Please give the option to hide mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

In the new expansion please give the option to hide mounts. Also give the option for us to do the story and get to places without using them. This is a win win people that want their mounts get them and the ones that dont won’t have to.
I was extremely excited the the expansion until I learned about the mounts. If this problem would be fixed I would be all abored the hype train again. I’m pretty sure a lot of the people that are unhappy with the mounts probably feel the same way.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

Mounts are mandatory. Without them you will not be able to reach certain locations or complete some objectives. You must have them.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Last Warrior Lord.7248

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Dont hate yet the mounts are more useful tham most mmos. Most mmos you just ride around. On gw2 you do that and use others still like the one that leaps into battle to start an epic fight. Give it time you might like it.

xikira.3264

I have played other ones and did not like it. I loved gw2 for not falling into the mount crowd. Gw2 never had mounts and it just ruins the immersion. I get it makes people excited and happy that’s why I’m not asking for them to be removed. But I feel that we should all have a chance to enjoy the get how we like it. That is why I gave those ideas it’s a win win for everyone.

Potion Sella

Last Warrior Lord.7248

I have played other ones and did not like it. I loved gw2 for not falling into the mount crowd. Gw2 never had mounts and it just ruins the immersion. I get it makes people excited and happy that’s why I’m not asking for them to be removed. But I feel that we should all have a chance to enjoy the get how we like it. That is why I gave those ideas it’s a win win for everyone.

Than don’t buy it and ignore it. Cause people wanted mounts for 5 years. So they did for this pack and not just that. They made mounts way more useful than other mmos and far as I know can be wrong but mounts are DYE ABLE woot!

(edited by Last Warrior Lord.7248)

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

From what I gather the Mounts are identical, equal to, and inseparable from, the mastery system. The game did not become Perfect World because of gliding (and there were many doomsayers about this feature too back then), and it won’t become WoW with mounts, because they are strictly tools of the mastery system, think of them precisely as something akin to the special action buttons.

Besides, I’d love the option to hide the fabulous infusions before we even start talking about hiding masteries.

xikira.3264

Yall are excited for the mounts I get it but keep in mind there are a lot of people that dont like mounts why punish them by forcing mounts on them? What is so wrong about having the option to make our game mount free so we can still enjoy it and yall can still have yalls mounts and enjoy it? The game shouldn’t be stuck behind a mechanism like this.

Potion Sella

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I don’t think it’s a good idea to hide mounts. It’d look far more jarring to see people bouncing 100 feet into the air on invisible mounts or Jesus-gliding over large bodies of water.

Even if you don’t like mounts, you can’t just ignore the environment just because you have a vendetta against mounts. These aren’t monkeys pulling a rickshaw or balloon animals tied to your limbs to “float” you about type mounts, they’re organic to the world. You’ll see NPCs inside towns riding them, you’ll see skimmers flying over quicksand pits and bunny hoppers perched on cliff faces and such. If you literally never want to see a mount in GW2, there’s still WvW and PvP.

But as someone who was indifferent to mounts when announced, I’m actually quite hyped for what I’ve seen of them. Why not just give them a chance rather than aggressively guarding a zone of comfort?

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

The game will have mounts. Hiding them is akin to sticking your head in the sand. Plus they are needed supposedly for hard to reach places, if not just as needed as gliding is in certain cases. Possibly like gliding over desolation sulfur with the mantaray thing or jumping large chasms with the raptor. Or up with the bunnykangaroo.

Of course, there’s always the option of not buying the expansion, I suppose. But if you want to do the story, and immerse yourself in it you basically have no choice but to accept the mounts if they are as needed as previous masteries.

Regardless of whether you’re for or against or in between about mounts.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Zehnchu.4985

Zehnchu.4985

From what I gather the Mounts are identical, equal to, and inseparable from, the achievements. The game did not become Perfect World because of gliding (and there were many doomsayers about this feature too back then), and it won’t become WoW with mounts, because they are strictly tools of the achievements system, think of them precisely as something akin to the special action buttons.

Besides, I’d love the option to hide the fabulous infusions before we even start talking about hiding masteries.

RAWR!!!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’m not a big fan of mounts because they ironically end up slow down gameplay and make it tedious. I dislike going through the time consuming summoning animation over and over and getting off and on all the time, games generally have no waypoint systems because they rather we spend years traveling by mount instead, being knocked off of them/having them die is annoying, having to pull them out constantly after every battle is annoying, spending 40 years leveling them and baby sitting them (BDO, ugh) sucks~ and whatever other junk that MMOs are plagued with when it comes to mounts.
Anet always tries to break away from what makes other MMOs suck while they’re all copypasta-ing each other and I find their implementation of mounts here on top of what we already have a lot more interesting so I’m fine with it. Hiding them would be weird, they’d be riding invisible creatures… There’ll probably be a option that ‘genericifies’ them for performance like the option for character models though.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I personally wouldn’t mind having the ability to basically make my mount ‘invisible’ while I’m riding it, just let me run along the ground, but still have their abilities, so I’m…bionic, I guess? Although, not really sure how that would work with the manta ray gliding over water.

But, like hiding sheathed weapons and not letting ‘anything’ other than actual combat make you unsheathe weapons (I’m looking at you, some harvesting tools and world objects!), I doubt we’ll see it.

At the very least, hopefully a hotkey or quick way to summon stow mounts when we don’t want them. I’m rather fond of my characters and would rather not have them buried behind saddles and big furry/scaly/slimy things.

But I don’t mind ‘seeing’ other people’s mounts, or the concept of mounts, I’d just rather get the boosts they give but still be able to sprint along on the ground with my camera settings where I like them.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I’d be happy if mounts were not permitted inside towns and jump puzzles. (Gliders were disabled for most jump puzzles, so I’m confident they’ll do the same for mounts. ) Towns are cluttered and densely packed around services. It can get mildly annoying trying to look at the bank or crafting station when 15 people with 80 foot wingspans and 346743356 .5 stacked auras are demanding your attention. Giving them mounts in these crowded areas would be a nightmare.

I think making them available at all outside the new expansion would be pointless, since traveling in core Tyria is not even remotely an issue. But at least in non-city/settlement maps, people don’t cluster as often and there’s room to get around visual obstructions.

I’ve always been against the ridiculous “GW2 NEEEEEEEEDDDSSSSSssssss mounts!!!” arguments, because…we haven’t needed them. It’s purely 100% cosmetic (So far). But I’m not against mounts overall. There’s nothing wrong with wanting something pretty to sit on. Like the tastefully small broom and carpet. I just hope it doesn’t get out of control like huge backpieces and auras did.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m not really excited for mounts, and it’s not a feature I’ve wanted in GW2. That being said, I don’t feel like I’m being punished by the addition of mounts. It’s just a new mechanic I’ll have to use and get used to.

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Yall are excited for the mounts I get it but keep in mind there are a lot of people that dont like mounts why punish them by forcing mounts on them? What is so wrong about having the option to make our game mount free so we can still enjoy it and yall can still have yalls mounts and enjoy it? The game shouldn’t be stuck behind a mechanism like this.

What’s wrong with mounts? And you can only get them from POF and gates behide mastery points. Not like you can buy mounts from the store like most mmos….. and the mounts gw2 new xpack seems more useful than other mmos. It’s going to be beautiful. I dont care for mounts myself befor but the way these mounts work in gw2 is different than it be mmos if played. Dont bash it yet you have not try it yet. Once you have come back and qq than. You just judging cause you had be experience in other mmos I assume. Just wait and don’t be salty just uet.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I want people without mounts to be invisible.
I also want all SAB related items to be invisible.
And Heralds with their flashy purple disks invisible too.
I also don’t want birds to fly too close to my toon,so make them invisible too.
Bunny ears— invisible.
Pony shooting weapons-invisible.
And since I don’t like walking in games,I’d like to be able to go everywhere without moving(kinda like the angry salad dragon).
It’s a win win,and a win.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Last Warrior Lord.7248

I’d be happy if mounts were not permitted inside towns and jump puzzles. (Gliders were disabled for most jump puzzles, so I’m confident they’ll do the same for mounts. ) Towns are cluttered and densely packed around services. It can get mildly annoying trying to look at the bank or crafting station when 15 people with 80 foot wingspans and 346743356 .5 stacked auras are demanding your attention. Giving them mounts in these crowded areas would be a nightmare.

I think making them available at all outside the new expansion would be pointless, since traveling in core Tyria is not even remotely an issue. But at least in non-city/settlement maps, people don’t cluster as often and there’s room to get around visual obstructions.

I’ve always been against the ridiculous “GW2 NEEEEEEEEDDDSSSSSssssss mounts!!!” arguments, because…we haven’t needed them. It’s purely 100% cosmetic (So far). But I’m not against mounts overall. There’s nothing wrong with wanting something pretty to sit on. Like the tastefully small broom and carpet. I just hope it doesn’t get out of control like huge backpieces and auras did.

They will disable mounts for JPs.
Mounts can be used in core maps and the clutter from mounts won’t have the impact like animations which is way worst.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ve never been interested in mounts — to me, it’s like telling us our characters have a broken leg and must carry a crutch to get around. Plus, in core Tyria (and largely in HoT & LS3 zones), not even NPCs use ‘mounts’.

Well, that ship has sailed. ANet has decided to include mounts, perhaps for the gameplay, perhaps to cater to the traditional MMO fan. For better or worse, they are in the game.

Given that they are, let’s get a chance to see what they are like before asking for ANet to alter them in a major way. There’s a preview coming up in under two weeks; take a look and then decide how awful they are (or awesome — the video preview looked like something I could (ahem) get behind).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I want people without mounts to be invisible.
I also want all SAB related items to be invisible.
And Heralds with their flashy purple disks invisible too.
I also don’t want birds to fly too close to my toon,so make them invisible too.
Bunny ears— invisible.
Pony shooting weapons-invisible.
And since I don’t like walking in games,I’d like to be able to go everywhere without moving(kinda like the angry salad dragon).
It’s a win win,and a win.

I want legendary armour to be invisible

Posted by: Ravenflame.5890

Ravenflame.5890

Gw2 never had mounts and it just ruins the immersion.

What immersion exactly? The world has always had beasts of burden in it, so why does going to an area where the preferred mode of travelling is by these new mounts break your immersion? I’m not being a jerk, I’m genuinely curious.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I can accept Mounts in expansion maps. (I still despise them). But it would give a distinction and not kill old maps.

However tyria and ESPECIALLY TOWNS, Mounts are (for some ppl) massively immersion breaking. Since they didn’t dare to decide to not allow mounts outside of elona, it’s now a task Anet forced up to themself to execute: hide mounts for player who dislike them (and there’s a topic with 2000+ response, most veterans proven to dislike mounts, most players that want mounts don’t actually play atm). That should be proof enough that this is a priority.

Also Mike O’brien. Do you even play your own game anymore? Seems lately you became more a of a number cruncher then a ‘i love this game and i’ll do everything for it’ kind of man. You made everything since gw1 (sort off). You should realize how immersion breaking mounts are. You didn’t even limit them to Elona… I can only conclude it’s for monetizing (wich is sad, it’s only second expansion yet, and there’s big traces of panic in gw2 for how they move on to attract players.)

What about expansion nr 3? There is no ‘a lot of players want X’ and is easy to code anymore. Basically this should have been the ‘hard to pull off, but we can do it anyway’ expansion (like Eye of the north). It’s now already the ‘easy to code, lot of players like’ it expansion, like the panda expansion for wow. And look how that turned out. I know 4 people who dispiced that expansion. I’m afraid for expansion 3 by just the introduction of mounts. Cause mounts smells like desperation (jump on bandwagon, scared that distinction is not a good thing).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Ravenflame.5890

However tyria and ESPECIALLY TOWNS, Mounts are (for some ppl) massively immersion breaking.

How is it breaking your immersion?

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

And while they are at it might as well give us the option to hide glider…

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

hide mounts for player who dislike them (and there’s a topic with 2000+ response, most veterans proven to dislike mounts, most players that want mounts don’t actually play atm).

…soooo you’re saying if they added mounts those players that like mounts but aren’t currently playing would start playing thereby increasing the player base? ;D

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Tyria is a place of human(oids), fashion, trade and guilds. The people (villagers and player alike) are close to each other. Mounts (both in real life and in game), create a large distance between people, more ‘to business’ rather then chitchat. ‘I have no time, my mount is almost tired give me those apples’. Someone on food is never gonna act that way.

Also anyone in resting position, would normally sit (or stand). Guess what a lot of mount addicts will do? Sit on their mounts while afk. And afk player on a mount… if that’s not immersion breaking then i don’t know what is.

Mounts are bigger then human’s. They overrule their fasion/looks. It’s cute to look at a ‘pet’ for a while, but after at time, your own character is what matters, and seeing how it compares to other people. With mounts we will rarely see what armor someone else wears. To fast/chaotic movement, or just to big mount to see. Now in LA everyone that uses an outfit, i can say wich one it is. It’s a cool thing to chat about. Armor/fashion/outfits will take a backseat if everyone and their mother spams/keeps sitting on, mounts. And gw2 has always been: about customizeing character. In a real world with lot of horses. The people on it, look alike (boring). In gw2 (in a lesser way) this will also happen.

The sound (wich i love to play with, in gw2 on) will be immersion breaked. Everywhere grawling raptors. Immersion breaking.

Magic. Tyria relies on it. Tyria got used to it. Look at how much golem’s there are, look at waypoints. Gw2 is a very ‘magical’ game (wich i love). Nothing against a map, that’s more rough, and needs mounts. But keep tyria where it is: a magical land, where people rely on magic, over creatures. creatures kill the immersion of magic. They make magic feel pointless, while every battle/story clearly shows, magic is much more important then mounts (see battle against zhaitan, airhsip requirement wich use magic). No mount that carries you to zhaitan. Same for gliding. Seeing everying ‘creatures’ = magic removing aspect of gw2 = immersion killing of the always magical way of life in tyria. Now gw2 will be a zoo. Will be a pokemon stall. That is not what guild wars ever has been about.

I can go on, but wathever. Mount people seem to be one minded ‘mounts is good, and people that don’t like them have no place here or elsewhere’. I guess it’s easy for them to say.

And it’s not so much that I don’t want people to be happy. I know a lot of people like mounts, more then their boy/girlfriend. And I’m glad they will get it. It’s just Anet knew clearly (by forums) that Mounts have a strong opposition. And they took two decisions that make no sense: they are usefull in tyra/towns + Mount dislikers cannot hide them, keep the immersion alive.

For instance a large fire elemental bird, that learned to fly just above ground and carry you. Now that would be tyria ‘non immersion’ breaking imo. As Tyra thrives on magic. A beast is opposite. I don’t get how Mike o’brien and his employee’s could have looked so much past it. But then again, the time employee’s (apart from a few) play the game 20 hours a week seems over, so they lost feeling with game anyway.

/age 14800 hours without mounts, something to muster. Cause soon, i will probably play much less. 20k seemed easy but is now further away then ever. Good thing i Bought the witcher 3, last week at half price.

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

However tyria and ESPECIALLY TOWNS, Mounts are (for some ppl) massively immersion breaking.

As a long time WoW player i can come up with a few things that will ruin the original GW2 feel forever.

Here’s an example;

Picture Rata Sum on a busy day… all the clumps of players at several favorite and/or often visited places. I am sure you can come up with a few.

Now put all those players in those places on the huge mounts i saw in the preview.

There you go. Have fun with your new mounts and peeep those that actually enjoyed a game with no mount harassement.

Unless Anet is going to bar mounted players from a reasonably wide range of locations (auto-dismount), this game has entered the cheap bling mount harassment era.

I would actually say that mounts can be a nice addition to this game but without said corrections you can rest assured that people will go out of their way to mess it up for as much players as possible.

I for one, am going to wait until i see some footage of actual gameplay with proof of the above measures taken. If mounted players are allowed everywhere i will not only not buy but also uninstall the rest.

I’ve seen enough ‘mailbox harassment’ to last me a lifetime, thank you very much.

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

I can go on, but wathever. Mount people seem to be one minded ‘mounts is good, and people that don’t like them have no place here or elsewhere’. I guess it’s easy for them to say.

I’ve been pretty set against mounts ever since I first saw the request thread with so many ppl asking, and I’ve posted before saying I disagree with them being added, mainly because I didn’t want to see giant pink horns riding unicorns or death knights riding flaming skeletal horses in this game. I support Anets addition of mounts because that isn’t what this is. It tues in well with the new zone and offers a new mechanic. This addition is nowhere near immersion breaking for me as seeing a giant pink norm with a handlebar mustache and the moot go running by, and has honestly got me excited for them enough to say that I was wrong, there is a good way to add mounts to this game.

As for one mindedness, honestly I see that on both sides of this argument, and every argument on forums for that matter, because there will always be those who disagree with something and think their way is the only way, this is true for those who want mounts, and those that don’t.

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

Why don’t we try things before automatically assuming that we hate them?

Ravenflame.5890

Snip

Thanks for explaining your point of view! I have no real opinion either way, but then I’m curious how you feel about cows, chickens, and the tons of other fantastic, but otherwise beastly beasts? I just don’t get the beef (hehe) at the mounts thing, but I would agree that I would rather they not be allowed in towns. In regards to your stance on people AFKing on mounts, you must have not ridden a horse much have you? People will sit around on their horses all the time. That would totally hurt my behind, but people do it.

Phoebe Ascension.8437

We know Gliders are selling less then expected. We know mounts are huge potential sale (see other games). How do you know for certain the 4 mastery monsters are the only ones, and will get no skin-overs in cash shop?

As for mindless: I know compromise is the most important thing.

Mounts in elona? not my cup of tea, but their jump skills seem fun, i will use them, and it fits the map/lore. They also will not be chaotic because size of map.

Mounts in HoT maps? No good. Immersion breaking (mounts would never succesfull walk over all those small gaps/pathways. I get fro some ppl it would be fun, but that add hide option for other people (not here now, fail from anet).

Mounts in tyra? Mobs density in tyra is generally very low, waypoints very dense, and most mounts would be badly wounded by all the traps in the warzones. And we would have… Raptors and the others where they don’t belong (so big) as mounts. In fact, why even bother with complex jumping puzzle anti mount coding? Just don’t allow in tyria. In fact in chronological part of story, we couldn’t mount then, why do it now? Elona is later, so you later get to use it, not earlier.

Mounts in La? To many fails. If you go in city you stable. If you go in building you stable. But anet will never disable mounts in towns, to please the twitch people that love mounts and show off in towns.

Mounts in mistlock sanctuary? Totally out of whack. No lore can ever explain that. And my guess is Anet will still allow it somehow.

First one: no problem with. Second one would be hard to swallow, but guess what, i can offer living story 3 maps (6), as mounts could fit sort of there. Third + fourth: if mount lovers get this, this is a very one sided (mindless) deal. And let’s face it, they woudln’t miss mounts if you don’t give it to them in la/mistlock sanctuary. So it would be a perfect compromise. Almost everyone happy, nobody super annoyed. So tyria is the big questionmark (in the compromise). If i would ‘offer it on a plate’, that would mean the mount lovers still get the best deal by longshot, by only being disabled in pass area’s/cities. But guess what even this (not so good for Mount chaos disliking people) not so good compromise, was to hard to pull off for Anet, they had to complete corner one group of people in gw2 and say ‘suck it up, ow wait, we might loose expansion money on them’.

But where’s Arenanet in this diplomatic situations? Nowhere. They choose eggs for their money.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

As a long time WoW player i can come up with a few things that will ruin the original GW2 feel forever.

Here’s an example;

Picture Rata Sum on a busy day… all the clumps of players at several favorite and/or often visited places. I am sure you can come up with a few.

Now put all those players in those places on the huge mounts i saw in the preview.

There you go. Have fun with your new mounts and peeep those that actually enjoyed a game with no mount harassement.

Unless Anet is going to bar mounted players from a reasonably wide range of locations (auto-dismount), this game has entered the cheap bling mount harassment era.

I would actually say that mounts can be a nice addition to this game but without said corrections you can rest assured that people will go out of their way to mess it up for as much players as possible.

I for one, am going to wait until i see some footage of actual gameplay with proof of the above measures taken. If mounted players are allowed everywhere i will not only not buy but also uninstall the rest.

I’ve seen enough ‘mailbox harassment’ to last me a lifetime, thank you very much.

The legendary gear in this game has been doing that for ages now and not just them basic aura stacking in general.

You use WoW but Wps are akin to flying in WoW in that everyone is teleporting past each other and never looking each other in the face. Ground mounts will have people actually running the roads and seeing other players in the open world on the roads going back and forth on the new maps and choosing not to port in some of the old maps is actually a really big push in the games immersion. The game has a paths and roads and it’s about time people got an incentive to use those roads. How great would it be to if we got two seated mounts like in WoW and could taxi friends and guildies around.

But yeah if your worried about mounts in towns the auras and legendary backpacks sunk that ship ages ago. Heck I’d choose mounts in towns a hundred times over if the mount canceled out a players auras.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

But where’s Arenanet in this diplomatic situations? Nowhere. They choose eggs for their money.

Why anet!?!? Why did you choose eggs?!? Don’t you know honey is better? It rhymes with money for Balthazar’s sake!

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

FFXIV forces you to get off your mount and you can’t get on your mount in certain areas they know lots of people will be. I could imagine the same thing with GW2. You can’t get on your mount and you would be automatically dismounted should you enter Lion’s Arch or any racial city.

Should you be allowed to have mounts in Core Tyria or HoT maps. They haven’t said you can, which may mean they haven’t decided yet.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

In the new expansion please give the option to hide mounts. Also give the option for us to do the story and get to places without using them. This is a win win people that want their mounts get them and the ones that dont won’t have to.
I was extremely excited the the expansion until I learned about the mounts. If this problem would be fixed I would be all abored the hype train again. I’m pretty sure a lot of the people that are unhappy with the mounts probably feel the same way.

No.

15 Characters.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Mounts (both in real life and in game), create a large distance between people,

This is the exact opposite of what actually happened in the real world.

The addition of non-foot travel reduced the effective distance between people. Further innovation in the non-foot travel field, vehicles for example, continue this trend.

My grandparents live about 40 miles from me. In the days of foot travel only I would probably never have seen them again. In the modern era I can see them every day if I choose.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

You found the perfect balance yourself and yet you still complain. The solution is simple, if you have to use it to cross a valley do so and then dismount and proceed on foot. No one will force you to be on it 100% of the time. If you took the time to watch the video you would know by now that mounts have only one spell, the second you use it you are dismounted by default. The maps are 2 to 2.5 times the size or regular Tyrian maps, if you don’t use them, enjoy the walk it’s a long way to Elona.

Posted by: Avelione.6075

Avelione.6075

I like to walk and explore on foot, especially if the maps are so huuge as they say I cannot wait to explore the land on foot. But I figure mounts will be necessary for some parts. I think you can just try to walk? :]

Equality for the bulge! ^_^

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

FFXIV forces you to get off your mount and you can’t get on your mount in certain areas they know lots of people will be. I could imagine the same thing with GW2. You can’t get on your mount and you would be automatically dismounted should you enter Lion’s Arch or any racial city.

Should you be allowed to have mounts in Core Tyria or HoT maps. They haven’t said you can, which may mean they haven’t decided yet.

If you had watched the following show with Wooden Potato, you wouldn’t have made that misinformed reply, here’s the bottom line, mounts can go all over Tyria, just as gliding is, speaking of gliding it can also be used in the desert. Mounts have only one spell once used it dismount you so you can fight or rez then you are free to get back on
or proceed on foot.

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Here’s an example;

The legendary gear in this game has been doing that for ages now and not just them basic aura stacking in general.

You use WoW but Wps are akin to flying in WoW in that everyone is teleporting past each other and never looking each other in the face. Ground mounts will have people actually running the roads and seeing other players in the open world on the roads going back and forth on the new maps and choosing not to port in some of the old maps is actually a really big push in the games immersion. The game has a paths and roads and it’s about time people got an incentive to use those roads. How great would it be to if we got two seated mounts like in WoW and could taxi friends and guildies around.

But yeah if your worried about mounts in towns the auras and legendary backpacks sunk that ship ages ago. Heck I’d choose mounts in towns a hundred times over if the mount canceled out a players auras.

I’ve been playing WoW for 10+ years, up until 2 months ago. I know what i am talking about.

I tossed it all out the window and came here.

The non-existing mounts in GW2 were a massive relief to me, not to mention a way more chilled way of playing. Within mere months this game will be ‘WoW-a-fied’ and the fun will be over.

You don’t know what you got until you lose it, mark my words.

I had given myself a nice weekly budget of 10 euro to spend on this game. I stopped that also until i am sure that mounts are (at the very least) NOT usable in cities. No use investing in a game i don’t want to be in anymore in 2 months.

I honestly hope your romantic expectations will come true… but experience tells me otherwise.

No use in discussing it any further either. Time will have to tell i guess.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The non-existing mounts in GW2 were a massive relief to me, not to mention a way more chilled way of playing. Within mere months this game will be ‘WoW-a-fied’ and the fun will be over.

Imagine your line in the sand being mounts and not when Anet introduced raids or intentionally made BiS stats significantly more expensive and harder to obtain than other lesser gear.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Before this, I supported only one mount idea: A giant sloth that moved at walk speed.

However, these actually look good and they add something to the gameplay. They’re not just an overdone speed buff, and with everyone having access to the same ones, there’s only so much you can show off with them.

I do hope they make them unusable in the major core cities, and other important areas, but I’m sure they’re already considering that. I’m also hoping that they hide weapons and put you into non-combat mode while riding, so all the legendaries will be hidden/de-powered. If so, then the only way to show off all of your gear is to get OFF the mount, leaving the show-off players in the same state as current.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

hide mounts for player who dislike them (and there’s a topic with 2000+ response, most veterans proven to dislike mounts, most players that want mounts don’t actually play atm).

…soooo you’re saying if they added mounts those players that like mounts but aren’t currently playing would start playing thereby increasing the player base? ;D

Or current players that spend money in the gem store will decide to quit the game. I am going to play the preview weekend and if I think that mounts are deleterious to the game I won’t buy the expansion. I am not excited by the elite specialization for my main character, either, so it appears there’s nothing in it for me. And if I find mounts in tyria I might just quit playing altogether. I spend quite a bit of money in the gem store. Chasing players who do not currently spend any money to alienate those that do seems a stupid business strategy. It is like chasing two birds in the bush when you have one in your hand.

I am willing to give it a chance, who knows, maybe I will love it, but I am doubtful of that. And gliders are very different. They only show when you are actually flying.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

mounts don’t ruin the game. FLYING MOUNTS DO.

Take World of Warcraft as an example. The Devs over there regretted putting in flying mounts and have been trying to remove them at least at the beginning of every expansion since their introduction. They remove any sort of tension or danger when you can just fly away or hover over them, Its also hard to stop people exploring the world and gaining access to areas before you should. If Anet doesn’t make the same mistake by introducing flying mounts then it’ll be just fine.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

mounts don’t ruin the game. FLYING MOUNTS DO.

Take World of Warcraft as an example. The Devs over there regretted putting in flying mounts and have been trying to remove them at least at the beginning of every expansion since their introduction. They remove any sort of tension or danger when you can just fly away or hover over them, Its also hard to stop people exploring the world and gaining access to areas before you should. If Anet doesn’t make the same mistake by introducing flying mounts then it’ll be just fine.

Maps aren’t large enough and are loaded via isolated cells which is why we need to go through portals in little canyons to travel between maps.

Flying would be a waste since we can just TP for irrelevant fees and can’t even fly over the mountains bordering each map to get to another.

The hovering manta ray and gliding are likely as close as we will ever get.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If you had watched the following show with Wooden Potato, you wouldn’t have made that misinformed reply, here’s the bottom line, mounts can go all over Tyria, just as gliding is, speaking of gliding it can also be used in the desert. Mounts have only one spell once used it dismount you so you can fight or rez then you are free to get back on
or proceed on foot.

Had to work so didn’t watch either live and I find videos of people playing games to be boring, so I don’t actively seek them out.

And unless he was seen in Lion’s Arch or a racial city riding, then my comment isn’t as misinformed as you think. And I personally don’t care enough to go hunt down a video to watch to see if he does or doesn’t.

Leo G.4501

And afk player on a mount… if that’s not immersion breaking then i don’t know what is.

A player with gaudy sparkly pulsing auras all over the place, with nonsense flappy wings on their back and all kinds of footstep effects you can think of while taking all that and coloring it black. That’s immersion breaking for me but I’ve learned to live with the fact that people have bad taste.

… mount harassement…

And this is what is wrong with the worlds today. People don’t know the definition of harassment so everything becomes harassment.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Wait, isn’t there already an option to not see mounts by turning off the computer and going outside? Is this one of those working-as-intended things?

Leo G.4501

I had given myself a nice weekly budget of 10 euro to spend on this game. I stopped that also until i am sure that mounts are (at the very least) NOT usable in cities. No use investing in a game i don’t want to be in anymore in 2 months.

I honestly hope your romantic expectations will come true… but experience tells me otherwise.

Give Blade and Soul a try if you haven’t. I love the windwalking in that game. I think they’re getting a new class pretty soon too. Oh, and they don’t have mounts.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Give Blade and Soul a try if you haven’t. I love the windwalking in that game. I think they’re getting a new class pretty soon too. Oh, and they don’t have mounts.

They don’t have mounts…. yet. MuahahahahHAHAHAHAHAH!

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I don’t get how it is either. To me it is far more immersion breaking to imagine that Tyrian civilisation has existed for thousands of years and nobody thought of using animals for transport. Nah, the Charr have made tanks and there are airships and helecopters, the Asura came up with a frikken teleportation system but other than that, let’s just walk everywhere.