Please drop a nuke on Orr.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

I’ve played so many MMOs and a lot of them had really crappy PvE. Warhammer comes to mind. Age of Conan wasn’t really fun either. Yet in all of my experience I’ve never been as frustrated as I get when I enter Orr and try to move around. The next two areas are OK but the Straits of Devastation just SUCKS. Constantly being slowed, pulled back, knocked back, sunk.

I thought it was some sort of transit system at first. Complimentary “Hey, why walk when you can fly” service. This is my 5th character I will be getting to 80. I’ve just had enough. So, very, very, very tired of it. I’ve never seen a more miserable set of mobs. It entirely betrays the feel of the zone.

Orr looks like this crazy place, ground zero on zombie hell, and turns out that all of the minions are one trick ponies whose only talent is to somehow throw an axe and summon it back, along with your butt every 10 seconds. The fighting doesn’t feel epic, the monsters aren’t special. I don’t feel like I’m invading a continent held by an evil dragon. I feel like I’m invading the Capital of Ankle-Biter Kingdom.

I want to love the zone but I can’t. The artwork, the beauty and how well captured the devastation actually is immediately becomes lost on the 5th pull back.

Oh, speaking of absurdities though. I found in Harathi Hinterlands a mob that has a knock back which keeps you down longer than it cools down. So I got hit. And then hit. And hit even five more times until I went from full health to nearly downed. And that was far more pleasant than any one fight I’ve had in Orr.

Drop a nuke on it. Whatever crawls out of the radiated sludge should be able to be fierce without having to rely on constantly taking control of my character away from me. That isn’t hard, that is just down right annoying. Nuke Orr.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

I agree, I really wish there were someway to travel without aggro’ing everything around you.

(edited by BroScientist.9875)

Posted by: MangoMan.3218

MangoMan.3218

Would traveling with a large group help? I’m level 60-something, and therefor of course have never been to Orr, but would that be something you can do to avoid annoyance?

Just vanquishing the hate. | Ziios, TC
http://www.youtube.com/MangoMiner

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Would traveling with a large group help? I’m level 60-something, and therefor of course have never been to Orr, but would that be something you can do to avoid annoyance?

Cursed Shores you can’t move an inch without “Everyone! Come” horde of zombies descends upon you. Even the water is flooded with zombies. Don’t even think about going afk for a minute either. More zombies than Raccoon City, which has already been nuked.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Raehvyn.4530

In that you’d clear out the mobs faster. However since event nerfs there aren’t really any zergs running around. Maybe on Cursed Shores but not in Straits. So that isn’t really an option.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Agreed. Screw Orr, the worst high level one ever. I just craft my character’s from 70 to 80 to avoid that place lol. It’d be better if they decreased the amount of mobs in that zone by a lot. Maybe they should think more quality over quantity.

Raehvyn.4530

Not to mention the respawn timers are jacked on high so there is nothing you can do to prevent that horde of zombies you just killed from coming back and killing you. On a fun little note too, they stopped paying attention to my decoy. Yep. They don’t even LOOK at my clones before charging me. >.>

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

next patch is to nuke orr because it will be obsoleted by new content.

Raehvyn.4530

Agreed. Screw Orr, the worst high level one ever. I just craft my character’s from 70 to 80 to avoid that place lol. It’d be better if they decreased the amount of mobs in that zone by a lot. Maybe they should think more quality over quantity.

Higher hitpoints, stronger hits, tricks moves to avoid, and maybe shorted lived knock downs could improve the zone. This CC stuff is just artificial difficulty. Maybe you’re able to dodge one of the many, many CCs but you’re bound to just be overwhelmed by numbers alone.

I agree. Cull the number down, improve the AI, and for the love of furry kittens please stop the CC madness. ;_;

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Try using Order of Whispers Spy Kit, makes traveling solo much easier.

I think the point of that place is to make us hate the risen, hate the idea of them taking over Tyria, hate them so much we want to wipe them off the face of the planet.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

You realize that if they gave us a nuke option it would require 10,000 of each T6 mat, a billion various lodestones, and detonator that’s RNG but can only be rolled on in the forge if you supply 1000 T6 mats split into the four forge slots.

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

You realize that if they gave us a nuke option it would require 10,000 of each T6 mat, a billion various lodestones, and detonator that’s RNG but can only be rolled on in the forge if you supply 1000 T6 mats split into the four forge slots.

and if it did nuke Orr… we’d have those resources in an hour.

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

Raehvyn.4530

And then you have to sacrifice the first born of a Gorgon precisely six seconds after midnight Friday the 13th.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I’m still laughing from the title… and agreed, Orr is one of the most anti-fun zones in any game I’ve ever played. It needs a redesign – way less annoying, more rewarding.

Posted by: Puddin Cheeks.8539

Puddin Cheeks.8539

Orr is even worse than Kaineng City area in factions and that is saying something. I’m strictly going on an aesthetics opinion there. As far as the pulls and stuff that is part of the game, but that stupid snapping jaw skill and sound needs to be sent to Mars with a robot or something. Go snatch and grab some martians!

- Puddin Cheeks [W]
- [EA] Elephant Ambush
- DragonBrand since 8/25/12

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

The title of the thread made me laugh so hard haha. But I agree with the post

edit: The entire post made me laugh out loud at work. kitten you dude haha. But you are correct.

Ankle biter kingdom..hahahahaha.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

(edited by cesmode.4257)

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

Just wait until the xmas event when undead karka invade… Clack Clack Clack Everyone Come!

The problem I have with Orr, and to some extent Lost Shores, is the events run way too long and the rewards don’t make up for the effort required to do anything. That and I play on Kaineng which means needing to solo everything since there aren’t any other players.

I love the Fractal dungeons. They are fun, social, the content is made for the number of players who show up. There’s also great incentive to run fractals and progress, too.

I think it’d help if world vets and champs were updated so that they had much longer spawn timers, required 5 and 25 people respectively, and had loot tables that made players want to hunt them. It’d also help if event chains in the high level zones were buffed… but seeing as how they just got nerfed, maybe ANet doesn’t want us to play in the high level PvE zones?

cesmode.4257

I think it’d help if world vets and champs were updated so that they had much longer spawn timers, required 5 and 25 people respectively, and had loot tables that made players want to hunt them.

BAMs from TERA. (oops did I mention that game on these forums? )Monster hunting… Its a great idea. I would DEEEEEFINATELY partake in that..trying to solo vet and champs, if the loot tables made it worth the 5-10 minute fight.

BAM hunting in Tera is/was awsome. Normally it took two or three people at least to take one down. Unless you were REALLY good. Solo it sometimes took upward 15 minutes. Rewards werent fantastic, but the fights themselves made it worthwhile because of the true action combat system.

GW2 has a less interactive combat system, imo, but I think that they could do something similar here. There is a dodging system, so put it to the test with these things.

Great idea.

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

putting on flame kittenant jacket

I don’t have problems moving around Orr. As zones go, I kind of like Orr…. Loved Straits for a long time, but Malchor’s Leap has really grown on me.

Now, I’m not saying I can move around with my Map screen up, and some times you have to smack things around a little… (not every mob, or even close, but some times, you need to kill some trash really quick to move on.)

Mobility skills are a must…. mobility is it’s own form of survivability…. and anything that lets you break agro is handy on those occasions you get caught… but if you pay attention, just moving around isn’t that rough.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Raehvyn.4530

Just wait until the xmas event when undead karka invade… Clack Clack Clack _Everyone Come!

No, Citizen Snips can go to the burning abyss.

Good that you like Fractals, they seemed fun and I’ve been in a few. Never was interested to run more. Anyways, seems they’re super rewarding compared to actively trying to do anything in Orr. Oh, and finding an Arah group is almost impossible so running the Orr dungeon which was actually fun is impossible unless you get into speed run 1st boss runs.

Orr has potential. Instead they nerfed the events, ramped up the frustration levels, and released the Fractals like they were Posidon letting lose the kraken and sure enough everyone ran the hell out of those zones right into the fractals. I shall sound off with my favorite quote.

Risen are awesome! – Said no one, ever.

Raehvyn.4530

I don’t have problems moving around Orr. As zones go, I kind of like Orr…. Loved Straits for a long time, but Malchor’s Leap has really grown on me.

Now, I’m not saying I can move around with my Map screen up, and some times you have to smack things around a little… (not every mob, or even close, but some times, you need to kill some trash really quick to move on.)

Mobility skills are a must…. mobility is it’s own form of survivability…. and anything that lets you break agro is handy on those occasions you get caught… but if you pay attention, just moving around isn’t that rough.

Ok. First off, you’re right. It isn’t a zone to navigate with the map on. I can respect that because that is how it is supposed to be. I’d be disappointed if it were just a Hello Kitty simulator.

Have you ever -tried- to do -anything-? Skill points or anything? You can kill all the mobs you’d like and then you turn around and they’re back. Might as well give them party hats and alcohol, they’re like the failed frat boys of college, everywhere you don’t want them to be.

Quite frankly I had the same thoughts as you. Then I leveled up a bunch of alts. Do Orr three or four times and see if you’ve still got those googly eyes for the mobs.

I’m going to need Prozac because of that zone.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

second the OP.

especially the insane re-spawn speed of the mobs

Posted by: Ballast.7125

Ballast.7125

Agreed, nuke it.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

If that option came up I would re download the game just to contribute to that Nuke Orr fund. It was way overboard and the CC was unhealthy and irritating. Not hard in any way just poor mechanics.
With 0 loot now – plinx/shelt/pent dead and nerfed what point other than exploration is there a reason to go? Dont have the temples under control +more CC.
Way cool -make you work for it – lol.

Nuke it and then nuke it again to make sure no CC survived.
Then put in challenging mobs not chincy cheese on appropriate timers since everyone will be doing whatever dungeon they release for the next bunch of ascend gear.

Raehvyn.4530

This thread is getting a lot more momentum than I thought it would. It is good to share our opinions of Orr, and hopefully someone reading the thread will take that into consideration. Artificial difficulty doesn’t add anything at all. Adding challenging mobs would be a smart move.

Take the giants for instance. They’re challenging and drop mini mobs. They don’t need to CC you and while you’re dodging their grubs and what not you feel like one wrong move will cost you your life.

Currently, one wrong move in Orr is like bordering the Superman at Six Flags while severely hung over. You’re whirling and flying and being shoved in so many directions you’re likely to get sick all over.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I guess I am the freak that likes Orr?
I like the mobs, I like the DE’s and no harts -yay
it makes for much more intense game play.
I also like the architecture.
I like the whole zombie army thing it makes sense to me.
flame suit deployed

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

I’ve never had much problem with the CC in Orr. I routinely walk into a group of three or four (sometimes plus a veteran), give myself stability, and go to town. I don’t think the mob density is too high, this is Zhaitan’s doorstep afterall, but I agree wholeheartedly that the respawn timer is too quick. Even being able to lolstomp groups of risen, they still respawn before I can finish communing with a skill point.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

You nuke Orr in the 75ish priory story. Satisfying, but sadly not lasting.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Orr? Such vivid imaginations you guys have!

Everyone knows nothing exists South of Fort Trinity.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Groober.1329

Groober.1329

So…you could say it is ORRful? Yes, no, oh well.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

More zombies than Raccoon City, which has already been nuked.

There is the problem a single nuke isnt enough

That said it doesnt seem to be all of Orr but more the eastern half, once you get all the way points opend up things are a lot easier.

Unless your alone in th zone and the zombies are contesting every waypoint.

Attachments:

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Orr should be an hard zone. But for now it’s just an place full of mobs that agro us everywherethat are full of HP.

And there’s the balance again: Hard/Fun and Hard/Annoying, i’m afraid the second option is taking place in Orr.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I hated Orr. After seeing the dev’s answer to Orr hate (Southsun), I like Orr.

Posted by: PolarApe.9351

PolarApe.9351

I just got to the near-80 and 80 content.

It’s really really terrible. It’s obvious they spent all their time polishing the introductory and early level content because that’s what hooks the new players, and what most players will all see.

It’s a shame when you go from fun and interesting and challenging to annoying, boring, and delete-your-character levels of frustrating.

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

I used to hate Orr, but then they released Southsun Cove. Now I only dislike Orr and hate Southsun Cove.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Raehvyn.4530

I guess I am the freak that likes Orr?
I like the mobs, I like the DE’s and no harts -yay
it makes for much more intense game play.
I also like the architecture.
I like the whole zombie army thing it makes sense to me.
flame suit deployed

I am not here to flame you, my friend.

No one disputes the DEs and the lack of harts. What you’re missing is the point entirely. Nothing in Orr adds to intense game play. It -makes- it seem harder than it really is using parlor tricks and none of the many ways that difficulty can be implimented and control of the character remain in the player’s hands. I want what you want. I want intense game play. I want to walk into Orr and feel like I’m there to kick the kitten end of a Titan. Except, what I get is dead person surfing via knock back pull forward. It sucks.

Posted by: Draeka.5941

Draeka.5941

I’d love to see them acknowledge the Personal Story and allow, via their live team, us to reclaim entire parts of the Orr map. They could then get infested with pirates and/or other high-lvl critters to keep up the lvl 80 aspect of it. But if we kill the big Z, and ANET keeps talking about a living, breathing world, why not expand Orr southward with new maps while “reclaiming” the current ones?

At least we’d get new maps to get yanked around on…. =p

Raehvyn.4530

I hated Orr. After seeing the dev’s answer to Orr hate (Southsun), I like Orr.

Supply link mate?

Raehvyn.4530

I used to hate Orr, but then they released Southsun Cove. Now I only dislike Orr and hate Southsun Cove.

You, my friend, nailed it. Except I hate Southsun so much I don’t even acknowledge it hehee

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

It’s not even hard, it’s just annoying. Everything in Orr (and other high-level zones, to be honest, but Orr is the worst – Southsun Cove is just totally devoid of personality) seems designed with one goal: making players waste time.

And while I could sort of understand that in a game with a monthly subscription, I have no idea how this horrible design made its way into GW2. I guess some developers’ mentality is stuck in “WoW mode”.

There’s no point in even killing the monsters, because they respawn after 10 or 15 seconds. There’s no sense of achievement or progress. You’re not merely killing identical (or nearly identical) mobs over and over and over gain. You’re actually killing the same mobs over and over again, because they respawn before you’ve even finished looting their previous incarnation.

Throw in the frequent leashing and HP resetting (often happening right in the middle of a fight, or followed by the mob running back to you), or the way mobs get “special protection” in the form of invisible walls that prevent players from throwing them off ledges, etc. (but player characters can get thrown off, so we know the game engine can handle the falls), and you just get the feeling that some of Arena Net’s designers really don’t understand the concept of “fun”, and can’t even distinguish “challenging” from “repetitive and annoying”.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

Posted by: Myst.9182

Myst.9182

/ agree

Hate that place. My first character was a glass cannon Elementalist. Now you can just imagine how fun that was…

Now I know better, but even with better builds and playing other classes, I still hate the zone. It’s just… irritating. Zombies that run faster than you even with swiftness, hitting you in the back while u kite them. Constantly pulling more because they are so close together. Then they summon more on top of that… sigh.

Let the Zombies have the island for all I care…

cesmode.4257

Ok. First off, you’re right. It isn’t a zone to navigate with the map on. I can respect that because that is how it is supposed to be. I’d be disappointed if it were just a Hello Kitty simulator.

Have you ever -tried- to do -anything-? Skill points or anything? You can kill all the mobs you’d like and then you turn around and they’re back. Might as well give them party hats and alcohol, they’re like the failed frat boys of college, everywhere you don’t want them to be.

Quite frankly I had the same thoughts as you. Then I leveled up a bunch of alts. Do Orr three or four times and see if you’ve still got those googly eyes for the mobs.

Dude you are hilarious

cesmode.4257

Sticky this thread

CassieGold.7460

Most fun I ever had in Orr was taking a group down to Malchor’s Leap to do every event in the zone. Spent hours, did Lyssa, did Dwayna, killed Giant Risen Chickens and the Eye of Zaitan, hit WPs, SPs, POIs, whatever people wanted. Got the mother of all zergs rolling around a zone most people don’t want to play on and had a great time. This was, of course, months after I got my 100% completion, but I just wanted to go have fun in Orr.

I find Orr to be a great place to hold open world guild events because I can get a group of more than 5 and everyone has a good time. (Okay, some times that means a group of 7, but it’s still more than the 5 I can take to a dungeon…. and no, I don’t have a 500 person mega-guild…. just 20-30 odd people who have been playing together since GW1 or who are IRL friends / co-workers and the like, very casual group.)

Doing things in Orr alone can be rough. I think it should be. Some WPs and SPs you just have to make some friends and go do…. On one hand, that’s pretty unfortunate if you’re trying to just log on and get some zone completion done w/o worrying about being social. I know…. it’s an MMO…. but some times, we all feel a little humbug, and Orr is not friendly to getting everything done solo, and asking in /map isn’t always productive. On the other hand…. zone completion in Orr rewards Exotics, so I don’t mind it being harder to finish…. I think Risk = Reward here.

As to alts…. I will admit that I’m nervous about how my Mesmer will do in Orr…. at lvl 40, I’m not feeling like the play style I prefer with my Mes will lend well to Orr. My two lvl 80s do fine in Orr, and I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing how my Ele does in Orr…. but she’s all of lvl 13, so I’ve got a while.

I think Orr can be a great deal of fun, depending on what you like doing.

Posted by: Longtomsilver.8031

Longtomsilver.8031

I like orr, it forces me to use some survival skills i usually do not use.

Every confession have several anti control skills, orr give them some usefulness.

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

Cursed Shores you can’t move an inch without “Everyone! Come” horde of zombies descends upon you.

I have trouble aggroing more than two guys at a time without running around like a madman.

I would just run around like a madman more, but it looks really stupid, and also the potshots that Risen get in while I do that (mostly that chomp-chomp-chomp thing) do add up quickly, so it’s more expedient to kill a couple at a time than to seek out a big battle.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

And not one kitten was given by the staff that day…

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

There’s this function, I believe it’s bound to ‘v’ key by default. I allows you to skip a lot of portion of that nightmare without being cc’ed. I honestly recommend everyone to use it, it makes life so much easier.

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Most fun I ever had in Orr was taking a group down to Malchor’s Leap to do every event in the zone.

I would be happy to find one event there which isn’t stuck, on my server.

I actually like the look of Malchor’s Leap, and I think some areas have great atmosphere (like the part of the ocean when you dive and everything goes black, you can’t even tell which side is up). But there are usually 2 or 3 players in the whole area, practically every event is stuck with some unresponsive NPCs or bugged progress bars, and every mob respawns 10 seconds after you kill it, so there is absolutely no sense of accomplishment.

- Al Zheimer

CassieGold.7460

Most fun I ever had in Orr was taking a group down to Malchor’s Leap to do every event in the zone.

I would be happy to find one event there which isn’t stuck, on my server.

I actually like the look of Malchor’s Leap, and I think some areas have great atmosphere (like the part of the ocean when you dive and everything goes black, you can’t even tell which side is up). But there are usually 2 or 3 players in the whole area, practically every event is stuck with some unresponsive NPCs or bugged progress bars, and every mob respawns 10 seconds after you kill it, so there is absolutely no sense of accomplishment.

I had a lengthy post over in the DE sub forum on a Malchor’s Leap thread about doing DEs in Leap, but I’ll be honest, I’ve found DEs in Leap to be far less bugged than DEs in Straits or Shore. It’s part of why I planned a guild event in Leap. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I’m pretty agressive when I play in Leap…. I talk a LOT in /map, and work hard to get ad-hoc groups coordinated enough to do the Lyssa chain because I find the challenge so much fun.

I feel the same way about the Balthazar event in Straits… one of the most fun events in the game, and I’ve been seriously bummed that it’s been stuck for so long, I’m really hoping that the DEC 3 patch resolved the event a bit better.

I dunno, maybe I’m just nuts, but all in all, I would like to see more zones like Orr…. would love to see a Lvl 80 Charr zone getting seriously bombarded by Flame Legion, or a lvl 80 Asura Zone that’s neck deep in inquest and golems….