Please only allow one aura effect

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

I saw this person at the bank yesterday and couldn’t even begin to understand why that would be appealing. One, maybe two at once can look okay (albeit a bit obnoxious), but why do something so ugly?

Attachments:

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Eye of the beholder. They like it. You don’t

/thread

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

As someone with 16 auras, please no.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Obvious solution. If you think it’s ugly
1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.

/problemsolved

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I’m perfectly fine with people bleeding their own eyes out with all the bling.

As long as I get an option to turn it all off on my screen.

Edit: This is also the reason I love to set the graphic settings to as few player models as possible, and lower the quality of them, to the effect they look barely more than stick figures in basic armor. Because I enjoy that more than most “bling looks”.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

(edited by joneirikb.7506)

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

I don’t think most of you even looked at it. They can’t even see their own character. Where’s the appeal in that?

If you can’t even hold a proper conversation with me about this, don’t bother replying. “Don’t look” isn’t a response.

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

I don’t think most of you even looked at it. They can’t even see their own character. Where’s the appeal in that?

If you can’t even hold a proper conversation with me about this, don’t bother replying. “Don’t look” isn’t a response.

There is no accounting for taste.

That person is probably as elated about the effect(s) he/she managed to put on that character as you are disgusted by it.

So who is right and who is wrong?

I don’t care for all that silly bling in this game either. But its part of the game and one persons disgust is another persons delight.

Not much to do about that besides ignore it.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

these can be turned down in game settings . and some of us like them and some do not this is why they put it in the game settings so you can change it to suit your own tastes

but for myself the more flasher the better I love it .

Attachments:

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

“Their own character” is appearing to them the way they want it to, not the way you want it to.

The “Don’t look” responses are a valid reply in this conversation. I am all for an option to toggle it as mentioned by Lahmia below. However, asking for Anet to limit players to one or two effects simply because you don’t like the way they look is absurd.

(edited by Wolfheart.7483)

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.

/problemsolved

Or allow us to toggle the visual effects from ourselves and other players like they did with unique sound effects.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

How about.. let’s not ask for that? I can’t achieve my ice and frost theme with just one aura effect, I need 3 to achieve my current look (posted the screenshot below a few times, but I guess it can show what I mean here as well). Sure, some people look like someone threw up effects on them, but if they think that’s cool, who am I to say they can’t walk around like that. It’s overall very few players in the playerbase who looks that way. I think it looks ugly too, don’t get me wrong, but I can perfectly co-exist with these players being around, without the need to request limitations being put in place just because I think it’s a bit too much to just load up on every single aura one can get. I prefer creating certain looks with a combination of a few, they prefer to just show all of them for whatever reason. Maybe you find my appearance appalling as well, but chances are we are unlikely to meet in game anyways.

Attachments:

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

How about.. no? I can’t achieve my ice and frost theme with just one aura effect, I need 3 to get what I currently sport. Sure, some people look like someone threw up effects on them, but if they think that’s cool, who am I to say they can’t walk around like that. It’s overall very few players in the playerbase who looks that way. I think it looks ugly too, don’t get me wrong, but I can perfectly co-exist with these players being around, without the need to request limitations being put in place just because I think it’s a bit too much to just load up on every single aura one can get. I prefer creating certain looks with a combination of a few, they prefer to just show all of them for whatever reason.

the shot looks great to me . but wish you made it a full body shot to fully show it off properly . it would even make a good wallpaper too

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How about requiring every character to display one aura? Doesn’t sound right, does it? But that’s hardly different from limiting everyone to a single aura.

If you want to make an argument about strain on the server affecting performance on some systems, I’d be more sympathetic (although I think it probably doesn’t have as much impact as we think it does). If you want to argue for limits based on aesthetics, well, ANet would have to remove bunny ears, wings, half the gliders, all skulls and sharp objects from light armor, and… well, ultimately about 90% of the wardrobe.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Vacheron.9870

Vacheron.9870

Excuse me, but to fully appreciate that character one must wear a pair of sunglasses. Sort of like observing the solar eclipse :p

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.

/problemsolved

I’m sorry but this is not a solution. And not looking at something that spread to 80% of the screen is impossible.

Attachments:

(edited by Haishao.6851)

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

I hate most of this auras too. Even more if they are stacked, but to nerf it to only 1 is not right.
I would love an option to turn auras off, so only I won’t see them.

(edited by mazut.4296)

Just a flesh wound.3589

1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.

/problemsolved

I’m sorry but this is not a solution. And not looking at something that spread to 80% of the screen is impossible.

Are you saying that’s one char with multiple auras or is that a shot of multiple skill effects?

ANet may give it to you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

An option to toggle off auras is a reasonable thing to ask. Asking to limit what other people have bought and liked isn’t.

ANet may give it to you.

Haishao.6851

1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.

/problemsolved

Are you saying that’s one char with multiple auras or is that a shot of multiple skill effects?

It was a norn idling there whit his aura. Only other effect would have been the few other people cutting trees, but those effects were completely absorbed by the aura.
I thought I had a screenshot from inside “the zone” but I apparently don’t.
I don’t cut trees as intensively now that I got my sword crafted but if I see him again, ill take screenshot standing next to him.

Just a flesh wound.3589

1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.

/problemsolved

It was a norn idling there whit his aura. Only other effect would have been the few other people cutting trees, but those effects were completely absorbed by the aura.
I thought I had a screenshot from inside “the zone” but I apparently don’t.
I don’t cut trees as intensively now that I got my sword crafted but if I see him again, ill take screenshot standing next to him.

Well that is obnoxious however it’s something he spent good gold for and the OP’s request to take it away from him isn’t as good as a request for an option to turn off auras.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

/thread

1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.
/problemsolved

There’re something called “Poor Taste”. We just ask for an option so it won’t be imposed on others.

Haishao.6851

Option to turn off aura would most likely be the best.
Sadly it would also turn off every other aura that are not a problem. Such situation should have never existed in the first place. Applying the same aura more than once shouldn’t have been possible.

Just a flesh wound.3589

/thread

1) don’t look at it
2) don’t do it.
/problemsolved

There’re something called “Poor Taste”. We just ask for an option so it won’t be imposed on others.

Poor taste is subjective. If people can ask for things they want to be removed from others because of “poor taste” there’d be very few cosmetic things left in the game. Asking to remove from others isn’t a good request. Asking to limit yourself with a toggle is better.

Edit: added a word

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The solution isn’t “less auras”, it’s “more aura choices”.

Right now, we have a few different aura choices and … well … they don’t go together very well, do they? It quickly becomes something very ugly.

So, let’s take what auras we have, and add in others that are made to mesh with them, and build in the same theme. Take the Koda’s Flame one, for example. It’s an inner fire in the person’s chest. Not bad, right? Now, add in shoulders that make a burning halo above the head. Add in the glowing red eyes mask, and suddenly you have a look that works, and is more than just visual screen clutter.

Just about every aura could be worked with in this way. It would allow people to more fully customize their characters while showing off their hard work, and make more coherent style choices while doing so. Fashion choice, instead of visual static.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Just a flesh wound.3589

^ Good idea.

Instead of releasing random auras ANet should look into releasing aura sets that fit together as one look. People can then try to get the complete set or separate pieces.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Jojo.6140

Jojo.6140

Aura effects should neither be limited nor should there be an option to visually remove them. If someone got a 10k gold chak egg sac, he probably wants to show it off so others have to see it too.

How can some people be so offended by the way other people make their characters look like?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

@OP

Yeah that is artistically a train wreck… inside a dumpster fire.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Not so much offended as annoyed. There’s a lot of visual noise in this game and it does detract from the experience for some of us.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I’m perfectly fine with people bleeding their own eyes out with all the bling.

As long as I get an option to turn it all off on my screen.

Edit: This is also the reason I love to set the graphic settings to as few player models as possible, and lower the quality of them, to the effect they look barely more than stick figures in basic armor. Because I enjoy that more than most “bling looks”.

^ This. There should be an option to turn off these effects. I don’t need more clutter on my screen.

Edit: It’s weird that the Ghostly one can be turned off by setting “animation” to low but the other effects stay. Why is that?

(edited by Mea.5491)