Please Reconsider Structure of Dailies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mystale.1327

Mystale.1327

I have played the game now for three years, and there are so many things I love about it. But lately, when I come in to the game I feel tense because I want to earn achievement points but if I am to do that then I have to play the game the way ArenaNet wants me to and not the way I want to.

I have limited time in the game because I work full time and have a lot of other responsibilities, so I don’t want to have to choose between clearing Cursed Shore with one of my characters or working on mastery points (which I would choose to do) and piddling around running from WP to WP in Metrica/Caledon, etc. trying to get events before everything surrounding them is scorched to the ground (which I have to do if I want the achievement points).

ArenaNet, why can’t I play the game that I love the way I love to play it and still get achievement points? Please bring back the old structure of the dailies that could be completed in a reasonable amount of time in the course of normal game play, and let me choose what I would like to do with the remainder of my in-game time.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have played the game now for three years, and there are so many things I love about it. But lately, when I come in to the game I feel tense because I want to earn achievement points but if I am to do that then I have to play the game the way ArenaNet wants me to and not the way I want to.

I have limited time in the game because I work full time and have a lot of other responsibilities, so I don’t want to have to choose between clearing Cursed Shore with one of my characters or working on mastery points (which I would choose to do) and piddling around running from WP to WP in Metrica/Caledon, etc. trying to get events before everything surrounding them is scorched to the ground (which I have to do if I want the achievement points).

ArenaNet, why can’t I play the game that I love the way I love to play it and still get achievement points? Please bring back the old structure of the dailies that could be completed in a reasonable amount of time in the course of normal game play, and let me choose what I would like to do with the remainder of my in-game time.

In theory, achievement points are awarded for, well, achieving things. Certainly, some of the achievements are less-than-challenging and some are just busy-work. However, they all share at least one characteristic: they take a little time to finish.

Conveniently, ANet has offered us a simple way to earn an extra 10 points/day through the optional daily system. You can still earn AP the usual ways.

If you think dailies are taking you too long to complete, then look for ways to speed things up. Presumably you agree that there are typically two “simple” options in PvE: gathering, vistas, activities, and mystic forge. So that leaves just one daily.

Here are some options you might not have considered:

• WvW: about 2-3 days a month, you can get your daily by spending 25 badges of honor; if you’ve been playing for 3 years, you’ll have plenty to spare. (I recommend buying one Badge of Tribute for 30 BoH and selling it on the TP. That you can do from any decent-sized guild hall, without entering WvW at all.)
  • WvW: if you play any WvW, there are two simple PvE-like achievements that are often available: cap a sentry point or killing a single dolyak. If you are as afeared of WvW as I was the first time, ask for someone to show you.
  • PvP: ok, scarier than WvW for newbies. However, there are custom arenas people have setup just to do dailies. Two dailies are always about being on the winning side with a specific profession and you can trade a win with a friend, about 15 minutes total time. Alternatively, you can trade 3 kills with a PUG opponent on some days and best of all, once you get a few PvP potions, there are days when quaffing just two of them will count (you don’t even need to enter PvP).

If none of those appeal, then another option is getting more efficient at completing 4 events. Here are some ideas on how to do that:

• Event chains: every zone has event chains of 2-4 events in a row. Learn the spots & park a toon, then work on inventory or whatever while you wait for the initial event to start. World Bosses, for example, often involve 3-4 pre-events.
  • Rapidly-respawning events: similarly, every zone has spots in which a single event or linked events restart pretty rapidly. Learn those and park a toon appropriately. For example, Thaumanova Reactor in Metrica has 4 events where a Veteran beast must be defeated (plus, there are a bunch of sources of events nearby to the reactor room).
  • Jumping Puzzles count as an event! You can cycle four characters through (or just combine with the other methods).

In short, you can, already, get your three dailies done more quickly, leaving more time for masteries.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

I agree.

The whole draw of this game for me was that I could “just play the game” anywhere in its world at any time and have something to do. The original dailies (I bought the game in Dec 2012) were great, because there were lots of them and as a result, many could be achieved by just doing the things you’d normally do, whatever those things happened to be.

The current daily system on the other hand, presents players with an ultimatum: Do THESE THINGS or forfeit your rewards for the day, “just because”. Forget that this is a game and that you’re supposed to enjoy your time playing – if you want something as simple as the daily rewards you MUST do THESE THINGS, whether you hate those things or not.

Personally, I really like the open world aspect of the game. I really have no interest in PvP, dungeons, the entirety of HoT, “legendary” gear skins, etc. I haven’t even finished the personal story or living world season 2 (and I missed most of season 1), but that doesn’t mean I haven’t spent A LOT of time playing the game. I’ve spent, here and there over the course of 3 years, hundreds of hours exploring the world on various characters, collecting stuff, working on crafting, button mashing some world bosses, and getting a personal guild bank (back when that was possible). I LIKE these things about Guild Wars 2 and these things were much better back in 2012.

As far as the open world goes, can we please take some steps back to what the game was back in 2012? That’s the whole reason I bought the game. I would have been happy to buy HoT if added more zones Gendarran Fields or Sparkfly Fen and some other “stuff” such as fishing or mounts or personal housing with decorations. Those are the kinds of things, a long with dailies, that I actually like and that I tend to spend my money on. But perhaps middle aged men who used to subscribe to other MMOs for more than a decade (aka: people don’t mind consistently spending a bit of money each month on games) aren’t your target audience. Who knows…

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I only have these problems with dailies:

• Dungeons: At least every week there should be one daily for one specific dungeon path.
  • Fractals: There should be numbered dailies for 51-75 and 76-100 dailies. Even if they shared a slot, or doing them disabled a 1-20 and a 21-50.
  • Gathering: Instead just a type and a region, they should require what basic materials are to be gathered, and change dynamically based on daily player and trading metrics. For example, if T5 wood starts getting relatively more expensive and has less stock compared with other materials, that’ll be the material required by the daily. It would not matter where you go get elder wood as long as you get elder wood.
  • PvP: Profession dailies need… No, must be changed to a dynamically generated ones, different for different accounts. Unlike most other dailies that need to be the same to ensure people gather in the same content, PvP profession dailies only increase the chances of professions stacking. Because of this, they need to develop a system that generates different dailies per accounts for things like these that should not be the same for all. In the case of PvP professions, the achievements should be for just 1 profession each:
    • 1 picked randomly between the 4 most played professions.
    • 1 picked randomly between the 4 least played professions.
      And that would be but a mere step among many to ease profession stacking. There’s more left to do.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Mystale.1327

In theory, achievement points are awarded for, well, achieving things. Certainly, some of the achievements are less-than-challenging and some are just busy-work. However, they all share at least one characteristic: they take a little time to finish.

Conveniently, ANet has offered us a simple way to earn an extra 10 points/day through the optional daily system. You can still earn AP the usual ways.

If you think dailies are taking you too long to complete, then look for ways to speed things up. Presumably you agree that there are typically two “simple” options in PvE: gathering, vistas, activities, and mystic forge. So that leaves just one daily.

Thanks for the suggestions, however, they all still involve playing ANet’s way and not mine. I am no stranger to AP – I have nearly 11,000 points – and I have no problem with earning it, but I liked the way it used to be earned.

And yes, I know it is optional – but again: my point is why should I forego AP just because I have 13 level 80 characters and do NOT feel like hanging around in, for example, Metrica, to get events. Yes, I know about chain events. Yes, I even know where they are. My point is I do not want to be there doing those events, period. I also do not want to be held to a schedule to do the bosses because – again – my playing time is limited. Not only that, but the chat that goes on while waiting for those events, and during those events, and regarding what other people are or aren’t doing right in those events – let’s just say I’m not part of that age demographic that finds it amusing. And yes, I know I can block my chat. But why should I have to??

This game was supposed to have been founded to adhere to certain principles – and I believe this issue of forcing players into a rigid structure in order to earn AP violates those founding principles.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Thanks for the suggestions, however, they all still involve playing ANet’s way and not mine. I am no stranger to AP – I have nearly 11,000 points – and I have no problem with earning it, but I liked the way it used to be earned.

And yes, I know it is optional – but again: my point is why should I forego AP just because I have 13 level 80 characters and do NOT feel like hanging around in, for example, Metrica, to get events. Yes, I know about chain events. Yes, I even know where they are. My point is I do not want to be there doing those events, period. I also do not want to be held to a schedule to do the bosses because – again – my playing time is limited. Not only that, but the chat that goes on while waiting for those events, and during those events, and regarding what other people are or aren’t doing right in those events – let’s just say I’m not part of that age demographic that finds it amusing. And yes, I know I can block my chat. But why should I have to??

This game was supposed to have been founded to adhere to certain principles – and I believe this issue of forcing players into a rigid structure in order to earn AP violates those founding principles.

You know dailies give a max amount of AP right? And once you hit that amount you won’t get any more. So if you don’t like the days dailies, don’t do them. It’s 10 AP.

Everything you have said is “I don’t want to, but I want it” Well, if you want it that bad, do it, and if you don’t, then do something else.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Purposely ignoring the dailies is not something I can comfortably do. I like achievements. Some people like to make lots of gold or beat raid bosses; I hang out for the numbers. I am aware that eventually I will get the max amount available and maybe that will be liberating, but in the meantime, I sigh as once again I have to troop over to a low level area to vie with the newbie players in getting a shot in at an event. Too bad if you are on a slow connection because blink and the event is over.

I am grateful to Anet that we have a good choice of dailies and I do realise it could be a lot worse, however, as the OP has said, the daily events can be a pain if you are short on time or your schedule does not align with a the major event for that day.

I miss doing the dodge rolling or killing the ambient creatures. Those were good times.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Daily Shiverpeaks Vista Viewer – less than a minute.
Daily PvP Player Kills – less than a minute in a rankfarm.
Daily Maguuma Wastes Miner/Daily WvW Caravan Disruptor – 3 minutes max.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The structure of daily chores has taught me that I hate the new WvW maps less than I hate running around with the herd to do daily events in 1-15 or 15-25 zones or having to wait up to ~3 hours for a meta boss.

I suppose it doesn’t help that I generally log on to do them shortly after reset, so I run into big crowds. This makes the events nothing more than a competition to tag, where to compete one must spam AoE with no targets so that when the targets appear there’s a chance to get “credit.” However, changing my preferred play time to accommodate the game seems more like the tail wagging the dog.

I’m of the opinion that dailies would have been better with the old iteration’s 8 rotating tasks that were PvE oriented (i.e., kills, events anywhere, etc.) with the new iteration’s WvW and PvP tasks added, still with 3 needed to complete and the all-or-nothing AP award.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I haven’t done the low level events in a year or two. Too annoying now. Mostly I do the fast and easy dailies. I suggest you look into the PvP custom arena daily places that are set up for PvE players. It’s easy to get one or 2 dailies there and if you don’t care about advancing a reward track you can leave. They usually have something like 3 kills or capture a place. Since they’re cooperative it’s easy to get them. After that, whatever harvest or vista is on the list.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

dailies are coincidental bonuses that surprise me when something i want to do also happens to be a daily. otherwise i wouldn’t agree with why i’m playing!

Mystale.1327

You know dailies give a max amount of AP right? And once you hit that amount you won’t get any more. So if you don’t like the days dailies, don’t do them. It’s 10 AP.

Everything you have said is “I don’t want to, but I want it” Well, if you want it that bad, do it, and if you don’t, then do something else.

Yes, I’m aware of the max amount of AP, thanks. And thanks for your so helpful comments. You appear to be unaware of the point though, unfortunately, which makes your post um…yeah…pointless.

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

The one change I’d like for dailies is to change the events to an entire region instead of a specific map, much like the gathering dailies (Kryta region events instead of Queensdale, for example).

I do tend to agree that the old dailies offered a lot more flexibility than the current ones do. They’re probably faster to complete now (and changing it to one achievement bonus per day instead of every daily event having points was a huuuge plus) but they are certainly more inconvenient unless you get lucky and happen to be playing in the map for that day’s daily.

Ever since they separated the daily/monthly rewards from the daily quests I’ve only done them when it’s convenient enough for what I’m currently doing. I might go out of my way for 1 of the 3, but certainly not all of them unless I’m desperate for AP or really bored.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Unless I have to wait for a world-boss to spawn, I can usually knock out most dailies in 15 minutes or so… I really don’t see the big deal here.