Please let us save chat

Please let us save chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eggman.1405

Eggman.1405

I’m on my virtual knees begging for the ability to save chat in some fashion. Just the other day an online buddy tried to send me a link for a build- they can paste it into the chat box to send, but when I receive, I have no way to copy it out. This isn’t even the only example of how this is useful. There are plenty of options, too:

• Allow us to toggle a means to have the chat text constantly streamed out to a log file. Probably the most “difficult” (with full quotes) implementation but not without some problems, since you have to worry about problems writing to disk and deciding if you care how large the log file is allowed to grow.
  • Add a ‘/copy’ or ‘/log’ command that immediately dumps the contents of the active chat tab into the clipboard so we can process it however we like.
  • Allow us to at least select the chat text and do a manual copy to the clipboard.

Some user requests are pretty low-hanging fruit- you can imagine a programmer you discuss this with would already have the solution worked out in their heads before you’re even done talking to them. Our text is right there on full display, but yet so far out of reach! And my Internet searches for `GW2 Chat Log` gave me links to people saying this is a problem in GW1 of all things, so it seems it is high time to address this issue.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Yes, please this. Personally, I would like for party and guild channels to stop disappearing from chat window, as well.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

+1, also we need to worry about instance stealers now. Being the owner was a “safe guard” from being kicked, thats gone now, WE NEED to know who kicked us.

We also should have a reason to kick pop up.(A pop up asking why your kicking JUST like the Report feature does)

SAB or RIOT

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

+1

Please keep chat when leaving parties or switching guilds.

I really don’t see why party chat disappears when you leave a party or guild chat disappears when you switch chars. Especially when you switch chars to another that also reps that guild. It’s a strange functionality and I’m not really seeing any benefit to it.

If anything, it causes problems. People can party up and kick others from dungeons or say something in party chat then leave party and unless there is a screenshot, it’s all gone.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Eggman.1405

Eggman.1405

( Shameless Bump )
I’m bumping this as I hope a developer can see it before it gets relegated to a back page and dies in obscurity. This has to be on the list of one of the easiest to implement and least controversial requests on the forums (falling under keeping crafting menus closed and permanent individual pet names).

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

An integrated chat logger would be so sweet for saving RP logs to share with guildies or to remember plot points that developed.

Even better, include a parser so one can select which channels go into the log. Back in the early days of the Horizons MMO a friend of mine worked some magic. In a very short amount of time he made a parser (the game already had a chat log dump but it was absolutely everything from all tabs all mixed together, including combat) with which one could specify exactly what would get saved. You pasted the complete log into it, dragged the chosen channels into a center box from a right hand list, and got your finished result on the left side to copy and paste back out into a word processor. It took seconds to get your log, instead of painstaking hours of manual editing.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Llarrian.9074

Llarrian.9074

Please, please, please.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It has occurred to me a reason that guild chat isn’t saved as it could lead to problems. Let’s say you’re in a guild of friends with loose conversation rules (salty language in chat) and another guild of semi strangers. Just as you switch chars someone says something in the friend guild. The char you switch to is repping the other guild. Seeing the chat and forgetting you’re not in that guild, you respond with language that gets you reported (and a 3 days suspension from the game).

However I’m still not seeing any reason to wipe party chat.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

Agreed. Been asking for chat box improvements for a long time.
ALL chat should be saved when switching characters. Party chat should NOT disappear when party disbands.
Been asking for the ability to change chat colors & designate color difference for certain guild ranks.
the list goes on but, I would settle for retaining all chat as a start for now…

Naz ©

Please let us save chat

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

I would like to see possibility to separate tabs
For example: main tab for common chat and a separate - for combat.

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

We do guild missions, and someone links the waypoint the guild is going to, but I have to switch charactors because I don’t have that waypoint, but then I lose everthing in the chat, and have to ask the guild to re-ping the waypoint,
Or how about a clickable link in chat or the ability to cut and paste the text?

What if your guild would like new members to visit your guild webpage. It would be so much more seamless if they could just click the link. or cut and paste it into thier browser.

(edited by Reanne.5462)

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

What i really want is that the guild-chat isn’t always deleted when i change chars.
Since i switch chars really very often, that is simply annoying.

Saving chat to files however .. if they don’t exclude combat we directly have damage-meters via tools like ACT ( http://advancedcombattracker.com/ ) .. so no to that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I think saving chat in a log file would be really helpful. Info is often posted in chat that I’d like to save to review later, or I want to look at a combat log to look at what happened in some encounter, and there’s just no way to do it.

Really, a text file would be great, because then I could use some other tools to manage it.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Oggeli.5140

Oggeli.5140

This request is ignored since the first beta weekend.

Again and again after full delete of all forums posts i reposted the wish to save my role playing text, but no answer. No “yes”, but a deep frozen unspoken “never ever” from the development team by not implementing that feature.

It might cost one week programming and another week tests. Depending on the average income of a programmer and a tester that would be $800 to $1,800 to implement. That´s not so much to make us (the role players) happy…

But… Nothing else has yet been done for the role play. So, in my opinion, this will also remain unfulfilled.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Some point of view from one of the web programmers from the API CDI:

i would be really excited about a possibility to have guild chat outside of the game too, maybe somewhat like twitch allows to connect to their irc: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/en/portal/articles/1302780-twitch-irc

Out-of-game guild chat is definitely something I want to have, but we haven’t really settled on a protocol for it yet. XMPP, IRC and “something custom with HTTP+SSE” have all been tossed around as potentials but it’s not immediately clear which is most advantageous to implement. As far as interoperability with existing clients, IRC’s probably the winner (though it’s a horrible mess of a protocol).

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Oggeli.5140

Oggeli.5140

Has it been implemented with HoT?

I can’t find it…

Please let us save chat

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

I can live with just able to copy the text in the chat.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Please let us save chat

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

This is REALLY good to have!

One time, in another game, we were holding an event and were collecting names of who wanted to be notified the next time. Guess what broke?

I was able to parse the log after and get a list of who had been there. Without the log we would have had no way to get that list so we could notify them the next time we held it.