Please delete outdated forum posts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: yuclement.9273

yuclement.9273

As topic, many old posts are 3-4 years ago, and most of contents are completely outdated.

For example, when I search for elementalist builds, I found many posts that about old specialization system like 20/20/10/0/0, all of this information is no longer useful to players and they may even misleading to new players.

I wish Anet can heed my petition, thank you.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t think Anet is going to take the time to go through 5 years of forum threads to try to identify which threads are no longer relevant.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t agree.

Old threads are the history of the forum. They show what people thought and said on different topics and are useful sometimes to pull up old but still relevant dev quotes. They are useful when remembering or proving in current discussions how things used to be. I see no reason to delete our shared forum history.

People can learn to look at the dates. That bit of taking care will be useful to them when looking up anything during their lives.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

You shouldn’t be using this forum as a resource for builds now that we have many tools that do it for us.

Such as metabattle and quantify will always give you the most relevant builds.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

There is no reason to get rid of old posts, historical data is good. If historical posts were to be deleted the “Female Animation” thread might disappear forever. How about tying forum posts with version numbers of the game which is apparent on the list view of the game.
This way you know which are old posts and if you do see some old post which never goes away you know there is some controversy/excitement with the post that ANet or the Community are involved in.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

OP, how about you go through the pages of all forum posts, and make a list to send to the Moderators? It will probably only take a few months. That way your suggestion would have more of a chance to be implemented.

Good luck.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are 5-year old posts about mounts — should they be deleted? 5-year old posts about adding build templates — should ANet purge those? 4-year old posts about the original living world — I hope you don’t want the history of its pros & cons to be removed.

And it’s quite instructive to realize that people thought elementalists were bad at DPS 5 years ago (people just hadn’t figured out how to use them efficiently) or that mesmers were useless in 5-person content (i.e. dungeons, also before folks had learned the utility of all that prof’s utilities).

Seems like a lot of work to remove stuff we can already filter out: each post contains its age, in clear, red lettering.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”