Please Remove/Change Agony Resistance

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

I read all the changes to fractals of the mist, and while I shy away from this content, I might give it a try once again, you see, there were two things that were bugging me, one was the random nature of the fractals, 3 months ago I wanted to do fractal for some fractal relics, and not once did I got the blindside fractal, I kept getting the hammer one (which I kinda loathe since it’s too freaking long, about the same length as a normal explorable path). But now (hopefully) this will no longer be the case.

The other of course being Agony Resistance. Agony Resistance at the moment the only purpose it serves is to be a blatant gear check, this game is supposed to be about utilizing set skills, and your own player experience, to overcome obstacles, in their original manifesto, Anet said there would be no gear threadmills (grinding for new sets is not gear threadmills, since you aren’t getting more power post-ascended gear). The Agony Resistance hurts players who have more than one main character (I have one of each profession at level 80), and while ascended can indeed be traded between characters of the same account, it’s just a hassle.

So, what is my solution? It’s very simple, make existing Agony Resistance give bonus Magic Find, that way, the infusions don’t have to be reworked much, or removed entirely.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

kitten rves as a wall to keep inexperienced players out of higher scale groups. Most people who run higher scales want it to stay that way.

The only way to get AR is to run fractals. You learn the fractals when you run them. This system ensures that players learn the fractals before they can play in higher scales.

Also, there’s no actual gear check. Some higher scale fractal runners just use exotic armor and have all their AR from trinkets because once you have infused trinkets you can get 70 AR without ascended armor. This allows you to have multiple exotic armor sets on a character for different builds.

Stop asking for shortcuts. Play at your reward level and increase it that way. You will end up getting your AR that way. You don’t even get the rewards from the scale you’re playing at unless your reward level matches so it’s pointless to play higher scales when your reward level is lower.

Nemitri.8172

kitten rves as a wall to keep inexperienced players out of higher scale groups. Most people who run higher scales want it to stay that way.

The only way to get AR is to run fractals. You learn the fractals when you run them. This system ensures that players learn the fractals before they can play in higher scales.

Also, there’s no actual gear check. Some higher scale fractal runners just use exotic armor and have all their AR from trinkets because once you have infused trinkets you can get 70 AR without ascended armor. This allows you to have multiple exotic armor sets on a character for different builds.

Stop asking for shortcuts. Play at your reward level and increase it that way. You will end up getting your AR that way. You don’t even get the rewards from the scale you’re playing at unless your reward level matches so it’s pointless to play higher scales when your reward level is lower.

I’m not asking for a shortcut, way to misrepresent what I’m saying.
“play at your reward level and increase it that way” sounds like a grind and a gear check to me!

Also there’s the issue that it creates a barrier entry for guilds that want to do high level fractals, and they can’t because they don’t have enough AR, so it harms you as well, since there are less people running high level fractals, the more you (potentially) have to wait around for people properly geared up….sounds familiar? does it sound like gear checks in other mmos?

(edited by Nemitri.8172)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

That’s what fractals are meant to be though. It’s a self contained grind. It doesn’t help you anywhere else in the game. A gear treadmill would imply you must acquire the gear to access all future content.

The only reason to play higher levels of fractals is for the aforementioned grind. You can still experience fractals at level 1-9 and those don’t have any need for agony resist, with level 10-19 requiring a trivial amount that is easily earned just by playing the lower levels.

I have never been in anything higher than 15, since I don’t care about the grind.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

You wanna do hardcore stuff to get hardcore rewards?

Be hardcore.

Fractal progression and accessibility is most likely getting easier anyways so this is not even remotely an issue.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I agree. Sometimes, I just want to play with my other characters. But only one character has all the agony resistance because ascended is expensive. If Exotics can be used with agony resist, then I would be okay with what they are doing.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

I agree. Sometimes, I just want to play with my other characters. But only one character has all the agony resistance because ascended is expensive. If Exotics can be used with agony resist, then I would be okay with what they are doing.

since ascended are account bound. Just move the trinkets/armors around. Lot of people do that

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

since ascended are account bound. Just move the trinkets/armors around. Lot of people do that

My Ranger can’t wear ascended heavy armor. My Charr warrior can’t wear ascended human cultural t3 armor.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I’m not asking for a shortcut, way to misrepresent what I’m saying.
“play at your reward level and increase it that way” sounds like a grind and a gear check to me!

Also there’s the issue that it creates a barrier entry for guilds that want to do high level fractals, and they can’t because they don’t have enough AR, so it harms you as well, since there are less people running high level fractals, the more you (potentially) have to wait around for people properly geared up….sounds familiar? does it sound like gear checks in other mmos?

The difference between this and grinding is you can’t get the AR by grinding other parts of the game. When somebody has the AR you know they played a lot of fractal runs and therefore they are experienced at fractals.

Those of us who play high fractal scales want people who are just as experienced as we are in our groups. We don’t want people who have barely run any fractals before.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

My Ranger can’t wear ascended heavy armor. My Charr warrior can’t wear ascended human cultural t3 armor.

Re-skin your heavy armor to a non-cultural set, and then your charr can wear it. Also, if you have infusions in your trinkets, those are easy to move around.

As for the rest of the topic at hand: I don’t think it’d be right to get rid of AR. As was said above, it’s there to prove that you’ve actually played the content and you’ve learned your classes well enough to play through high level fractals. Or at least that’s the hope, anyway. It’s the only thing in the game that requires a proper gear set-up, so I don’t think it’s a major issue. And I say this as someone who rarely (if ever) does fractals and hasn’t even bothered to get more than 10 AR.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Move the trinkets around then. They aren’t armor weight or race dependent. Should be able to tide you until you get a drop or make more sets.

And your decision to skin cultural skins onto the armor is what causes you to not be able to share between Heavy class characters with different races. That’s not ANet’s fault. You chose to do that knowing it would prevent you from being able to share it with characters that aren’t that race.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Except you can do higher level fractals. They are just tougher without the AR. Its just the min maxers that want X amount of it.

Further – as has been said, if you really want to run all your characters through fractals (i dunno why) that is why there are infusions. Put the AR in the jewelry.

That said, the system IS CLUNKY. And needs a bit of an overhaul. Not even sure how exactly… its just meh. Maybe just make it like magic find (account bound) and have it either 1. completing a fractal scale bumps your account’s resistance up or 2. its like luck, you buy and consume the AR and level it up that way. *

Both ways can keep the AR that drops/is sellable on TP as you can still get extras that way on rings and infusions and stats and what not.

Posted by: cthaeh.2168

cthaeh.2168

Last i checked level 2 players with no AR can run fractals, so the “gear grind” you speak of does not exist.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Except you can do higher level fractals. They are just tougher without the AR. Its just the min maxers that want X amount of it.

Further – as has been said, if you really want to run all your characters through fractals (i dunno why) that is why there are infusions. Put the AR in the jewelry.

That said, the system IS CLUNKY. And needs a bit of an overhaul. Not even sure how exactly… its just meh. Maybe just make it like magic find (account bound) and have it either 1. completing a fractal scale bumps your account’s resistance up or 2. its like luck, you buy and consume the AR and level it up that way. *

Both ways can keep the AR that drops/is sellable on TP as you can still get extras that way on rings and infusions and stats and what not.

Good luck doing a level 50 without the proper AR. “Oh, I’m dead again… because I literally cannot survive the random AR checks that happen multiple times a minute.”

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I read all the changes to fractals of the mist, and while I shy away from this content, I might give it a try once again, you see, there were two things that were bugging me, one was the random nature of the fractals, 3 months ago I wanted to do fractal for some fractal relics, and not once did I got the blindside fractal, I kept getting the hammer one (which I kinda loathe since it’s too freaking long, about the same length as a normal explorable path). But now (hopefully) this will no longer be the case.

The other of course being Agony Resistance. Agony Resistance at the moment the only purpose it serves is to be a blatant gear check, this game is supposed to be about utilizing set skills, and your own player experience, to overcome obstacles, in their original manifesto, Anet said there would be no gear threadmills (grinding for new sets is not gear threadmills, since you aren’t getting more power post-ascended gear). The Agony Resistance hurts players who have more than one main character (I have one of each profession at level 80), and while ascended can indeed be traded between characters of the same account, it’s just a hassle.

So, what is my solution? It’s very simple, make existing Agony Resistance give bonus Magic Find, that way, the infusions don’t have to be reworked much, or removed entirely.

you can farm SW for about half a day total then buy some nice AR from the TP. I have a set of rings for 3 out of 7 of my toons with 15 AR per ring total. On top of that, they’re ascended and thus account bound, so when I wanan run a different build and need different stats on another profession I just hand whatever rings / trinkets I like to that particular toon. Unless you screw up or dont know how to do that eitehr, then you should come out with about extra 20 AR from such a session.

Fractals 1-20 are extremely easy anyways and require very little AR. Pass 20 agony starts to hurt if you dont have AR.

If you are in a guild group, there is also a very easy way to compensate, run a tanky / support / healy build so you can make up a bit for your low AR, let the high AR guys play high DPS, this will let you run fractals 20-30, but dont pug on it as it may get you kicked out of groups, your guild will not do that and the run will be smoother anyways as you will be on voice comms.

Personally I often run mid range fractals on 60-70 AR in pugs cause its such a cake walk at this stage.

Now if your guild as a whole is unwilling to put in some basic effort in group comps etc., then sorry, but you guys do not deserve to get into high fractals.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Nemitri.8172

AR account bound would solve one of the issues, this is a good suggestion!

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

AR account bound would solve one of the issues, this is a good suggestion!

It already is account bound. It comes on ascended gear, not exotic, which is acount bound, I switch around items on my toons, depending on what I want to play quite often.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

Please dont listen to this, the game already kittening hands you everything so easily.

Stella Truth Seeker

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Fractal levels, and AR is so much easier to raise now then it was on release. Remember not being able to bring someone with a lower scale into a higher fractal? Or how rare rings/globs were?

A quick check for moving gear:
Ring + 10 AR
Ring + 10 AR
Back + 10 AR
Neck + 5 AR
Earring + 5 AR
Earring + 5 AR

That’s 45 AR from jewelry alone. Put 2 +5s in your weapons… 55AR You’re good to go all the way up to 49… I see little to no problem with cultural skins and armor weights for at least this much AR.

Posted by: Nomad.4301

Nomad.4301

One of the biggest problems I have with AR being tied into gear is that it limits using different sets of gear in fractals.

Normally everyone just puts their (sometimes 150g+) infusions in their main PvE zerker gear that they use for everything from WvW to farming Silverwastes but in doing so that sort of locks them into that main set, which currently works because Zerker (and its slight variations) are the most optimal gear for nearly all game modes.

In HoT Anet said they wanted to try and experiment not only with different instabilities but also with the stats on the mobs themselves (think an entire fractal of mordrem husks) things that sound like they want to promote the use of more varied stat combos and the use of things like conditions.

The problem with this is that in order to change your stats you either need to craft a whole new set of ascended gear/accessories AND fill it with all new AR infusions OR throw your current stuff into the forge and change its stats, which is expensive and still causes you to lose all infusions and runes.

Short of allowing ascended to stat swap like legendaries (which will never happen) I think it would be cool if weapon/armor infusions could be freely removed from gear and placed into new gear without using a salvage kit or a stupidly overpriced extractor, this would allow you to have multiple sets of infusions for different game modes. (talking primarily for gear here, I know the pure AR infusions can only be put on ‘infused’ items.)

For example this would allow you to use a set of WvW infusions on your gear and then swap them out for a set of +5 X +5 AR infusions for doing fractals while also allowing you to swap them to different gear/alts without losing your “AR Progression”. Many people I met said they avoid fractals because they don’t wish to commit slots to AR when they could be used for stats useful in other game-modes.

Just something I thought might be a cool QoL thing, wouldn’t hurt the people selling the +7/8/9 etc infusions as much either since they would still require an “infused” item.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I also find Agony a bit of a barrier to Fractals.

I can rationalize it on a gameplay level all day long, but there’s something about it that just seems so…..(sigh)…

If I describe it out loud; it never ends up sounding like a feature – it just sounds like a treadmill made transparent. Like it’s some embittered reaction to ‘the whole game is endgame’ not quite panning out in practice, playing out as a mean-spirited parody of what other games do.

It doesn’t make me excited to play them, it just makes me feel like a fool.

I never realized how much value there was in tying a ribbon on the skinner box, until Fractals came along.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

AR is very very easy to get. you just have to know what to do and how to get it. i’m now sitting on 100AR.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Nemitri.8172

Wow look at you guys talking, I hear the word “deserve” as in I have to meet some arbitrary AR number in order to enjoy content! Needing exotics/ascended should be the only requirement to enjoy the game, AR adds nothing new to the game but just a bland number you must overcome in order to participate in some content, you are all failing to recognize this. It’s the same pointless grind other games use to limit people from raids, something Anet are not supposed to be promoting.

If you have more AR it doesn’t give you extra HP, or armor, or damage or endurance, it literally IS a blatant gear check!

Miku.6297

If you have more AR it doesn’t give you extra HP, or armor, or damage or endurance, it literally IS a blatant gear check!

If it’s a blatant gear check, it gives you something… So you can’t really say it gives you nothing.

It’s not hard to get 40+ AR so you would be good to mid 30s, 55 isn’t far from that push by any means and you would be set up to 49.

Besides it’s not like most players are missing out on alot at higher scale fotm. I will admit some of the mistlocks are pretty cool/fun to play with, but other then that, it’s still the same game, still the same gameplay, still the same fractals, and unfortunately still the same RNG rewards:/

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Fractals is going to be dumbed down so much anyway. Whether AR stays or not, won’t matter.

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

I also find Agony a bit of a barrier to Fractals.

I can rationalize it on a gameplay level all day long, but there’s something about it that just seems so…..(sigh)…

If I describe it out loud; it never ends up sounding like a feature – it just sounds like a treadmill made transparent. Like it’s some embittered reaction to ‘the whole game is endgame’ not quite panning out in practice, playing out as a mean-spirited parody of what other games do.

It doesn’t make me excited to play them, it just makes me feel like a fool.

I never realized how much value there was in tying a ribbon on the skinner box, until Fractals came along.

Agreed. I also find it difficult to explain why I dislike AR but this is the closest I’ve seen to crystalizing my thoughts/attitude on the subject. Its as if ANet said "hey little hamsters jump on this wheel and run really really fast. If you run fast enough you run on a slightly bigger wheel wont that be great! Then if your run fast enough on that wheel you can get a slightly bigger when to run slightly faster on . . . " AR is one of the most transparent gear checks/gear grinds I’ve seen in either GW game.

Personally I think it is foolish to get on the hamster wheel in the first place when you ask yourself “What’s the point?” or “What do I get again for putting up with this crap?” and can’t think of a good enough answer to convince yourself. In the case of fractals greed can’t justify jumping on the hamster wheel since (from what I’ve read on the forums is reasonably accurate), fractals are generally unrewarding in comparison to many other in-game activities. Maybe the upcoming changes will change the “math” enough for me to care to give them another try but I wont hold my breath.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

I have had no problem with AR but I could care less if it goes. If it does though any infused gear i have and infusions should be changed to extra stat increases. At least I can be stronger than I already am.

Säïnt

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I’m not overall fussed about the AR requirements of Fractals, since you can get to +70 with just the versatile infusions in all ascended gear.
I do like the idea of being able to double click the +1’s to account bind the AR as an account bonus like magic/gold find. But then you’d have to sort out those who combined their +1s retroactively.

Kitten.

Posted by: Drogoning.1285

Drogoning.1285

Haha.. I have 6 characters with 70 ar so no. I had to spend the time to get that and i feel pretty accomplished about it, give the time and effort and you can also feel the same insted of having stuff given to you.

Not only that i dont want the really bad ppl like “ima rifle warrior” or hey ima power ranger with shortbow , or a guardian who doesnt use a single reflect because “i play how i want” in my group and they literally are doing nothing helpful to the party. I want experiecned fractal runners who know what their role is in the group and whos goal is to do the fractal quickly and smoothly. I DONT want people joining in to be carried the whole way through which without agony in place would occur way more.

(edited by Drogoning.1285)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The only reason to play higher levels of fractals is for the aforementioned grind.

There’s also that “little” matter of fractals 30+ having the best drop chances of ascended weapon and armor boxes in the game. And fractal skins, of course, but those are rare enough that i feel sorry for people that’d want a specific one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The only reason to play higher levels of fractals is for the aforementioned grind.

There’s also that “little” matter of fractals 30+ having the best drop chances of ascended weapon and armor boxes in the game. And fractal skins, of course, but those are rare enough that i feel sorry for people that’d want a specific one.

That is changing as well

Once you’ve completed fractal scale 50, the golem BUY-2046 in the Mistlock Observatory will sell you a fractal weapon crate for pristine fractal relics, which will grant you a fractal weapon skin of your choice.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

AR is fine as it is. You are not missing out on any content by not have agony resist. Stick to FoTM1-9, you will be able to do the exact same encounters as everyone else. No grind necessary. You can do it in Rare gear if you want to, I know I have.

For those of us that want additional challenge and don’t mind working, or heck even grinding, towards it, there are harder levels that require AR.

There’s no way you can say you are forced to grind for Ascended gear to get AR to complete content, when you can do that content already with terrible gear. You sound like you have already done the content, and now want to do the same content but on the harder difficulty, but simply refuse to work towards getting the appropriate gear for the harder levels (which are the exact same mini-dungeons mind you).

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

AR is fine as it is. You are not missing out on any content by not have agony resist. Stick to FoTM1-9, you will be able to do the exact same encounters as everyone else. No grind necessary. You can do it in Rare gear if you want to, I know I have.

For those of us that want additional challenge and don’t mind working, or heck even grinding, towards it, there are harder levels that require AR.

There’s no way you can say you are forced to grind for Ascended gear to get AR to complete content, when you can do that content already with terrible gear. You sound like you have already done the content, and now want to do the same content but on the harder difficulty, but simply refuse to work towards getting the appropriate gear for the harder levels (which are the exact same mini-dungeons mind you).

If it is 1-9 you don’t even need a full party to do which means with a full party some of the party members can do it completely naked while under 80 if they want to.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

If a player can’t be bothered to actually run the content to get the AR, they do have another option…. they can simply buy it.

Fine infusions can be forged to get the 70AR (assuming they could even be bothered to go full ascended), and fractals can be bought to raise their personal level .

That being said, it’ll be painfully obvious to any experienced group when a member doesn’t have the corresponding experience on how to run the islands. At worst they’ll be kicked, abandoned, or at best, mercifully carried for the run. Most groups running at the higher tiers expect some level of competency, and not have to explain basic tactics or encounters.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I have more than one character with AR 75 and routinely do level 50 fractals. That said, i do think that having AR tied to armor is an unnecessarily clunky system. Swapping armor pieces between characters with different armor weights and racial skins is unbelievably cumbersome and punitive.

Changing AR over to some sort of account bound system the way magic find was seems like a good solution. You still keep the inexperienced PUGs out of high level content without punishing experienced players who want to make a lot of alts.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Ascended items can be crafted outside of fractals anyways. There would be no reason to do fractals just to get ascended items when say, you could have spent that time doing dungeons and getting enough gold anyways.

And yea, it’s true that fractal skins are naturally only coming from fractals, but that’s a given.

Basically, grinding all this fractal stuff is really just for the sake of doing it. Taking it away defeats the purpose of it.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

Good luck doing a level 50 without the proper AR. “Oh, I’m dead again… because I literally cannot survive the random AR checks that happen multiple times a minute.”

(At times agony ticks unavoidably for several seconds in every fractal after Scale 9… better yet enjoy #40 Mistlock with no AR!) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistlock_Instability:_Agonizing_Expedition

Loss of health PER TICK
@ 0 AR
Scale 50 – 84%
Scale 40 – 64%
Scale 30- 48%
Scale 20- 30%
Scale 10- 12%

This is a link to the complete scale.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony

To the OP:

These days I have much of my AR on one trinket which I swap between characters.

The door to Fractals is wide open. You need no AR to start out and learn the mechanics. Anyone who enjoys fractals enough to keep doing them despite the fact that they are more challenging and generally take more time than dungeons and (unless RNG-sus smiles upon you) yield less reward, will get the AR they require to continue moving upward in scale.

Since the launch of fractals, they have made the ability to acquire AR and share between characters considerably easier. Take it from someone who had 2 characters with max AR, to scale 50, and 1 close before the re-roll.

All that said, I certainly wouldn’t be sad if they made agony resistance an account-bound mechanic like magic find, acquired like personal reward level or acquired through drops or even from salvaging ascended rings… as long as they did 3 things:

1. Gave advance warning.

2. Took into account the AR equipped.

3. Made the +1 AR drops either add to it.. (By virtue of #2 alone I would be more than set, but I’m sure other people would appreciate #3.)

Mightybird.6034

I know of plenty of people who have 10-20 AR in 30s or 40s and get carried by their/our guild group :P Mostly you just have to 4 man the boss fractal. Its not so bad up to it.

Mightybird.6034

It already is account bound. It comes on ascended gear, not exotic, which is acount bound, I switch around items on my toons, depending on what I want to play quite often.

Mind if we change MF to work this way?

Of course you would because it would be incredibly annoying……………………….

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Mind if we change MF to work this way?

Of course you would because it would be incredibly annoying……………………….

Not really, infact im still annoyed at the change to MF.

I hate that the gear and trinkets that i had were pretty much negated due to the ignorant minority on the forums and it looks like the same crowd is in this thread.

If you want to do higher level fractals, put in some work get some AR and do it.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Is it really that big a deal if ONE higher end game mode requires what the OP seems to insist is “gear check”? Exactly how does this fact harm any player at all?

You can do Fractals up to 10 without any special AR gear and get the minimal rewards that most players need from Fractals….I fail to see how this “gear check” causes any major in-game issues.

This seems to be less of an actual issue and more of a, “but Anet told me NO gear checks…..LIARS!!!”, issue.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Mutilate.2796

Mutilate.2796

AR acts like a barrier between high level fractals and complete noobs….. it shows at least which player is not ready for the content, so when you wipe you know whos the problem.. You dont wanna end up in the same fractal 50 party with a guy who just hit 80 with 700 AP do you?

Miku.6297

AR acts like a barrier between high level fractals and complete noobs….. it shows at least which player is not ready for the content, so when you wipe you know whos the problem.. You dont wanna end up in the same fractal 50 party with a guy who just hit 80 with 700 AP do you?

The AR barrier has literally nothing to with AP. A player could hit 80 with 700 AP, and earn 80+ AR. I wouldn’t mind someone with low AP in a 50 Fotm, I wouldn’t want someone below the AR check though.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

The only think that bug me about AR is that is make higher level so much easier than it use to. Back when fractal just had started, AR was for noobs or players that wanted a easy lowe level run. In level 30+ you just couldn’t have enough AR to survive any hits from an Agony attack. Each arrow from the Shaman could kill you (now down, dead right away).

That was the only hard content in the game. Each mistake had the potential to wipe your group. It could be frustrating, especially in pugs and it was bug never intented by Anet, but it was so freaking hard and so much more fun to play.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The only think that bug me about AR is that is make higher level so much easier than it use to. Back when fractal just had started, AR was for noobs or players that wanted a easy lowe level run. In level 30+ you just couldn’t have enough AR to survive any hits from an Agony attack. Each arrow from the Shaman could kill you (now down, dead right away).

That was the only hard content in the game. Each mistake had the potential to wipe your group. It could be frustrating, especially in pugs and it was bug never intented by Anet, but it was so freaking hard and so much more fun to play.

Nothing’s stopping you from running this way with your own groups. Or just running solo.

As far as AR/OP’s complaints go, there’s no reason to remove it. FoTM was designed and released blatantly for those who want the more traditional/grindy MMO dungeon experience.

The only thing I have issue with regarding AR is the rate at which the infusion materials drop/the fact these are entirely dependent on RNG. At scale 35 now I’ve never gotten enough materials to infuse a single item; a friend of mine got six shards in one run recently.

Grinding FoTM for ascended armor drops is kind of silly. The drop rate is the “highest”, but it’s not much of a significant improvement over PvE. With regular play in WvW (which is NOT optimized for gold/loot at all) on a T6 server (so it’s even worse), I manage enough silk for about two pieces per month. Dedicating any reasonable amount of time to PvE/dungeons or the TP would get me likely a full set each month.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The difference between this and grinding is you can’t get the AR by grinding other parts of the game. When somebody has the AR you know they played a lot of fractal runs and therefore they are experienced at fractals.

You can certainly get AR by grinding other parts of the game since agony infusions are on the TP.

In any case, gating by gear is the lowest, laziest kind of development.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

You can certainly get AR by grinding other parts of the game since agony infusions are on the TP.

In any case, gating by gear is the lowest, laziest kind of development.

You need infused gear to be able to use those though.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

That’s prettymuch on target, Arrow.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way.

Posted by: SicilianDragon.3071

SicilianDragon.3071

LOL, a new player has a winge because he cant unlock end game dungeons instantly.

AR shows you have played the game and fractals sufficiently to be able to handle the much harder difficulties. Fractal 50s for example, a veteran can solo kill anybody on your team.

If you havent played fractals etc enough to have the required gear and experienced, wait, not btch about it on forums

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Nothing’s stopping you from running this way with your own groups. Or just running solo.

You can’t complete any final boss or a level 50 because agony can’t be mitigate without AR. You use to be able to mitigate it by dodging the attack, now you can just absorb it with AR.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD