Please go back to the old legendary system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Okay, I didn’t like the old system, and I was really excited for legendary crafting (and actually liked the way it was implemented for the most part). However, as we aren’t getting that any more, why not go back to the old style?

The new storm bow skin is a reminder of how exciting epic skins can be. If that had just used a precursor which dropped out of the forge (or in the world), then that would have been something a lot people would have worked for (maybe stick Bolt/Meteorlogicus aura/footfalls on it).

I don’t really care whether the storm bow itself is a legendary, but flawed as it was, the old system was literally better than nothing.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

But there was no old system…

If you are referring to the Mystic Forge and/or random drops, those aren’t a system and they still exist.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What old system do you mean?

They added precursor crafting but you can still get precursors from the Mystic Forge and as drops.

There was never a way to get a legendary without crafting it. You could buy them on the TP but only from people who had crafted them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I just want the legendary weapons I kittening paid for. They still haven’t delivered what they sold with HoT.

If they released the new weapons as drops not collections I’d be fine with that.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: WhiteKnight.6759

WhiteKnight.6759

I just want the legendary weapons I kittening paid for. They still haven’t delivered what they sold with HoT.

If they released the new weapons as drops not collections I’d be fine with that.

This.

Whether I make one or not really isn’t the point. If a company tells you they are going to deliver something, they should deliver it.

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

This.

Whether I make one or not really isn’t the point. If a company tells you they are going to deliver something, they should deliver it.

Really? So Nevermore and Astralaria was in the game before HoT? Or they are not legendary weapons, since you see Anet haven’t released any with HoT, according to you. Yes, new legendary weapons are currently not worked on, but that does not mean that we wont see any in the future, yet. Also, as far as I remember from interviews and reviews pre-HoT, they never actually stated -how- many new legendary weapons will get released.

@OP: What old system? Having to wait for a lucky drop or to grind gold to buy the precursor from the TP? No, thanks. Its way better now, when you have to actually do content and work towards a guaranteed precursor in the end.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Brought this one up a couple of times. Agree. Even if the new precursor journey isn’t put in place go ahead and add the new precusor’s into the loot tables as drops like the current ones are. That would go a long way for a lot of people.

Close to finishing H.O.P.E now and enjoyed the Pre journey but would also have been excited about finding the Pre as a loot drop as well. You always want some rare epic loot out there since that’s a part of fun each time you get a drop, could this be the shinny one!?

Again also depends on where they left off on the artwork and such, but if a bigger piece of coding on the new system was the journey, that can be added later.

2 cents.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: WhiteKnight.6759

WhiteKnight.6759

This.

Really? So Nevermore and Astralaria was in the game before HoT? Or they are not legendary weapons, since you see Anet haven’t released any with HoT, according to you. Yes, new legendary weapons are currently not worked on, but that does not mean that we wont see any in the future, yet. Also, as far as I remember from interviews and reviews pre-HoT, they never actually stated -how- many new legendary weapons will get released.

@OP: What old system? Having to wait for a lucky drop or to grind gold to buy the precursor from the TP? No, thanks. Its way better now, when you have to actually do content and work towards a guaranteed precursor in the end.

Arenet said they’d provide a full set of legendary weapons, that would come out at short intervals. Their words, not mine.

Then Mike O’Brien said that they would putting the legendary weapons on indefinite hold, which for most people would read cancelled. There is no longer a team working on the new legendaries are all, even the four have been delivered.

By my count that’s only 25% of the legendary weapons that were supposed to come with the expansion. If you wanted a legendary sword or great sword, you’re just out of luck I guess.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

This.

Arenet said they’d provide a full set of legendary weapons, that would come out at short intervals. Their words, not mine.

Then Mike O’Brien said that they would putting the legendary weapons on indefinite hold, which for most people would read cancelled. There is no longer a team working on the new legendaries are all, even the four have been delivered.

By my count that’s only 25% of the legendary weapons that were supposed to come with the expansion. If you wanted a legendary sword or great sword, you’re just out of luck I guess.

They dident say full set, they said 16 since they dont want to do any more underwater weapons

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

This.

They dident say full set, they said 16 since they dont want to do any more underwater weapons

16 is a full set, underwater weapons haven’t been made for years, note every black lion weapon set since like forever ago.

Also yes, anet broke a lot of promises with HoT and a full set of legendaries was one of them. I don’t know how they expect to sell us a second expansion (which the majority of their devs are working on right now) when they haven’t even finished the last one we bought.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I think the real question is to know if, as player you would have preferred to have a new Legendary weapon, maybe 2, with last content update or if you prefer to have had a new map, and in the mean time these living world events (bandits, anomalies…).

Because the way it was presented was they made a trade-off between Legendary journeys and living world events. Of course as player, instant consumer of content, we demand both, but reason must sometimes win.
As for OP suggestion, I think the topic of legendary weapon has been too long debated between crafting and dropping precursors. Now it has been decided (I’d say tha majority of the community has) that one should earn precursor by himself and not simply buy it from TP. I’m sure that if they would have created this system since launch, all precursors would have been account bound since the beginning because that is what most players asked : a unique weapon that show your dedication to the game and all its activities rather than something you can get by using your credit card.
So in the end having unique awesome skins (chainwhip sword or stormbow) through gems and other through active gameplay (new Legendary) is a good middle option (I know nobody likes compromises) but now they should be careful not to release too much awesome gem skins in comparison to Legendary weapons….

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I think the real question is to know if, as player you would have preferred to have a new Legendary weapon, maybe 2, with last content update or if you prefer to have had a new map, and in the mean time these living world events (bandits, anomalies…).

Because the way it was presented was they made a trade-off between Legendary journeys and living world events. Of course as player, instant consumer of content, we demand both, but reason must sometimes win.
As for OP suggestion, I think the topic of legendary weapon has been too long debated between crafting and dropping precursors. Now it has been decided (I’d say tha majority of the community has) that one should earn precursor by himself and not simply buy it from TP. I’m sure that if they would have created this system since launch, all precursors would have been account bound since the beginning because that is what most players asked : a unique weapon that show your dedication to the game and all its activities rather than something you can get by using your credit card.
So in the end having unique awesome skins (chainwhip sword or stormbow) through gems and other through active gameplay (new Legendary) is a good middle option (I know nobody likes compromises) but now they should be careful not to release too much awesome gem skins in comparison to Legendary weapons….

Its quite simple pull devs working on second expansion and finish first + keep people intrested in game by live content updates while you slowly work on second expansion.

You dont do what they are now break promises give out content for maybe 1 month for the casual then they have to wait 1 to 1½ month for the next 1 month update.
All while the rest of the devs work on expac 2 at breakneck speeds

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I really don’t see why so many people are on this “Storm Bow was supposed to be a legendary!” train. Its a nice skin, sure. And sure, it has a unique sound effect. Which can also be said about a number of other Gem Store weapons. Its a tribute weapon to GW1, and I actually think if it actually WERE a legendary many people would be kittened off that its just a redesign of an old skin and not a new concept.

Disregarding that whole thing, though… Even though I’m one with absolutely zero interest in ever creating a legendary, I agree with this. If the precursor journey is what takes so much development time (which is almost certainly is) then I’d be just fine with them writing the idea off as too time consuming / unrealistic and returning to the random drop precursors in order to introduce more legendaries. At the very least finishing the “set” that HoT started.

On some level it’d be disappointing since the precursor journey / crafting was a much requested feature. And its hard to admit something was overambitious and ultimately unsustainable. But there’s a point when its too costly to “stick to your guns” and I think just shutting down legendary development altogether passes that threshold.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

The legendary team had 6 people on it, 6. 6 people aren’t making or breaking the new content. Especially when they have like 100 people working on the next expansion when this one is still incomplete. You don’t move resources from the current incomplete expansion when you have 100 others you can tap into.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

The legendary team had 6 people on it, 6. 6 people aren’t making or breaking the new content.

It is the reason that was given. One can chose to not believe the game director (who is also head of the company) but, I know I should be more suspicious about human kind, I fail to see why he would just do this if 6 people would not make any difference to new content.
I really fail to see why he would have decided to cancel legendary weapons just to upset the player base and lie to us about the fact it would change how fast the production of new content is done. I mean do you really think his message was “Ahahah I robbed you all noobs who bought HoT only for new Legendary, you will never see them happen and I will make you pay gem for them. I will fire those 6 devs to gain even more money and tell you they are moved to living world. Bwahahaha I am that evil !!!!”
Why can’t we believe what developers say, especially when we are only players and have no clue of what lies behind the curtain?

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

Disregarding that whole thing, though… Even though I’m one with absolutely zero interest in ever creating a legendary, I agree with this. If the precursor journey is what takes so much development time (which is almost certainly is) then I’d be just fine with them writing the idea off as too time consuming / unrealistic and returning to the random drop precursors in order to introduce more legendaries. At the very least finishing the “set” that HoT started.

On some level it’d be disappointing since the precursor journey / crafting was a much requested feature. And its hard to admit something was overambitious and ultimately unsustainable. But there’s a point when its too costly to “stick to your guns” and I think just shutting down legendary development altogether passes that threshold.

Stating personal assumptions, as facts is never a good thing. We simply do not know what is the cause for taking long time to develop new legendaries. Also, as someone who, as you stated, have zero interest in getting a legendary this should not matter to you at all.

It was pointed out already and I will second that – the new method is much more improved, fun and satisfying. What did a legendary stood for before? That you dumped 1k gold or more into the mystic forge or that you got a lucky drop? Well not very impressive, imo. Now with the new method you need to do Open world pve, pvp, wvw, fractals, dungeons, do meta events in the new maps, complete masteries to collect all the required tiers on top of gathering and crafting all the rest of the materials. The collection even encourage you to return to places that you probably havent visited in ages, since you got that map completion. That shows, as pointed out already a dedication for the game and its content. It shows that you have been there, done that and you have something in the end that feels rewarding for your efforts, instead of just “Woaah, finally my 1k gold dump paid off, now off to grind the rest of the gold.”

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Auction hall

The auction hall unlike every other game under the sun with a hall doesn’t have a 12-48hour time limit no auction is infinite. However in this game it is your items will stay for years. This is a veritible anchor for the economy people who have quit the game still have things up for auction.

This is relevant because legendaries are on the auction hall and their prices are anchored to the high points and Anet set legendary crafting prices to those of the broken auction hall. Legendary crafting and the economy at large wouldnt’ be so bad if this minor detail was changed prices would actually change with supply and demand quickly and they’d wouldn’t revert afterwords. Would also remove access gold from the repostings.

As some have stated there never was an old system but the prices on the AH are still set to those old inflated prices. The only thing this new method does is increase the burden it’s beyond obvious that this new method takes additional work since they require new events and a crafting tree to implement. The workload for each legendary would increase since its additions to what we used to have. Meaning more time energy and money that Anet doesnt’ want to spend. In the end though even if all that extra work didn’t exist I don’t think we would get new legendaries anyway with how things have been going. A new legendary even though its less work is like getting a new dungeon. There always abandoning things and working on the next thing that will also be abandoned shortly after.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I haven’t done any of the HoT legendaries yet, so forgive me if I misunderstand the process. It just seems like the process is much more complicated, both from a player perspective and likely from the developer side as well.

I think there’s merit to the idea of moving toward a more simplified system where they could put out more legendaries in less time.

I’ve only done one legendary so far (Quip). The process was a bit of a grind, but it did get me to do some things I otherwise wouldn’t have (Tyria map completion, WvW) and I really do love these legendary skins.

Grind? Yeah. But it gives me a longer-term goal to work toward and the skins are really cool! I think it’s a shame we won’t have new skins to work toward in the forseeable future.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Auction hall

The auction hall unlike every other game under the sun with a hall doesn’t have a 12-48hour time limit no auction is infinite. However in this game it is your items will stay for years. This is a veritible anchor for the economy people who have quit the game still have things up for auction.

This is relevant because legendaries are on the auction hall and their prices are anchored to the high points and Anet set legendary crafting prices to those of the broken auction hall. Legendary crafting and the economy at large wouldnt’ be so bad if this minor detail was changed prices would actually change with supply and demand quickly and they’d wouldn’t revert afterwords. Would also remove access gold from the repostings.

As some have stated there never was an old system but the prices on the AH are still set to those old inflated prices. The only thing this new method does is increase the burden it’s beyond obvious that this new method takes additional work since they require new events and a crafting tree to implement. The workload for each legendary would increase since its additions to what we used to have. Meaning more time energy and money that Anet doesnt’ want to spend. In the end though even if all that extra work didn’t exist I don’t think we would get new legendaries anyway with how things have been going. A new legendary even though its less work is like getting a new dungeon. There always abandoning things and working on the next thing that will also be abandoned shortly after.

1.) Go to any site which tracks trades on the TP (gw2spidy, gw2tp, etc.).

2.) Look up price developements on precursors and legendaries.

3.) Realise what you just wrote is complete nonsense.

Legendaries and precursors are very well affected by supply and demand (as well as changes to material values since those factor in directly into cost of mf crafting them). You paying attention to only the last 2-4 weeks of their value luckily can easily get fixed by sites with historical data.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The problem with HoT-type legendary weapons is that their implementation – the collections, quests and whatnot take a lot of time and work to implement.

Sure – the HoT system felt more “legendary” than the generation one weapons did BUT if I had a choice between indefinite hold and just having the rest of the new legendaries released same as the 1st generation legendary weapons were I would choose to have them release.

It’s really about skins – I’d rather have more skins. It’s really sad they can’t even deliver what they promised they would.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I’d honestly like to see them make the announcement, and then deliver on, releasing new 4-5 new legendaries, with precursor journeys, each xpac.

It take quite a long time to craft the precursor up, much less the actual legendary, so it would work.

The old system was bad. Depending on RNG for something that could be an epic journey instead, was just kinda boring and anger inciting.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I’d rather get my precursor from the TP and make a legendary weapon that’s new and shiny than have no legendary weapons.

Yes in an ideal world the HoT system is better – but they can’t make it happen.

My point is: something is better than nothing.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

I’d honestly like to see them make the announcement, and then deliver on, releasing new 4-5 new legendaries, with precursor journeys, each xpac.

It take quite a long time to craft the precursor up, much less the actual legendary, so it would work.

The old system was bad. Depending on RNG for something that could be an epic journey instead, was just kinda boring and anger inciting.

There was no RNG in the old system. You can buy gen 1 precursors off the trading post, zero luck involved. And the cost for all the new ones has been exactly the same as what people were paying for pres like Dusk and The Legend, so what’s actually changed? Not a whole lot. The collections added an incremental way for people with minimal gold to work towards them, and that’s great. But it doesn’t really change the acquisition method. Farming mats to craft vs. farming mats to sell? OK……really huge change.

The only benefit to the new system, and what people keep harping on is how the new collections “actually feel legendary”. Again, yea that’s great and all, but they couldn’t make it work. We have 100% concrete proof this is not a sustainable production model. They missed HoT launch deadline, had an extra 8 months to finish them, still couldn’t do it, and then Mike announced the postponement. Here’s why this is a problem: the collections they’re releasing are one-time content. There’s no long term replayability. The long term value from this content is the easiest part for them to develop: the godkitten skin itself. I’m not gonna guess on numbers but if even 50% of the playerbase cared more about the collections and journey than having the skins in game, I’d be utterly surprised.

I’m not against the collections and crafting process currently, but it’s still horribly flawed and obviously isn’t sustainable and having the new skins in game would add more value.

Zelendel