Please reduce # of events in deserted zones

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azlaier.4280

Azlaier.4280

For those of us who didn’t level at release, trying to map complete with every waypoint contested is incredibly annoying. Especially in Straits and Malchor’s, where there are basically two usable waypoints, and most of the skill points are blocked by DE veterans/champions. I understand having lots of dynamic events in zones that are active, but the events should scale down when no one is in a zone to complete them.

Thanks.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Or they could make underflow servers to match everyone in those zones into one server so those events do get played.

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

What I think would be cool is if they made the respawn timers on Champs longer. It would force people to do their farming rotations in other zones. Like figure out how long on average it takes to down every open world champ and then adjust respawns accordingly. I think that would actually help.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Or they could make underflow servers to match everyone in those zones into one server so those events do get played.

How would you implement underflow.

Say the threshold is, if this area has less than 10 players, they are booted into underflow. Which means now the main server is empty.

When a new player enters this now empty main server, do they get automatically booted into the underflow? Then the main server remains forever empty. Do the players in the underflow get booted back to the main server? That will severely disrupt the play of the people in the underflow. not to mention if these people from Server A was booted, the few people from server B remains in underflow and now they have a problem.

Cap population in the underflow? You’ll run into the same problem. It’ll get full, and the main servers will remain empty. Do we keep making new underflow servers? Then the main servers remain forever empty.

Underflow is a very, very, tricky concept to implement. One should be careful whenever you suggest it.

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

This is a symptom of a bigger problem that needs to be addressed:

Making the open world more enticing.

I have no solid ideas of how they should do this, but I’ve seen plenty of decent ones from altering the rewards from the events to my own chain/combo event completion to making area event completion produce tokens to be exchanged for a reward and so on. I’m hoping ArenaNet has noticed all of this discussion and is hard at work figuring out their own way of handling it, since they must realize having players concentrated in one area does not bode well for those newly arriving in the game.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

Posted by: Azlaier.4280

Azlaier.4280

This is a symptom of a bigger problem that needs to be addressed:

Making the open world more enticing.

I have no solid ideas of how they should do this, but I’ve seen plenty of decent ones from altering the rewards from the events to my own chain/combo event completion to making area event completion produce tokens to be exchanged for a reward and so on. I’m hoping ArenaNet has noticed all of this discussion and is hard at work figuring out their own way of handling it, since they must realize having players concentrated in one area does not bode well for those newly arriving in the game.

I think making reward tokens for each zone for level 80s would be a good idea. And then being able to use those tokens for minis, titles, and skins.