Winter's Presence Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey there,

There are a lot of comments and input about the Winter’s Presence rare collection achievement.

This thread has been created so that you can share your questions, concerns, and feedback. I’ll apologize in advance if the comments in the four or five merged threads that form the basis of this thread lose some level of cohesiveness. However, with one thread, the designers have a much easier way of reading your thoughts, and I think that outweighs any possible misordering of comments.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

P.S. If you spot other threads that might properly reside within this general feedback thread on the Winter’s Presence collection, could you please give me a link, so I can tidy things? Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Zabiyaka.2567

Zabiyaka.2567

Ye I got it. Was so happy. Then discovered that visuals of this skin are invisible when wearing an outfit. It’s really sad. My ultimate Santawannabe set idea just burned down in a fireplace. It should be a tonic or something that give you that visuals…like that halo above your head. So yeah…another disappointment and tons of gold wasted.

Attachments:

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

If u had watched the stream you would have already known it doesn’t work with outfits, not they they said that, but viewers figured it out straight away. Unlucky for you, but maybe they will fix it with outfits one day as apparently its same for nightfury.

Posted by: Zabiyaka.2567

Zabiyaka.2567

Some ppl have work and dont have time to watch some ppl talking.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Well…. shoulder skins (aka armor skins) was never able to be mixed with outfits. Been like that since forever. Should have known… but eh can’t know everything.
It really does suck.
Not really a fan of outfits because of such mix and match becomes impossible.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Zach.2618

Zach.2618

It’s a shoulder skin, how can you wear an outfit and a piece of shoulder skin? It’s doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out lol. In any case you didn’t even have to watch the twitch stream, just do a quick search on winters presence outfit on Google will net you your answer in 2 mins. Seems like another case of blind purchasing, often happens when you got too much purchasing power.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It’s a shoulder skin, how can you wear an outfit and a piece of shoulder skin? It’s doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out lol. In any case you didn’t even have to watch the twitch stream, just do a quick search on winters presence outfit on Google will net you your answer in 2 mins. Seems like another case of blind purchasing, often happens when you got too much purchasing power.

You know, there’s no reason for you and the others responders (save Zeefa) on this thread to show your butts. While I also research such things, sites like Dulfy (as much as I like it) should not be a requirement in order to enjoy the game fully.

This is how to be civil on the forums: I agree the outfit should also work with the effect like this and Nightfury. Unfortunately, at this time, they do not. Maybe you could make that suggestion to ANet and they can change it?

It does seem more appropriate with certain outfits. And congratulations on getting the item.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s counter-intuitive if you think in terms of the effect because the effect is around the whole character.

That it’s technically in a shoulder slot is something the tech inclined are likely to think about, not most others.

The best fix for the future would be to make a new skin slot that items like this and nightfury go into (one that is compatible with outfits). As it is, cool as the skins are, they basically give you a particle effect that has nothing to do with your shoulders and robs you of that slot for wearing actual shoulders.

It’s kind of McGyver the way they implemented it.

Or words to that effect.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Agreed. They should just make a new slot for specific effects like these. Well said.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: CIndeR.3479

CIndeR.3479

Posted by: Korimor.2406

Korimor.2406

http://imgur.com/a/5dWwR

Ok… so i have the trinket with queen bee that turned into winters presence….. long story short my character now has a permanent cloud above her head even with everything unequipped… and after relogging… im very confused

Maguuma – “The Legendary Guy”
Jedi – Revenant, Tylox – Thief, Roeina – Ele, Korimor – Warrior
youtube.com/user/KorimorSWG

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They did say in the wintersday update blog on the homepage that it was outfit only, however I agree it should either be a separate effects slot or a rune

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Considering Outfits cost lotsa gems I see no problem with giving them more features to be more worth the price since it’s already bad that you can’t mix them with armor.

Give people want they want and make more money.. Particles carrying over to outfits and the ability to wear any hat with them. Then she can have snow stalking her + santa hat + winter outfit + halo and be filled with happiness.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Illuna.2846

Illuna.2846

Please consider removing the JP x 3 requirement for the Winter’s Presence Shoulders.

The lvl of difficulty involved is beyond the reach of many and the frustration it brings isn’t fun at all.

Why :

-The 30 min “PVP” zone limit. If you don’t pay attention, you can be far in the JP and suddently be kicked from it.
- The maximum player in the zone sometimes prevents you to attempt it when you’re rdy for it.
- The fact that the snowflakes disappear with a very tiny time limit. You basically have to run from start to finish (except checkpoint) giving you very little time to plan you next move.
- The fact that you take periodic dmg (you cannot stop for more than a second or you will die).
- The many obstacles (snowman that blows wind that can knock you off, boulders, red circles, exploding gifts).
- The fact that you cannot re-attempt it from the checkpoint to practice.
- The fact that you cannot use any class skill or other players help.

Don’t get me wrong, I like challenging content and I’ve completed nearly 95% of the other JP.

But in this one, I manage to reach the checkpoint about 10% of the time and so far, I always die at the blowing gifts for whatever reason. Sure, if I keep attempting it for another 500 tries, I will probably get it eventually. But…is that supposed to be fun ? Does that entertains me ? Not at all.

Sure, not every items should be easily obtainable. But I honestly think the difficulty lvl of this JP is too high to be a req in a simple holiday skin (let alone the 10k drinks and other req things).

I would suggest you put a big daily reward at the end of it for the highly skill players who succeed and have an alternate option for the skin itself.

A long time loyal player.

(edited by Illuna.2846)

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Nope.

15Chars

Posted by: World War III.3869

World War III.3869

NO.

I suck at JPs and even I can farm that thing. It’s ridiculously easy if you put the effort in. I do the thing on a freak of nature max sized Norn. If you cant do that thing 3 times in a month… C’mon… It’s easy!

The only guys I feel sorry for is if you’re disabled with one arm or something. I actually helped a guy out before with a vista that had one arm. As sad as it is, just like other games and life, if you have a disability, you won’t be able to do some things. Anet isn’t some store providing a ramp for wheelchair access. It’s a video game. They can’t really do anything for some of these people. People would lie and try to cheat through things. Hey I had the flu during Halloween and missed something, here’s my Doctor’s excuse, give me my cheevs and items please.

Realistically, Anet has some amazing support sometimes. Compared to some other companies I’ve dealt with. I’ve deleted items by accident, forged wrong kitten etc, they fixed it. This JP unfortunately they won’t and can’t change.

Winter Presense is a prestige item. It’s money + time + skill. Take away one and it’s 1/3 the item. Take gen 1 legendaries for example. Compare 2013 to now. Not so Legendary anymore.

First Halloween I wanted Ghastly shield skin. Spent a bunckittens, farmed etc, got jack kitten. Is that the way it should be? Sure they cost loads now but i’d never want them to nerf that for people who aquired them. I could buy one right now if i wanted but i prob never will due to being burned so hard with the key scam. It’s not the same.

Is it even special if every toon has one? without the money gate and JP thats what it would be.

Worry about the 10k drinks then the JP. Oh and the choir thing, it takes me days to complete a couple songs. Think freddy kruegar vs a chalkboard.

For the record, i’m willing to try and help anyone with the JP. The presents? most have trrouble with that. if there’s multipple people on the candy waiting for boxes to spawn, WAIT. Wait till you’re the only there if you have to. Take the middle route and spam space bar. Every now and then you have to jump on a diagnal one. The rest is simple and can be shown or watched in a video. Can use that same spot to catch your breath and take a brreak if arthritic. Me personally, I do better if i just keep going and go with the flow. Like a rythmn.

(edited by World War III.3869)

Posted by: KDXX.9520

KDXX.9520

NO.

I suck at JPs and even I can farm that thing. It’s ridiculously easy if you put the effort in. I do the thing on a freak of nature max sized Norn. If you cant do that thing 3 times in a month… C’mon… It’s easy!

The only guys I feel sorry for is if you’re disabled with one arm or something. I actually helped a guy out before with a vista that had one arm. As sad as it is, just like other games and life, if you have a disability, you won’t be able to do some things. Anet isn’t some store providing a ramp for wheelchair access. It’s a video game. They can’t really do anything for some of these people. People would lie and try to cheat through things. Hey I had the flu during Halloween and missed something, here’s my Doctor’s excuse, give me my cheevs and items please.

Realistically, Anet has some amazing support sometimes. Compared to some other companies I’ve dealt with. I’ve deleted items by accident, forged wrong kitten etc, they fixed it. This JP unfortunately they won’t and can’t change.

Winter Presense is a prestige item. It’s money + time + skill. Take away one and it’s 1/3 the item. Take gen 1 legendaries for example. Compare 2013 to now. Not so Legendary anymore.

First Halloween I wanted Ghastly shield skin. Spent a bunckittens, farmed etc, got jack kitten. Is that the way it should be? Sure they cost loads now but i’d never want them to nerf that for people who aquired them. I could buy one right now if i wanted but i prob never will due to being burned so hard with the key scam. It’s not the same.

Is it even special if every toon has one? without the money gate and JP thats what it would be.

Worry about the 10k drinks then the JP. Oh and the choir thing, it takes me days to complete a couple songs. Think freddy kruegar vs a chalkboard.

For the record, i’m willing to try and help anyone with the JP. The presents? most have trrouble with that. if there’s multipple people on the candy waiting for boxes to spawn, WAIT. Wait till you’re the only there if you have to. Take the middle route and spam space bar. Every now and then you have to jump on a diagnal one. The rest is simple and can be shown or watched in a video. Can use that same spot to catch your breath and take a brreak if arthritic. Me personally, I do better if i just keep going and go with the flow. Like a rythmn.

Actually, special skins and such used to be meta-achievement rewards for the festivals. Those requirements used to have a little “give” in what you had to do to achieve them. If you weren’t good at one thing, you got to make up the deference by being dedicated to dailies, or other content.

Really all you’ve done is reinforce the argument that there’s content some people are good at, and some people are not. If you’re good at JPs, great, but forcing everyone to do JPs, even those horrible at it, just makes it frustrating. Needlessly so.

For items with value, your argument of exclusive items, like exotics and such, holds some water. Some things are locked behind certain doors, and that’s fine. But a skin that no one else will benefit from? What’s the point holding over the heads of people who are just not good at JPs? Who does that serve? Who does it help? Who does it make feel better about the game?

So rather than removing the JP requirement, there should be alternate roads to getting the final reward. If it’s about dedication, you can make the alternates time consuming, or challenging regarding other content. 200-500 kills in snowball mayhem I could do that. Play 5000 notes in the choir bell game, or get 100 songs with 100% accuracy? I could do that.

But you pit me, and a lot of other people, against a JP, we will never get the reward. NEVER.

Posted by: Joshua Valentine.6417

Joshua Valentine.6417

When I tried the JP the first few times, I thought the exact same way. “Eff this, why should such an annoying piece of fecal matter be a gate, blocking progress towards a skin?”
But then I actually really tried to do it, and I’ll tell ya what worked for me.

Snowflake Section: Choose a path, repeat until muscle memory. Doesn’t take too long.

Explody Gift Section: Wait until the middle gift in the first line (NOT the blue gifts) spawns, then jump to it, and spam that space bar so that you jump straight up the middle line of gifts.

Boulder/Snowball/Whatever Section: Use the peppermints to get out of the way of the boulders. Watch for Skritt attacks, which will be indicated by a big red ground AoE circle!

Final Section: Once you get here, you SHOULD be in the clear. Unless you have awful lag/input delay (which I had a few times…I even failed the very last jump before completing it because my character wouldn’t move forward when I pressed W!) you should be in the clear.

Hope this will help SOMEONE out there…unless every single player in the game already knows how to do it, and it’s just a matter of reflexes/other things.

Grumpy Woodsman.
Jade Quarry Forever.

Ardenwolfe.8590

I pretty much suck at it too, but after some practice I managed to do it successfully three times to get the achievement.

But I’ll admit that mushroom jumping puzzle in Tangled Depths gave me a lot of practice with this style of puzzle.

A lot.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Oh come on.

If my 10 year old brother who never touched GW2 before managed to beat it, you can too.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Please consider removing the JP x 3 requirement for the Winter’s Presence Shoulders.

The lvl of difficulty involved is beyond the reach of many and the frustration it brings isn’t fun at all.

A long time loyal player.

But… isn’t this argument one hell of a slippery slope?

If you can’t do the mine motor controls for the JP, can you do the Bell Choir? Probably not.
Can you do the sPvP minigame? Well surely not, plus it’s sPvP and many players don’t want or cannot do that.

With the very same reason you could remove virtually any part.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Nightshade.5924

Nightshade.5924

NO.

Really all you’ve done is reinforce the argument that there’s content some people are good at, and some people are not. If you’re good at JPs, great, but forcing everyone to do JPs, even those horrible at it, just makes it frustrating. Needlessly so.

For items with value, your argument of exclusive items, like exotics and such, holds some water. What’s the point holding over the heads of people who are just not good at JPs?

So rather than removing the JP requirement, there should be alternate roads to getting the final reward. But you pit me, and a lot of other people, against a JP, we will never get the reward. NEVER.

Okay. MY issue is that completing the Jumping Puzzle is a FORCED requirement For the Winter’s Presence Collection. Jumping puzzles like that are ALL about skill. IF there WAS say a NON timed, NON melting version of this puzzle, then I would have no complaint. But…..

I’m With the guy that started this thread. Making a Jumping Puzzle, ESPECIALLY THE THIRD hardest in the game, a gate for ANYTHING is beyond crazy.

To the guy “who sucks at jumping puzzles”? Dude. I have 4 guys I play with regularly. Two of them ROCK at jumping puzzles. Most often when we do one to get the achievement or “for fun” one of these guys pretty much holds my hand leading me through said puzzle. They can finish a puzzle, then come back to find me trying to get past the 20th jump or where ever it is that I’ve come back to for the fourth or fifth time.

The point being… both of my Bad * jumpers AGREE that Wintersday Gauntlet is right up there w/ the Mad King’s Clock Tower and the South Sun JP. NEITHER OF THESE GUYS HAS COMPLETED ANY OF THOSE THREE.

So. This problem needs an immediate fix. The DEVs NEED to either PULL the JP requirement from Winter’s Presence, or they need to field a version of the JP that will give a credit for completion, and NOTHING else. No chest, etc. Said version should NOT have any timers, and DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT HAVE MELTING BLOODY SNOWFLAKES.

For the record, the farthest I have EVER gotten is the EIGHTH SNOWFLAKE. From the start. Frustration doesn’t even cover TEN tries and not even being able to get near the First safe point. Is there one? I wouldn’t KNOW.

Posted by: catnip.7903

catnip.7903

JPs are ok as they are. They don’t need a fix. They are not supposed to be easy (some are easy, some not). JP rewards you for your skill and patience, not for loading the map.

Plenty of guides, youtube videos – with them even completely unskilled player can finish the JP (only problem might be connection issue, high latency, lagspikes).

What lies in the furthest reaches of the sky?
That which will guide the lost child back to her mother’s arms: Exile.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Yeah lets remove anything that requires skill from this achievement and make it just a gold grind.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

Okay. MY issue is that completing the Jumping Puzzle is a FORCED requirement For the Winter’s Presence Collection. Jumping puzzles like that are ALL about skill. IF there WAS say a NON timed, NON melting version of this puzzle, then I would have no complaint. But…..

I’m With the guy that started this thread. Making a Jumping Puzzle, ESPECIALLY THE THIRD hardest in the game, a gate for ANYTHING is beyond crazy.

To the guy “who sucks at jumping puzzles”? Dude. I have 4 guys I play with regularly. Two of them ROCK at jumping puzzles. Most often when we do one to get the achievement or “for fun” one of these guys pretty much holds my hand leading me through said puzzle. They can finish a puzzle, then come back to find me trying to get past the 20th jump or where ever it is that I’ve come back to for the fourth or fifth time.

The point being… both of my Bad * jumpers AGREE that Wintersday Gauntlet is right up there w/ the Mad King’s Clock Tower and the South Sun JP. NEITHER OF THESE GUYS HAS COMPLETED ANY OF THOSE THREE.

So. This problem needs an immediate fix. The DEVs NEED to either PULL the JP requirement from Winter’s Presence, or they need to field a version of the JP that will give a credit for completion, and NOTHING else. No chest, etc. Said version should NOT have any timers, and DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT HAVE MELTING BLOODY SNOWFLAKES.

For the record, the farthest I have EVER gotten is the EIGHTH SNOWFLAKE. From the start. Frustration doesn’t even cover TEN tries and not even being able to get near the First safe point. Is there one? I wouldn’t KNOW.

Really? The third hardest JP? It took me 2+ hours to get mad kings clock tower. It took me less than 15 minutes to get this one. They are not even in the same league. This jump puzzle (imo) is one of the easiest in the game, there are a few noob traps, but really it is all about jumping fundamentals.

A few tips:
-use action camera
-I find the middle path (snowmen i think) to be the fastest, however the candy cane poles are harder because they are much shorter
-on the snowflakes try to jump from the highest edge to the lowest edge as long as this doesnt increase jump distance too much.
-on the candy canes jump at an angle instead of perpendicular to them
-the jump right after the first checkpoint is probably one of the hardest because it is a max range jump, you pretty much jump right as you are about to fall off the checkpoint platform and aim for the middle red/white square gift (not the blue rectangle ones, you will take too long), then spam jump straight forward, only going at an angle if one of them blows up.
-at the following platform there is a snowman that blows wind that can knock you off, it does a short burst then a long one, so either wait for both of them or you can evade through it safely.
-the rest of the jp is pretty self explanatory, dont step in the red attack circles and use the peppermints off the sides to avoid the snowballs.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

If you haven’t noticed, quite a lot of people are grinding the jp for gifts, if they can do 15 jumps per 30min, I am sure you can get 3 jumps eventually.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Nightshade.5924

Really? The third hardest JP? It took me 2+ hours to get mad kings clock tower. It took me less than 15 minutes to get this one. They are not even in the same league. This jump puzzle (imo) is one of the easiest in the game, there are a few noob traps, but really it is all about jumping fundamentals. .

Just putting down their opinion. Maybe you didn’t read the post. Maybe you MISSED the part where 1) In NORMAL, non crazy puzzles, It takes me MULTIPLE (three or more) tries to complete them 2) the part about the EIGHTH snowflake from the starting platform. Just how many are there, anyway?

It’s like being tone deaf. Or blind. Or being an amputee. There are Just Some things that YOU CANNOT DO, no matter how hard you try OR how badly you want to. I PvP, I play WvW, I do fractals, I even do Jumping puzzles IF they don’t have crazy stupid timed BS insanity.

One more time… there needs to be an NON-TIMED, NON melting snowflake version of this puzzle. Call it the beginners or kids version, I don’t care. The ONLY award I want for completing it is the Snowglobe award for the Winter’s Presence.

Otherwise I will NEVER EVER complete that collection. Which to me is totally BOGUS. You don’t design things like collections with JP’s. Cause some of us JUST CANNOT DO THEM.

(edited by Nightshade.5924)

Posted by: Yarrmor.8406

Yarrmor.8406

The Wintersday is by far one of the easiest JPs I’ve done in GW2. The only thing thats “hard” about it is getting a bad spawn/pattern with the exploding presents. I had presents of the middle row (the only path you should take) not reappear. Also, presents exploding next to you causes a knock back, happened once to me.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I can’t do the JP and I don’t think they should change the requirements. I don’t think I need to be eligible for every single skin in the game.

That said, in the future, I hope that ANet keeps in mind that festivals are supposedly about getting everyone together, from all game modes, and forcing people out of their comfort zone is going to rub people the wrong way. Offer skins for completing a bunch of JPs, offer skins for completing various challenges in activities, but try not to mix up the game modes and rewards during festivals.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Yet another JP…this game truely is designed by rejects from the Super Marios franchise these days.

Am I even vaguely interested in trying yet another one (they are all basically the same- jump jump miss die repeat from start)? Nope.

I always find it interesting that you can use the exact same mechanic (jumping) over and over again by dressing it up in to different ‘puzzles’ and people accept it as new content and even say ‘there are 25 different JP’s’. Nope, there is one type of JP, repeated 25 times with a different skin on.

Anet have fooled a lot of people into thinking this is ‘content’ when it must take all of five minutes to design a new JP- have a tool that knows max jump distance, vertical/horizontal, enter how long you want it, press start and hey presto outline of a new JP. Colour it in whatever theme you like- which is where the art department comes in. Add timer to further annoy people.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Yarrmor.8406

Yarrmor.8406

Actually, a lot of the JPs uses different mechanics. Surely, most come down to jumping around, but itsn’t called a JUMPING puzzle for nothing.

Posted by: DaniTheHero.6318

DaniTheHero.6318

What are you talking about, the JP is what bothers you, Not the drinks? The JP is one of he easiest ones in the game. It takes you about 3 minutes to finish each run. It just takes a a bit of practice. If this JP is bothering you they you clearly haven’t tried out the actual ones in the game.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

What are you talking about, the JP is what bothers you, Not the drinks? The JP is one of he easiest ones in the game. It takes you about 3 minutes to finish each run. It just takes a a bit of practice. If this JP is bothering you they you clearly haven’t tried out the actual ones in the game.

The drinks one bothers you? The drinks is one of the easiest ones in the game. It takes you about 3 minutes to buy them from the TP. It just takes a bit of time. If this drinks one is bothering you then you clearly haven’t tried out any actually hard content in the game.

Best. Community. Ever.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I’d probably say it’s actually kinda tough because of the time limits. Most of the JPs in the game give you time to look where you’re going but this one puts you on a time limit.

Not that that makes it actually hard. It’s just harder.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I believe anyone can conquer the jumping puzzle, if they put some time and effort into it. You got until January 12th. The more you throw yourself at it, the more you will start to master it. You will learn how to do each jump and know where each snowflake is, you will know how to jump across the presents, you will know where it is safe to stand past them, when to move, when to stop on the sides, when to dodge roll, and so on forth. You just need to give yourself the ability to learn it, and not give up. Can it be frustrating, yes, because of other players, but it is probably within reach for everyone that plays the game, as long as they are willing to actually learn to master it. There’s roughly a month left to get past it, just 3 times.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

Best. Community. Ever.

Seriously, this. Welcome to Kitten Wars 2.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

When I tried the JP the first few times, I thought the exact same way. “Eff this, why should such an annoying piece of fecal matter be a gate, blocking progress towards a skin?”
But then I actually really tried to do it, and I’ll tell ya what worked for me.

Snowflake Section: Choose a path, repeat until muscle memory. Doesn’t take too long.

Explody Gift Section: Wait until the middle gift in the first line (NOT the blue gifts) spawns, then jump to it, and spam that space bar so that you jump straight up the middle line of gifts.

Boulder/Snowball/Whatever Section: Use the peppermints to get out of the way of the boulders. Watch for Skritt attacks, which will be indicated by a big red ground AoE circle!

Final Section: Once you get here, you SHOULD be in the clear. Unless you have awful lag/input delay (which I had a few times…I even failed the very last jump before completing it because my character wouldn’t move forward when I pressed W!) you should be in the clear.

Hope this will help SOMEONE out there…unless every single player in the game already knows how to do it, and it’s just a matter of reflexes/other things.

Very good tips. May I add to take it easy while playing. Seriously, the more lighthearted you make it, the easier it gets. Sing, whistle, hum, tap your feet, or whatever you have to do to relieve tension. A glass of wine or a little something to take the edge off might help too. I also like to have a little fun with the JP by imagining its being narrated by Bob Ross as “Bob Ross: The Joy of Jumping”.

For the basics, keep the zoom level a bit tighter on your character. It’s like a Race horse wearing those blinders. Just stay focused on each jump and nothing else. Remember you are steering with your mouse. So adjust the camera rotation speed in the games “options panel” to suit your play style and hardware. For me, it’s almost all the way to the left at its slowest.

So now we have you just holding down the mouses right click to steer and the “w” key to move forward. There’s only a couple of jumps that you have to release the “w” key to short jump. The timing of letting go of the “w” key is just something you’ll have to learn as you go along your preferred path. Dodge jumping, which is hitting the dodge and jump keys at the same time, helps you jump a little further. It’s very useful for reaching the exploding gift section without the blue gifts spawning.

Lastly, always keep a cool head about you when the character goes lame and doesn’t jump properly, it happens. Or, when you get run over by those invisible snowballs, ouchie. Or, the RNG of the exploding gifts, as our characters go “kitten kitten ” and bounce around before falling to their doom. Even when you are stuck behind that Chunky "expletive"ing Norn that can blot out the freak’n sun! In a freaking long coat too!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

A few things wrong with this stupid JP

Snowflakes shouldn’t disappear, it doesn’t add an extra layer of difficulty, it’s just annoying.

Getting blown over by wind and falling because of it is the worst feeling ever, especially because it’s so inconsistant.

This event is anything but fun.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Getting blown over by wind and falling because of it is the worst feeling ever, especially because it’s so inconsistant.

It’s actually really consistent. As soon as you get past the exploding packages, dodge roll onto the candy cane bridge thingy. The technical term for it. Also, don’t run up higher than the middle of the Peppermint Candy when waiting for the snowball to roll by.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Nightshade.5924

I believe anyone can conquer the jumping puzzle, if they put some time and effort into it. You got until January 12th. The more you throw yourself at it, the more you will start to master it. You will learn how to do each jump and know where each snowflake is, you will know how to jump across the presents, you will know where it is safe to stand past them, when to move, when to stop on the sides, when to dodge roll, and so on forth. You just need to give yourself the ability to learn it, and not give up. Can it be frustrating, yes, because of other players, but it is probably within reach for everyone that plays the game, as long as they are willing to actually learn to master it. There’s roughly a month left to get past it, just 3 times.

This SEEMS to be exactly the same JP from Two years ago and definitely Is the same from last year from what I can see.

Which is the start. Which I have never gotten past. Tone deaf. Blind. Amputee. I haven’t EVER been able to do this JP. That’s not going to change with practice. What may change is my computer…. It might get broke after I have a meltdown and throw it against the wall TRYING to get past the bloody snowflakes.

Before this I was able to ignore it. I was able to shrug my shoulders and say “Eh, no biggie.” NOW, however, completing this puzzle is MANDATORY for the collection achievement. AND it’s possible that w/o the JP achievement, I will be ALSO unable to get the META. Which in previous years WAS NOT THE CASE.

SO. Ignoring the drinks thing, though after doing some math those chaps have a point, being Unable to do the JP deprives me of 2 achievements and a collection and maybe the Meta. That’s poor design on the part of the Arena Net team, poor execution, and that NEEDS to be corrected.

Which could be simply done by the suggestions I have made before this. OR, even easier, the Meta could be taken down from 18 required to 16… and the JP requirement could be changed or an alternative requirement could be added to the Snowglobe item in the collection.

That fixes everything, and stops the frustration that I’m seeing from many here. Simple, elegant, and it WILL work. Unlike me trying to become a master JP type.

DaniTheHero.6318

The drinks one bothers you? The drinks is one of the easiest ones in the game. It takes you about 3 minutes to buy them from the TP. It just takes a bit of time. If this drinks one is bothering you then you clearly haven’t tried out any actually hard content in the game.

Best. Community. Ever.

Id say spending 900Gold on drinks is much harder than pressing space properly.

DaniTheHero.6318

I’d probably say it’s actually kinda tough because of the time limits. Most of the JPs in the game give you time to look where you’re going but this one puts you on a time limit.

Not that that makes it actually hard. It’s just harder.

30 minutes timer for a jumping puzzle that requires 3 minutes to finish is ‘harder’? Are you mad. Even the first jump quest in Queensdale is more tasking than this.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Oh come on.

If my 10 year old brother who never touched GW2 before managed to beat it, you can too.

…Which really should tell you how little the twitch-fest timed JP’s have to do with 99% of Guildwars 2 gameplay.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Even the first jump quest in Queensdale is more tasking than this.

That would be a bald-faced lie.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

DaniTheHero.6318

Oh come on.

…Which really should tell you how little the twitch-fest timed JP’s have to do with 99% of Guildwars 2 gameplay.

What does pressing your space properly has to do with Guild wars 2 gameplay? Jumping puzzles in any game have nothing to do with ingame gameplay unless it allows you using your own class skills, in which case a thief and mesmer get it even more easy.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I would like to go on record saying I disagree with OP vehemently. The winter JP is a perfect difficulty. Probably a 5 on a 1-10 scale. If you can complete it once, completing it 3x is a piece of cake.

Just be patient. Getting frustrated is normal when you don’t succeed, but that’s not a good enough reason to remove it. The human race wouldn’t be where it is today if we didn’t feel that frustration on failing and causing us to strive to succeed even more. It’s a motivator!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I would like to go on record saying I disagree with OP vehemently. The winter JP is a perfect difficulty. Probably a 5 on a 1-10 scale. If you can complete it once, completing it 3x is a piece of cake.

Just be patient. Getting frustrated is normal when you don’t succeed, but that’s not a good enough reason to remove it. The human race wouldn’t be where it is today if we didn’t feel that frustration on failing and causing us to strive to succeed even more. It’s a motivator!

I agree with this. After getting into the groove (and failing maybe 20 times) I managed to clear it 3 times in a row. It’s muscle memory. It’s worth noting that all three successes were after turning the game off for a couple of hours and going back to it after resting on it.

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

Please consider removing all requirements for all Account Bound items, or in fact any items.
If I flick a switch a gift myself a normally saleable item, fine, make it account bound. You can even put a title like “noob” so the l33t kids can laugh at me.

In a nutshell. I paid for the game. I don’t want to jump through your hoops just to have a thing. Nobody feels any pain if I have a thing, no matter how much they pretend that they do. They do not. I should not have to prove I am >this< awesome just to have a thing.

This should be good. Awaiting my forum moderation, it seems inevitable.

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

As a mature gamer, I appreciate intellectual puzzles instead of the Nintendoesque kiddie games they seems bent on pursuing. The lack of connect between the content and the lore widens every update. It appears the game is moving towards attracting and capturing the loose wallets of the more immature gamer than the more mature clientelle from previous versions of the game and previous iteration. It is unfortunate for me to see the world devolve into fractioned pieces that do not interact or meld in any way to previous lore.
For instance, Legendary Weapons, has anyone heard of them before or during GW1 or GW2? Hmmm. Food for thought and just my humble opinion.

Posted by: Baccart.8105

Baccart.8105

Please consider removing all requirements for all Account Bound items, or in fact any items.
If I flick a switch a gift myself a normally saleable item, fine, make it account bound. You can even put a title like “noob” so the l33t kids can laugh at me.

In a nutshell. I paid for the game. I don’t want to jump through your hoops just to have a thing. Nobody feels any pain if I have a thing, no matter how much they pretend that they do. They do not. I should not have to prove I am >this< awesome just to have a thing.

This should be good. Awaiting my forum moderation, it seems inevitable.

Lol, I want to get Legendary without T6 materials, gold or karma grind. Also I feel like map completation requirement is stupid, considering you have to complete WvWvW maps too. Maybe just give out everyone everything for free, maybe then everyone will be happy.

PERFECT LOGIC.