Please fix day and night

Please fix day and night

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Legend of Rogue.5394

Legend of Rogue.5394

Love to see a legit night time across all time zones…. Some weapons and armors all jave special effects, be nice to see them

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You get both across all time zones.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Day_and_night

Please fix day and night

Legend of Rogue.5394

I mean really dark low light moon etc. Seems everywhere is day time

Please fix day and night

Legend of Rogue.5394

I must be going blind

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I must be going blind

Nah it’s not you, it has always been like this and it could be better…….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Please fix day and night

Legend of Rogue.5394

This is awful nightime lol. Im talking pitch black moon light

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

the shame on this pitiful issue is, ANet shows us since several years, that they are able to design places with pitchblack enviroments, the game has places, where it is so dark, that you can’t see a thing if you have no source of light with you to illuminate your path for you.

And then theres this pathetic night system since day one, which is far beyong being “dark” at all, where you wish yourself as player, why the hell can’t this game have such dark nights as like in Dragons Dogma for example, so that you really need in some places a torch like flames of Kryta to be able to see better.

Or some kind of mastery needed (“Cats Eyes”) to be able to become better at seeing in the dark to the point, that the darkness is not so much of a problem for you anymore.
They have the technology to make the nights much darker, but they willingly don’t use it to improve their night system, thats the real shame.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Please fix day and night

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Because some love pitchblack night doesnt mean everyone does. But I must say that in more occassions than not it is really hard to tell the difference between night and day. And when its useful to know because of events being night and day (not verdant brink there it is obvious) i feel often compelled to just wiki it instead of letting the game tell it what time ingame nighttime is.

Also, you can make it alot darker if you turn your Gamma down. It could be a cool feature to automatically turn gamma down when its night ingame. It gets pretty dark if your gamma is low. But that is mostly a workaround.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Please fix day and night

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

this is how day and night cycle should be : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEjkewCktc

GW2 day and night cycle is meh…….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Please fix day and night

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I’d love it if we got an update to have a proper nighttime across Tyria, having an actual dark nighttime like Dragons Dogma and Skyrim etc would be great! Really changes the atmosphere of things, and makes the games actually feel different as you play. Weather it’s pitch black and our characters have a lamp or just very dark with moonlight, either would be brilliant!

As an ele it would be quite satisfying to see my fireballs glow in the dark and light the way into the distance xD Also a lot of weapon & armour effects would really get a chance to shine at night.

At the moment we have daytime & daytime, it’s barely noticeable the difference between them.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Yeah nightime sux in GW2 ,its worse i ever seen in any game,you can hardly tell a difference between day and night but Anet wont fix this.This topic was on forums few times already but nothing changed.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

I really like this idea, though I feel it might disadvantage some classes who don’t have light sources. Playing with a pitch dark screen with only your glow-in-the-dark hair to light the way likely wouldn’t be fun for anyone.

I wouldn’t mind night being a little more noticable though – perhaps a total eclipse could make for a cool map mechanic, like sandstorms and snowstorms?

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

This was noted as far back as the 2012 release. We know the engine is visually capable of darker nights just fine, but how it looks on many maps now is just ugh… When I spent time in doric trying to do the spirit logger thing, I had literally no idea when it was night. The sky is sometimes darker, but the terrain is still indicating daytime. Night in GW2 is like a dull day with some overcast.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

One of the reason Dragon’s Dogma is my favourite game OF ALL TIME!… is because of the lighting. Night is super intense, terrifying, and just downright stressful.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I agree that there needs to be more contrast between day and night.

There is some incredibly beautiful places that would be amazing with lighting effects at night. DR, LA, and The Grove would all be beautiful if lights from Businesses and houses in DR/LA were allowed to shine in a darker environment. Same with the glowing plants in The Grove.

Other places would be much more suspenseful and would be more fun in the dark. Can you imagine darker combat in Orr and HoT?

The day night contrast has been one of my biggest disappointments since the game started.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Because some love pitchblack night doesnt mean everyone does.

This. Night could indeed be a bit darker than it currently is, but not much. Pitchblack or anything in that direction is an absolute no-go, because it ruins gameplay for many while satisfying the RP or whatever wishes of a few.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

To be honest I kind of like the Night’s as they are now, simply because I like seeing where I’m going.

It also fits since there’s not many lights out and about in the world that would ruin your character’s night vision.

Plus GW2 doesn’t really lend itself well to dark nights like Skyrim etc. do.
In Skyrim, night time is awesome because you can sneak around and actually use the darkness as a tool. There’s nothing like that in GW2.

Now all that said, if ANet introduced moon-phases where the night is darker when it’s closer to the New Moon phase, that’d actually be pretty neat and immersive.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

It’d be nice if they would add a moon cycles in Tyria. That way some periods would be darker than others. They could even trigger certain events on the darkest periods. Players have to run around lighting torches along paths and roads. They could make it where creatures eyes shine in the dark.

Please fix day and night

Dawdler.8521

It’d be nice if they would add a moon cycles in Tyria. That way some periods would be darker than others. They could even trigger certain events on the darkest periods. Players have to run around lighting torches along paths and roads. They could make it where creatures eyes shine in the dark.

And you could make it even more awesome by bringing out different and stronger mobs at night away from the roads.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

I’m not sure why people expect it to be darker. This isn’t nightfall or anything.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

I am 150% with the thread creator. The nights in GW2 are way too bright. If the colour temperature would not be forced to cold and the ambient sound would not change, I could not tell the difference.

In WoW they had a patch a couple of months ago (actually it was just an announcement I read on a MMO website) they want to make nights darker. I also think so.

In general, this can be done so easily by changing gamma a bit and/or add constrat in general. Since this game has sepia, warm, cold and low-saturation colour modes layered on top of the default ingame graphics (that’s why healthbar suddenly change colours when entering a sand storm etc.) I don’t see the big problem there. As a big and long-time fan of classic MS-DOS DooM, I also created many, many maps for it. And even if you set brigthness to 0, you still have an eerie, low light “aura” around you. Just add this aura around the player character(s), too, but not as if they are glowing, just your personal vision. So in the distance, you can see a dark forest and the top of the trees instead of something that looks like 7:00 on a cloudy day..

Also, GW2 has many “random” light sources where no torches are or in caves. Just toggle those to zero or down by 70% or whatever, so dark corners are eventually dark corners..

Bright blue full-moon sceneries are NOT night, also they don’t last long compared to daytimes…

Attachments:

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Penguin.1345

Penguin.1345

One reason ton ot have darker nights are the character models themselves. In pitch black areas the skin glows, or at least isnt affected by the dark.

http://i.imgur.com/1WfncNk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p5a2rg5.jpg

First picture taken in story instance in Fields of ruin the latter in the pirate maze in LA

If they fixed this and made skin affected by lighting i would love me some darker nights. At first i had to google if there even was a day/night cycle to begin with. The short cycle is lovely and allows me to see both day and night scenery within reasonable time. Also having an actual sun/moon movement would be lovely as well. Maybe even going as far as having the shadows come from the sun.

This is the only time lapse ive been able to find with the moon in it. As can be seen the moon pops up, stays in the same place for a while then goes down. Perhaps actual rotation could be added? Or maybe the world of tyria has a really weird moon-orbit making it appear as if… nah i think they just hastily added one.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Wait – there’s a nighttime in GW2? I thought it was only night in certain dungeons.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I wouldn’t like to see night pitch black, but certainly I would like it to be obvious that it’s night. I never have a sense of night time in this game, and it’s something I really miss. Other games have definite night but don’t make it so dark you can’t see where you’re going. Light sources like torches etc. light up and look beautiful and inviting. It would really enhance the armor and weapons that have light effects.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

this is how day and night cycle should be : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEjkewCktc

GW2 day and night cycle is meh…….

Second Life has a good cycle too. Plus you can change atmospheric effects client-side as needed (a sepia sunset may look awesome in one area but just ugly somewhere else). GW2 seems to go between midday and afternoon most of the time so when I encounter somewhere that does actual night in this game (like VB or bitterfrost) I wind up doing a double take.

Please fix day and night

Menadena.7482

Because some love pitchblack night doesnt mean everyone does.

This. Night could indeed be a bit darker than it currently is, but not much. Pitchblack or anything in that direction is an absolute no-go, because it ruins gameplay for many while satisfying the RP or whatever wishes of a few.

This is why I would prefer to see it done like in SL. Have the actual cycle on the server, as well as a default setup (noon=full light, midnight=full[or near] dark). Then in the prefs you would be able to override those defaults. Want noon lighting all the time and everywhere? No problem! Want the normal cycle everwhere but Orr which will be some spooky lighting most of the time? Sure! While it would take some programming all the actual lighting/shading would be part of the graphics processing on your client.

Please fix day and night

Menadena.7482

Wait – there’s a nighttime in GW2? I thought it was only night in certain dungeons.

Yep. For the longest time I was puzzled by people talking about the glow around sylvari. It just was always too bright in he world for me to see unless I was specifically looking for the effect.

(edited by Menadena.7482)

Please fix day and night

Orpheal.8263

I wouldn’t like to see night pitch black, but certainly I would like it to be obvious that it’s night. I never have a sense of night time in this game, and it’s something I really miss. Other games have definite night but don’t make it so dark you can’t see where you’re going. Light sources like torches etc. light up and look beautiful and inviting. It would really enhance the armor and weapons that have light effects.

its not a qiestion about who does like it and who doesn’t its a freaking question of it simply being an OPTION that needs to be there. those which want to have then very dark nights, can get them through activating this options.

Those scarecats which don’t like to have very dark nights can keep this option then deactive and keep they cheap wannabe nights the game has since day 1

It isn#t so as if a very dark night would anyhow affect the gameplay of GW2 in any game mode.

In Pvp exist no nights, therte you have always your same looking maps with no day/night cycle playing in any of these maps a gameplay reliant role at all.

Same with WvW, the maps are always the same looking, no day7night cycle system…

The only game mode that woudl be affected by this feature is PvE and as long Anet dosn’t connect this feature to other features, like specific enemies appearing only at pitchblack nights, events appearign only when its very dark, no one wll be negatively affected if you activate it, nor if you keep that dark mode deactive.

The only difference will be, if you have it active, then you will be much more immersed by seeing real nights in the game and not these cheap fake nights anymore, you will get to points in the game, that will be so dark, that you need to have a source of light with you to be able to see something, be it either a torch, be it your own skilly that you make environmentally usage of to enlight something (throw a fireball at somethign that will start to catch fire and enlight for you the room as long it burns)

Or you collect wood and prepare a BONFIRE… hey you remember, the game actually has already kidn of the feature of BONFIRES, but currently only as a cash cow item.. how sad, but hey, its easy to turn and reinvent a cash cow item quickly into an actually useful feature you now??
There are many ways how each class could even individually make themself light…

Eles use their own Fire Magic to enlight stuff ..
Engineers use simply an Oil Lamp Dragons Dogma Style…
Rangers make Bonfires
Thieves have their Cat Eyes as masters of shadows which they need to learn and master
Mesmers cast simply an illusionary magical light sphere that Skyrim Style
Necromancers cast an illuminating Minion that follows them around (Will O Wisps)
Warriors can use Torches
Guardians create a shining Spirit Weapon
Revenants just banish the darkness around them with their powers of the mists by creatign a bright aura around themself

Turn these individual light surces into individual class masteries as “Darkness Discovery” and it would be a nice alternative method of making it work, if Anet would not want to make it just an activatable/deactivatle option and instead somethign that is more depthful and part of individual player progression instead.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

As a person with imperfect vision, I am glad our night times are not too dark. If they made night times darker I would need extra brightness which would be a pain in the butt to change back at daytime. Ugh. If they ever going to change this (probably not), then the amount of darkness we get during night should be optional at the graphics settings or something. In fact, I would like an option for 100% daytime, it’s better for my eyes.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the problem is that in GW2 there is no real reason for it to be darker or better yet, if players need a light source to see it becomes really complicated.
if we take a game like skyrim you can have really dark nights, nights so dark that you need to have a torch just to see where you are.
however, in GW2 only a small handful professions can hold a torch and they are used as a weapon, this makes it really difficult for players of other professions to have a light source.

i am all for darker nights but they have to add some other things to balance this out, an auto skill that illuminates the surroundings or a spell that has it’s own skill slot so you don’t get punished just to get a light working.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

We could always unlock a “torch” mastery, which lights the area around the character in dark spaces.

Please fix day and night

Orpheal.8263

the problem is that in GW2 there is no real reason for it to be darker or better yet, if players need a light source to see it becomes really complicated.
if we take a game like skyrim you can have really dark nights, nights so dark that you need to have a torch just to see where you are.
however, in GW2 only a small handful professions can hold a torch and they are used as a weapon, this makes it really difficult for players of other professions to have a light source.

i am all for darker nights but they have to add some other things to balance this out, an auto skill that illuminates the surroundings or a spell that has it’s own skill slot so you don’t get punished just to get a light working.

Use your brain… there is a torch that can be used by everyone >.< Flames of Kryta if it really must be that kind of k.i.s.s. solution that has to be used.

And like mentioned about, if anet would want to make it a bit more complex, but class individual, every class can easily get also a personal mastery for Darkness Discoveries that has to be learned step by step, or as other alternative k.i.s.s. solution theres always the option of making it instead an activatable option in the graphics menu where everyone could be able to decide for themself ,if they want to really have true dark nights and not these fake nights…

However, the last alternative would work only, as long Anet has no interactive plans for improving the day/night cycle with other things that require of you having these true dark nights as that would be counterproductive for such a feature to make it first optional and then add together with it other thigns that need you to use the true dark nights.

Personally I would find true dark nights and getting light ressources in form of character progression to be the best solution.
Because NOBODY is already from begin on perfect at night, a character should learn first howe to get on a class individual source of light and make that source over time more effective (say max 3 tiers of mastery ranks)

In case of personal masteries we talk here now about “Talents” which characters hsould automatically earn once having reached level 80 and gettign enough exp for a theoretical level up, you earn from that point on then also Talent Points, which can then be used to improve your personal masteries that are class individual and characterbound and not like the classic mastery system accountbound.

A Thief could have then these 3 stages of “Cat Eyes”

Tier 1: Beginner = allows Thieves to see 25% better in very Dark Areas
Tier 2: Master = allows Thieves to see 50% better in very Dark Areas
Tier 3: Grandmaster = allows Thieves to see 75% better in very Dark Areas

A Ranger instead makes bonfires and these 3 tiers could affect the Bonfire Duration and reduce the amount of wood needed to create them and the intensity of the light source, but have therefore a strogner light source, thefore that their ability requires ressources to make them, while the thief just has better eyes than the Ranger as a master of shadows

That would be an improvement for character progression, one that would make sense if Anet starts giving very dark places in the game and general true dark nights more importance for GW2.

An other simple k.i.s.s. solition has mastery would it be to give simple in form of an accountbound mastery all characters a new magical light skill to create a magical light orb either at your place, or to shoot it slowly away in front of you (skyrim style), but that kind of solution would be naturally alot lesser individual and kind of borign, if everyone would start to use the same simple skill just to get a source of light, when theres already the Flames of Kryta that could be fixed and used already by everyone as well.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Use your brain… there is a torch that can be used by everyone >.< Flames of Kryta if it really must be that kind of k.i.s.s. solution that has to be used.

Flames of Kryta isnt available anymore so its not everyone.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Please fix day and night

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

so much for “use your brain” >_<

Please fix day and night

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Worst thing is that Anet just don’t want to do it,this is not something that is hard to make,that takes like ages to make.Its simple and fast to do but they just don’t care.Night’s in GW2 sux.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

kitten dark nights in games. It’s what drove me away from ESO.

When I play a game, I want to be able to see what I’m doing. MMOs don’t have the luxury of controlling the day/night cycle.

Games like Skyrim can get away with dark nights because daytime is just a button press away. As someone with limited playtime, I don’t want what time I’m allowed to play to be restricted by in-game visibility issues.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Nemo.5609

Nemo.5609

The day/night cycle does matter for certain sigils. Making it easier to tell whether it’s night without having Eternity/Ascalonian weapons would be an excellent suggestion. I’m not saying night should be pitch black, but is should be obvious.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Please fix day and night

Dawdler.8521

When I play a game, I want to be able to see what I’m doing. MMOs don’t have the luxury of controlling the day/night cycle.

Games like Skyrim can get away with dark nights because daytime is just a button press away. As someone with limited playtime, I don’t want what time I’m allowed to play to be restricted by in-game visibility issues.

You do know that nights in GW2 only last 40 minutes, right? Thats nothing. Hell they could even shorten the night to 30 minutes and extend dusk/dawn from 5 to 10 mins.

Why do everyone assume pitch black night? Dark_er_ nights would be nice instead of the constant max light full moon setting. 20% darker. Maybe 30% darker. Not 9000% black so you need to dualwield torches just to see kitten 1m in front.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I’ve been saying this for a long time as well. The environment needs some help. Night needs to be much darker. I honestly can’t tell if it’s night or day a lot of the times cause it’s so bright at night. I have to look at the sky to see if there are stars or not. And the moon is blinding bright. Dusk and dawn need to be more evident too. In a real sunrise or sunset the ambient color temperature is much warmer. Very orangey tint to everything. In this game it’s simply a luminosity thing with it getting brighter and darker (albeit barely). Also why are all the shadows of objects static? They don’t move with the sun or moon. And lastly in this game both the moon and sun rise out of the south, come into the middle of the sky and then stop, then they go back down the same direction. Like what?! It should go from 1 side to the other. Not stop in the middle then go back.

Certified Gameaholic

Please fix day and night

Orpheal.8263

so much for “use your brain” >_<

Use your brain further, give me a reason why Anet shouldn’t be able to instantly reimplement Flames of Kryta and fix this irrelevant tiny problem directly huh??

What does Anet stop actually to just add a new achievement, that gives the people again a way to obtain the FoK.

Only because it is “currently” not receiveable anymore, because the based upon that item achievement was so far a one time thing under the living story, doesn’t mean that this needs to stay “permanently” so like this forever.

It even doesn’t have to be the FoK again exactly; it also can end up closed as a cloned FoK with a new item code that comes with a new achievement and a completely new name for that universal useable utility torch that works as light source feature for the player instead of being a weapon item.

Anet could basically anytime whenever they want to do so implement a cloned FoK with a new achievement for that and name that cloned torch this time completely different, instead of Flames of Kryta" we could simply end up may be with something as simple as like “Magic Torch” – and it would work.

The point is, what I want to say… peopel need to stop here to see instantly everything directly first negatively and list up the things that not exist…
The fact is, it is completely irrelevant what “currently” doesn’t exist anymore, whats relevant and important, is – what potentially CAN EXIST and what potentially CAN WORK AS A SOLUTION QUICKLY and in that case is the revival of the FoK as maybe a renamed renewed regainable item for everyone the quickest k.i.s.s-solution that Anet can do.

Please fix day and night

Menadena.7482

As a person with imperfect vision, I am glad our night times are not too dark. If they made night times darker I would need extra brightness which would be a pain in the butt to change back at daytime. Ugh. If they ever going to change this (probably not), then the amount of darkness we get during night should be optional at the graphics settings or something. In fact, I would like an option for 100% daytime, it’s better for my eyes.

Yes, I once made an offhand comment that starting a fight in the darker area of the bitterfrost woods at night probably was not always the best idea. I got the ‘get gud’ comment even when I pointed out that the reason could be a player’s vision. Which is why I would want to see the cycle itself continue to be implemented server-side but how that cycle is interpreted to the environmental model (standard light cycle, consistent lighting, variations by zone) is something that is selected client-side.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

You do know that nights in GW2 only last 40 minutes, right? Thats nothing. Hell they could even shorten the night to 30 minutes and extend dusk/dawn from 5 to 10 mins.

Why do everyone assume pitch black night? Dark_er_ nights would be nice instead of the constant max light full moon setting. 20% darker. Maybe 30% darker. Not 9000% black so you need to dualwield torches just to see kitten 1m in front.

Because people are calling for dark/darker nights. Frankly, I’m glad that the game has Day and Night carry the same visibility, with the difference being whether the lighting is warm or cool.

Open-world games like MMOs that make nights dark enough that they interfere with visibility and gameplay are pure trash.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Have a setting in options called Classic Night Mode. Classic Night Mode is what we have now for nights. When selected, nights show as they do now. When not selected, it’s however dark ANet makes them.

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure something like Flames of Kryta would be desirable. Having to drop the light source to fight in the dark, then open inventory to see again might not be best.

It is, sometimes, difficult to distinguish day from night (not to mention dusk/dawn) in-game.

Please fix day and night

Dawdler.8521

I’m not sure something like Flames of Kryta would be desirable. Having to drop the light source to fight in the dark, then open inventory to see again might not be best.

It is, sometimes, difficult to distinguish day from night (not to mention dusk/dawn) in-game.

Why does everyone get hung up on the silly flames of kryta? We got freakin magic and technology.

A light drone that follow you around or a ball of light hovering above your head. A skritt mini with a torch running around next to you. Or a backpack with a quaggan that light some fireworks and shoot it up every second to light the area, whatever. They could literally build that into the game and make a new gemstore/skin item (the basic ones is free as usual).

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

We already have such an item as a backpack. I was only responding to the suggestion of using the Flames of Kryta (or any other such bundle/environmental item).

Please fix day and night

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

We could always unlock a “torch” mastery, which lights the area around the character in dark spaces.

In LOTRO, there is a toggle for your character to have a glow around them that lights up the immediate area. I’m sure Anet could think of something. I do miss in-game night time, and there is so much in this game that could be enhanced by more darkness.