Please No Profession Loot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Maybe it’s even a good thing. Now you can influence your drops by choosing your character. I need more of this, ok, let’s use this class.
And is there really any veteran who hasn’t a lvl 80 of every class?

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Posted by: gobax.6185

gobax.6185

Stupid idea anet. Open your eyes. Try playing the game first before implementing useless changes. Use your resources on addressing the main issues of the game rather than spending it on something useless or even harmful to the game like this system.

Smart looting will destroy heavy and medium armors. The hard to get linen and cotton scraps will only get stupidly harder to obtain because of this crap system.

If this gets implemented. You will only see necros memsers and elementalist running around in game on low level, mid level and high level areas. Its not that hard to see if you are playing your own game.

How do i know you are not playing your own game? Simple. Based on the previous patches, youve been making useless changes to the game rather than addressing the issue itself.

You guys have this mentality
“Oh theres an issue on cleansing ire! Warriors are always using hammer and bow for pvp! Lets fix that by buffing axe”

Kinda stupid right? Youre not fixing anything.

Dont get me wrong. I love this game. Im sticking with it until it dies.

Just want to vent out my frustration because you guys are slowly digging its grave.

I know you guys dont read every player’s post but atleast try to play the game so you will know the real issues.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Maybe it’s even a good thing. Now you can influence your drops by choosing your character. I need more of this, ok, let’s use this class.

But what if someone doesn’t like any of the light armor classes? Should they be forced to play a class that they do not like to get the same rewards as someone who likes to play the light armor classes?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yes

Seera.5916

Yes

I should have also said that I, too, don’t have a level 80 of every class. I have 1. An elementalist. And even I’m against a noticeable change in drops at level 80. And I would stand to profit from it.

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

Does this mean that it will affect level 80s?

Yes it will but the change will not be easily noticeable.

I’m sorry, but what you’re saying doesn’t add up. The change is supposed to make things easier for leveling characters, which means that they should be able to notice some difference. Level 80s tend to get several times more loot than leveling toons, especially when farming for it. The way RNG works… any change that can be noticed in a small sample size should be much more obvious in a large sample size.

Unless the Likelyhood of getting a certain type of loot is scaled by level. That is what they seem to be saying. The loot drops seem to be level dependent now allowing for greater chances of a specific type at lower levels. like a weighted system. I guess we’ll see on 9/9.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Irrelevant. GW2 is “play as you want”. The day this turns into a game where you don’t have a main and alts you have a main and the class you farm on they have crapped that ideology down the toilet.

I thought the whole point of getting rid of magic find gear was to get rid of the need to choose play style/performance over loot generation. This brings that back in a far worse way.

Even if I had all 8 classes geared up (i don’t) I prefer to play medium classes, not light classes. Playing ranger has enough stigma and annoyance attached to it without knowing I’m also lessening my earning power.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

I’m gonna post here this with agreement, I think this is a really bad idea, it just screams unfair. Having enough items has never been a problem, we don’t need this, and we don’t want some classes having better drops then others (in regards to cloth, leather and metal, as we all know leather is the least expensive).

I really hope you will listen to the community and revoke this change, just like you did for the 300g each commander tag colors, you do listen to us, so hopefully you will change this.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’m sorry, but i don’t really get it. If it’s so subtle it can’t be easily noticed by individual players, then it doesn’t really fulfill its main stated purpose. If the effects are noticeable, however, we run into problems mentioned in this thread already.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ben.2685

Ben.2685

Let me translate this for you:
It is exactly the way we think it is getting changed, that is it will affect everything including level 80s. But they cannot say it out loud, otherwise there will be an uproar with the community.

So they are going to implement it the same way we all expect it to work, except that they are just telling us it is “not what we think”, so that by the time we get enough research data on new drop rates(by comparing previous drop data with the new ones) to confirm it was exactly as we predicted, it will have been too late for players to uproar and ask for a rollback(because it will have been implemented for a while into the game by then).

Therefore, expect the expected nerf to your drops.
Note: If my post gets deleted, at least we will be able to confirm that I am right on this.

tl;dr
Drop rates are getting nerfed but we are being told they are not.

I agree completely. Sweeping contentious issues under the rug, silence, or interrupting their momentum till they blow over seems to be the modus operandi of those in charge of this game’s changes for most cases. It would be far more effective for them to acknowledge obvious discontent among a large portion of their player-base and act accordingly; or at the very least ensure changes don’t act as a hindrance to select groups. Unfortunately they seem like they’re out of touch, mostly due to the lack of communication and player involvement.

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

I think people over reacting to this change are missing an important point.
I see many comments stating the change is unfair as, for example, tissues classes MAY get overall more cloth armors which salvage products can be sold for much more.

You should first consider the reason behind the current price setup. Metal can be farmed from nodes. Tissue and leather can’t. Leather is the least used armor material while tissue is the most used, with an excess for cloth armor professions.

In the current setup, three classes need more tissue than the 5 other ones, yet they on average loot as much. THAT is unfair to them, as it means requiring them to
- farm more
- or buy from the TP expensive components while the components they do not use and can sell in exchange on the TP (leather, metal) have a lower value, resulting in a net loss.

Therefore, if the change ever has a noticable effect in game at level 80, it will benefit the current balance by allowing classes with greater need for tissue to loot more of it and it should even out the ratio “benefit of farming / cost of crafting” amongst profession.

Same goes with weapons: some are much more expensive because they are more sought after, more used… Why should the players from these profession have to pay more in order to acquire their weapon of choice ?

On the long run, I think that, if the “loot by profession” ever has a noticeable effect at lvl 80, it will drive to cheaper tissue, more expensive leather and an overall better balance between the various armor/weapon/raw material prices as supply will better match demand. Eventually, farming net income will be of equal worth again whichever profession you use, but crafting cost will even out amongst profession, for the best.

Notice: I main a ranger and play little cloth wearing professions, therefore I am on the “loosing” end of the change from the hereabove points fo view. Yet I consider it a change for the best.

(edited by Gilgalas.7860)

Posted by: Civilis.2547

Civilis.2547

There is one tweak that could be added to this change that would turn it in to a benefit for all:

Change the salvage drop table so that weapons and armor salvage into any of their major crafting components (equal chance).

Heavy armors would salvage for metal or cloth
Medium armors would salvage for leather or cloth
Light armors would salvage for cloth or leather
Bows would salvage for wood or leather
Other weapons would salvage for metal or wood

It makes little sense that so much cloth is needed for heavy and medium armor compared to the salvage return.

Under this proposal, profession drops would provide only the crafting materials needed for a class and all the crafting materials needed for that class. All classes get cloth from armor drops.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

After chewing on this for a while, I find myself still going back to my original conclusions:

1.) Communicate with us, not at us please. The reasons given for this change are not being communicated. In the case of this particular change the community wants to see how the sausage is being made.

2.) Put Flax nodes (Linen), Cotton Nodes, Silk Nodes (Worm and Spider Nests against rocks trees etc.), and other light armor crafting material nodes in the game. We can use the harvesting tools for them. Many of the light armor materials in game should come from plants. The ones that don’t can still use the harvesting tools for continuity’s sake.

3.) This blog post is precisely one of the reasons we are having communication breakdowns. What is being explained in the blog as the reason is completely different from the actual reason this is being changed.

4.) This is why letting us know certain things well before release in some sort of feedback phase of development would be an invaluable tool*. We don’t need to know everything being developed, but this one is a real head scratcher and seems to me is being put in the game solely to control prices on the BLTC.

5.) We shouldn’t have to feel beholden to play certain classes in order to get certain materials —i.e. My Guardian is my Tailor-- and I like to gather items for specific crafting professions on those characters.

6.) If you have strong data showing that this will significantly bring down the price of cloth, then explain that as the reason behind this change. Conversely, if it is to drive up the price of other materials, then say that, but I think there are better, more creative ways to do that, like nodes for cloth. That way you aren’t gimping the classes players feel like they can play.

7.) Finally, if this thread is way off base, then we are misunderstanding the blog and I would think that it’s the blog doing a poor job of communicating what it’s doing or we understand it perfectly and think it’s being implemented poorly across the board.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

seems so…

so basically the game right now has a ridiculous amount of metal and leather over cloth.. they are making it so 5 out of 8 classes will see less cloth and more leather and metal… good job!

That is pretty much the EXACT opposite of what the Dev posted…..where do you get the data for your delusions?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

Heavy armors would salvage for metal or cloth
Medium armors would salvage for leather or cloth
Light armors would salvage for cloth or leather
Bows would salvage for wood or leather
Other weapons would salvage for metal or wood

This.
It costs cloth to make it, I should be able to salvage cloth from it.

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

seems so…

so basically the game right now has a ridiculous amount of metal and leather over cloth.. they are making it so 5 out of 8 classes will see less cloth and more leather and metal… good job!

That is pretty much the EXACT opposite of what the Dev posted…..where do you get the data for your delusions?

Really? did the dev posted that 3x Med classes and 2x Heavy classes will get more cloth? or was it the other way around? I’m pretty sure he meant that.

Please, read again what the update is going to change. I think you are still lost here.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Civilis.2547

Civilis.2547

seems so…

If 1% of the armor drops are profession specific, my medium character will get 1% less cloth and metal and 2% more leather. My light armor characters will get 3% more cloth than my medium or heavy characters.

To assist in the discussion, the math:

Assumptions: random drops are evenly distributed among light/medium/heavy, characters evenly distributed among light/medium/heavy, characters get an equal number of armor drops.

3000 random armor drops gives: 1000 metal, 1000 leather, 1000 cloth. Each profession has an equal distribution of metal/leather/cloth.

With 1% of the armor drops going to profession specific loot:
3000 armor drops for a light armor character gives 990 metal, 990 leather, 1020 cloth.
3000 armor drops for a medium armor character gives 990 metal, 1020 leather, 990 cloth.
34% of the cloth goes to a light armor class. 33% of the cloth goes each to medium and heavy characters. Light armor characters get 3% more cloth than medium and heavy characters.

With 10% of the armor drops going to profession specific loot:
3000 armor drops for a light armor character gives 900 metal, 900 leather, 1200 cloth.
3000 armor drops for a medium armor character gives 900 metal, 1200 leather, 900 cloth.
40% of the cloth goes to a light armor class. 30% of the cloth goes each to medium and heavy characters. Light armor characters get 33% more cloth than medium and heavy characters.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Are we all rerolling mesmer or just going back to GW1 until this blows over?

I’m rerolling a Mesmer. He’s already level 40, so I guess I’ll just be EotM farming on him for my legendary instead of dungeon farming on my Guardian.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As one of those who have, in the past, complained about item drops not being something I would use on my characters, it feels like this change is barking up the wrong tree. I get plenty of profession appropriate drops as it is. What I don’t get in drops, and why I salvage those puppies, is stat combos that I prefer. It feels to me like ANet is fixing the wrong problem, and that for me this update will not change whether I use drops or not.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

As one of those who have, in the past, complained about item drops not being something I would use on my characters, it feels like this change is barking up the wrong tree. I get plenty of profession appropriate drops as it is. What I don’t get in drops, and why I salvage those puppies, is stat combos that I prefer. It feels to me like ANet is fixing the wrong problem, and that for me this update will not change whether I use drops or not.

If the stats you want can be crafted, then this change will effect how you use drops.

In my opinion, this thread is an example of an existing storm system with lots of charge striking at anything that dares present a target.

How to apply this change to character selection risk assessment:

Do you plan on collecting or crafting gear for the character up to and including Ascended rarity?

If yes, then this change will make the calories a player spends on gearing the character more efficient.

This change will not generate competitive profession forces until that character begins working towards Legendary rarity, NPC offerings, or non-gear resources such as gems. Imo, the professions that are the best earners towards those workloads now will also be the best earners after the update.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

seems so…

If 1% of the armor drops are profession specific, my medium character will get 1% less cloth and metal and 2% more leather. My light armor characters will get 3% more cloth than my medium or heavy characters.

To assist in the discussion, the math:

Assumptions: random drops are evenly distributed among light/medium/heavy, characters evenly distributed among light/medium/heavy, characters get an equal number of armor drops.

3000 random armor drops gives: 1000 metal, 1000 leather, 1000 cloth. Each profession has an equal distribution of metal/leather/cloth.

With 1% of the armor drops going to profession specific loot:
3000 armor drops for a light armor character gives 990 metal, 990 leather, 1020 cloth.
3000 armor drops for a medium armor character gives 990 metal, 1020 leather, 990 cloth.
34% of the cloth goes to a light armor class. 33% of the cloth goes each to medium and heavy characters. Light armor characters get 3% more cloth than medium and heavy characters.

With 10% of the armor drops going to profession specific loot:
3000 armor drops for a light armor character gives 900 metal, 900 leather, 1200 cloth.
3000 armor drops for a medium armor character gives 900 metal, 1200 leather, 900 cloth.
40% of the cloth goes to a light armor class. 30% of the cloth goes each to medium and heavy characters. Light armor characters get 33% more cloth than medium and heavy characters.

Your math is accurate but ignores time spent collecting the materials. You must apply the current farming efficiency of each profession to produce a functional character profession choice risk assessment.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

gobax.6185

Irrelevant. GW2 is “play as you want”. The day this turns into a game where you don’t have a main and alts you have a main and the class you farm on they have crapped that ideology down the toilet.

I thought the whole point of getting rid of magic find gear was to get rid of the need to choose play style/performance over loot generation. This brings that back in a far worse way.

Even if I had all 8 classes geared up (i don’t) I prefer to play medium classes, not light classes. Playing ranger has enough stigma and annoyance attached to it without knowing I’m also lessening my earning power.

This is totally accurate.

What happened to the original selling point of this game wherein everyone can play the class they want and still be rewarded equally.

With this change, it is very clear that anet is giving light armor classes the advantage of generating more profit from farming than the other 2.

Why the hell would they discriminate the other two if they want to promote their “play what you want” slogan.

Sure its barely noticeable, but an advantage is still an advantage. It will clearly affect every med and heavy classes in a bad way.

This will force people to make light armor classes to get more profit rather than play the class we want!

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

This is totally accurate.

What happened to the original selling point of this game wherein everyone can play the class they want and still be rewarded equally.

With this change, it is very clear that anet is giving light armor classes the advantage of generating more profit from farming than the other 2.

Why the hell would they discriminate the other two if they want to promote their “play what you want” slogan.

Sure its barely noticeable, but an advantage is still an advantage. It will clearly affect every med and heavy classes in a bad way.

This will force people to make light armor classes to get more profit rather than play the class we want!

Oh, but we can still play medium classes how we want. We just don’t deserve loot as good as the lights for some reason.

Posted by: Synesh.1094

Synesh.1094

Stephane Lo Presti. Thank you for the clarification.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Stephane Lo Presti. Thank you for the clarification.

OT commentary: I’ve been seeing that name all along as ‘Stephanie’. Oops. Sorry, Mr. Lo Presti! Still a cool name. Imagine Ricardo Montalban saying it.

Carry on!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

seems so…

Really? did the dev posted that 3x Med classes and 2x Heavy classes will get more cloth? or was it the other way around? I’m pretty sure he meant that.

Please, read again what the update is going to change. I think you are still lost here.

You reading between the lines and making assumptions leaning toward the negative side of this issue is NOT any kind of factual details. He said you would be getting about the same amount and you STILL insist you will be getting less (and appear to be wanting MORE?). Neither of us know what the final outcome will be, but I think I’ll wait until a try it a few days before I start a lynch mob and tell Devs how stupid their ideas are.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Seera.5916

All we know.is profession specific stuff is being raised. Maybe they dropped junk drops down some and increased chance of gear and weapon drops and then raised profession specific drops. So that out of x drops, you still get the same number of non-profession gear bit a higher number of profession gear. Because goodness know I get too much junk.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

seems so…

You reading between the lines and making assumptions leaning toward the negative side of this issue is NOT any kind of factual details. He said you would be getting about the same amount and you STILL insist you will be getting less (and appear to be wanting MORE?). Neither of us know what the final outcome will be, but I think I’ll wait until a try it a few days before I start a lynch mob and tell Devs how stupid their ideas are.

You have doubts after the traits change? or the silver-fed-o’matic? I don’t need more proofs, I know where this is leading and it is how we are afraid it will be…

They won’t simply buff your drops so you can get more of your own… each drop of your own will be replacing one of another class you might’ve get. Every time as a heavy I receive a heavy armor, there is a chance* that it would’ve been a light armor instead, thus receiving less cloth that I actually need (more than metal which I can get by just gathering). It’s not rocket science, it’s actually pretty basic. This change as it is without changing anything else it’s terrible and more concerning is that they (seems) don’t see it (I think they do know it but don’t really care).

• how big or small that chance is only changes how much or less they will hurt us, but they will hurt us anyway.

Even if they do buff our drops (which would be ridiculously inconsistent coming from ANet) it will still create unbalance between class based farming. Heavies will receive (lets say) 10% more metals while Light armored classes will receive 10% more cloth which has a direct impact on the income of that player.

Low level characters are not really benefited with this either! Any metal armor wearer will swear for days when he realize he was not getting enough precious linen and cotton while leveling… and will have the same negative impact once he reaches 80.

This change is bad from wherever you look at it!

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

gobax.6185

Even if they buff our droprate it still doesnt change the fact that light armors still gets the better drop.

What happened to play the class you want without gimping yourself out? If this happens, med and heavy armor will be having a harder time earning than light armor.

It may not be noticeable but still, light armors getting more light armors is still a clear advantage over using medium who gets more medium armor.

Regardless of how big or how small the difference is, it still doesnt change the fact that one class has a clear advantage over the other.

Lets say they buffed it by 1%

Lets say yoy get 100 armors per hour

heavy gets an additional heavy armor out of 100
Med gets an additional medium armor
Light gets an additional light armor

Light armor classes gets 1 light armor / hour more than the other two. If you farm for 8hours that is 8 light armors

And that is the best case scenario. I dont think they will just buff it by 1% because no point in calling it smart loot. Probably higher chance making it worse.

God I hope ANET is reading this thread. It is not that hard to see how this will affect pve experience in a very bad way.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

People need to stop being clueless … markets adjust to supply, demand and volume. You should all know this by playing GW2. Hint: If everyone is rolling their light classes to get cloth, guess what happens when more cloth is put to market?

gobax.6185

Hmmm let me try to explain this as simple as possible so you can understand.

Gimping med and heavy armors from farming silk scraps = lesser supply of scraps
Buffing light armor classes = additional supply of scraps

Conclusion: still the same supplied scraps only that this time, lighr armor users gets the profit and is not distributed among the 3.

More people will roll light armor classes = more demand of scraps (light armors takes the most scraps per craft in case you dont know.)

More people using light armor classes = more supply of scraps

So it seems that this will only even out again because while more people get scraps, more people also need scraps for their light armors.

Here’s the coup de grace

There are still people who do not care about efficiency of their farming and still use heavy and med armor classes and they also need scraps for their armor = additional demand.

Read and understand carefully im sure it is a very simple explanation that even you will not have a hard time understanding it.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If the stats you want can be crafted, then this change will effect how you use drops.

In my opinion, this thread is an example of an existing storm system with lots of charge striking at anything that dares present a target.

How to apply this change to character selection risk assessment:

Do you plan on collecting or crafting gear for the character up to and including Ascended rarity?

If yes, then this change will make the calories a player spends on gearing the character more efficient.

This change will not generate competitive profession forces until that character begins working towards Legendary rarity, NPC offerings, or non-gear resources such as gems. Imo, the professions that are the best earners towards those workloads now will also be the best earners after the update.

If all I’m doing is salvaging them, then it doesn’t matter whether I am crafting with those mats or selling them to buy the stuff I want. I will still not be slotting the gear I get as drops. If the change in drops is “scarcely noticeable” then the likelihood of getting the desired stat comb will improve by so little that it will be unnoticeable.

Seera.5916

Gimping med and heavy armors from farming silk scraps = lesser supply of scraps
Buffing light armor classes = additional supply of scraps

Conclusion: still the same supplied scraps only that this time, lighr armor users gets the profit and is not distributed among the 3.

More people will roll light armor classes = more demand of scraps (light armors takes the most scraps per craft in case you dont know.)

More people using light armor classes = more supply of scraps

So it seems that this will only even out again because while more people get scraps, more people also need scraps for their light armors.

Here’s the coup de grace

There are still people who do not care about efficiency of their farming and still use heavy and med armor classes and they also need scraps for their armor = additional demand.

Read and understand carefully im sure it is a very simple explanation that even you will not have a hard time understanding it.

But it’s unfair to those who do not like to play light armor classes to have to farm longer for cloth or money to buy more off of the TP, or to roll a class they do not like. Just to gear up their preferred characters.

Yes, in the very long run, prices are probably likely to drop in cloth simply because those who need it most will get more of it from drops lowering overall demand.

But for a good while, until most players have geared out the most characters they want to gear out, prices will climb. As there are more classes that aren’t light armor classes than light armor classes. And the speculators are likely to go crazy.

However, it isn’t the prices that’s causing the issue. It’s the unfairness. Of the three armor mat types (cloth, ore, wood, and leather), cloth is the most profitable. By a long shot. It’s not fair to say that light armor types should have the highest income potential.

You can mine ore and chop wood. Leather is the only other thing that’s tied to drops. But there’s no huge demand for it, which is why there isn’t an uproar about that. The amount needed for ascended recipes is no where near the absurd levels it is for silk.

If they would add a way to gather cloth, it would greatly reduce the complaints. And maybe, just maybe, that’s part of the announcement coming with the Collecting and Trading preview.

Obtena.7952

No thanks, but here is what will really happen:

Prices in market will adjust due to supply and demand. If your premise is that players will shift to light profs to farm to take advantage of high demand for cloths, they will do the same when other mats are in demand after price drops from satisfied demands. Market achieves an equilibrium; crisis averted. Nothing to see here.

gobax.6185

Prices in market will adjust due to supply and demand. If your premise is that players will shift to light profs to farm, they will do the same when other mats are in demand. Market achieves an equilibrium; crisis averted. Nothing to see here.

Are you even playing the game? Hahaha!

Lightarmors only uses scraps and minimal leather. They will never increase the demand of ores and leather.

Have you even tried crafting? Try it and you will see.

Med armors need light armor scraps and leather
Heavy armors need light armor scraps and ores
Light armors need light armor scraps and minimal leather.

Obtena.7952

Put your money where your mouth is then. You’re a really smart guy … why don’t you buy all the cloth you can before Sept 9th then sell it when demand goes up when people only farming with light armor classes?

Substance E.4852

People need to stop being clueless … markets adjust to supply, demand and volume. You should all know this by playing GW2. Hint: If everyone is rolling their light classes to get cloth, guess what happens when more cloth is put to market?

It gets absorbed by all the light classes who need it to create their armor. Silk exploded in value when we learned you need an absurd amount to create ascended light armor. Even increasing it a slight amount on ALL players would only dent the price, not crash it down to levels that would make it as “profitable” as the worthless dirt T5 and T6 leather.

Even if silk crashed down to 50c (a 75% drop from current price), it is still several times more valuable than T5 leather which often doesn’t even have a buyer listed on the TP and even T6 leather doesn’t reach half that anymore.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

gobax.6185

Put your money where your mouth is then. You’re a really smart guy … why don’t you buy all the cloth you can before Sept 9th then sell it when demand goes up when people only farming with light armor classes?

Hahaha! Troll is troll! Why buy if you can get them directly from the source? Seriously you arguing with me making me think you know something about business and blurted out this statement! I fell for you trolling sir! Kudos! You made me belive you know something xD

Buy and sell stuffs when you can get them for free! Hahahahaja classic.

Seera.5916

Hahaha! Troll is troll! Why buy if you can get them directly from the source? Seriously you arguing with me making me think you know something about business and blurted out this statement! I fell for you trolling sir! Kudos! You made me belive you know something xD

Buy and sell stuffs when you can get them for free! Hahahahaja classic.

Time. Time has a different value to different people. Some people have less time to play than others. They are more likely to buy mats than someone with all the time in the world, if you ignore all other factors.

Some people don’t like farming and trusting the RNG system to give them good drops. So they buy.

And hey, if people will buy it, why shouldn’t I profit off of what I’m not using?

gobax.6185

Yes. Buy if you really need it. But buying something and selling it to make a little profit? Not worth it if you can get your hands on it for free and sell it for a bigger profit.

Substance E.4852

Yes. Buy if you really need it. But buying something and selling it to make a little profit? Not worth it if you can get your hands on it for free and sell it for a bigger profit.

True, but if you have a massive amount of cash you can invest in silk buying tens of thousands of scraps and selling them for a small profit per unit is going to net you a lot more money a lot faster. You just need the craploads of gold to do it in the first place.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Prices in market will adjust due to supply and demand. If your premise is that players will shift to light profs to farm to take advantage of high demand for cloths, they will do the same when other mats are in demand after price drops from satisfied demands. Market achieves an equilibrium; crisis averted. Nothing to see here.

More likely, most people will not hear about this and will keep playing as they usually do. However, the moment they start playing on a medium or heavy armour class, they are already inherently losing out on loot.

Many people will know about this, but will keep playing as they do anyway because they like their class. They will also lose out on loot, but they’ll know about it and it will sour their game experience.

Some people will switch to playing light armour classes more often, in order to make more money. Some of them may be quite happy to do so, but others would really rather be playing the class they like. The game experience is also soured for those people.

But overall, there’s probably not going to be enough of a shift to people playing on light armour classes to bring the price of cloth down sufficiently to make everything even. And certainly, the price of leather isn’t going to go up, so anyone playing a medium armour class will be losing out on loot.

gobax.6185

Not only medium armor users. Medium and heavy armor users are gimping themselves if they choose to play the class they like.

There’s no compromise. It’s a straight slap in the face for heavy and medium armor users.

What are you thinking anet?! Why reduce the farming capabilities of heavy and medium armor classes and boost light armor classes?

Youre making a gap between classes here which is against your “play what you want” mission for the game.

Seera.5916

Not only medium armor users. Medium and heavy armor users are gimping themselves if they choose to play the class they like.

There’s no compromise. It’s a straight slap in the face for heavy and medium armor users.

What are you thinking anet?! Why reduce the farming capabilities of heavy and medium armor classes and boost light armor classes?

Youre making a gap between classes here which is against your “play what you want” mission for the game.

Short term: any noticeable change will cause demand to rise because 5/8 of the classes are getting fewer cloth drops and supply to fall as people buy what’s available before the price hike happens.

Long term: Enough players likely at least enjoy light armor classes to a degree enough to make sure that supply will rise to a point where it could quite possibly fall in prices compared to today. Because eventually those players won’t need cloth and will sell it. And current medium and heavy armor classes will also not have a need for cloth. ANet may also have a note to review ascended recipes in 3 months to see what the long term effect is. If prices are too high still they may adjust the recipe. Or add in other ways to get cloth. Or both. Raise supply and/or lower demand.

Short term is easy to predict for anyone.

Long term is hard to predict unless you have numbers indicating current ratio of people who play light armor classes at least fairly regularly. Numbers ANet likely has. And we don’t know what other plans ANet has in store. There may be another change that’s being worked on that will fix the problem. But they can’t talk about it because it’s not right on top of it being released…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Short term: any noticeable change will cause demand to rise because 5/8 of the classes are getting fewer cloth drops and supply to fall as people buy what’s available before the price hike happens.

Not necessarily. The number of classes isnt as important to this as is the amount of cloth. Without knowing what the drop rate adjustments are we cannot say if the supply will go down or up.

gobax.6185

Yes. We are not sure if the supply goes up or not. Because there are two ways to make this happen.

One is that they boost the drop rate of getting addional items which is useable by profession meaning heavy will get more heavy while maintaining the consistency of getting light armors.

The other one is they decrease the chances of heavy armor users getting light armors and mediums and convert it to heavy.

Either way light armor will benefit from the change because as i have said, all classes uses light armor scraps to craft their armors.

Heavy needs bolt of damask, light needs it, medium needs it too.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Long term: Enough players likely at least enjoy light armor classes to a degree enough to make sure that supply will rise to a point where it could quite possibly fall in prices compared to today. Because eventually those players won’t need cloth and will sell it. And current medium and heavy armor classes will also not have a need for cloth. ANet may also have a note to review ascended recipes in 3 months to see what the long term effect is. If prices are too high still they may adjust the recipe. Or add in other ways to get cloth. Or both. Raise supply and/or lower demand.

Yes, cloth may eventually get enough supply to fall in price compared to today. Equally, it may not. But if it does: metal is still going to be cheaper because you can farm it from nodes, and leather is still going to be cheaper because the demand for it is so much smaller. Barring another significant change from Anet, we will still have a situation where cloth price > metal price > leather price.

Since medium classes will be getting more leather than anything else, and heavy classes will be getting more metal than anything else, and light classes will be getting more cloth than anything else… there will be an earning imbalance between classes. Even if the price of silk goes down.

You say Anet may change something… sure. Maybe. We can cross that bridge when we come to it. Meantime, there will be an imbalance. In fact, there will always be an imbalance as long as the prices of leather, cloth and metal (and, of course, rare weapons) are not all exactly the same. If leather skyrockets in price after some change, then medium classes will have the advantage.

I would prefer that, for level 80’s at least, all classes be equal.

Seera.5916

Not necessarily. The number of classes isnt as important to this as is the amount of cloth. Without knowing what the drop rate adjustments are we cannot say if the supply will go down or up.

There’s enough uncertainty that there will be speculators and people trying to get as much cloth as they can afford before prices rise due to the speculators. Silk prices rose right after ascended was released. Because supply had tanked due to people knowing it was going to take silk. The speculators bought it to resell at higher prices. Those who wanted to use it used it fairly quickly given the absurd amount of silk that was needed.

Prices will likely rise to some degree in the short term due to speculators even if there is no real change overall. Speculators will buy the supply down, let the low supply to high demand raise the price naturally and then unload their supply at the higher price. Just because of the perception of less cloth for medium and heavy classes and the chance at a big pay off.

Those who hate light armor classes will also likely buy some supply to put on store for future characters they make.

How long until this stabilizes is also unknown. Or whether the new equilibirum price will be higher or lower than it is currently. Higher means change was bad, lower means change was good overall.

gobax.6185

I dont think that will happen on silk scraps. It is one of the most traded items. In 1 hour farming with my ranger, i gain around 150-200 silk scraps. So even if they bought all the silk scraps in tp, the farmers will just sell it back up again.

The main problem on this system is like what the previous poster stated.

Regardless of value.

Cloth > heavy >medium

Cloth will always cost more than the other 2 because the other 2 needs cloth as well. While light armor classes dont need the other 2 mats as much.

Given that, light armors will have more earning potential compared to heavy and med armor users will be a fact.

No matter how small the difference in value, it will always remain that light armor users have better potential in farming.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Hey, if somebody from Anet could pop by and clarify this, I’d really appreciate it. Why have an entire blog post about something that won’t be noticeable? Why implement this feature at all if it’s not going to make an impact?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?