Please learn time zones...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Please… You got an international customer base folks. For us non americans, when the kitten is afternoon “Seattle Time”?

Posted by: Young Somalia.1706

Young Somalia.1706

Seattle is -8GMT. I believe standard Na server time is also -8GMT but I’m not positive if they’re universal.

Do the math for your timezone.

Guard: Driveby Brofist; Warrior: Giganticus Elitist
[LOD]

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

It took you more time to create this post than it would have taken to Google “Seattle time zone.”

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/worldclock.aspx

They can’t really give information in every single time-zone in the whole world after all.

Current time in Seattle is 11:10 in the “morning”.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Just google the word Seattle and you get the current time of the city on the left. I’m sure even international customers can pull that off. =P

http://tinyurl.com/apw5yp

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Seattle time = server time(you can set this to display in the game).

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Seattle time is more specific than -8GMT because I don’t think Seattle partakes in Daylight Savings. During the summer, my realm resets at 8pm server time, but during the winter it’s at 7pm server time. To say PST would be too vague.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Yes that! I need to do a whole research every time they say a time specific event American time

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Please… You got an international customer base folks. For us non americans, when the kitten is afternoon “Seattle Time”?

The irony of this thread’s title and this statement is actually breathtaking.

Rather than them learning twenty-three other time zones (especially since they won’t be making 23 unique announcements…) how about people who use the game take notice of the one time zone all the announcements are always based on?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

All of the U.S should have UK time, different time zones ruin games

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Someone misused irony again! takes a shot of whiskey Now to the rest of the MMO forums!

Posted by: RedShipRaider.9560

RedShipRaider.9560

Someone misused irony again! takes a shot of whiskey Now to the rest of the MMO forums!

You must really hate your liver with that kind of game!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You must really hate your liver with that kind of game!

Try doing it every time you see a thread about mounts.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

If I was to do that, I’d question what would run out first: my liver’s health or my whiskey supply. I’m almost breaking out the Johnny Walker’s Blue Label here.

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

I think that OP is referring to the accepted timezones standard (GMT aka UTC). All other timezones are calculated with that timezone being the “original”, with DST being added/subtracted after the fact. That’s why one of the posters noted that Seattle time is UTC-8.

It’s a somewhat valid point that non-Americans often bring up, similarly to the ridiculous system of measurement used almost exclusively in US.

Nike.2631

Someone misused irony again!

You don’t find it ironic that someone asks ArenaNet to “learn” two-dozen time zones, when if they learned one time-zone themselves the problem would go away?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Aren’t time zones taught in countries outside of America?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Don’t worry, Americans don’t know what time that is either. :P

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Ayrilana.1396

Someone misused irony again!

You don’t find it ironic that someone asks ArenaNet to “learn” two-dozen time zones, when if they learned one time-zone themselves the problem would go away?

That’s not irony. Irony is when you do something to avoid something but then it occurs as a result anyway. Google Oedipus if you want to see an example. Your example falls more in line with hypocrisy rather than irony.

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

In all honesty it would be so professional for an international company to communicate in multiple time zones (obviously not all time zones but the standard ones used in the continents). Also sucks to be European always short end of the stick in these matters :/

(edited by smitske.4912)

Posted by: Sitael.4680

Sitael.4680

Can you please explain, what do you mean with America?

Nike.2631

Maybe it comes from living in a country that only has one time zone? With the continental United States spread across 4, making corrections for East Coast vs. West Coasts (and all points between) is just second nature.

(edited by Nike.2631)

Sitael.4680

You dont’t find it ironic, that “Nike” is a registered trademark?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It’s also the name of a Greek goddess. Did you know that?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Smooth Penguin.5294

Time zones are a global thing. Because the Earth is round, and rotates around the sun, each time zone starts at a different time. As the Earth rotates each hour, the sun reaches a new zone on the surface of the planet. Time zones help to determine the correct start time of each day, so that foreigners have an easier time understanding why America’s daylight time is different than that of another country.

lordkrall.7241

Also sucks to be European always short end of the stick in these matters :/

Yeah… except more or less all other patches that hits when most people in the US are still at work and such, while at the same time being rather perfect time for EU.

But yeah true, other than that Europe always gets the short end of the stick…
(I am from Sweden for the record).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

America = the world, and Seattle is its capital. Every American knows this, because it is taught in our schools, along with how to dodge bullets and eat too many Freedom Fries.

Rumors of strange foreign countries outside America are greatly exaggerated…

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Ayrilana.1396

Time zones are a global thing. Because the Earth is round, and rotates around the sun, each time zone starts at a different time. As the Earth rotates each hour, the sun reaches a new zone on the surface of the planet. Time zones help to determine the correct start time of each day, so that foreigners have an easier time understanding why America’s daylight time is different than that of another country.

Funny since daylight savings is used in Europe and was first established in Germany.

Nike.2631

That’s not irony. Irony is when you do something to avoid something but then it occurs as a result anyway. Google Oedipus if you want to see an example. Your example falls more in line with hypocrisy rather than irony.

Well I had a fascinating read through the wikipedi entry for irony. I’ll give more thought as to how identify such tragic, farcical, and three other adjective that’ll get me infraction points when describing gross failure of internal logic in the future.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sitael.4680

It’s also the name of a Greek goddess. Did you know that?

She has been called ‘níke’ and not ‘naiki’ ;-)

However i find it ironic, that he use a name from a company, wich offers chronograph alongside sportswear too.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hey at least they didn’t just say “when it’s ready”. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

lordkrall.7241

To be fair Nike is also a name used by people, so it is fully possible that the poster is actually called Nike, and thus it would make sense to use it

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They are, thus we know that timezones are given out using GMT/UTC as a basis. Not “Seattle time”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Sitael.4680

America (916 America, Asteroid)
América, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
America, Limburg, Netherlands
America (Thailand)
América, Tamaulipas, Mexico
America (Alabama), Walker County
America (Illinois), Pulaski County
America (Indiana), Wabash County
America (Oklahoma), McCurtain County
America City, Nemaha County, Kansas

Can you please explain, what do you mean with America and what is “America’s daylight time”?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

America (916 America, Asteroid)
América, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
America, Limburg, Netherlands
America (Thailand)
América, Tamaulipas, Mexico
America (Alabama), im Walker County
America (Illinois), im Pulaski County
America (Indiana), im Wabash County
America (Oklahoma), im McCurtain County
America City, im Nemaha County, Kansas

Can you please explain, what do you mean with America and what is “America’s daylight time”?

I couldn’t look at this without thinking of that song from West Side Story.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: WilliCalifornia.1837

WilliCalifornia.1837

There are Four Regions Time Zones in North America. Pacific, Mountain, Central, and Eastern.

Eastern is 3 hours ahead of Pacific. Mountain Time is one hour advanced from Pacific. Central is 2 hours ahead.

For Example, if the time is 1:30 pm in Pacific, Mountain would be 2:30, Central 3:30, Eastern 4:30 pm.

Edit. There are 3 regions in america. North America (US and Canada), Central America (mexico, ect. google), and South America (Brazil, ect..).

(edited by WilliCalifornia.1837)

Posted by: WilliCalifornia.1837

WilliCalifornia.1837

Smooth Penguin.5294

They are, thus we know that timezones are given out using GMT/UTC as a basis. Not “Seattle time”.

What is GMT? General Mountain Time, as in Mountain Time Zone in America?

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

What does “afternoon” mean? “After” “noon?” Shouldn’t that be 12:01pm UDT-8? Wasn’t that over 90 minutes ago?

(I’m just having a laugh here. I’m shocked this thread is still open.)

Also, this may help: http://bit.ly/1kT5DvN

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

There are Four Regions Time Zones in North America. Pacific, Mountain, Central, and Eastern.

No, there’s seven.

Alaska has its own time zone on the west, while in the east Atlantic Canada has the Atlantic Time Zone, and the island of Newfoundland has its own special half-hour difference Newfoundland Time Zone.

Technically, a handful of islands in Alaska belong to the Hawaii Time Zone, but adding that is a stretch, as would be adding Greenland’s time zone that’s past Newfoundland. For continental populated North America, we can say there’s the seven time zones.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Meh, ANet pretty much stink at giving proper dates and times for when things start or end. I guess they think it helps build hype…

Most people know what their own time zone is in reference to UTC (often mistakenly called GMT, but GMT moves depending on UK summer time). As such ANet should announce things using UTC time (either exclusively or alongside their local time).

And for a heads up, USA starts and ends their summer time on a different date than Europe.

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

No, there’s seven.

Alaska has its own time zone on the west, while in the east Atlantic Canada has the Atlantic Time Zone, and the island of Newfoundland has its own special half-hour difference Newfoundland Time Zone.

Technically, a handful of islands in Alaska belong to the Hawaii Time Zone, but adding that is a stretch, as would be adding Greenland’s time zone that’s past Newfoundland. For continental populated North America, we can say there’s the seven time zones.

This also doesn’t take into consideration that Arizona, which is considered in the mountain time zone, doesn’t recognize daylight savings time. For half of the year, Arizona’s time is the same as the Pacific Time Zone. The other half of the year is the Mountain Time Zone. I believe in some circumstances, Arizona is actually referred to as being in the Arizona Mountain Time Zone, which would theoretically make it time zone #8.

Posted by: CursedShaitan.9720

CursedShaitan.9720

No one should have to be bothered to look up anything when an international time standard is elementary educational curriculum in both the Americas and Europe. Had they used GMT-8 there would have been 3 idiots that couldn’t get through high school running a google search instead of the entire european player base. They might as well have said “when sun goes set-set on western ocean”

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Had they used GMT-8 there would have been 3 idiots that couldn’t get through high school running a google search instead of the entire european player base.

But then we would have been robbed of all this delicious international pedantry.

How fun is that?

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

In Win7 (possibly also 8.): Click on your time/date in windows, click “change date and time”, click on “additional clocks” tab and add a utc -8 clock. Click on your time/date again.
Now you can tell what time it is at ANET with a single click.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

This also doesn’t take into consideration that Arizona, which is considered in the mountain time zone, doesn’t recognize daylight savings time. For half of the year, Arizona’s time is the same as the Pacific Time Zone. The other half of the year is the Mountain Time Zone. I believe in some circumstances, Arizona is actually referred to as being in the Arizona Mountain Time Zone, which would theoretically make it time zone #8.

Saskatchewan is the same way with ignoring daylight savings time, but it’s between Mountain and Central time, so that’s another one added to the list then.

Ayrilana.1396

Or realize that Seattle time is server time and figure out when it is based on daily reset time. People are acting like it’s some obscure time zone when it’s not.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Yes that! I need to do a whole research every time they say a time specific event American time

Because its more realistic for them to post it in every conceivable timezone accommodating each and every individual player, or perhaps just in your timezone so you are perfectly accommodated?
This topic is ridiculous. It took more effort and time to make this topic and have replies to it than it would have to look up Seattle….or idk…the server time clock thats in game, which everything in game is based around.

Sitael.4680

Edit. There are 3 regions in america. North America (US and Canada), Central America (mexico, ect. google), and South America (Brazil, ect..).

Sure, the other poster meant the US but talked all the time about America, wich is not the same. The US is 21.133% of America’s and 1.887% of the World’s surface. ;-)