Please allow me to do content

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Several times today I have been denied doing dragon events because of guesting. Why are other plays from other servers granted my spot on my server when it is time for these events to spawn? I can begin to explain how frustrated I am about this situation and I know I am now the only one.

Why is guesting allowed to be abused?

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

I replied on the other thread but i’ll write something else here.

Id like to see home server members given preference over a ‘guester’ however its hardly ‘abuse’ that members of other servers can access events on yours. Maybe try turning up a little earlier to events to guarantee a place.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

How do you know it’s from people guesting onto your server and not just the increased loot drops from the events causing more people from your server to show up?

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

If you so want to do the dragon events, arrive ahead of time, say an hour or so.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Let’s make this clear. It is NOT your spot. You don’t have spot nor does anyone else for that matter. It is first come first serve. You want a piece of the action than do the time and wait in line.

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

What do you mean you cant do the events common now with a bit of planning you can easily do em all. Heck i did all of the events yesterday on all 4 my level80s and yes guesting is working as intended i was able to join my guildies for those event on their server.

Amun Ra.6435

Let’s make this clear. It is NOT your spot. You don’t have spot nor does anyone else for that matter. It is first come first serve. You want a piece of the action than do the time and wait in line.

Yes it is indeed my spot, who else would have my spot if not for guesting?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Solution: Come earlier.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Amun Ra.6435

This was not an issue before questing…I should not have to come earlier. Anet needs to make some changes to their servers. I paid to play the game, same as the person WHO TAKES MY SPOT when these evetns spawn, plain and simple.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

There is close to 60k average accounts per server and I think maps are capped at 500 people. Everyone wants to do the events now that the loot is so good. You can:

1) Get there early.
or
2) Seek out the other 20 events that award the upgraded chests.

knives.6345

This was not an issue before questing…I should not have to come earlier. Anet needs to make some changes to their servers. I paid to play the game, same as the person WHO TAKES MY SPOT when these evetns spawn, plain and simple.

Your spot? Can you point me to a link that there is a reservation on a spot here?

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

There is close to 60k average accounts per server and I think maps are capped at 500 people. Everyone wants to do the events now that the loot is so good. You can:

1) Get there early.
or
2) Seek out the other 20 events that award the upgraded chests.

Just curious….where do you get your figures?

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

Arriving early in a map to play a game….

Just shows how poorly designed this game’s systems are when fights like this are faceroll easy and give out free money, recipe for disaster. Where is the combat system depth? Stop designing with gimmicks.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Conner.4702

Really well you could always try and hold your breath until your face turns red like a petulant child and see if that works, since your temper tantrum isn’t having any affect. Or maybe stomp your feet really loud I hear some children have success with that. Or you can just grow up.

Amun Ra.6435

Really well you could always try and hold your breath until your face turns red like a petulant child and see if that works, since your temper tantrum isn’t having any affect. Or maybe stomp your feet really loud I hear some children have success with that. Or you can just grow up.

Nah, having enough fun reading your responses to my posts…glad I could get under your skin…good day sir

Conner.4702

Nah, having enough fun reading your responses to my posts…glad I could get under your skin…good day sir

Except you’re not even succeeding in that. All you are doing is making a fool of yourself for the whole community to see. You just hit overflow again buddy.

Amun Ra.6435

Except you’re not even succeeding in that. All you are doing is making a fool of yourself for the whole community to see. You just hit overflow again buddy.

Oh, sorry, didn’t notice you still standing there…you may leave.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

You no more have a right to that spot than you have a right to steal a car .Guesting is a mechanic of the game that you have to take into account when planning to do chest events at this point. Early bird gets the worm its that simple

Amun Ra.6435

/sigh Do you people go to the same site for these responses or something? Guesting is the problem here, it was poorly implemented and needs to be removed or changed, no one should be denied access to anything because of it, plain and simple.

Adine.2184

nobody is denied access. you can still do said events on overflows when they spawn on the overflow .

knives.6345

/sigh Do you people go to the same site for these responses or something? Guesting is the problem here, it was poorly implemented and needs to be removed or changed, no one should be denied access to anything because of it, plain and simple.

It is not poorly implemented. You’re the one who can’t adjust to the new system. You’re so encapsulated by the idea that you are reserved a spot on a non-overflow instance. You’re so into the idea that you are entitled at your own server – you are not.

And don’t get started on the notion that you don’t have to adjust – you paid to play, not to dictate the design..

Again, learn to adapt.

Posted by: Durian.5419

Durian.5419

The thousands of other players on your server….

Takkek Twicechosen, bone-collecting ranger of Plague[SICK]

Posted by: Durian.5419

Durian.5419

Again, and I posted this in the other thread but let me be more general. There are 24 NA servers, and 27 EU servers. They sold 3 million boxes. That’s a lot of accounts per server, way more than any zone could hold. Why are you certain it’s guests?

Takkek Twicechosen, bone-collecting ranger of Plague[SICK]

Posted by: Antihoc.2503

Antihoc.2503

Copied and pasted from the other thread with title in caps also on the same subject

I agree that overflow can be a pain but has it been confirmed that ‘guesting’ is the issue?

Or is it that the 100’s of people that populated their home servers did not bother with the dragon/ world events because of the kitten poor drops and now the loot is far better everyone on their home server wants a piece of it?

I see no proof either way at the moment so having yet another thread moaning about guesting is a little pointless, although this is a better quality thread because the title is all in caps

knives.6345

nobody is denied access. you can still do said events on overflows when they spawn on the overflow .

Or they could guest into another non-over populated server… Or come a bit early – websites with event counters are available…

But no, they feel so entitled – they don’t want to do that…

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

I wander if OP would get this upset at lions arch overflow, afterall its his/her server right?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Nor was it an issue after guesting was introduced either.
Let me ask you this, when do you think guesting was added?

Because…you see…it wasn’t added in the February update, which is kind of when the issue started. What did happen in February then?
They buffed the loot.
That is why so many more people are at the events, far far more locals are doing them now than before.
The guesters are simply more obnoxious about it, in order to get a rise out of people too foolish to fully consider the implications of recent events and put 1 and 1 together.

Many of us have made suggestions concerning a workable solution to the issues at hand, I believe most were gathered into the major “Guesting Concerns” thread. I politely suggest you check it out, read the ideas, support ones you like, maybe even build upon one and make a suggestion of your own. Who knows, maybe you’ll hit upon a really great idea the rest of us have overlooked and we can all get back to hunting loot without stepping on each-others toes.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

This was not an issue after guesting, either. Guesting was added over a month ago. This dragon/meta overflow problems started with the Feb update because of the chest loot changes. The home populations of every server now have much more reason to make sure they do these events daily. I’m not saying that guesting isn’t a problem, but it’s not the only problem, it’s only a part of the problem.

Something does need to be done about the guesting, like making guests not get the chest. But getting all of the guests out isn’t going to prevent overflows completely. The per map player limit is still going to be a lot less than the number of people on your server wanting to get the chest.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

It would be simple just to add overflows to the maps instead of allowing people to join other servers’ maps, so if you have a friend there you can safely join them in overflow and not mess up things like events. (well it’s mostly dragon events lol)

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

It’s a common feature to the game actually. Remember when fractals just got out, and unless you played them from the start, you had lots of trouble finding a 10- group? Or what about the current guild bounties, where you have no chance whatsoever to complete them in time if you don’t search for stuff beforehand?

The good news is that the first eventually got fixed. Let’s hope the second, and your problem, get fixed as well.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Amun Ra.6435

Well my job is complete…

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Several times today I have been denied doing dragon events because of guesting. Why are other plays from other servers granted my spot on my server when it is time for these events to spawn? I can begin to explain how frustrated I am about this situation and I know I am now the only one.

Why is guesting allowed to be abused?

The problem isn’t guesting, it’s the free loot. Period.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Holy rage fest. Amun Ra, you have posted this several times already under different thread names. I ahve no problem doing ALL of the world events on BOTH my characters WITHOUT guesting, and I’m on a high population server.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

How is overflow denying you the ability to do content when it is doing the exact opposite? Overflows give you the ability to play the game when your server would be full otherwise. If this was a typical MMO, you truly would be denied access to the content by being forced to wait in a queue with the inabiltiy to play at all. Would you really want overflows disabled in favor of a queued system, or how about the permanent overflow approach where zones are dynamically created to fit the needs of the population, removing the ability to keep track of any timed events.

The only reason you even think you’re being denied is because you’re abusing a timer to determine when an event is taking place.

So I’m wondering…why does my thread on bounties give me an infraction while this one is allowed to exist?

Talk about double standards…

Because moderators don’t work 24/7 and this thread was created on saturday night. Since both these threads are in violation of the rules, it’s only a matter of time, assuming it’s kept up on the front page.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

prerequisite to do event on my home server, to be arriving earlier and then afking for one hour, is unacceptable.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

How is overflow denying you the ability to do content when it is doing the exact opposite? Overflows give you the ability to play the game when your server would be full otherwise. If this was a typical MMO, you truly would be denied access to the content by being forced to wait in a queue with the inabiltiy to play at all. Would you really want overflows disabled in favor of a queued system, or how about the permanent overflow approach where zones are dynamically created to fit the needs of the population, removing the ability to keep track of any timed events.

The only reason you even think you’re being denied is because you’re abusing a timer to determine when an event is taking place.

I think it’s a bit more complex than this. So much that the exact opposite could be true. He could be denied because others are abusing a timer. Being put into an overflow gives an entirely new wait for the event’s start. In the case of dragon events, that is up to a 4 hour additional wait. A lot of people don’t have that long to play each day, so getting put into overflow denies them access to the event. Whether or not you are “abusing” a timer yourself, you can be effected by this problem. And in either case, the issue would be less prominent without guests from other servers.

There are countless times I have participated in these events where the timer had nothing to do with my presence there. I was simply in the area for leveling/dailies/farming/etc and it started, or a friend was there for those reasons and told me the event started. In either case, someone is on the “outside” being informed of the event’s start with no aid from a timer, and will likely not be able to get in because of others flooding the zone.

Of course, there are many times I participate in them because I, or a friend/guildmate, were watching the online timers. If you want to consider that abuse, the players from other servers using my server to bypass the respawn timer is even more abusive. They could kill the same dragon/boss multiple times in a matter of minutes (using alt characters), each time contributing more to those servers’ overflow problems and preventing their home players from participating in the event.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Adine.2184

@PetricaKerempuh.
Who said you have to AFK for an hour? Go kill things and if you see a bounty say where you never know if someones doing one .

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It was not an issue with the dragon events because fewer people were doing them before they improved the loot. It was an issue with other areas.

The Lost Shores event for example. Guesting wasn’t implimented then but many people still missed out on the chest (or other parts of the event) because they disconnected and when they logged back in they were in an overflow where the event was either finished or hadn’t started.

It was the same with starter areas during the Headstart weekend, it was very rare to get into the main zone straight away, you’d usually start off in an overflow and have to wait. (And I feel like it always let me switch when I was in the middle of an event.)

As other people have explained at the moment everyone wants to do the world bosses (mainly the dragons). Even if they did remove guesting I think you’d find you’re still getting the same problem because unless you’re on a virtually empty server there are still more people than 1 zone can hold.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Threads created for the sake of complaining are not allowed as they do not invite to constructive discussion. Please refrain from creating such threads in the future.