Please give us capes.. :c

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zero.5034

Zero.5034

Something has been bothering me for a long time now.. where are all the capes? I think having cape skins as possible back items would be amazing! We have so many different back packs and other things to attach to our backs, but no capes? I understand capes are kinda generic and what not but I feel like it’s something that’s desperately missing from the game.. Maybe a cape skin from the gem store, or maybe a cape that you could dye that’s given as a reward for 100% map completion? Just please give us capes! :c

TL;DR – wtb capes plz :c

Warden Streicher [AoS]

Zero.5034

Guild capes would be amazing too! =D

Warden Streicher [AoS]

Posted by: MuxyKillin.7036

MuxyKillin.7036

Zero.5034

:c that picture makes me a sad panda.

Warden Streicher [AoS]

MuxyKillin.7036

you know what else would make you a sad panda? An ettin grabbign hte end of the cape and twirling you throug hthe air only to smash you on the ground or after jumping off a JP to get the cape snagged by a vicious and menacing pebble just waiting to kill you or harpies grabbing the cape and flying off with you to do gods know what kinds of horrible horrible things to your soft underbelly! as such, capes are no good. <nod>

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

you know what else would make you a sad panda? An ettin grabbign hte end of the cape and twirling you throug hthe air only to smash you on the ground or after jumping off a JP to get the cape snagged by a vicious and menacing pebble just waiting to kill you or harpies grabbing the cape and flying off with you to do gods know what kinds of horrible horrible things to your soft underbelly! as such, capes are no good. <nod>

Giving the AI way too much credibility here… the game is not real. The engine even lacks some basic physics. It even lacks momentum (getting crippled or chilled while you are mid-jump… yeah no sense of momentum).

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

MuxyKillin.7036

i know i know but it’s just one point of view. Besdies why would you need capes with the sheer ammount of trenchcoats out there?i mean they’re kinda like capes, right? capes with sleeves, you know?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Thank you, Edna*

*If you’ve not seen The Incredibles, that won’t make sense

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Thank you, Edna*

*If you’ve not seen The Incredibles, that won’t make sense

Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids. November 15th of ’58! All was well, another day saved, when… his cape snagged on a missile fin!
Stratogale! April 23rd, ’57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!
Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!

Hehe…. yup, I got the reference.

If the AI could be made smart enough to use such things as capes (and even long hair) as weapons against us, I could see them as a determent. However, since such will never actually be implemented in the game (woo can you just see the steam coming out of some people’s ears in their anger?), I say bring on the capes! (Not that I’d ever display mine anyway)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Capes = clipping issues

Which is why you probably won’t see them. =/

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Capes require a LOT of physics coding to make them not look incredibly stupid, thus they are a high cost (to develop) cosmetic item which makes them a very low priority.

If you ever see capes, they will probably be gem store items in order to offset the expense incurred with making them.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

I like how you TLDR’d that small paragraph. Are people getting THAT lazy these days?

As far as capes go, I’d love to see them. I’ve always loved a good cloak. (The cloaks in WoW are nice) As long as they are designed differently than the GW1 guild capes. They were too short and just looked goofy. I want a long flowing cloak with a possible hood. Of course you could have the feature to hide it if you don’t like the look. It would go in your back slot, so you could either use existing back pieces or go with a cape.

The clipping issues on Charr would probably be tough to work on, but I’m sure they could figure something out.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Cauthon.1780

Cauthon.1780

Capes = clipping issues

charr = clipping issue

Back item = clipping issue

Half the equipment = clipping issue

They don’t seem to care, so why don’t they give us some kitten capes?

Saying that they don’t do it because of clipping issues makes no sense because the game already have clipping issues.

They don’t make them because they don’t kittening want to, i freaking love capes, capes makes you cool, capes makes you look into the horizon in an epic way, capes are classy, capes are misterious, capes are kitten…

GOD KNOWS WHY THEY CAN LIVE WITHOUT CAPES.

P.S i don’t kittening care EDNA, nobody’s gonna grab my COOL AMAZING kitten CAPE

Posted by: Cauthon.1780

Cauthon.1780

BTW Anet, this is like the 23748th beg for cape you get in this forum since you release the game so… at least consider selling a cape on the black lion. xD

Posted by: JakHammer.7094

JakHammer.7094

Yep, no capes made every player, including me, in my friends and family guild sad. Of course all 15 of them do not currently play anymore because of other issues, and I doubt if Capes alone would bring them back.

I personally would certainly pay gems in the store for just about any style of cape.

EDIT: Oh and as for Edna Mode, if Only we had her around here. Bulletproof suits, Fireproof suits, etc. Costumes with narrow inherent Super powers would be a nice addition to the game imo. But then as she says, “I used to design for Gods!”
After 3,431 hours across all accounts, with 2,511 on my main, the best I feel I have achieved is maybe Robin (1960’s version) or more likely, Bucky. So we don’t really deserve her attention. In every other game I have played this much, I found a character I could achieve that gave me a feeling of being a real game changing hero, but that will never happen here. By design. It’s OK since there are other things to compensate but . End edit.

I would prefer to buy gems and spend them on a BUG FIX donation coupon, to use in the Mystic Forge in place of MF stones, if they would just guarantee to use the proceeds of those gems spent to hire some BUG FIXERS. Or any other scheme that let us directly pay to support MORE BUG FIXES.

(edited by JakHammer.7094)

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

Also…. Think about the possibilities you’d have with dye coloring. If they were to add cloaks like you could get in WoW, with intricate designs, you could come up with some very cool dye combinations. It’d be fun for me anyway.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I would like capes or long flowing scarves or GS scabbards, though any kind of scabbard would probably be hard to do.

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

I would love guild capes as well, but this game is already plastered with clipping issues and awkward weapon/armor scaling depending on what race your character is.

You should visit the Game Bugs forums and see the stickied thread on clipping issues with armor, weapon, and character art. Towers of screenshots that pile month after month, not fixed. The most you could expect is a fix to head items, which would result in your character going bald. If they indeed added guild capes like in GW1 I wouldn’t be surprised if your weapons disappeared AND your character changed body types to support the cape, all automatic as soon as you equip it.

They say it’s because of the charr race, but really they just don’t care about any of the races’ problems when it comes to clipping. Capes would clip on more than just the charr.

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

I liked the Guild Capes from GW1 a lot more. I DISLIKE having to pick between my amazing chest piece or a guild tabard. I want both. Anyways it would be nice to have the OPTION for a cape, if was kinda silly when EVERYONE had one in GW1. Course you could always not show it but i wore mine with pride. This is going on the list!
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Player-Wanted-Add-Ons-Lankybird-s-List/first#post3692112

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

are u kiding me how they gona sell stupid backpakcs in the store if they give u this xD

Posted by: Arthos Ravron.3796

Arthos Ravron.3796

I tried doing giving some amateur thought on how it would be implemented.

The problem I think would be the collision-detection against the armor and actually placing the graphics when a collision is found.

Otherwise, the capes would look like cardboard.

And they’d only be client side probably (at least to other players with low graphics) to lessen hell on other PC’s.

Sorry if this sounds stupid. I don’t have much of any information on this.

Commander of FoW, Lieutenant of [AKP], and Proud Human and Guardian

“Humanity cannot grasp Utopia for it refuses to be worthy of it”

Posted by: Sumpfkraut.8970

Sumpfkraut.8970

Capes = clipping issues

It didn’t hinder them from including the coat-like medium chest pieces that routinely clip with some pants or boots.

For capes I’ll just wait for City of Titans. AND SO SHOULD YOU.

/em torch

Posted by: Odinius.9826

Odinius.9826

It really is time for capes imo, my ascended armor is screaming for one!
I understand that there are a lot of clipping issues, but I’ve come up with an idea that will eliminate most of the clipping issues although it will make the capes a bit less traditional.
This will be a nice option for the four humanoid races, and I hope they come up with something cool for all you Charr lovers.
Maybe add an option to stand upright like some of the Charr in EotN did?
Capes have to be divers enough that not every player walks around with the same one.
Would be nice if we could craft them or get them as special reward of the living story (like all other backitems)
Below is an example of what I mean, watch out for my superior drawing skills

Attachments:

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Just to maintain the W2CB (wings-to-capes balance) in the universe, I’m posting here to say that I don’t care about (clipping) capes which would cover 95% of my hero for 95% of time but I would pay for wings.

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

are u kiding me how they gona sell stupid backpakcs in the store if they give u this xD

/thread

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

Guild Backpacks > Guild Capes IMO.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Mazdan.2071

Mazdan.2071

If LOTRO can have cloaks with their archaic graphics; I don’t see why they can’t have them here. The cloaks in LOTRO really do add something to the character and look great.

Posted by: Craywulf.5793

Craywulf.5793

More than likely a clipping issue that probably degrades the aesthetics quality. In other words the amount of clipping you see already is probably the most tolerable they are willing to put up with. Any more clipping issues brought on by capes would simply make the game look cheap and poorly developed.

I like capes just like anyone else but not at cost of seeing too much clipping. There’s a certain graphical standard that GW2 has developed and I would hate to see it ruined by loads of clipping.

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

You guys are so funny. It’s a marketing strategy. Make you crave and desire for it before they put it on gem store for high price. =) Food taste best when you’re hungry.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Saying that they don’t do it because of clipping issues makes no sense because the game already have clipping issues.

Maybe if your roof’s on fire you shouldn’t go ahead and set the furniture alight?
Maybe that’s a bad analogy…
Just because they have clipping issues doesn’t mean it makes sense to add even more clipping issues.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I can just imagine now how capes would behave on a charr, especially while moving backwards. Having your own cape go flying through the middle of your body, basically. That, and they’d be enormous blanket-like flapping monstrosities on norn and charr both, clipping through their gigantic greatswords, shields, and backpacks in an impossible-to-ignore way..

Who knows how hilariously the thing might react during a dodge or other quick-movement animation.

(basing my cape-behavior speculation on how the things moved in Guild Wars 1, and this game uses the same base engine)

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

We have guild backpieces that are cape-like. We have many other backpieces we can wear. I dont see what the special deal is with capes.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

We have guild backpieces that are cape-like. We have many other backpieces we can wear. I dont see what the special deal is with capes.

Capes are longer. For humans, norn, asuran, sylvaris they are fine. But when it comes to charrs, it’s more complicated. You see when Charrs run they run on all four legs so their body basically rotate about 50-80 degrees. For short object, like backpacks, all you do is rotate the object being attached to the back. But for longer objects that are fabric like it’s more complicated. Sure ANET could just make it so it looks like a static plane (no flowing, just a piece of paper) but that’s just lame and they rather do something and do it all the way to perfection than putting in a piece of paper attached to the back and call it a “cape”

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Also it just occurs to me that Charrs are not the only problem. Think when else do you require rotation of the cape besides running Charrs. Swimming!!! When it’s that case then all races are being affected and the rotation and flow direction of the cape is ridiculous!!! So if it’s just the Charr then they would have excluded for them only but now thinking of swimming and stuff, yeah it’s a bigger problem…

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Giving the AI way too much credibility here… the game is not real. The engine even lacks some basic physics. It even lacks momentum (getting crippled or chilled while you are mid-jump… yeah no sense of momentum).

The joke

You

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Capes are longer. For humans, norn, asuran, sylvaris they are fine.

I seriously doubt the kind of capes y’all want would be fine. They’ll just clip horrendously with all the armor people wear and your weapons. Charr are probably the least of the dev’s worries with capes. Plus, it’d be easy enough to not allow charr to wear them anyway. I seriously doubt many charr would care about wearing a cape anyway, lmao.

I’m betting the best that’s gonna happen are fancy butt capes like the norn T3.