I’m Engi, Lets get some Exotic Rifles, Pistols and Shields, while other Professions get Swords & Greatswords. Sounds Fair.

Time to stop playing this game, seriosly.

Don’t forget, lots and lots and lots of leather.

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

As a cloth user mostly, I am in favor of profession loot. It costs so much more and takes so much more resources to make cloth armor than it does the other armor types. So clothies could use more cloth drops to salvage. I think it would better though if weapon drops were exempt as the market is very lopsided on those.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Actually, there are more ways fairly reliable ways to get cloth (as much as RNG can be considered “reliable”) Much of my cloth I gathered was not due to slavaging. Bags, salvagable cloth item (i.e worn garment, rag, etc.) map completion actually gives quite a bit, and karma can be used to get cloth

Eitherway, as stated before, we don’t know if this applies to level 80, or to armor drops. The blog specifially talks about weapons, and leveling. Of course we can infer that it will effect armor, but until we get a clear answer, or see it in action, everything is a knee jerk reaction and pure speculation.

Please enlighten me on the karma way of getting cloth… btw, I have 7 lvl 80s… and still think its a horrible idea. Conceptually, it shows their lack of knowledge on the game and its truly concerning.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Scandi.5693

Actually, there are more ways fairly reliable ways to get cloth (as much as RNG can be considered “reliable”) Much of my cloth I gathered was not due to slavaging. Bags, salvagable cloth item (i.e worn garment, rag, etc.) map completion actually gives quite a bit, and karma can be used to get cloth

Please enlighten me on the karma way of getting cloth… btw, I have 7 lvl 80s… and still think its a horrible idea. Conceptually, it shows their lack of knowledge on the game and its truly concerning.

Buy cloth items with karma, throw them in mystic forge, salvage results. Boring and tedious.

Morsus.5106

Well the more ppl farming in light armor the more cloth the cheaper it will become.

Shouldn’t the amount of cloth remain the same though? Two armor weights have it nerfed, and one has it buffed, so it just changes who gets the silk, not the amount.

pdavis.8031

Buy cloth items with karma, throw them in mystic forge, salvage results. Boring and tedious.

yup. Its is boring and tedious, but generates a decent amount of cloth.I found crab grabbing gloves to be the best for linen. They are cheap.

recognize my command!”

Scandi.5693

yup. Its is boring and tedious, but generates a decent amount of cloth.I found crab grabbing gloves to be the best for linen. They are cheap.

Yes I buy those as well, but not so often. I still have millions of karma but doing the mystic forge method is so boring I want to cry. I wish we could just salvage the initial item and not have to convert it. I know it would hurt prices but they need to be hurt, just too expensive now.

pdavis.8031

But this would imply that the devs dont ever play the game. But we know that they do in fact play, as seen by the multiple “unfair banning/abuse of power” threads. Also

After thinking about this I feel like many of you think that every dev should have complete understanding of every aspect of this game. And my gut reaction is to say that it is unreasonable to expect that from us, after all Guild Wars 2 is a huge game, and even now I am still discovering new things in it. And whether or not it is reasonable to expect that, it is not that I don’t have complete understanding due to a lack of trying. I mean sure I only spend about 20 hours a week on my own time playing Guild Wars 2, this does not include the time that ArenaNet sets aside for all of their employees to play the game, and sometimes it can be hard to get through jumping puzzles, fractals, WvW, activities, sPvP, dungeons, tPvP, living story, Hot-Joins, crafting, guild missions, ect with only a finite amount of time each week to play. I could probably cut more time out of playing other games, enjoying my hobbies, working to improve my programming ability, trying to maintain friendships and spending time with family to play more Guild Wars, but right now that isn’t something I am willing to do. So instead I’m just going to understand that some players are going to see problems that I don’t. And ask them for as much information I can so that the problem can be identified and fixed. And I appreciate that our players understand this as well and are willing to bring these problems up in a polite and respectful manner.

recognize my command!”

Mesket.5728

Branden Gee post only confirms my concerns… they do not have a clue about their game. I’m sorry for Branden but if he is a developer and needs to spend time coding and training then its not his job to think. The game designer (not the developer) should be the person 20 hours a day inside GW2 to understand the game and not let decisions like go through. This is not the first time ANet toss something out that shows their lack of knowledge on the game.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I see most complaining coming from Guardians? that is strange, I main a warrior and could care less. Sure more mithril sucks, cuz it is next to dirt (Leather is pretty much dirt).

But unless you exclusively play PvE, and since PvP boxes are pure RNG anyways, guardians in blobs in WvW spamming 1, ring in a ton of loot, exponentially more than other classes….just salvage everything as normal and move on.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Branden Gee post only confirms my concerns… they do not have a clue about their game. I’m sorry for Branden but if he is a developer and needs to spend time coding and training then its not his job to think. The game designer (not the developer) should be the person 20 hours a day inside GW2 to understand the game and not let decisions like go through. This is not the first time ANet toss something out that shows their lack of knowledge on the game.

And this shows that you know nothing about development. Good developers are constantly honing their skills. Languages are constantly improving and good devs have to keep up with that to remain relevent. I work for a company that just hit 300 people, of which more than 80% are developers – Java, .Net, PHP, etc. The higher level devs, the seniors and leads, are always working on something, always looking at the new technologies, checking out the advancements in their languages and in others to see how they might be applied to their own projects in a beneficial way.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

my vote is for it to be only applied to non 80’s. I like the idea as it makes crafting and finding gear more relevant (currently as it is I just buy all my gear from the TP every 10 levels as i’m leveling). It would be way more enjoyable to have dropped loot help me out more.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I don’t understand. As a guardian, you have just as much chance of getting silk (or any other mat) as any other profession. You don’t need to level an alt to get what you need for crafting. Silk is used across all professions, so you wouldn’t need to have a light or medium armor character to get silk.

Go read today’s update. They are making it more likely to get equipment you can use, meaning I will be getting more Mithril from salvaging heavy armor and less Silk because I’ll have less light armor.

Still doesn’t change all of the whites that one salvages to get these items. I’ve not once had an actual outright drop of gossamer I’ve only received goss from salvages and from bags.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

pdavis.8031

Maybe I should have linked the source at the beginning. Basically he was responding to a portion of the game (pvp) that was not in his area of expertise. As a gameplay programer, that could mean a number of things, and is probably specialized in say weapon animations and effects (just throwing out something random) and not pvp UI or mechanics.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/please-remove-rank-from-spectator-mode/first

Either way my point is, that the devs DO play, and also have company mandatory time set aside to play.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This change is actually good. It will help the economy in the long run. The short term disruption to the economy will be felt, but overall it’s a better system. You’ll be able to sell all those items for more gold, because the market won’t be flooded anymore.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I have some concerns about this new system as well.

1) cloth materials such as silk are more valuable than leathers.
2) Increasing a light armor wearer’s drop rate of cloth increases his wealth gain.
3) decreasing a medium armor wearer’s drop rate of cloth slows his wealth gain.

If the adjustment to relative drop rates is equal (the amount of cloth added to light armor wearers equals the amount of reduction for medium/heavy armor wearers) and player distribution is comparable, then the supply of cloth does not go up and prices do not go down. All you end up with is redistribution of wealth from non light armor wearers to light armor wearers.

Even if the reduction in cloth drops for medium/heavy armor are more than offset by the increase for light armor wearers, resulting in a net increase of cloth being added to the system and so a long term reduction in market value/price for cloth, the short term impact on non light armor wearers has the potential to be unpleasant.

I am not saying that this change will be a disaster, rather that, if not handled very carefully, it could very negatively affect a portion of the playerbase.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If you worked for Fellows, I’d be suspicious. Those things lasted me 6 months. Logitech mouse? 5 years. Then I got the same exact one~

Kidding aside, someone else brought up how silly the idea is. Level 80s don’t scrounge gear off of enemies, and a profession-based loot system means that clothies are going to get mega-paid.

Fortunately, I have several clothies at 80.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

Well ladies and gentlemen. I can only say this. GET REKT!

Mesket.5728

And this shows that you know nothing about development. Good developers are constantly honing their skills. Languages are constantly improving and good devs have to keep up with that to remain relevent. I work for a company that just hit 300 people, of which more than 80% are developers – Java, .Net, PHP, etc. The higher level devs, the seniors and leads, are always working on something, always looking at the new technologies, checking out the advancements in their languages and in others to see how they might be applied to their own projects in a beneficial way.

You post makes no sense and you actually says the same I said… (and I already programmed my first video game and working as a game designer for my second one though I don’t need to give you any info about, just letting you know im not randomly saying this) if he has to do all that, then he should not be the one proposing changes. The game designer should be the one behind the changes, not him. I don’t even know if he is the one who proposed it but in any case, devs to code, designer to design… and this game has very good devs but very bad designers.

Scandi.5693

If you worked for Fellows, I’d be suspicious. Those things lasted me 6 months. Logitech mouse? 5 years. Then I got the same exact one~

Kidding aside, someone else brought up how silly the idea is. Level 80s don’t scrounge gear off of enemies, and a profession-based loot system means that clothies are going to get mega-paid.

Fortunately, I have several clothies at 80.

They won’t get mega paid, if anything the price of cloth will drop to be inline with leather and mithril (as cloth users will get their own cloth now and not have to buy). Look at the disparity in costs with crafting cloth ascended versus leather or plate, its silly high. I hope this change will balance it.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Alright so the new meta class is Mesmer

That way you get the two most valuable items (greatswords and cloths)

anyone know a mesmer farming guide? ;3

much better is necro

very easy to farm with necro and you get cloth + dagger + staff

farming with a mesmer is horrible^^

You get Greatswords as a Mesmer though.

Of the three classes with silk outfits:

Mesmer has 9 weapons.

Necromancer has 8 weapons.

Elementalist has 5 weapons.

If we consider that the following are high-value weapons (the rares are worth 50+ silver, not 30something): Great sword, sword, staff, Daggar:

Mesmer has 3/9 or 33.33% of its weapons high-value.

Necro has 2/8 or 25% of its weapons high-value.

Elementalist has 2/5 or 40% of its weapons high-value.

At this preliminary look, Elementalist seems to be the best choice, BUT when I get home after classes I can check the tp and compare the actual base prices of every weapon and make a more educated decision.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

(edited by Piogre.2164)