Please don't make traits start at 30

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I really don’t mind getting 1 point regularly rather than bunching up points near level cap. I think I’d have never made it to level 30 if there was nothing to put points into until then…

Especially as it’ll be easy to switch your mistake traits around now.

Any opinions on this?

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

I agree. I think leveling should feel rewarding on all levels. Getting a trait point every time you ding just feels enjoyable and rewarding, because it lets you know that your character is progressing, you’re getting one point closer to that next cool trait, etc.

Leveling to 30 is going to feel pretty grindy now, not to mention that it’s pretty boring to play up till level 50 or so without having cool traits to enhance your gameplay.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i already find the game boring and painful pre-30, with the traits beginning all the way to lvl 30 makes it a nightmare the say the least.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Perhaps getting traits @ level 15-20 while keeping the same pace is a better alternative?
This would mean that you get to Grandmaster @ level 65-70, which quite frankly seems to agree with the game’s philosophy.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: sterling.4238

sterling.4238

I don’t see why people hate this one so much.

The early levels are actually the most rewarding. Up until about level 30 you are constantly unlocking skills that change the way you play your character. After level 30 you have all the skills you want to play with and most people just let the skill points pile up unspent (possibly being saved for a legendary). Traits are just so small the the incremental changes are hardly noticed. I often leave my trait points unassigned for a level or 2 because it just doesn’t seem to make any difference (with the exception of major and minor traits). Levels 30-80 feel way more grindy to me.

By splitting up the progression (skills 1-30, traits 30-80) they are getting rid of the overlap from 10-30 where you are already seeing tons of progression. What I’m really excited about though is hunting down those major traits. I’m kind of bummed that I wont be able to do it on any of my existing characters.

Posted by: Vinailt.3248

Vinailt.3248

I hate this change so much. Unless ANet plans on balancing content to make up for the fact that you don’t have any traits until level 33 (which they probably won’t), leveling is going to be even more of a tedious chore.

Vinailt/Aislinn Yula | Officer of Dolyak Attack | Commander of Attack of the Yaks | Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Mazdan.2071

Mazdan.2071

I agree. Also for my warrior, the first major trait I chose was Warrior Sprint from the Disc. line. It gives a 25% speed boost while wielding melee weapons. There’s really no other way for a warrior to get that, no signet like ranger or necro, and I find it hard to play without the 25% speed.

With this new system, I would have to wait until lvl 40 to get the boost. Well if I were starting a new warrior that is.

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

I agree with you as well. Leveling from 1-30 will now be more painful than it already is. New chars had to get to 11 to get traits, and now they will have to get to 31. And even with the level-20 scrolls, now you’re back to having to level 10 times before you get traits. I dont like this change.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Yeah, there are a lot of traits I always use early on. No traits till 30 means I will definitely feel the painful difference while leveling.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I really dislike this change as well.

Some professions feel-semi broken until you get access to at least a few traits. Take a look around the profession sub-fora and you will see veteran players advising newcomers to wait until level X when certain traits are unlocked, because that’s when the profession starts to feel right.

The problem with newcomers learning the game has nothing to do with how many things there are too learn how early. It has to do with the game doing a poor job of communicating mechanics and then properly scaling content as you level to slowly train you to use those mechanics more and more.

There is nothing in the game that takes thirty levels to learn. What part of our characters is blowing people’s minds to such an extent that the trait system is the straw that breaks the camel’s back?

Okay, ANet says a portion of the player base had no idea about the trait system and doesn’t even use it. How is postponing it to level 30 going to improve that?

I’m just so glad I’m done leveling characters and I don’t have to sit through an extra 20 levels without traits. I feel sorry for the newcomers who will. If we ever get a new profession and I get tempted to level another character, I’ll definitely be using freebie levels to get through the first half of the process.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I think I’ve posted this same sentiment 3 times already in various other threads. But I have no problem repeating myself for the sake of being heard.

Over 1/3 through the leveling process before even getting access to traits. Free trait respeccing is awesome, really promotes build experimentation. But restricting traits to lvl 30 and above limits new players and new alts from experimenting with the potential of the class. Also, it makes for boring gameplay. I don’t understand the benefits that could possibly warrant this change. If it’s because of having to earn traits via challenges, then make the first few available from very basic achievements, like exploring 1 map fully or completing 10 hearts or completing 25 events…things players of any level can do.

Also, if traits unlock at 30, does that means we have to spend time unlocking them after that or can we unlock them beforehand so we can actually equip a trait at 30?

No Grandmasters till 80. Just why? Now, not only do you force new characters to wait till 30 to even access traits, but now you have to be max level to access grandmaster traits? Isn’t the purpose of leveling to learn and experiment with a chosen class? In which case, shouldn’t you be able to do that more freely before hitting level cap? At level cap, you should understand the class fairly well and begin gearing up, not earning more traits.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I think OP doesn’t realize that you get skill points you can use to unlock things starting at level 2.

That should satisfy your “put points into things” fix.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

/second. The other stuff is fine, but the first five trait points should come at level 15, not at 30.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I do have to agree with some of the sentiments in this thread. I think 20-40-60 would have been a better choice. For me, dungeoneering is a HUGE part of my Pve play, and I think this trait restriction is going to limit dungeons groups willingness to let lower level players tag along. With the decrease in our overall damage added to the mix, we now pretty much have a GUARENTEE that we are ‘dragging’ someone through a dungeon as they will, by default, not have needed stats/traits that are their only saving grace right now. Level 30-35 groups in AC? Hello!?! Also, aside from dungeons, at low levels, players have VERY limited stat selection possibilities and limiting this even further is a big mistake imo. Low level players often depend on traits to suplement missing offenive or defefnsive stats not present in thier gear options. Currently, by the time you level to 30, you have an EXTRA 200 pts worth of stats (usefulness of traits at the low level aside) to help your character balance out a build. Halting this supplemental stat allocation till so much later is going to be a BIG step in the wrong direction as far as leveling chars is concerned. My ‘two cents’ is only worth a penny though, so take it for what you will.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

I’m worried that it will make it worse for <80s to get into dungeons. It’s bad enough now. There’s also newbie first timers who aren’t very good fighters yet or could be under-geared. Not having adept and master traits will hurt them.

Once I get to level 30, I’m already bored with the world. So I start doing dungeons. What am I going to do now? I don’t know if I’ll be able to pull my weight without the trait abilities. I also don’t want to go to WvW to level up if I’m going to be a burden on my team.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I’m assuming they are going to bake in stat increases each time you level. If not then this change is stupid.

How interesting or meaningful is it to spend a point and get +10 of a stat? Let people choose a trait line at lvl 10 and just bake those stats in.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Agree with OP.

Now as I have stated in a few posts I have got alot of my friend to start / or try again Guild Wars 2 and most of them say ‘When will I get to choose traits’ and I answer ‘At level ten’. Well since my friends asks me this question I bet they are intolerant and wanna try out traits and in my opinion the game isn’t as fun as it is when you can start to trait your character.

IMO Level 11-16 works well as a start to gain trait points imo I don’t see the point at starting at 30.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I don’t have an issue with them dropping us from 70 points to 14, but traits need to come much sooner than level 30 and shouldn’t be so backloaded. While I have 8 characters, only two are at level 80 thus far Backloading the traits so heavily gives me that WoW-feeling where the game doesn’t actually start until max level.

Please, ANet, rethink the changes you are making to when traits are made available.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Some classes don’t even feel right until certain critical traits are reached; so unless there is some very heavy re-balancing in the level structure and xp rate this part does worry me.

Plus not having those stat points you used to get from 10-29 via trait lines is a nasty hit on effectiveness when it comes to certain content.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

We don’t know much about the trait system yet where they are introducing some kind of challengs to explore and accomplish inTyria that will add new depth to the game together with the idea of starting your own skin collection, right via start, instead of waiting until end-game.

If getting traits will be through missions teaching players the mechanics of the game, giving them traits to use, experimenting based on what they have learned, this could basically be huge, really huge to the game and the leveling experience.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

None of that really helps me Gumball. You could already wear fancy skins at early levels if you bought transmutation stones. For me it actually makes it worse because I like waiting until end game. Gives me more stuff to do later on. But I’ll probably be too tempted and get the cool skins early. Totally my fault, I don’t deny that.

I just want to go do dungeons and WvW once I get bored with open world. Don’t pretend Anet will add challenging content, they won’t. They think nerfing zerker gear is an amazing change when it’s not. They don’t know how to add challenging monster AI, what makes you think they’ll suddenly make the whole world more fun and challenging to play?

So far I’ve been doing dungeons on my alts starting level 30, but I put off doing WvW until 60. With this change it seems I’ll have to wait for dungeons until 60, and wait for WvW until 80.

There’s nothing really we can do at this point, I guess I just want to feel better about this. Because as soon as I hit 30 I’m dreading doing more open world content, and I can’t imagine putting up with it until 60.

Teaching mechanics and such would be good for new players, but at this point I don’t need it and I doubt most older players do. If I need help I can ask guildies and server mates, go to the PvP zone to practice, etc.

I’m just wondering if they thought about this issue at all… I’ll see how it goes I guess.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: sterling.4238

sterling.4238

I hate this change so much. Unless ANet plans on balancing content to make up for the fact that you don’t have any traits until level 33 (which they probably won’t), leveling is going to be even more of a tedious chore.

They have already stated that they are going to balance early content to make up for lack of traits. Why wouldn’t they? It is an incredibly easy thing to do.

Levels 1-30 are where your character progresses the most, the fastest. Acquiring new skills for your build is way more fun than getting +1 power. Levels 30-80 are the grind because nothing changes. You play the same way for 50 levels never unlocking anything that changes the way you play your character or enhances your gameplay. Sure there are minor improvements in efficiency but no real game changers.

With the new system, you keep your main source of progression from 1-30 (unlocking skills). You still get your incremental trait progression from 30-80 but now you get it in meaningful chunks. Plus you get the added benefit of searching out and unlocking major traits. Seems like a great way to spread character progression out from 1-80 and keep the excitement of unlocking new cool things for as long as possible.

Posted by: whatsername.4128

whatsername.4128

My two cents on this: Mesmer is hard enough to level as it is. I’ve gotten two to 80 in my time in GW2. Putting traits off until 30/60/80 is just going to make this harder since certain traits that have been my safe haven while leveling are now getting pushed farther back. I’m just afraid its going to feel like even more of a struggle than it’s already been for certain classes, net even just Mesmer as I mentioned.

And re: Gumball, I get what you’re trying to say, and if that’s what they’re trying to accomplish good! The game could use some revitalization, especially for us veterans. I simply don’t think this is a way to go about accomplishing that, and would like to voice that opinion.

Tarnished Coast – [NeX] [SASS]
Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

…I’m just hoping the second year birthday gift is level 80 scrolls. I can’t be having with this. >.>

let the sky fall

Awbee.8405

They have already stated that they are going to balance early content to make up for lack of traits. Why wouldn’t they? It is an incredibly easy thing to do.

And also a really bad thing to do, gameplay wise. I don’t want to autoattack in easy areas until level 50. That’s terrible. I want to have access to traits that let me improve my character and the way it plays, and thus be able to take on content of moderate difficulty, like I’ve been able to do until now.

Levels 1-30 are where your character progresses the most, the fastest. Acquiring new skills for your build is way more fun than getting +1 power. Levels 30-80 are the grind because nothing changes. You play the same way for 50 levels never unlocking anything that changes the way you play your character or enhances your gameplay. Sure there are minor improvements in efficiency but no real game changers.

Grandmaster traits are no real gamechangers for you? Also, I consider traits just as big a part of character progression as skills.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

This is a stupid change, IMO. I do like the thought that traits will have to be “earned” rather than just obtained automatically when you pay a small fee to unlock a tier, but they obviously aren’t considering that the GM tier of traits is what makes some classes work.

Anyone who’s leveled a mesmer knows that they are difficult early on, and really don’t get to be good until 60+ when you have access to Grandmaster traits. Now new players will be forced to wait for those traits until 80. I have a feeling some people are going to give up on the class when they’re in their 40s-60s when leveling it is difficult the whole way through. Elementalists aren’t easy to level, either.

Some classes won’t be hurt too badly by this, but overall it’s a terrible design, given how large an impact traits in general give to every build. 1-30 will become even more boring than it currently is if we can’t even access traits.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: EmoDevo.3209

EmoDevo.3209

I agree with this. Existing players creating alts may be able to grind through it reluctantly but I think the players most affected by this would be new players to the game. I remember when I was first leveling my main character, putting points in the trait lines, even though it contributed in the most minor of ways, but it was exciting nonetheless. I can’t imagine as a new player having to wait 30 levels to put my first trait point.

Posted by: ThanatosAngel.8024

ThanatosAngel.8024

I think it really should be started at level 15, then get one point every five levels until 80. Master and Grandmaster unlock at 40 and 60, same as usual. I’m not sure what ANet’s reasoning is for not going this route, but I’d sure like to hear it.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I don’t see why people hate this one so much.

The early levels are actually the most rewarding. Up until about level 30 you are constantly unlocking skills that change the way you play your character. After level 30 you have all the skills you want to play with and most people just let the skill points pile up unspent (possibly being saved for a legendary). Traits are just so small the the incremental changes are hardly noticed. I often leave my trait points unassigned for a level or 2 because it just doesn’t seem to make any difference (with the exception of major and minor traits). Levels 30-80 feel way more grindy to me.

By splitting up the progression (skills 1-30, traits 30-80) they are getting rid of the overlap from 10-30 where you are already seeing tons of progression. What I’m really excited about though is hunting down those major traits. I’m kind of bummed that I wont be able to do it on any of my existing characters.

You Know, speaking for myself, at first My reaction was ’ Oh No…don’t make this change." I am glad I read your post. You make sense.

As I saw it before.. we were getting free respeccs anywhere , anytime. Just needed to unlock traits, and got the option… gold + skills at trainers or through exploring content. Only downside was wating til 30 to get traits.

Now i don’t see it as much of a downside. More Like ’ oh you are level 10 to 30? focus on learning your skills." " Oh you reached 30? Now you can focus ona augmenting skills with traits. Fact is, there were times i forgot to apply trait points until i got to the x5,… x0… levels… since haveing another 2 Points In a trait line is inconsequential.

In My opinion, the " feeling " of progression granted by trait points 10 to 29, are largely illusory.

as for the whole" will they nerf Mobs to account for the nerf to us Players >" bah…. Must the game be handed to us on a silver platter? what is wrong with a challenge?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Brokeback.9543

Brokeback.9543

Please ArenaNet, I am begging please to allow our characters to have traits from at least level 15!

My characters are special, even though mostly low level, BECAUSE of all the choices I can make. Please don’t take away my traits. I want to see my specialness early, in my personal story and early story dungeons. Don’t take away so much power and uniqueness from me. I even bought rare transmute stones to wear some higher level gear styles at low level but my abilities are a big part of that specialness and uniqueness. I feel sick and extremely sad that these changes are taking a significant amount of that away from me and I won’t be able to enjoy my traits where I want to most: my personal story. Also in every game I have played (and real life) progression should be easier and gains faster early and slower later in the areas one becomes more and more specialized or skilled in. I really don’t like the idea of having to wait till max level to “enjoy” things. I feel I’ve missed the point of them by that time: for use in my personal story. Shouldn’t I be able to choose who I am and write my own story in choices of traits as well as skills and moral dilemmas? I want to see my traits during the most personal of personal stories, the earlier parts.

I understand some people might have been confused by traits but that only posed a problem in the past because changing had a cost and inconvenience. If you make it so it’s free and anywhere to change people can afford to experiment with them as they play and see what they like and learn them rather than being fearful of them and fearing making a wrong choice. Doing this is enough to stop the vast majority of your concern over confusion and allows people to play in new ways free from penalty and full of experimentation… but not if you prevent us from having traits until so high of a level (please don’t laugh because I value not outleveling my personal story) and even at those levels being given so few points to experiment with and then a confusing acceleration of points at the end. That’s not how I want to play. That’s not my story.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I think OP doesn’t realize that you get skill points you can use to unlock things starting at level 2.

Play a Mesmer sometime and then come back and tell me what you think of no traits until 30 and no grandmaster traits until 80.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

so AC becomes allot easier?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The simplification of traits to where one gets the equivalent of 5 trait points every x levels, rather than one point per level past L10 makes a certain kind of sense. The real meat of the system is the major traits, not just getting a few stat points every level. I can even — sort of — see the rationale for waiting to level 30 to start handing them out. After all, you unlock skill slots up through level 30.

GW2 has 80 levels, but meaningful growth only happens every 10 levels insofar as traits go. The only other growth in the second half of the leveling curve is acquisition of the ability to wear three-stat gear at ~60. Seen in that light, back-loading traits makes a certain kind of sense.

That said, the system shows the weakness of the GW2 leveling scheme in general. There is just not enough growth in leveling to make gaining a level exciting. Finally, reducing the difficulty in low level zones to compensate for lost trait points is just another nail in the coffin of “the whole game is endgame,” unless they will also be applying harsher down-leveling.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I agree. I’m on a leveling spree, raising the levels on all of my remaining lowbies so I wouldn’t have to go trough that traitless hell.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

To respond to the OP, The current system, at lvl 11 you read a book that unlocks up to 10 trait points and that is where you start investing and get your first trait point. Up until that time, you have no traits. At lvl 40 – 20 trait points and lvl 60 – 30 trait points. There is not a way one can unlock grandmaster skills at lvl 10 or even lvl 40. The way the current system is going, you can only unlock 30 points at lvl 60 – so the GM points would be at 60.

What they are trying to do is prevent kitten builds, I have done it myself when the game started, I had a build with only 14 pnts in one trait, missing the idea of the next trait. The are simplifying the system and at the same time, making it easier to retrait.

I find no negatives and all the benefits of this situation.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

The simplification of traits to where one gets the equivalent of 5 trait points every x levels, rather than one point per level past L10 makes a certain kind of sense. The real meat of the system is the major traits, not just getting a few stat points every level. I can even — sort of — see the rationale for waiting to level 30 to start handing them out. After all, you unlock skill slots up through level 30.

GW2 has 80 levels, but meaningful growth only happens every 10 levels insofar as traits go. The only other growth in the second half of the leveling curve is acquisition of the ability to wear three-stat gear at ~60. Seen in that light, back-loading traits makes a certain kind of sense.

That said, the system shows the weakness of the GW2 leveling scheme in general. There is just not enough growth in leveling to make gaining a level exciting. Finally, reducing the difficulty in low level zones to compensate for lost trait points is just another nail in the coffin of “the whole game is endgame,” unless they will also be applying harsher down-leveling.

I don’t think so. The things is, I know I have been running round with lvl 40 armor on my lvl 70 toon avoiding wasting money or crafting time to make new armor. That has more of an affect on your toon than does the traits. Until you are lvl 80 and in Orr, for example, survival is more about your equipment than traits.

Traits and skills are different. I think hunting skills, like in GW1, makes sense. Otherwise, people would just lvl to 80 by crafting and then play and what fun is that?

Awbee.8405

This plus the fact that transmutation while leveling is gonna cost three times as much now, really kills my buzz for leveling. But it’s most of what I do in the game. I have some 20 more alts planned out, but I really don’t feel the motivation to do leveling any more. It’s getting the fun sucked out of it in multiple ways. No thanks.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t think so. The things is, I know I have been running round with lvl 40 armor on my lvl 70 toon avoiding wasting money or crafting time to make new armor. That has more of an affect on your toon than does the traits. Until you are lvl 80 and in Orr, for example, survival is more about your equipment than traits.

Traits and skills are different. I think hunting skills, like in GW1, makes sense. Otherwise, people would just lvl to 80 by crafting and then play and what fun is that?

I have no idea how either of your points serves as a counter to any of mine. Perhaps you could explain what the phrase, “I don’t think so.” applies to.

Posted by: manicmoron.5194

manicmoron.5194

Pheew thank god I got my ele to 80 now xD
But seriously I think this change will affect new players who want to experience dungeons. By opening the traits at lvl 30, they will really struggle doing AC explorable at 35. Many struggle even now, imagine having just a minor trait and tackling the spider queen! Ouch!

Awbee.8405

Not just in dungeons. Try getting that skillpoint up in the cave in Snowden Drifts, as a Mesmer. The one with the Mesmer Norn with adds. I only succeeded after about 5 tries. Without traits = mission impossible.

But difficulty is not even my main problem with this, the main problem is boredom. Traits make gameplay interesting.

Posted by: Neumonics.4603

Neumonics.4603

I agree, the reason why i get to about level 60 and start a new chair is because its slow, but the reason i even got to level 60 in the first place was because level 1-60 was rewarding and fun.

Compacting that, and moving it to the later area isnt the best idea.

I think if they wanted to do this they should have given us more skills, perhaps 2 skill points at 30, and then extended the skill tree. as opposed to just killing the customization at lower levels.

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

After all of your complaining about this, people forget to think about two things. Experience Scrolls, and there are also Tomes of knowledge which are directed to spvp. Although they have given the options to do this in pve by collecting found belongings.

They took out the reason for the 11th level traits and move them up. If you do not have scrolls or tomes it may be a problem maybe who knows what is going to happen. It may help a players abilities also by not having them always rely on traits to get them through things. Hopefully those scrolls will be come sellable on the trading post.

So once you think about that its not as bad as it seems.

(edited by Chyanne Waters.8719)

Awbee.8405

After all of your complaining about this, people forget to think about two things. Experience Scrolls, and there are also Tomes of knowledge which are directed to spvp. Although they have given the options to do this in pve by collecting found belongings.

They took out the reason for the 11th level traits and move them up. If you do not have scrolls or tomes it may be a problem maybe who knows what is going to happen. It may help a players abilities also by not having them always rely on traits to get them through things. Hopefully those scrolls will be come sellable on the trading post.

So once you think about that its not as bad as it seems.

No, that only makes it worse. Let’s make leveling bad, because you can skip it! That’s terrible. I enjoy leveling as it is now, and I want to keep on enjoying it. I’ve never used any scroll or tome and don’t want to have to use that in the future.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Play a Mesmer sometime and then come back and tell me what you think of no traits until 30 and no grandmaster traits until 80.

I’ve just been doing this with a mesmer just to see how it goes, through to 26 without traiting. The starter maps are a breeze. The next tier maps are a bit tougher but having gear at level sorts that out. By the time a player gets some of these maps done they’ll be at 30 (or should be).

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Brokeback.9543

Brokeback.9543

To respond to the OP, The current system, at lvl 11 you read a book that unlocks up to 10 trait points and that is where you start investing and get your first trait point. Up until that time, you have no traits. At lvl 40 – 20 trait points and lvl 60 – 30 trait points. There is not a way one can unlock grandmaster skills at lvl 10 or even lvl 40. The way the current system is going, you can only unlock 30 points at lvl 60 – so the GM points would be at 60.

What they are trying to do is prevent kitten builds, I have done it myself when the game started, I had a build with only 14 pnts in one trait, missing the idea of the next trait. The are simplifying the system and at the same time, making it easier to retrait.

I find no negatives and all the benefits of this situation.

Dusty, I can understand why you’d think that and if I wasn’t reading and researching as much as I have I probably would be of the same opinion as you (especially given you’re almost certainly a longer player than me with my lowbies and only using my credit card a few times for gems) . However as you can see at their post they wrote “Starting with this feature pack, new characters will unlock the adept tier at level 30, the master tier at level 60, and the grandmaster tier at level 80.”. Previously, Grandmaster unlocked at 60 but if they go ahead it will be at 80, Dusty.

As for people making uneducated builds I see two solutions based on these questions:
1. How do people learn best? How do babies learn? Restricting options or allowing experimentation? Being told how to walk or letting them try it but in a way they don’t have disastrous consequences? I believe allowing experimentation like trying to walk, free and easy retraiting is excellent and the right way, while on the other hand restricting experimentation, preventing any type of attempts to walk until “the right age” / level or even locking the baby into a rail system where only the “correct” walking procedure will be allowed, is detrimental and not “true” learning. Let players experiment with traits earlier when their minds are still open to their concept of the game rather than waiting till they are 30 to learn how to walk.

2. When a teacher or parent should give guidance, not take control, so why not simply have a popup when one is about to trait in a very inefficient way? That way they know and learn and can even get different build tips on their class warrior, ranger, whatever. Also, who says that it’s an accident? What if someone chooses to trait strangely because they know the downsides but have a special purpose? What about the mere idea of choice and freedom? Is every hero perfect? Don’t quirks also add to uniqueness? Not everyone’s style choices are perfect, but I rather have people have freedom than a few carbon clones of “perfection”.

Greater than all that however is my nagging and tearful sense of loss having my trait power, my choices cut down early during the part of the game I value most – my personal story (and playing with others personal stories while low and still some challenge). From the Orders everyone’s story is more alike and level 26-30 is when the Order is chosen. I’m just less me without traits, with less choices and I even have to wonder why my Order would want someone with no valuable traits? Much less players and parties for early dungeons and even some later dungeons if they’re giving so few trait points even after level 30 until I get 2 at level 66. This sincerely depresses me. A friend showed me the game and it’s weapon system wasn’t what made me excited, but it’s trait system did from early. That same night I bought the game. Now it appears part of what I bought, that content, is gone for so long and not in the part I enjoy playing, with multiple low characters, is tragic to me.

Someone said something along the lines of we shouldn’t be complaining, there are Experience Scrolls. That hurts my heart. Why would I want to skip the most compelling part of the game for me or at least make the personal story a breeze by doing it at that level. I tried with a friend during “The Commander” storyline and a scary amount of guards popped up and I thought we were in for a real challenge. Essentially one spell and they all disappeared… apparently the personal story does not scale well. That wasn’t fun. Isn’t this game supposed to be fun?

I’m very sad that my options are being taken away, it’s not what I saw when I bought the game but I understand the truth too: It take a very big person to admit what they’re doing may not be the best thing. That a person or an organization can be wrong. ArenaNet would be a very special organization indeed if they changed the low level trait removal at this point.

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Arenanet must’ve sold enough boxes, because they are trying hard to discourage new players from joining.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

So much blablabla about low levels benefiting from traits at level 10-30. BS. Pure and utter BS. The stat boosts from traits aside (which are matched or exceeded by minor runes), the actual traits you gain are next to useless because the stats your character has are that low. The traits are truly capitalized on when your character has far more stats. That doesnt happen at the low levels because gear has a single stat, usually single digit at that.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Also remember that you don’t actually get the trait you want at lv 40, all major traits will have to be unlocked individually through content, probably dungeon, you might have to do 4-5 TA paths, or maybe even to get one major trait or maybe you have to activate certain event inside certain dungeon or open world to get certain condition for the trait you want.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

so AC becomes allot easier?

They could just as easily lock you out of higher tier traits and skills depending on how down-leveled you are.

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

I no longer have the motivation to create another toon.

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!