Please give the option to hide mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Japan tried to keep out gunpowdered weapons at one point. Now look where we are.

Horses became horse carriages and ultimately cars and while there are a few areas in each city that don’t allow cars, alot of the rest of a city does. There’s alot of reasons why mounts could be a thing within the cities.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic that people bring the new craze towards their homelands to show of what they have found. In fact, it would be immersion breaking if there were rules straigh away, even though the societies haven’t really interacted with eachother.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Well, yes, there have been mount talks before and I never bothered. Mostly because I couldnt imagine that Anet would give into the mount-crowd. Now everything is different and I just have to add my 2 cents: First, I have nothing against mounts in MMO’s in general. I can see the certain role of mounts in Elona and I understand Anets approach of including mounts into the mastery system. What really annoys me about mounts in GW2 is not the presence of mounts itself, but how people are going to use them. I have watched lots of MMO’s during the past years and in every single MMO with mounts, people are using them constantly, even in the most useless situations. If possible, they would even ride to the loo with them. :-P Mounts cluster all places in these MMO’s and they downgrade the games somehow. Turning them into a silly kindergarten, where there could be graphic beauty and depth.

Couldn’t have worded it better. I’m not against people using mounts (still dislike them), however, people will use them in such unnatural/unethical manner inside buildings, ultra thing pathways (that it would fall off) etc, that it will ‘graphically’ kill the crap out of the immersion of the game.

The immersion that isn’t there because teleporting devices?

Well, Waypoints are actually a canon thing. Had that whole bit during Season 2 about waypoints being attacked by tendrils.

That’s a self-defeating argument. These mounts are going to be explained in-story too, making them just as canon as waypoints according to your logic.

Well, yeah, they are.

My point is that both advance immersion, rather than breaking it.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

I have played other ones and did not like it. I loved gw2 for not falling into the mount crowd. Gw2 never had mounts and it just ruins the immersion. I get it makes people excited and happy that’s why I’m not asking for them to be removed. But I feel that we should all have a chance to enjoy the get how we like it. That is why I gave those ideas it’s a win win for everyone.

Really? Mounts are what are going to ruin the immersion? People have ridden things for transportation for thousands of years. If anything should ruin your immersion, it’s all the wings on people, or the sun glasses, or anything else that looks like real world clothing.

I can buy that people don’t like mounts because of clutter (I still hope they turn them off in cities), but the immersion argument has zero merit.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Gw2 never had mounts and it just ruins the immersion.

So did you never play HoT or did you just shut your brain off whenever you fought the frogs riding beetles or the Mordrem on their whateverthosewere?

Even GW1 had dwarves riding dolyaks and drakes and people rode atop giant turtles in Factions.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Yall are excited for the mounts I get it but keep in mind there are a lot of people that dont like mounts why punish them by forcing mounts on them? What is so wrong about having the option to make our game mount free so we can still enjoy it and yall can still have yalls mounts and enjoy it? The game shouldn’t be stuck behind a mechanism like this.

It’s not punishment if you don’t buy the Xpac.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

And there you are. I said in my post that i can live with mounts. Especially in Elona. Cause they make sense. They make story there. However, as WoodenPotatoes clearly said in the campaign vid: He likes that tyria and elona have a distinction. Tyria learned to rely on magic (helo there waypoint, helo no loophole). Elona learned to rely on mounts (creatures). End good al good not? But for the love of god they had to trample tyria wich is used to magic, not mounts. That is immersion breaking.

I have two (Edit: three) arguments against that.

First, waypoints cost money. That’s part of the lore behind them, you generally pay to use them. Mounts also cost money (upkeep, vet care, ect.), but maybe not as much as the waypoint system? I mean, if waypointing was cheaper, why would there be people transporting things by pack animal?

Second, we’ve seen some of those magical waypoints get torn down and smashed. Anyone trusting their lives to the waypoint system should pause and consider how that happened, why that happened, and that it might happen again. What happens if you’re mid-transit when some White Mantle or Flame Legion decide to smash the waypoint you’re headed to? Do you really want to risk it?

(Edit) Third, don’t forget that the maps are supposed to be bigger than what we see. We get just the highlights. It doesn’t take just five minutes to run across the Wayfarer Foothills, after all. When you increase the scale to “real” size, you’ll see that the waypoints are pretty far apart, even in the old zones. For someone walking, a beast that can deliver them right to their destination might be better than a magical box that teleports them a day’s walk away.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Well, yes, there have been mount talks before and I never bothered. Mostly because I couldnt imagine that Anet would give into the mount-crowd. Now everything is different and I just have to add my 2 cents: First, I have nothing against mounts in MMO’s in general. I can see the certain role of mounts in Elona and I understand Anets approach of including mounts into the mastery system. What really annoys me about mounts in GW2 is not the presence of mounts itself, but how people are going to use them. I have watched lots of MMO’s during the past years and in every single MMO with mounts, people are using them constantly, even in the most useless situations. If possible, they would even ride to the loo with them. :-P Mounts cluster all places in these MMO’s and they downgrade the games somehow. Turning them into a silly kindergarten, where there could be graphic beauty and depth.

Couldn’t have worded it better. I’m not against people using mounts (still dislike them), however, people will use them in such unnatural/unethical manner inside buildings, ultra thing pathways (that it would fall off) etc, that it will ‘graphically’ kill the crap out of the immersion of the game.

The immersion that isn’t there because teleporting devices?

Well, Waypoints are actually a canon thing. Had that whole bit during Season 2 about waypoints being attacked by tendrils.

That’s a self-defeating argument. These mounts are going to be explained in-story too, making them just as canon as waypoints according to your logic.

Well, yeah, they are.

My point is that both advance immersion, rather than breaking it.

My apologies. I misunderstood your point. I agree with it.

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

My immersion is also broken by how the second-most simplest weapon mankind has to offer, after the wooden club, the spear somehow doesn’t exist, but we made the mental leap to harpoons somehow…

the kitten are you talking about?
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spear