Please adjust KB effect for Ranger class

in Ranger

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

I’m not sure if this has been brought up before and if has sorry.

I’ve been doing the world event chain for months now and have noticed that some folks playing the Ranger class have been using KB as a form of trolling, by knocking back content out of the reach of other players purposely. This is doing nothing but kittening people off and causing animosity.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but could we get a range adjustment on KB applied so it’s not knocking stuff back out of the range of other classes ranged capability? I really don’t see a point in KBing mobs more than 900.

Thanks

(edited by Vanive.3804)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Are you sure it’s malice and not just ignorance?

Seems like there is a certain class of ranger that needs to be told things several times for it to sink in. Yeah, if you ask people not to, there will always be some wise guy who does it more, just to be a kitten, but many people will listen. You’d be surprised how many people in a pug Zerg are actually really new to the game and don’t know this stuff.

(I have two rangers BTW, and I know not every ranger is a skill clicking bear bow, but it does seem common).

in Ranger

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Point Blank Shot knocks a maximum of 600 increments. What profession are you playing that 600 increments is beyond your range? If mobs are being knocked more than 900, it’s likely that several knock skills, maybe not just from Rangers, are being used.

PB Shot’s KB is important for solo play and PvP due to the abysmal damage reduction on LB1 based on proximity. This should not be removed because people are pressing buttons when off CD just because they can. Education is the solution for this issue, not a nerf.

Now, if Anet were willing to turn PB Shot into an Interrupt instead of a knock, and remove the counter-intuitive damage reduction based on range, I’d be fine with that change. I just don’t see that happening.

in Ranger

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’ve been doing the world event chain for months now and have noticed that some folks playing the Ranger class have been using KB as a form of trolling, by knocking back content out of the reach of other players purposely.

Most likely it’s not a purposeful trolling, but either just “using all the available skills when off cd” approach, or knocking back enemies because they use longbow and feel better/safet attacking from distance (also, LB close range penalty).
The same problem appears with Mesmers (gs skill 5) and Necros (fear in many forms). Mentioning in say that scattering enemies away from melee players is not that good idea usually works, so you might try that.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Ranger

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

The very reason why an opponent ranger doesn’t survive me – knockback – I’m really going after rangers because I hate knockback that much.
Just had a discussion with a friend who mains ranger and well, if a ranger storms into a camp I’m just soloing and knocks back the mob I’m just finishing we both miss out on 16k damage I would’ve been able to dish out without knockback.
So, no idea how to change it, I would like that it has got some effect on the ranger as well so they don’t use it thoughtlessly.

in Ranger

Vanive.3804

The very reason why an opponent ranger doesn’t survive me – knockback – I’m really going after rangers because I hate knockback that much.
Just had a discussion with a friend who mains ranger and well, if a ranger storms into a camp I’m just soloing and knocks back the mob I’m just finishing we both miss out on 16k damage I would’ve been able to dish out without knockback.
So, no idea how to change it, I would like that it has got some effect on the ranger as well so they don’t use it thoughtlessly.

Something needs changed. They use it to push mobs out, you end up with no loot. Really annoying.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Something needs changed. They use it to push mobs out, you end up with no loot. Really annoying.

There’s also many times I’ve died because someone used knockback.
But oh well, rangers in wvw pay a price for that. If someone uses knockback in a camp or anything I just run away and leave them alone – I really can’t ;)
The interesting thing is that I figured out that knockback was rather bad when I was maining a ranger, but somehow few do.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I’ve been doing the world event chain for months now and have noticed that some folks playing the Ranger class have been using KB as a form of trolling, by knocking back content out of the reach of other players purposely.

Most likely it’s not a purposeful trolling, but either just “using all the available skills when off cd” approach, or knocking back enemies because they use longbow and feel better/safet attacking from distance (also, LB close range penalty).
The same problem appears with Mesmers (gs skill 5) and Necros (fear in many forms). Mentioning in say that scattering enemies away from melee players is not that good idea usually works, so you might try that.

I’d have to agree with this post. Last week I was in a breach, the champ thrasher, standing beside a ranger who was just hitting every skill he/she had that was off cd. I mean every one, even the LB#3.

in Ranger

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

2 things about this.

1. It has been going on since launch.
2. Some of the rangers really do not understand/comprehend what a set back it is for any melee or AoE ring laying skills this effect causes.

The skill actually does a fair amount of damage, so many may do it for their personal gratification and not just trolling. I use it on world bosses that can’t be moved for the extra damage.

I don’t think there will be any way to resolve your trolling issue without effecting those who aren’t trolling.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Ranger

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’d have to agree with this post. Last week I was in a breach, the champ thrasher, standing beside a ranger who was just hitting every skill he/she had that was off cd. I mean every one, even the LB#3.

Being clueless is not a fault solely associated with Ranger players. That said, the ones that use PB Shot, then move forward into melee range to continue using their Long Bow…

in Ranger

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

My elegant solution that will (should*exception:those using to troll) involves a redesign of the skill that would a) make more sense thematically, b)be a rather cool animation, c) improve the skill’s value/function while maintaining balance, and d) solve issues with spamming/abuse…

Point Blank Shot <1/2 second cast> <20 second cooldown>

Fire a quick shot toward the ground knocking your foe back and
sending you into an evasive roll backward. The closer to you, the
more powerful the impact/effect.

Effect at less than 300 range: 150 knockback, 500 roll backward. Dmg: 502
Effect between 300-600 range: 100 knockback, 400 roll backward. Dmg: 446
Effect between 600-900 range: 50 knockback, 300 roll backward. Dmg: 391

Evade: 1/2 second
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile
Range: 900

*changed the damage to be the opposite of Long Range Shot’s function made sense

• added an evade frame to improve effectiveness when under melee+ranged pressure
    *added a bit to the cooldown to balance the skill, keep it in line with utility skill cooldowns of other weapons, and promote more active/responsible use
    *slightly altered the gap created at melee and max ranges to better fit the skill’s function
    *made the whole world happy and got high-fives on the forums for my brilliance
    *slightly exaggerated my last point to welcome ideas/suggestions/number tweaks

in Ranger

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I play all classes, both in PvE and in WvW and although at times knockback bugs me it is not really worth QQ’ing about. As far as Rangers and Mesmers are concerned LB1 on Rangers and GS1 on Mesmers both deal more damage the greater the range you are from the target so just like every other class wants to maximize their DPS with their weapon of choice so do Rangers and Mesmers.

Oh as far as taking a camp with my Ranger? I do not need help so if you decide to run it is no loss to me!

Theftwind (HoD)

in Ranger

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

This skill does not need to be adjusted for the sake of your loot… Pull out a ranged weapon or use a leap skill.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

~Snip~

If you knew anything about mobs, then you would know that Champions are immune to KB, so it doesn’t hurt at all to use LB#3 on those bosses during the breach, all it does is give an extra damage shot, a very low damage shot but it allows your other skills to recharge.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

~Snip~

If you knew anything about mobs, then you would know that Champions are immune to KB, so it doesn’t hurt at all to use LB#3 on those bosses during the breach, all it does is give an extra damage shot, a very low damage shot but it allows your other skills to recharge.

Hate to tell ya sport, LB#3 is the shot that makes the ranger go stealth. Point blank shot is number 4. And yes, I am aware of the neat little icon on the champs that says immune to knockback and such..I can read and your snarky attitude isn’t welcome.

Have a nice day/night

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Oh as far as taking a camp with my Ranger? I do not need help so if you decide to run it is no loss to me! :D

Never said it was a loss to them, they might still wonder why I’m leaving the camp I was soloing. And I would prefer if they would go to different camps and solo them.

Edit: Usual if would problem – I’ll try to figure out what the correct english expression would be and then change it – might take a while though ;)
Edit²: I hope the problem is solved.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Ranger

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Hate to tell ya sport, LB#3 is the shot that makes the ranger go stealth.

It also puts a small buff on the pet, as I recall. Maybe that’s why they’re using it?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

It also puts a small buff on the pet, as I recall. Maybe that’s why they’re using it?

Good one!

in Ranger

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Good one!

I’m not joking, actually.

Just checked, it gives the pet Swiftness, useful when so many pets seem to have a hard time with moving targets. (Not that they hit them any better, they just catch up to them for the next swing a bit faster.) It’s also a physical projectile finisher, no “20% chance” stuff, it’s a constant finisher.

So, yes, there are reasons to fire it even when you don’t want stealth.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Good one!

I’m not joking, actually.

Just checked, it gives the pet Swiftness, useful when so many pets seem to have a hard time with moving targets. (Not that they hit them any better, they just catch up to them for the next swing a bit faster.) It’s also a physical projectile finisher, no “20% chance” stuff, it’s a constant finisher.

So, yes, there are reasons to fire it even when you don’t want stealth.

No, not in a situation in which the boss is already immobilized by a zerg (the pet doesn’t need to run after him as it’s already at the spot) and that was what we were talking about, I guess. It was the explanation that rangers often use every skill they don’t have on cooldown and don’t want to troll others by using knockback.
That is true in a lot of cases but the one thing a lot of them don’t get is that their maxed “damage output after knockback” is still just a tiny burst compared to what the group would’ve made without the boss being knocked out of their reach*. I had endless discussions about this.

ETA: .* By using knockback rangers (and mesmers, warriors, necros) basically not only interrupt the opponent but all their allies – and that’s no fun.
ETA²: The long distance the foe is knocked back makes it even worse with rangers though.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Rangers make it a point to use their knockback as soon as the boss is out of stacks of whatever it is that makes them immune to it. On my necro I make it a point to try and use my 1sec of fear as soon as it loses it’s stacks because my pitiful amount of fear only moves him about a meter so that the rangers can’t knock him back out of all the groups AOE. I really wish I could use my AOE skills when the group needs them but I have to wait till there are significant stacks on the boss to even attempt to fire them off for fear of losing out on the massive amount of damage if it gets knocked back.

Please change it to an interrupt instead cause that’s all they’re using it for in the first place.

There are 3 types of rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I play a ranger (fairly recently) and the problem is, if you are not “allowed” to use skill 4 on LB, well, there’s damage you can’t do AT ALL because it’s a skill you take out and then you’re waiting for other stuff on CD. That’s like saying “well warriors your hundred blades is annoying so don’t use it. Just stand there and wait for skills WE LIKE are off cool down. Hey if you get killed in the meantime, we don’t really care as long as we’re happy”.

Kind of ridiculous no? You can ask ANet to change it, but then, 8 months into the trait system FIASCO and that hasn’t changed, so good luck.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Just reduce the range of the knock back against PvE mobs for these PvE fans so they can stop crying about their loss of 1second farm dps.

JQ Druid

in Ranger

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I play a ranger (fairly recently) and the problem is, if you are not “allowed” to use skill 4 on LB, well, there’s damage you can’t do AT ALL because it’s a skill you take out and then you’re waiting for other stuff on CD. That’s like saying “well warriors your hundred blades is annoying so don’t use it. Just stand there and wait for skills WE LIKE are off cool down. Hey if you get killed in the meantime, we don’t really care as long as we’re happy”.

Kind of ridiculous no? You can ask ANet to change it, but then, 8 months into the trait system FIASCO and that hasn’t changed, so good luck.

If you’re worried about doing damage AT ALL you should be outside of 900 range anyway where PBS can’t connect and where your auto attack does it’s maximum damage (+1000 units; more damage than PBS anyway). So..uhm..no.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Well, hundred blades doesn’t interfer with other people’s skills, knockback does and rapid fire (and even autoattack) does quite some damage so it isn’t that you’re not doing any damage at all if you’re not using knockback.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Just reduce the range of the knock back against PvE mobs for these PvE fans so they can stop crying about their loss of 1second farm dps.

Yes and disable it in wvw, please as it’s so nice to see opponents escape due to knockback.

in Ranger

Wetpaw.3487

Yes and disable it in wvw, please as it’s so nice to see opponents escape due to knockback.

Carry a range weapon, cripple, immobilized, pull, freeze, or knockdown and adapt.

JQ Druid

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Carry a range weapon, cripple, immobilized, pull, freeze, or knockdown and adapt.

I’m a thief, my max range is at 900 and I have few of your suggested utilities and I don’t really want to see the rangers on my own server as my worst enemies.

Edit: If I could kill them I would though.
Edit²: Those who interfer in my fights, use their stupid knockback carelessly and have the nerve to then tell me that they had to trade their 6k damage against my 16k.
Edit³: Spelling

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Ranger

Vanive.3804

I’m a thief, my max range is at 900 and I have few of your suggested utilities and I don’t really want to see the rangers on my own server as my worst enemies.

Edit: If I could kill them I would though.
Edit²: Those who interfer in my fights, use their stupid knockback carelessly and have the nerve to then tell me that they had to trade their 6k damage against my 16k.
Edit³: Spelling

Yeah I play thief too and sometimes I can use Scorpion Wire to pull it back, but most of the time someone else has locked it down or another ranger pushes it back out again.

And as to the person who said KB does not work on champs, BS…this happened tonight and is the reason I posted this thread. My best ranged weapon is short bow (The Dreamer), so the range isn’t as good as long bow. I feel this is a mechanic oversight and it needs to be adjusted, or make it so KB does not affect anything over a normal mob, and that would include Veterans, Elites, Champions and Legendary (and yes you can KB and pull Legendary mobs).

Its stupid as hell that you have people pushing mobs all over the place just so they can watch people can chase it around. It would be one thing if the mob was moving on it’s own, but it’s players doing it…it’s just annoying I don’t care who you are.

in Ranger

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

A small remark… Having 2 rangers I would like to state the skill 3 van be very usefull… It is essential in solo play and I can see the benefits of using the skill. Not in context of melee fighting but do remember enemies van come from multiple sides in SW. when up the walls actually you want to keep enemies away, also the fact pets run normally and don’t jump makes the pet speedbuff more useful. During the Breach and champion fights the knockback should be automatically removed due to champbuffs leaving the skill available for additional damage…

I doubt it’s meant as trolling and would be better to be seen in conjunction with the Ranger buffs which caused a lot of people I know to make a ranger. ‘second generation bearbows’ is IMHO the main reason for it. I played ranger in dungeons about1- 2 months after launch when I was kicked from a party and someone said to me do never knockback a group when multiple ppl are meleeing. I got the message and tbh it was sheer ignorance on my behalf… I learned and kept playing ranger in PvE and dungeons and was asked regularly even though rangers were in very bad light for a while, to a point where rangers where summarily kicked from all parties.

A new generation rangers is learning, and they will. Tell them their mistakes instead of asking their skill set destroyed. Asking for a removal of knockbacks is dumb and hammer carriers and winds elementalists can knockback as well. I ran with Hammer wielders as well and if they use knockbacks rangers have done it… Unless it’s perfect then hammer warriors get the praise even if it was the ranger. And I prefer the long knockback it has many uses. In fractals or vs igniters. Or anr place where you need to interupt ormove a foe.

Noteworthy mostly GS farmers are annoyed as the lose their ball. But these people should hear other people would like time to tag as well.. It’s not all about you… Both rangers should remember the cannot wreck balls, and farmers should learn there are ppl using builds that actually would like tags as well…
BUT I would go GS to farm… in SW however it would be a fatal mistake. I’d try in your cases to appreciate the dmg from range, it’s good support most of the time….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

I played ranger in dungeons about1- 2 months after launch when I was kicked from a party and someone said to me do never knockback a group when multiple ppl are meleeing. I got the message and tbh it was sheer ignorance on my behalf…

I think I love you!
None of those rangers I explained this to ever reacted like this and I’m fairly sure that in 95% of all cases I explained it in a perfectly normal tone. Instead a lot of them became trolls.

in Ranger

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I played ranger in dungeons about1- 2 months after launch when I was kicked from a party and someone said to me do never knockback a group when multiple ppl are meleeing. I got the message and tbh it was sheer ignorance on my behalf…

I think I love you!
None of those rangers I explained this to ever reacted like this and I’m fairly sure that in 95% of all cases I explained it in a perfectly normal tone. Instead a lot of them became trolls.

Well I play a game to have fun, and in my ‘limited’ vision it is fun when everybody has fun. Trolling is bad behavior.

As an additional remark I’d. Like to mention 1 of 26 with a CC skill affects champs and legendaries… For a 2500 dmg hit with I’ll take the risk… Even if there is a 6% chance of knockback…. Just looking at the amount of stacks left could be a good argument but when fighting gold and silver I sometimes have the wrong one targeted. Also with 50 ppl shooting this could occur every 6 seconds if all were rangers or faster if cc users. And when your main weapon ranges till 1200 for the knockback…. Only thieves should be griefed… Their max range is 1050 …

And most rangers see ppl hit from their aoe’s… Barrage is often negated. Due to pulls ab knockbacks. Thieves, rangers.,necros,guardians and warriors tend to cause this..

It’s not like rangers are the sole cause…

All others should bring a long range weapon. Dungeon builds are not Open world builds!
Going GS A/M is limiting your usefullness and effectiveness.

And good fighting also means dealing with changing battlefields

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

in Ranger

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I really don’t see a point in KBing mobs more than 900.

What?

How are rangers supposed to KB out of Skyhammer map then?

Also that would require changing the KB distance of all classes.

So yes, we need to increase KB distance.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Only thieves should be griefed… Their max range is 1050 …

With pistols if traited. Untraited max range 900, like engis who also have a max range of 900 if untraited (not sure about the grenade kit but I’m pretty sure it has got a range of 900, 1200 if traited).

And most rangers see ppl hit from their aoe’s… Barrage is often negated. Due to pulls ab knockbacks. Thieves, rangers.,necros,guardians and warriors tend to cause this..

Not sure if I understand this and I don’t think the Barrage damage of my ranger has ever been negated and I don’t know what skill my thief could possibly have that negates damage.

All others should bring a long range weapon. Dungeon builds are not Open world builds!

I think everybody should be free to play how they want. If they die because they melee a mob who’s supposed to be ranged it’s their bad but you can’t expect them to just equip weapons because rangers have the habit to knock back everything.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

The problem is that in PvE there are 50 rangers using skill No.4. This, for melee classes, is very annoying, because these players force you to play a certain way (go behind the mob like an idiot all the time).

The effect of KB should work only if the enemy is attacking the Ranger at melee range.

(edited by Lukhas.1962)

in Ranger

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

With pistols if traited. Untraited max range 900, like engis who also have a max range of 900 if untraited (not sure about the grenade kit but I’m pretty sure it has got a range of 900, 1200 if traited).

Not sure if I understand this and I don’t think the Barrage damage of my ranger has ever been negated and I don’t know what skill my thief could possibly have that negates damage.

I think everybody should be free to play how they want. If they die because they melee a mob who’s supposed to be ranged it’s their bad but you can’t expect them to just equip weapons because rangers have the habit to knock back everything.

1st quote: If we’re taling about pushing The push is 600 leaving it in range of pistols or SB’s anyways, when you cannot reach it anymore you were not in melle range to begin with. And range is always handy, if 20 ppl are attacking something they 5% loss will not outweigh the range benefits.

2nd quote
Scorpion wire?

3rd Quote
If all people are allowed to play as they want so can rangers! This works both ways.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

1st quote: If we’re taling about pushing The push is 600 leaving it in range of pistols or SB’s anyways, when you cannot reach it anymore you were not in melle range to begin with. And range is always handy, if 20 ppl are attacking something they 5% loss will not outweigh the range benefits.

2nd quote
Scorpion wire?

3rd Quote
If all people are allowed to play as they want so can rangers! This works both ways.

If you’re standing right next to the thief maybe, but the usual situation for me is the following: I solo a camp and am about to backstab the last opponent for 7,5-9k, a ranger comes in and knockbacks, so my backstab and all my damage is wasted, all my autoattack coming after my backstab is wasted, I have to run after the mob and do my combo again – so it is 16k of damage wasted as I miss out on two backstabs and the autoattack. My ranged weapons wouldn’t help me that much in taht situation.

Alright scorpion wire is a skill most thieves I know don’t have equipped, I have it for underwater combat to pull back mesmers hiding at a gate, other than that I never use it – Knockback is an automatic skill on LB though, so the possibility that any ranger uses it is higher than any thief using scorpionwire – and I honestly don’t know why a thief would do that in an open world zerg fight anyway.

Ok, scratch the “I love you” you still don’t seem to understand where people like me are coming from. =)

in Ranger

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I’ve been doing the world event chain for months now and have noticed that some folks playing the Ranger class have been using KB as a form of trolling, by knocking back content out of the reach of other players purposely. This is doing nothing but kittening people off and causing animosity.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but could we get a range adjustment on KB applied so it’s not knocking stuff back out of the range of other classes ranged capability? I really don’t see a point in KBing mobs more than 900.

Thanks

Oh noes! You have to pay attention to what you’re hitting with Press #1 and Face-tank world zerg train tactics. The horror that it may move and players would be forced to follow and …. (wait for it) …. (its coming) …. react. * gasp * Oh no I didn’t.

Yes I realize that some rangers don’t always use the correct skills at the best of times. I do. However the long knockback also has its place. Tequatl battery defense comes to mind first.

PvE is already so disgustingly easy… please don’t whine over something like this.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Azhure.1857)

in Ranger

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

~Snip~

It’s so funny when you see Rangers use LB3 (Hunter’s Shot) on Doors in WvW….

LB#4 (Point Blank Shot) deals less damage than the Auto Attack (Long Range shot) at 1000+ Range, slightly more damage at 500-1000, and a bit more at 500<, so it’s not worth it as a damaging skill, just use AA. Its only use is to push a foe away if they get to close, or to interrupt a KEY skill by the enemy.

LB#3 deals pitiful damage compared to the AA, about half the damage at 1000+ range, less than AA even at 500< range. It gives the pet swiftness (lol). As a damaging skill it’s not worth it, just use AA for more damage. Its actual use is to grand Stealth to the Ranger when the enemies get too close.

Any Ranger who uses LB#3 or LB#4 for damage is actually losing DPS. Use those skills when you should only

in Ranger

Posted by: Thord.2017

Thord.2017

Several things here.

Number 3 longbow skill. It is generally referred to as the Stealth Skill. It does buff the pet too, giving a speed boost. I use it, with only a few exceptions when near death, so my pet will get to what I am shooting at quickly.

Number 4 Longbow Skill. The pushback. Very annoying for everyone in a group including other Rangers. As a Ranger I also might need to run closer, with a longbow the further from the target the better so it does sometimes knock it out of my range. However when alone it can be quite literally a life saber so Rangers need it, removing it is not an option.

Remember Guardians have a skill which can hook onto up to 5 targets and pull them to him/her which is also a pain in the neck. The thief has a utility skill which sends out some kind of rope and pulls a single mob to him. The ranger is not the only class which can move mobs across the battlefield. The guardian needs that skill as does the thief.

Warrior level 80, Guardian level 80, Ranger level 80, Thief level 80, Elementalist level 60

Server: Gunnars Hold [EU]

in Ranger

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Problem is that Thief’s Scropion wire is buggy meanwhile Guardian can successfully pull chained targets.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

in Ranger

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Thanks

Oh noes! You have to pay attention to what you’re hitting with Press #1 and Face-tank world zerg train tactics. The horror that it may move and players would be forced to follow and …. (wait for it) …. (its coming) …. react. * gasp * Oh no I didn’t.

Yes I realize that some rangers don’t always use the correct skills at the best of times. I do. However the long knockback also has its place. Tequatl battery defense comes to mind first.

PvE is already so disgustingly easy… please don’t whine over something like this.

So this. I’ve lost count of the number times when commanding a Teq run that the laser has been saved from the Champ Krait by a timely KB. With the sheer number of players there, that Krait has an incredible stack of defiance.

When you play in a zerg, you’re always gonna get newbs, noobs and bar spammers. I never got annoyed by it and just accepted it as the nature of the game. You just have to adapt to the situation. That’s what gap closers or pulls are for.

in Ranger

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I honestly think I auto, rapid fire and barrage 90% of the times while fighting
Stealth has it’s uses and knockback as well. But the utility of the skill is overlooked.

This thread is about the wrong use of knockback, not rangers. If this is so this thread should be applied to all push and pull mechanics. Understand this skill is a 1200 range knockback, it’s unique. And do not punish experienced rangers for the mistakes of newbs and trolls… Please

Rangers have had a bad rep since day -2 I guess… But it’s always the ranger…

in Ranger

Wetpaw.3487

I think I love you!

Not trolling, but for a lack of a better word these posts are dumb. Should I spend this week running my hammer Guardian, GS Mesmer, MM Necro, I know my Ele w/tornado elite…
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Launch
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Knockback
This is a mmo, and new players, or inexperienced players come w/the territory get used to it and move on. 900r (1200r trait) Point Blank Shot is fine.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

in Ranger

Jana.6831

I think I love you!

Not trolling, but for a lack of a better word these posts are dumb. Should I spend this week running my hammer Guardian, GS Mesmer, MM Necro, I know my Ele w/tornado elite…
This is a mmo, and new players, or inexperienced players come w/the territory get used to it and move on. 900r (1200r trait) Point Blank Shot is fine.

Which posts are dumb? Yours or mine or..?
Have you read any of the posts I’ve written in this thread? I already listed other classes who are able to knockback, I also explained that it’s more annoying with rangers as they knockback farther. I also listed situations in wvw not open world zergs, where I kind of expect noobs to be around, but it’s not just noobs who use that skill, seemingly oblivious to what mess they can cause.
Yes, that skill should be nerfed or have an (negative) effect on the rangers as I can only educate people that often before I grow to hate the class.

Edit: Or just live with me hating rangers, who cares anyway?
Some of my best friends in this game are rangers, btw.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Ranger

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I think I love you!

Which posts are dumb? Yours or mine or..?
Have you read any of the posts I’ve written in this thread? I already listed other classes who are able to knockback, I also explained that it’s more annoying with rangers as they knockback farther. I also listed situations in wvw not open world zergs, where I kind of expect noobs to be around, but it’s not just noobs who use that skill, seemingly oblivious to what mess they can cause.
Yes, that skill should be nerfed or have an (negative) effect on the rangers as I can only educate people that often before I grow to hate the class.

Edit: Or just live with me hating rangers, who cares anyway?
Some of my best friends in this game are rangers, btw.

Help yourself hating bad rangers, all class got some bad players here and there. It is not LB4’s problem, bad players indeed. Why nerf a skill for bad players sake? didnt make any sense at all.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

Help yourself hating bad rangers, all class got some bad players here and there. It is not LB4’s problem, bad players indeed. Why nerf a skill for bad players sake? didnt make any sense at all.

Because it’s not just new players who don’t realize this but also veterans who use knockback whenever it’s off cooldown. If you say that only bad rangers use that skill (in group situations), then 98% of all rangers are bad. And since it destroys a good part of other’s people’s game play and since it’s not the duty of other players to educate them, there should be a mechanism to make them learn. (For example) Warriors usually learn it themselves as they hinder themselves at times by using knockback as hammer is a melee weapon, so kicking their prey out of their own reach makes them realize that they shouldn’t really spam that skill.
Ok, and with this I’ve said everything, I guess.

Edit: No not really, I’d like to point out that it’s not just me telling each ranger on my server (and there are plenty) not to knockback the mob I’m fighting while I’m soloing, it’s their reaction as well which isn’t positive in most cases but I’ll get involved in lengthy discussion on how better ranger’s damage is and that they saved my life and other nonsense. So, I’m always the bad person for a ranger interrupting and destroying my fight and the capping a camp becomes longer so enemies have it easier to storm in and cap it themselves. When someone is about to stomp me there’s no knockback though ;)

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Because it’s not just new players who don’t realize this but also veterans who use knockback whenever it’s off cooldown. If you say that only bad rangers use that skill (in group situations), then 98% of all rangers are bad. And since it destroys a good part of other’s people’s game play and since it’s not the duty of other players to educate them, there should be a mechanism to make them learn. (For example) Warriors usually learn it themselves as they hinder themselves at times by using knockback as hammer is a melee weapon, so kicking their prey out of their own reach makes them realize that they shouldn’t really spam that skill.

I guess you need some help in what he meant.

new player =/= bad player
veteran =/= bad player
bad player = bad player

There are plenty of other issues with other classes as others already mentioned.
Fear spamming necromancers, knockbacking hammer guards, warriors pulling every boss with tremor, mesmer GS knockback and so on.
It’s just a player issue because they don’t know / care whats the result of their action.

in Ranger

Jana.6831

I guess you need some help in what he meant.

new player =/= bad player
veteran =/= bad player
bad player = bad player

There are plenty of other issues with other classes as others already mentioned.
Fear spamming necromancers, knockbacking hammer guards, warriors pulling every boss with tremor, mesmer GS knockback and so on.
It’s just a player issue because they don’t know / care whats the result of their action.

Umm, you reply to a post of mine without reading it? That’s not nice.

in Ranger

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Are you sure it’s malice and not just ignorance?

Seems like there is a certain class of ranger that needs to be told things several times for it to sink in. Yeah, if you ask people not to, there will always be some wise guy who does it more, just to be a kitten, but many people will listen. You’d be surprised how many people in a pug Zerg are actually really new to the game and don’t know this stuff.

(I have two rangers BTW, and I know not every ranger is a skill clicking bear bow, but it does seem common).

It isn’t just ignorance, it’s outright incompetence really. Because you can inform them that the knockback is disruptive (educating them and removing ignorance out of the equation) and they’ll still do it anyway just because they’re facerolling mouthbreathers.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer