Alert: In-Game Mail Scams

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

As you may have noticed, we added a message to the in-game mails a while back that lets you know that a particular mail is coming from another player and not from ArenaNet.

Please heed that message.

Don’t be taken in by:

• Warnings about your account being restricted, suspended, or closed. These phony messages ask you to click a link to “remove restrictions” or “validate your account” or some other nonsense that are simply sent to get access to your account by your providing the credentials.
    • We very seldom send in-game messages warning of account suspensions or closures, and you should never click a link in such a message.
  • Fake “award notifications” that claim that ArenaNet is giving away gems or other goods and that, again, ask you to click a link to claim yours.
    • If we’re going to give you something, we don’t need your password.
  • Other messages the lead to a third-party site that asks for your game credentials.

If we’re going to give you something, we don’t need your password. If your account is in jeopardy, you won’t be able to “validate” it through a link to some shady third-party site.

If in doubt about any in-game mail, report it using the in-game system or contact Support by clicking “Support” at the top of this page and submitting a request to check on what you were sent.

Best: delete such mails immediately and put the would-be account thieves out of business.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Thanks for the heads-up! Very important information :-)
edit: I keep reporting scammers, bots, gold sellers more or less everyday if I see or bump into one..
Today it was a Dungeon "legit" runner that did scam a whole party for AC path...... Once we all had sent him the gold, he kicked us all from the party and went offline..
Sure it was only 2g but you dont do like that anyway!!! So pathetic wurms!!

(reason why I am buying dungeons runs is because for faster exp for my alts)

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

(edited by Alga.6498)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

You can report him. Anet will do something about people who scam others. You won’t get your money back, but report anyways.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This thread should probably be stickied. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Appreciate the note. Thanks.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

It’s difficult to imagine people actually fall for scams like what’s described here. Obviously Gaile is posting this for a reason but… it’s just mind boggling tbh. Like, idk.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Gaile, something related to mail that can be a bit misleading – not sure if you folks want to look into this…

But if someone gifts a person an item through the gem store, the gifter’s name appears with the ArenaNet logo. I think the mail system is seeing the sender as the gemstore (ArenaNet), while personalizing the gift with the giver’s name.

Just something that caught me off guard once.

Thank you and hope you’re having a great holiday

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

You can report him. Anet will do something about people who scam others. You won’t get your money back, but report anyways.

I have reported him, and so has the other partymembers who were kicked aswell. I doubt Anet will actually look into this..
2g is not that much for me, still I hate scammers no matter what.
I just want him to get his punishment and if he keeps doing this to others.. it will be horrible!

It’s difficult to imagine people actually fall for scams like what’s described here. Obviously Gaile is posting this for a reason but… it’s just mind boggling tbh. Like, idk.

People nowdays are trying everything to scam others.
And sadly people who may not know, atleast for this In-game mails from Anet, that they’ve added a little red icon that symbolize for Anet employee mail.
Great thing that they’ve added that little icon + with red text nowdays, lesser scams I hope.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Why is this not a sticky?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Oh man, and here I was about to send an email out to every player about the need to have your legendary “polished” before it becomes account bound…and how I was going to offer that polishing service for a nominal fee. Just send me your legendary, and I will polish it pronto and send it right back.

Darn. Thanks for warning them, Gaile. Yeesh

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

What Anet should do is send an in game mail warning about this. Not everyone reads the forums.

The Burninator

Posted by: Pyr O Desolation.5017

Pyr O Desolation.5017

I noticed you took down my post about this and put up your own, interesting…

It’s not always about winning, sometimes its about losing without feeling used.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I noticed you took down my post about this and put up your own, interesting…

Ouch lol, thunder gets stolen during Christmas Holidays edition.

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

bumping to keep accounts safe from scum

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

received this in-game email , add the sender into my friend list!

beg punishment for this guy please , and protect hundreds of thousands of players! ty

You need to report him. And I think its against the rules to have a pic with his name.

You can report here in the forums at the top of the page: Services / Support / Submit a Request (at very top of page). Or report in-game.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

JustTrogdor.7892

The Burninator

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

Yup, happened to my husband too. He’s not really the gamer in the house, I am, so when he called me in to look at it, I knew immediately. So, I showed him how to report it and then he and I both reported the person who send it.

What bothers me is, to new players who do not know this, they would take it seriously and for what could happen after that? Pathetic.

Attachments:

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

ever heard of the nigerian prince?

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Good link.. and I just noticed the stop-sign with the ! in it beside Reply. LOL at myself.

X T D.6458

for those that dont know always check on the bottom, where it says this mail was sent by another player. Anet does not ask for your login info. Always report and block. And never ever go on those websites, even if curious, they are designed to steal login and personal info, as well as installing harmful software on your computer in order to steal your info. Stay safe.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Best: delete such mails immediately and put the would-be account thieves out of business.

Wouldn’t the “best” be to report then delete immediately? So that the accounts get sent to you guys and you can take appropriate actions against said account?

Or are you saying that you’re tracking all in-game mail and figure out when such mails are sent and by whom even without us reporting?

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

for those that dont know always check on the bottom, where it says this mail was sent by another player. Anet does not ask for your login info. Always report and block. And never ever go on those websites, even if curious, they are designed to steal login and personal info, as well as installing harmful software on your computer in order to steal your info. Stay safe.

Words to live by above. Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Gaile, is there a reason why you guys can’t just prevent people from writing “Arenanet” in the subject line of in game mail? It seems like that would at least force scammers to write something else, which would in turn stop some slightly more unsuspecting people from accidentally believing the mail to be true.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

I’ll read this post in a minute. First I have to take care of this amazing offer I just got in the mail of a full set of legendaries for the low, low price of 10 gold! What a bargain!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gaile, is there a reason why you guys can’t just prevent people from writing “Arenanet” in the subject line of in game mail? It seems like that would at least force scammers to write something else, which would in turn stop some slightly more unsuspecting people from accidentally believing the mail to be true.

That is a valid suggestion, but I made one on the use of another company-related word, and was told it wasn’t possible to filter it. I’ll check into this, but think about someone who says, “ArenaNet just added [something to the game]” or “Write ArenaNet about your fps question” or any other of other things. I’m not sure filtering is the answer (I’ll inquired) but really the message at the bottom is everyone’s signal and should be reviewed with care.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

JustTrogdor.7892

Given the amount of posts here and people in the account forum asking about the in game mail I still think it would be a decent idea to send an official in game mail from ANet warning about this new scam. After all not everyone reads the forums. Include a reminder about the message that is displayed when a mail is not from Anet because it seems a lot of people have over looked that. Also you could attach some boosters or something as a Wintersday gift.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Gentle Is Insane.6594

Gentle Is Insane.6594

Or possibly…

If an email has the word “ArenaNet” in the header and it contains text that is in the format of an internet address, have it sent to an agent for examination?

Gentle Is Insane

X T D.6458

Most phising sites that copy regularly used websites will use letters to fool people into putting in there login info. They will use letters that resemble the word as close as possible for example Areranet, Aremanet, most people will spot the difference, but these scum look for that one person to make the mistake. Have to understand these scams are not designed to catch everyone, when you go fishing you dont go out to get every fish in the lake, just that one or two that goes for the bait.

X T D.6458

To further protect yourself, always make sure your computer has the most up to date and comprehensive protections. Anti malware/spyware/virus/phising protections. Firewall.

Jaymee.1560

One thing that always popped out to be by any mail that ArenaNet actually sends its player is… the Arena Logo is also in the letterhead. Nice big red lego right there, always tells me the email is official. It’s actually very hard to miss.

It may sound rude or whatever but… I don’t know, to me… when I have read such unbelievable forum posts on various topics regarding people woes about this game, to me, part of me feels that if you do not see the way ArenaNet properly dispenses mail in this game for which one cannot tell the difference between official mail and false player mail, then… to me you’re obviously not paying attention.

To me, the signs are as clear as day, and once I pointed those signs out to my husband, he dawned on him: “Hey, you’re right, it doesn’t have that red logo on it…”

(Beside the point, for those of you noticing and then wondering why, I haven’t decided which character to put the banker golem on yet, that’s why I never took it out.)

Attachments:

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Filters like this end up creating more work for the company and end up doing little. Say they prevent you from typing “Arenanet” in the subject line. Then:

• Scammers start writing “arenanet” and “arena-net” in the subject line.
  • Players who were trying to let friends know that “arenanet is having a sale” get upset that they can’t type out a legit email.

So, the company updates the filter.

• Scammers now write, “arena•net” and “arena.net.”
  • More players start getting annoyed and posting on the forums about how the company needs to lighten up on restrictions that hurt their game, too.

The problem is that filters don’t address the root cause, which is that there is easy money to be made from folks who don’t pay attention to the details in posts, emails, etc.

I’m all in favor of using technology to make our lives easier, but in this case, the problem is social, not technical — it cannot be resolved by software alone.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

One thing that always popped out to be by any mail that ArenaNet actually sends its player is… the Arena Logo is also in the letterhead. Nice big red lego right there, always tells me the email is official. It’s actually very hard to miss.

It may sound rude or whatever but… I don’t know, to me… when I have read such unbelievable forum posts on various topics regarding people woes about this game, to me, part of me feels that if you do not see the way ArenaNet properly dispenses mail in this game for which one cannot tell the difference between official mail and false player mail, then… to me you’re obviously not paying attention.

To me, the signs are as clear as day, and once I pointed those signs out to my husband, he dawned on him: “Hey, you’re right, it doesn’t have that red logo on it…”

(Beside the point, for those of you noticing and then wondering why, I haven’t decided which character to put the banker golem on yet, that’s why I never took it out.)

Thank you for making that point clear, as well.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Jaymee.1560

Not a problem, Gaile. I’m actually surprised that no one else has pointed it out.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I want to warn everybody not to fall for these lousy cheap tries to these new pathetic Phishing Scammers.

They try now a new form of scamming/phishing and use clearly hacked accounts to send people in the game Mails in which they tell people in various different languages, that their accounts will be shut down within 72 hours because of “currency transactions”, which is ridiculous in itself.

If you also see in your Mails such poor tries to scam you or to phish for your Data by leading you to follow their braindead Hyperlinks.

The best thing about these pathetic scammers is, they play themself up as “Wannabe GM’s” when the Ingame Mails clearly show you, when a Mail is seriously from a person from Anet Staff by letting you see the Arena Net Symbol in the Ingame Mail, while also not seeing the orange warning below the Ingame Mail, which explicitly tells everybody with an attention sign, if an Ingame Mail has been seen by another player.

So once again, if you should see such antisocial garbage in your Ingame Mails.

1) STAY CALM, DON’T OVERREACT
2) Look for the ANet Symbol and the Orange Warning Text, is there no Symbol ,but Warning Text…
3) then …REPORT THAT SCAMMER IMMEDIATELY by clicking on the icon right next to the answer button
4) DON’T ANSWER THEM BACK
5) Delete the Mail

Here’s an example of how the Scam Text in those Mails looks like in English (as like as in really poor German)

“We are sorry to inform you that your login account (insert Forum accountname.9999) will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove the restrictions, please click the following link to validate: (insert Scammer Hyperlink here)
Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavious must be upheld

(Insert GM FAKE NAME)"

And here the poor German Version, where you instantly know, that if this would be in any way a serious Mail, that it would consist at least of proper German written by a person who can speak and write this language in a way, that it makes sense and is understandable where you just think , those scammers just used google translator to translate the English Text in a 1:1 pattern to German.

“Leider müssen wir Ihnen mitteilen das Ihre Login Konto (Account Name.9999) wird abschalten oder teilweise innerhalb von 72 Stunden wegen Währungstransaktionen oder abnormale Login begrenzt. Wenn Sie Beschränkungen auflösen möchten, klicken Sie bitte auf den folgenden Link um zu überprüfen:
(Fake Hyperlink)
Bitte beachten Sie das Guild Wars 2 ein globales Spiel mit Hunderten von Tausenden Spielern ist. Das bedeutet, Verhaltensnormen sind zu folgen.

(DIFFERENT FAKE GM NAME)
——

Please be all aware, that these kinds of Mails are 100% no real E-Mails from anyone of ANet, nor any GM of them
People like this just hack other peoples accounts, just to play with their stolen accounts then the Fake GM-Game to scam other peopel and to phish for their data by scaring them that their Accounts get deleted, shut down ,terminated, whatever to bring people to hasty overreactions in hope, that people do actually really follow those ridiculous hyperlinks that these people describe as “to click on”, when you can’t even click anything in Ingame Messages as Internet Hyperlinks just don’t work in the game!!!

I reported those 2 phishing scammers, but to ensure, that those 2 persons who got their accounts hacked there for sure, will get them back, please someone from ANet Staff, like Gaile or someone else please contact me and I will send you PM’s with uploaded screenshots from those two Messages where you can see the fake GM Names
Pictures are ready and just need to be uploaded for you on request or tell me a different way on wherre I should sent them for further investigations ect.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

JustTrogdor.7892

The Burninator

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Thanks for that Link as additional help.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Parsid.5860

Parsid.5860

Just what I was looking for. Logged in today and got one of these, text largely as stated above in Oprheal’s post. The “From” line indicated it from “Zorin Seeker” the body of the text indicated it was from a “GM Zoein Seeker”. The notifier clearly showed it was sent from another player, not an official ANet body. Reported for scamming and deleted.

Posted by: Latency.3907

Latency.3907

I just got this phish attempt today. I think it may be a good idea to make it even more apparently the message is not from ANET by putting something right next to the sender’s name so it is super apparent.

I can still see 5 people out of 100 falling for this.

JustTrogdor.7892

I seriously wish Anet would send a real in game mail to everyone warning of this. I see about a half dozen or so threads a day about this problem. An in game mail to all players would help quell this problem.

The Burninator

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

I just got this phish attempt today. I think it may be a good idea to make it even more apparently the message is not from ANET by putting something right next to the sender’s name so it is super apparent.

I can still see 5 people out of 100 falling for this.

You mean like this?

!https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/176799/gw218.jpg!

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

What about making the mail showing up a different background, like devs names shows up here in forums? It doesn’t need to be a big thing, just a gradient or something like here would make it outstanding from any other mail and it would be easily noted. That warning on bottom and icons are a nice thing, but I can see how it can be easily missed too. A background can’t be avoided so easily.

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Received this one today. Good thing ANeT uses the official symbol. Looks nice and official sounding.

Attachments:

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

You mean like this?

!https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/176799/gw218.jpg!

That does not always work, at least not immediately.

As an ironic case in point, I’ll cite my own experience with this one – been involved with the internet for well over 20 years now (thanks to college), and been a Unix Admin for almost that long too. But my heart still skipped a beat and freaked out a little when I got one of these (censored) emails this morning. :p

Thankfully, the first thing that caught my eye was the yellow text at the bottom, so I eventually deleted it and continued on. It was pretty well done actually (in English at least), and if it weren’t for the horribly mangled URL I probably would have been contacting ArenaNet directly to find out what in Grenth’s name was going on…

@Gaille – again, thanks for the heads-up, and the changes ArenaNet been making in this respect. But I think this highlights a opportunity to expand on the NPE. The old help did some highlighting of the in-game mail system – not always in the best ways, but at least it was covered. We seem to have lost that now. Would it be possible to add a new clickable on one of the early levels, to highlight mail again at least? A summary of your information here could (hopefully) get pushed out more to early players.

I’d also suggest a reminder of some sort – in game, not just here. The frequency for that type of notice is always tricky, but if you’ve got the ‘last login’ info for our accounts, it should not take much work to tailor things for individuals. Use your triggering system involved with logins perhaps? I dunno, but going the extra step could go a long way.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: emullins.7369

emullins.7369

This morning I attained some in-game mail about my account being locked and “shut down.” It’s obviously an attempt to compromise an account but you and both know, some inexperienced user out there will use a link to “protect their account.”

If you get any sort of message like this in-game, remember:

1) Check the notice at the bottom. If it doesn’t have the Arena.net logo and it doesn’t say it’s from Arena.net themselves, it’s fake. Report and delete.

2) Arena.net will never warn you of a ToS breach. If you’re account meets the requirements of a ban, you’ll encounter an error trying to log in. No warning or in-game message attached.

3) Arena.net will never ask you for any kind of account information, such as a password. They don’t need it. If anyone every asks for such information in-game or by email, report it, in game and to Guild Wars 2 Support.

Protect. Your. Account.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/66122673-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Security

Sacred Was Eldaron

Attachments:

Sacred Was Eldaron
emullins.7369

(edited by emullins.7369)

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

You received in-game mail about this? I just usually get fake emails.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: emullins.7369

emullins.7369

I’d call this a recent trend. 12 others in my guild received the same message.

Sacred Was Eldaron
emullins.7369

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Strange thing is I get fake phishing emails about this on my email accounts that have never even been attach to my guild wars 2 account.

Also next time you might want to black out the fake link. They don’t like to have them advertised even if you are trying to warn others.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

Yea I got it the other day too, the exact same one. So it’s a good thing Anet put their logo on all their mails recently, if not I would have probably believed for it to be real.

Now what if they figure out how to put the logo on there… that will be a scary situation.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yea I got it the other day too, the exact same one. So it’s a good thing Anet put their logo on all their mails recently, if not I would have probably believed for it to be real.

Now what if they figure out how to put the logo on there… that will be a scary situation.

Even if they did figure out a way to put the logo on there (highly unlikely), you can still safely delete any such e-mails or messages you get. As someone else mentioned above, if ANet wanted to suspend your account due to suspicious activity, they’d do it immediately. They wouldn’t “warn you” beforehand, because that would just tip off the gold sellers/hackers that they were onto them.

Basically, the only time you should be concerned is if you try to log on and find that your account is locked.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Just a word to say thanks to the devs for putting the notification about mail being from a player down the bottom. I got one of those letters and was thinking “Is this a scam?”, then I got to the bottom and realised that it definitely was. I like to think that I wouldn’t have fallen for it, but the line at the bottom made sure. The red symbol as confirmation is fine, but if you never receive official mail you don’t know to look for it.