Please No Profession Loot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gobax.6185

gobax.6185

Thry are just saying that to appease the players. Im sur we will notice the changes.

But yeah, i wonder if anet is eve reading this. Lots of valid points here and it would be really great if they reconsider backing out from this absurd idea of making 1 class get more gold compared to other 2.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I dont think that will happen on silk scraps. It is one of the most traded items. In 1 hour farming with my ranger, i gain around 150-200 silk scraps. So even if they bought all the silk scraps in tp, the farmers will just sell it back up again.

The main problem on this system is like what the previous poster stated.

Regardless of value.

Cloth > heavy >medium

Cloth will always cost more than the other 2 because the other 2 needs cloth as well. While light armor classes dont need the other 2 mats as much.

Given that, light armors will have more earning potential compared to heavy and med armor users will be a fact.

No matter how small the difference in value, it will always remain that light armor users have better potential in farming.

For your argument to be true, all classes would have to be equally proficient at farming. Very few dedicated farmers would agree with you. There would also be as many farming guides for light armor and med armor classes as there are for Guardians.

Your ‘analysis’ ignores every other farming proficiency differential between classes and assumes that a drop selection bias will be the overwhelming factor.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

As one of those who have, in the past, complained about item drops not being something I would use on my characters, it feels like this change is barking up the wrong tree. I get plenty of profession appropriate drops as it is. What I don’t get in drops, and why I salvage those puppies, is stat combos that I prefer. It feels to me like ANet is fixing the wrong problem, and that for me this update will not change whether I use drops or not.

If the stats you want can be crafted, then this change will effect how you use drops.

In my opinion, this thread is an example of an existing storm system with lots of charge striking at anything that dares present a target.

How to apply this change to character selection risk assessment:

Do you plan on collecting or crafting gear for the character up to and including Ascended rarity?

If yes, then this change will make the calories a player spends on gearing the character more efficient.

This change will not generate competitive profession forces until that character begins working towards Legendary rarity, NPC offerings, or non-gear resources such as gems. Imo, the professions that are the best earners towards those workloads now will also be the best earners after the update.

If all I’m doing is salvaging them, then it doesn’t matter whether I am crafting with those mats or selling them to buy the stuff I want. I will still not be slotting the gear I get as drops. If the change in drops is “scarcely noticeable” then the likelihood of getting the desired stat comb will improve by so little that it will be unnoticeable.

I think many players are less selective about stats as they lvl, but that is besides the point.

How would the drop schedule know what stats you want? The schedule would either have to learn what you prefer or have a vector for player input. I don’t think gear with selective stats would work because that is a functionality of Legendary gear. I am not arguing against the first two suggestions. Those features would actually be very useful and could lead to more gear being soul bound and then salvaged instead of ever being sold to NPCs.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m just really baffled by anet’s response, here. A whole blog post hyping this new “feature” and then a quick note telling us we won’t really notice anything, and then nothing. Are we going to notice more profession-specific drops or aren’t we? Because either way you spin it, there are some serious issues to address.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

gobax.6185

Yea. Why implement a change if its barely noticeable. It doesnt make sense. Im sure people will notice it. It is just a way to appease majority of the players who are upset of this unjust change.

Stop promoting your game as play the class you want because clearly youre giving light armor classes the advantage.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I dont think that will happen on silk scraps. It is one of the most traded items. In 1 hour farming with my ranger, i gain around 150-200 silk scraps. So even if they bought all the silk scraps in tp, the farmers will just sell it back up again.

Regardless of value.

Cloth > heavy >medium

Cloth will always cost more than the other 2 because the other 2 needs cloth as well. While light armor classes dont need the other 2 mats as much.

Given that, light armors will have more earning potential compared to heavy and med armor users will be a fact.

No matter how small the difference in value, it will always remain that light armor users have better potential in farming.

For your argument to be true, all classes would have to be equally proficient at farming. Very few dedicated farmers would agree with you. There would also be as many farming guides for light armor and med armor classes as there are for Guardians.

Your ‘analysis’ ignores every other farming proficiency differential between classes and assumes that a drop selection bias will be the overwhelming factor.

This is so true…farming on my mesmer is horrible, and the necro is a bit better, but not nearly as good as my guardian, or even my ranger.

gobax.6185

While its true for now that guardian is an efficient class to farm with, when the new patch hits youll be flooded with heavy armors instead of getting equal distribution of light heavy and medium which makes your gold per hour less.

Dont worry mesmer will be viable again after patch. Since it will benefit the most. (Gs + light armor most expensive items). The reason why mesmer sucks today is because of all the guardians and necros runnimg around making it hard to tag mobs.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Yea. Why implement a change if its barely noticeable. It doesnt make sense. Im sure people will notice it. It is just a way to appease majority of the players who are upset of this unjust change.

Stop promoting your game as play the class you want because clearly youre giving light armor classes the advantage.

A possible advantage for farmers. For people who aren’t farming it probably won’t even matter and they can still play whatever they want. And I say possible because we don’t even know how its going to feel when its live.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

gobax.6185

No matter how barely noticeable it is. An advantage is an advantage even if it is just 1% which i doubt it will probably be higher. At the end of the day, light armor users gets more gold than the other 2.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

And if gold is all you’re worried about then fair enough. There’s more to the game than that, though.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

gobax.6185

Ive finished and got bored on all the game’s content. The only goal i have now is to go for legendaries which im sure majority of the veteran players are now doing. So yes, gold for us is the most important thing in game right now. And gimping us to playing classes we do not like is not fun at all.

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Hi everyone,

The article about profession system only presented the idea behind this system and we generally don’t give precise details about these systems unless these details are needed to understand the idea. In this case we can’t share details but we want to reassure players that they’re not going to see changes in loot so visible that some components are going to “rain” or they’ll stop seeing loot variety. It’s more complex than that.

The adjustments to the loot system are fairly subtle and the goals are that, after a certain time, your characters will effectively have more components you can use. So it may take some time for you to see a difference, or not, but it’s not going to feel like a very visible change each time you loot a mob. We want players, in particular new ones or those creating alts, to more often be able to use the items they loot directly or get something that is relevant to their profession. It does not mean that you’ll get less varied loot overall. We’ll keep monitoring the changes to kitten its affects.

Thanks for your early feedback!

So basically this will either change the market making it harder for heavies and mediums or it will have no affect that anyone will notice or really care about. This is an item that you feature? Again…your communication-foo needs some work.

If you want to improve the loot system, try removing the unidentifiable items from the champ bag and replace it with an actual useful reward.

Also…

We’ll keep monitoring the changes to kitten its affects.

Your forum swear filter needs some work or you are saying things between the lines that I don’t think you mean too.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Regardless of value.

Cloth > heavy >medium

This is so true…farming on my mesmer is horrible, and the necro is a bit better, but not nearly as good as my guardian, or even my ranger.

Have you tried farming on a mace/shield + hammer guard? Cause the guy who really loves to play like that (and not farm in the most efficient manner) is going to get hit by this just as much as a pro farmer. Every class has some weapons and specs that make them an at least ok farmer, as well as others that make them absolutely terrible at farming. But this affects drops across the whole game, and it’s hardly fair to base droprates on each class’s ideal farming build.

gobax.6185

Hi everyone,

The article about profession system only presented the idea behind this system and we generally don’t give precise details about these systems unless these details are needed to understand the idea. In this case we can’t share details but we want to reassure players that they’re not going to see changes in loot so visible that some components are going to “rain” or they’ll stop seeing loot variety. It’s more complex than that.

The adjustments to the loot system are fairly subtle and the goals are that, after a certain time, your characters will effectively have more components you can use. So it may take some time for you to see a difference, or not, but it’s not going to feel like a very visible change each time you loot a mob. We want players, in particular new ones or those creating alts, to more often be able to use the items they loot directly or get something that is relevant to their profession. It does not mean that you’ll get less varied loot overall. We’ll keep monitoring the changes to kitten its affects.

So basically this will either change the market making it harder for heavies and mediums or it will have no affect that anyone will notice or really care about. This is an item that you feature? Again…your communication-foo needs some work.

If you want to improve the loot system, try removing the unidentifiable items from the champ bag and replace it with an actual useful reward.

Also…

We’ll keep monitoring the changes to kitten its affects.

Your forum swear filter needs some work or you are saying things between the lines that I don’t think you mean too.

Yes. I doubt it will not be noticeable though. Because if it isnt then they shouldnt even bother wasting resource on such a patch and tries hyping it up as a feature. So yea, the first scenario is most likely what will happen. Heavy and medium classes will suffer.

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

I don’t remember ever using any of the blue/green/yellow drops on any of the 12x 80s I leveled. Either the gear was not sufficiently superior to waste on soulbinding instead of selling on the TP and buying minimal cost blue/greens, or you were better off just buying blue/greens off the TP at vendor (or salvage) cost.

Despite the overabundance and uselessness of the drops, now we’re being told that as part of the great feature pack, the drop system will be modified in a way that will either be 1) noticeable yet have no real effect on drop variance, or 2) too subtle to notice yet worthy of development man-hours. Add to that the reality that is GW2 leveling (i.e. you effectively out-level your gear in an hour or two) and I really wonder why, of all things they could choose to improve, they decided that this is what GW2 truly needs to shine.

I’m glad, however, that the typical ANet doublespeak is alive and well. A while back, it was living story content that is both fun and interesting, yet unimportant enough that you could miss it and not miss a beat, and now we have this feature pack change that will provide classes with more of what they need but will be so subtle that it ultimately won’t change the distribution of materials you end up with. This is something worthy of a ninja hotfix, not some grand feature pack announcement.

gobax.6185

That’s what mainly green and blue items are for. For salvaging purposes for profit.

I understand low levels need them. But it doesnt have to affect those farming level 80s.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Well what about balancing silk that already got out of hand since months?
was even told a dev would monitor silk and act accordingly.

Yet silk costs more than gossamer.

Maybe the issue is how they took a T5 mat wothing nothing AS OTHER T5 and decided it should became the most expensive just multiplying the amount required in recipes.

If you play a guardian, a warrior or a thief you already have cheaper equipment so you can afford less drops btw.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

I’m sorry, but what you’re saying doesn’t add up. The change is supposed to make things easier for leveling characters, which means that they should be able to notice some difference.

There’s lots of sources of exotic level 80 gear with a great variety of stats. Dungeons, temples, crafting, PvP, WvW…

You need profession-targeted drops before level 80, but once you hit level 80, gearing is extremely fast and easy. And if you check the trading post, you’ll see level 80 gear has way more variety. While you would find Mighty/Strong/Berskerer gear at fixed levels but no other stats at those levels, then other stats at other levels, at level 80 you can find all stats combinations for many skins.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

[…]

I’m sorry, but what you’re saying doesn’t add up. The change is supposed to make things easier for leveling characters, which means that they should be able to notice some difference.

There’s lots of sources of exotic level 80 gear with a great variety of stats. Dungeons, temples, crafting, PvP, WvW…

You need profession-targeted drops before level 80, but once you hit level 80, gearing is extremely fast and easy. And if you check the trading post, you’ll see level 80 gear has way more variety. While you would find Mighty/Strong/Berskerer gear at fixed levels but no other stats at those levels, then other stats at other levels, at level 80 you can find all stats combinations for many skins.

Even if they do it for people below 80 it ends up in a direct impact on a players economy since low level mats are even harder to get once you are 80 (and more expensive).

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

This all looks like a symptom of a deeper problem. The game has been designed so that it is more about collecting gold and buying the thing you want than being rewarded with something directly from gameplay.

It looks like this is an attempt to rectify that, but a small step is just going to negatively impact people still playing the game as we’ve been conditioned to (sell or salvage everything, buy or craft what you want) without significantly changing the game to a model where you are given the rewards you want directly.

I would be in favor of a radical change that took the game away from the dominance of the Auction House or repeating content over and over for tokens of some sort, but it would have to be a big change or it will just make everyone frustrated in some sort of uncomfortable middle.

Gibson.4036

It occurs to me that changing the drops to be more profession specific is going to do nothing if drops aren’t also tweaked to include higher quality gear.

I’ve always geared up while leveling by simply buying new greens every five to ten levels on the auction house. They’re cheap, and there’s no reason I can see to level in white or blue gear. But green drops, especially for new players without any MF, are still rare enough that I wouldn’t be fully outfitted in greens even if every green I got was profession specific.

And will the new profession-specific drop mechanic also give me more of the commonly used stat spreads? It’s no use if my weapons and armor are profession appropriate if I’m getting handed Stout, Mending, and Enduring gear with Sigils of Mad Scientists or Ogre Slaying.

The only people I can see this profession-specific loot mechanic helping are the ones who completely ignore their gear and just equip whatever they come across that seems like an upgrade. I suppose they will find the game slightly less frustrating, but I expect they will still be under-geared for their level, wearing a mismatch of stat spreads, runes ans sigils.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Hi everyone,

I’m sorry you said you’ll kitten it’s affects will you? GASP such language!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The best way to fix a communication issue(which is totally what we have here) is to tell the truth. In one post you say that you need to change how the downed state works to make the game easier to understand for players and in this thread you contradict yourselves. Try honesty: “We are changing the way stuff drops in game because we need to adjust the market.”

The way it has been explained in this thread is insulting to our intelligence. Your actions(Item drop changes) don’t match up with your words(Change is coming! Get excited!/You won’t notice a change).

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

First of all, let me assure you I am firmly believing that players are the worst game designers generally, conforming to players´ wishes almost certainly leads to a “Homer, the car built for Homer” scenario.

That being said, a lot of Anet´s decisions totally baffle me. There are so many areas this game could be improved in, yet they come up with the weirdest stuff all the time. I never felt I needed class specific loot nor have I ever heard anyone complain about this not being implemented. Or downed state – yeah, after many months of therapy, I finally recovered from the terror and confusion this state caused in me below level 5. Design decisions straight from the Twilight Zone…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The best way to fix a communication issue(which is totally what we have here) is to tell the truth. In one post you say that you need to change how the downed state works to make the game easier to understand for players and in this thread you contradict yourselves. Try honesty: “We are changing the way stuff drops in game because we need to adjust the market.”

The way it has been explained in this thread is insulting to our intelligence. Your actions(Item drop changes) don’t match up with your words(Change is coming! Get excited!/You won’t notice a change).

This change might very well be subtle. We don’t know how widely it will impact us as yet. We’ll have to wait and see.

“But why bother telling us if its so subtle as to not be widely noticed?’

Two words – “Stealth nerf!”

Someone will notice. Someone always does, and if nothing is said we’ll have people screaming “stealth nerf” all over again.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Guhracie.3419

This change might very well be subtle. We don’t know how widely it will impact us as yet. We’ll have to wait and see.

Someone will notice. Someone always does, and if nothing is said we’ll have people screaming “stealth nerf” all over again.

If it’s so subtle it could be noticed only as a stealth nerf, there’s no call for an entire blog post on this “feature”. It could just be listed in the patch notes. Nothing stealthy about that.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

If it’s so subtle it could be noticed only as a stealth nerf, there’s no call for an entire blog post on this “feature”. It could just be listed in the patch notes. Nothing stealthy about that.

I sort of agree. It sounds really underwhelming to say we’re changing it, but you really won’t notice. I have no doubt that I won’t notice since I really don’t “need” armour or weapons for the most part (or I am certainly not going to wait for a drop), but I hope that it will be noticeable enough for newer lvl 80 characters.

Edit: That said I still like the communication and in general that something is done in regards to this!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

If you play a guardian, a warrior or a thief you already have cheaper equipment so you can afford less drops btw.

Let’s say there’s two starving people. One hasn’t eaten in six days and the other hasn’t eaten in one week. I give them both a package of poptarts each containing two poptarts. I then decide that the man who hasn’t eaten in a week deserves three poptarts, so I take one from the man who hasn’t eaten in six days and give it to the man who hasn’t eaten in seven days. Would you agree that I made the right decision in taking food from one starving man and giving it to someone else?

Zojja’s Warfists costs ~60 gold to make (according to GW2Spidy) and Zojja’s Wristguards cost ~66 gold to make. I don’t see why the 6 gold difference means that we should make the people who are trying to make Zojja’s Warfists harder.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

And I don’t necessarily disagree.

Obviously they felt otherwise, for whatever reason.

I kind of think people should overreact just a tad less until after they can experience the change first hand. If it is in fact subtle as Anet claims, then they’ll have stressed over nothing.

Guhracie.3419

I kind of think people should overreact just a tad less until after they can experience the change first hand. If it is in fact subtle as Anet claims, then they’ll have stressed over nothing.

Oh, I’m with you on that aspect, for sure. I don’t buy into the whole “this will kill all professions that aren’t light!” hysteria. I don’t know what the implementation will look or feel like. But it certainly seems dishonest to hype this feature, and then claim we won’t notice anything different. That is the disconnect I’m having, here.

-Mike O’Brien

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Oh, I’m with you on that aspect, for sure. I don’t buy into the whole “this will kill all professions that aren’t light!” hysteria. I don’t know what the implementation will look or feel like. But it certainly seems dishonest to hype this feature, and then claim we won’t notice anything different. That is the disconnect I’m having, here.

See, I didn’t consider the single paragraph in the blog post regarding this feature to be hype. It was more of an informative “this is also coming” foot note. It’s 3 sentences. That is far from hype in my book.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Lol, I don’t get the feeling there is a hysteria; but it certainly is a wrong move in the wrong direction at the wrong time and a wrong use of resources… Some people just need “more evidence” to see it though. “Wait and see” its the same as nothing, once implemented it will be set on stone but at the same time it’s not like they are going to react due feedback anyway, which renders this thread into a total waste of time.

So… we are just using the forums for what forums are for.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

More than 99.99% of players don’t systematically catalogue their loot. I don’t think that even those who do have necessarily bothered to list blues and greens on the basis of armour type. So even if it was a big change, I doubt anyone would have noticed.

The thing is, it doesn’t matter whether or not we notice it. They’ve clearly stated that you will be getting more profession drops, which means that (at present prices) light armour classes will be making more than heavy classes, who will be making more than medium classes. If you are playing an engineer, the only absolute thing you know is that you are making less money. Just because you are playing an engi.

There’s absolutely no need to have this in effect at level 80, and it creates inherent inequality between classes.

Guhracie.3419

See, I didn’t consider the single paragraph in the blog post regarding this feature to be hype. It was more of an informative “this is also coming” foot note. It’s 3 sentences. That is far from hype in my book.

It was a third of that day’s entire blog post. It had its own heading in bold type. That may not seem like hype to you, but I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I get the need to give the player useable gear, but there’s a way that doesn’t punish classes with non-valuable gear- they already did it with ascended weapon drops and pvp dungeon rewards- they just need to implement a version into the loot table.

Add to the loot table for each region a chance to drop a weapon or armor chest with a skin pertinent to that region. Have it decide the stat combo and rarity based on the loot seed, but be the player character’s current level. When the player opens the chest, they can PICK the weapon type or armor piece. IE while tooling around The Iron Marches as a level 80 one might find a yellow “Assassin’s Steam Weapon Chest” containing a steam weapon of the player’s choice in yellow rarity with assassin’s stats at level 80.

Leveling players can not just get something they “could” use, but exactly the weapon or armor piece that needs replacing, and players who don’t need anything new for that particular character can get the more valuable item to salvage or throw in the forge. Plus, this would solve the market discrepency much more efficiently then “more people would play casters”.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

(edited by Piogre.2164)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It was a third of that day’s entire blog post. It had its own heading in bold type. That may not seem like hype to you, but I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, we’ll have to. I tend to ascribe to the typical definition of “hype” which is “excessive publicity” and/or “exaggerated or extravagant claims” of which, that was neither. Sure, the publicized it, but that’s just communication.

shrug

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Heh, collecting and trading week is coming up. Maybe cloth will drop (salvaged) from any medium or heavy salvaged armour as well, since cloth is also used to craft it (teasing).

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Gibson.4036

The “It’s not a good time to complain cycle”

ArenaNet announces a change
We don’t know the details yet, wait and see.
ArenaNet releases a patch
It just got implemented, let’s wait and see how it plays out.
A few months after patch
It’s in the game, so it’s clearly here to stay. Learn to live with it.
ArenaNet has been silent for a while
Perhaps ArenaNet is working on something behind the scenes, but they can’t tell us or people will take it as a promise. Let’s wait and see.
ArenaNet announces a change….

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

Not sure how this really affects a mature community that is mostly level capped players. Unless i am reading the notes wrong, at level 80 the distribution is unchanged.

I’ve done a complete 180 now on crafting and feel it is best in most ways to just buy a set of greens every 7-8 levels until 80 and then you should have enough coin to kit out mostly exotic, if somewhat incomplete. But at that point your crafting and equipping strategy takes on a whole new form.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This all looks like a symptom of a deeper problem. The game has been designed so that it is more about collecting gold and buying the thing you want than being rewarded with something directly from gameplay.

It looks like this is an attempt to rectify that, but a small step is just going to negatively impact people still playing the game as we’ve been conditioned to (sell or salvage everything, buy or craft what you want) without significantly changing the game to a model where you are given the rewards you want directly.

Good point.

It occurs to me that changing the drops to be more profession specific is going to do nothing if drops aren’t also tweaked to include higher quality gear.

I’ve always geared up while leveling by simply buying new greens every five to ten levels on the auction house. They’re cheap, and there’s no reason I can see to level in white or blue gear. But green drops, especially for new players without any MF, are still rare enough that I wouldn’t be fully outfitted in greens even if every green I got was profession specific.

And will the new profession-specific drop mechanic also give me more of the commonly used stat spreads? It’s no use if my weapons and armor are profession appropriate if I’m getting handed Stout, Mending, and Enduring gear with Sigils of Mad Scientists or Ogre Slaying.

The only people I can see this profession-specific loot mechanic helping are the ones who completely ignore their gear and just equip whatever they come across that seems like an upgrade. I suppose they will find the game slightly less frustrating, but I expect they will still be under-geared for their level, wearing a mismatch of stat spreads, runes ans sigils.

This is what I’ve been trying to say all along, but Gibson said it better.

The promotion of this change as a “feature” seems either out-of-proportion to its actual intended effect; or solving a problem, but only for a demographic that pays little attention to such things.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

The promotion of this change as a “feature” seems either out-of-proportion to its actual intended effect; or solving a problem, but only for a demographic that pays little attention to such things.

You pay little attention to the drops you get as leveling? If you are going around as a scholar and get only adventurer armor you wouldn’t notice?

No, no, no.

If you get a bit more cloth armor while playing as a light armor profession, you won’t notice if you are a new player. But if you get a streak of drops you can’t equip you will notice.

It’s ore fun when you get an upgrade to your gear once in a while. The changes the new Diablo III team made after they got rid of Jay Wilson are proof of that. Having to rely in the trading post to get upgrades to your gear is way less fun compared to getting them as you play.

And if you ever checked a chart of how many player of each profession are there, you’ll see that overall there won’t be that much of a difference. The difference will only be noticed by someone who was using low level heavy armor character to farm linen or something like that.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: SandBearSurprise.5934

SandBearSurprise.5934

Yea. Why implement a change if its barely noticeable. It doesnt make sense. Im sure people will notice it.

RIP tool belt rocket you will be missed

Shortbow Hime/Pick Things Up/Waggle Waggle
Killshot Princess
Maybe play the game sometimes??

Posted by: Krowe.3651

Krowe.3651

This whole system shoehorns people into learning specific crafting professions. Why can’t I level up my soldier with tailoring, or scholar with armorsmithing?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

[…]

You pay little attention to the drops you get as leveling? If you are going around as a scholar and get only adventurer armor you wouldn’t notice?

No, no, no.

If you get a bit more cloth armor while playing as a light armor profession, you won’t notice if you are a new player. But if you get a streak of drops you can’t equip you will notice.

I was commenting about Gibson’s post, which you cropped, thereby losing the context so you could snipe at what I said. In context, “pays little attention to such things” is in reference to what the stats on the gear actually do, not whether one can equip a piece of gear or not.

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

They need to make it a toggle or why even bother.

Posted by: RiverSong.5067

RiverSong.5067

I doubt anyone is reading anymore at this point, but i feel op would not have an issue if they admitted 100 silk bolts, 300 silk scraps for just one ascended piece is too much.

That’s all it’s about isn’kitten

My webpage:
pages.videotron.ca/madfang4/

gobax.6185

Well what about balancing silk that already got out of hand since months?
was even told a dev would monitor silk and act accordingly.

Yet silk costs more than gossamer.

Maybe the issue is how they took a T5 mat wothing nothing AS OTHER T5 and decided it should became the most expensive just multiplying the amount required in recipes.

Well I agree with you about t4 and t5 being more expensive than t6 needs to change.

But wtf is wrong with your logic on the last part?!

Just because mediums are cheaper doesnt mean they deserve lower gold per hour. That’s insane and discriminating youre sounding like an anet staff.

Tbh, the other features sucks but I told myself meh i can deal with it.

This however pushed me to my limit.

I cant understand anet’s way of thinking. Why the hell would you discriminate other classes of your own game?! Where the hell is the balance they are talking about when hyping this game?! Is this their idea of balance? Trying to make people want to roll light armors for better profit gain?

Come.on Anet staffs! I challenge you to answer this.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

There already exists disparities in farming and it’s not discrimination, it’s a consequence of diversity. The game has not fell to ruin because of these differences and there is no reason to think this change will be any different. Long term equilibrium will be achieved. The apocalyptic fear mongering is absurd.

Hahaha! Troll is troll! Why buy if you can get them directly from the source? Seriously you arguing with me making me think you know something about business and blurted out this statement! I fell for you trolling sir! Kudos! You made me belive you know something xD

Buy and sell stuffs when you can get them for free! Hahahahaja classic.

Shows how little you understand even your own ranting … if so many light armor classes are going to exist that it will unbalance the market for cloth like you claim, it’s an excellent opportunity to make some coin. Even if there is a bias for cloth loot drops for lights, cloth is not going to fall like rain on them. They will still need it to craft gear they need. If so many exist because of this bias like you claim, demand should be ridiculous. You should really be speculating the hell out of this based on your conviction on how bad this would be for the game.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

gobax.6185

The amount of people who needs to read carefully. -.-

it will barely affect the amount of cloth because other classes will have reduced cloth drops so its only a matter of shifting the gold income from all three classes to light armor class.

And if people choose to farm using light armor clases it will again barely affect the supply and demand because

A. Light armor users needs the most scraps
B. People who wants gold will make them.

Increase in demand and increase in supply will not affect the prices.

Simple economics my friend.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The market is not simple. It does not behave in a predicable manner you claim. What you say about no effect on prices will only be true if the increase of supply is equal to the increase in demand. That’s an exceptional situation and really not likely based on what we already know and experience as drop rates of salvageable gear in the game and what volume of materials already exist. Your assumptions and analysis are amateur and unsound.

(edited by Obtena.7952)