Please remove the BWE2 reminder/ad

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Honestly now, players are getting upset because the game is informing players that a beta weekend is going on and in tiny print if you want to join in then buy the expansion and they give you a link that will pop up your browser.

Look at it! How is that a problem. Having it in game like the P4F accounts have then I can understand the rage but the load screens? Seriously?

The devil’s in the details.
It’s not upsetting.
It’s just one more little brick in the wall of sloppiness and the ‘one size fits all’
mentality.And as a whole,that wall makes me worry about the quality of future content,UI design etc etc.

No, that is not an indication for sloppiness. It is a stupid waste of money to program a system to determine who should get the message on a loading screen and who shouldn’t just for something that last 3 days. Loading screen is a good place to make sure people see the message and give a link to buying it if one wants to. This is nothing more than you people being petty and complaining about stuff for the sake to complain.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

People have the right to complain about it. They shouldn’t be subjected to personal attacks because they don’t like an annoying ad.

I agree with your sentiment, especially since the OP posted it as a very benign, non-antagonistic statement and questions.

Though there are subsequent posts by other folks which seem a bit silly, and I don’t mind seeing the string fly.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Honestly now, players are getting upset because the game is informing players that a beta weekend is going on and in tiny print if you want to join in then buy the expansion and they give you a link that will pop up your browser.

Look at it! How is that a problem. Having it in game like the P4F accounts have then I can understand the rage but the load screens? Seriously?

The devil’s in the details.
It’s not upsetting.
It’s just one more little brick in the wall of sloppiness and the ‘one size fits all’
mentality.And as a whole,that wall makes me worry about the quality of future content,UI design etc etc.

No, that is not an indication for sloppiness. It is a stupid waste of money to program a system to determine who should get the message on a loading screen and who shouldn’t just for something that last 3 days. Loading screen is a good place to make sure people see the message and give a link to buying it if one wants to. This is nothing more than you people being petty and complaining about stuff for the sake to complain.

It was a stupid waste of money to add it in the first place. Information about weekend and that you need to preorder hot to participate can be seen on the game launcher, website, reddit and on the countless google ad banners. Why add it to the every single loading screen in the game? inb4 not everyone uses the internet.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Oh .. and i totally forgot .. you of course see it each time you use a waypoint
so if your hopping from one rich node to the next that are even more screens.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The game already knows if you have purchased it or not,that’s how it allows you
to create BETA characters.

I suppose we are disregarding the fact that you can get invited to the beta without having pre-purchased HoT?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

OMG an Ad on loading screens for 3 days people QQ and beg for it to be removed. It’s there as reminder to players who bought H.O.T the beta event is under way for those who don’t check the forums, twitter, face book, reddit etc etc. Plus of course to get more sales and omg a company trying to make money QQ.

GW2 community is the whiniest community not the friendliest community !!

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Test.8734

See Vayne, you are only proving that you cannot argue it. Personal attacks, then hyperbole, then lying (I’m assuming that you can count over 6 to realize that your “less than half a dozen people” is a lie), then trying to say it’s not an issue because of the number of people complaining…

If you could defend it, you would say it’s not intrusive, or that it’s not a similar strategy to the ones used by (other) cheap F2P games. But you can’t, since those statements are not true; so all you have left to do is to attack those who are perfectly justified about complaining on how this is intrusive, silly, and poorly made.

As you have proved, there is no justification. This is something ArenaNet should not have done, and the least they should do is remove it from the game right now.

It is silly and extremely petty to complain about a message on a loading screen to begin with. There is no way around that, it is silly and petty to complain about and nothing else. I can only imagine you people going ballistic over commercials on tv, radio. Or the billboards, or the signs on freeways that tell you what gas stations/restaurants are coming up on the next exit.

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Any way to do this, I know there’s a beta – I’ve chosen not to enter.

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you must, simply change your system’s clock to the end of the beta.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I…am genuinely baffled on how anyone could ever be annoyed by something as minor as a notice on a loading screen. I mean, heaven forbid you’re going to the store and discover they ran out of milk haha. :P

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I…am genuinely baffled on how anyone could ever be annoyed by something as minor as a notice on a loading screen. I mean, heaven forbid you’re going to the store and discover they ran out of milk haha. :P

It ruins the loading screen. Some people actually like looking at the loading screen art.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

From a similar thread about the add, maybe try this.

If you must, simply change your system’s clock to the end of the beta.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Seriously? It’s literally just two sentences of text that appear temporarily on loading screens. It will be gone by the end of the weekend. Just creating this forum topic and making the complaint has already wasted more of your time and energy than the loading screen message ever could.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

They want those who bought HoT in the beta to test all all the changes to previous and new elite specializations. They want to test out the new critter AI and how it scales. They want to show players how interesting just one portion of one map is like.

The countdown to release is on.

And … if you don’t own HoT, that at least informs you why the maps aren’t as full as they normally are on a Friday night.

with a message that is pushed in your face till you’re sick of it makes it more a “i pester you till you do it” thing, ppl who don’t own HoT don’t care anyhow so why should they get pestered with it……..they are only more likely to leave till they quit doing that.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

It ruins the loading screen. Some people actually like looking at the loading screen art.

I’m a huge fan of all GW artwork, but I think that getting annoyed because of a beta notice on the loading screen is a bit over-dramatic. :p

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

I get why it’s there, but it’s so ugly plastered all over the artwork. There is a tonne of black space it could be sorted into. Like, just put a clickable HoT logo in the bottom corner. Have it flash like the original in game HoT notice maybe.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They want those who bought HoT in the beta to test all all the changes to previous and new elite specializations. They want to test out the new critter AI and how it scales. They want to show players how interesting just one portion of one map is like.

And … if you don’t own HoT, that at least informs you why the maps aren’t as full as they normally are on a Friday night.

with a message that is pushed in your face till you’re sick of it makes it more a “i pester you till you do it” thing, ppl who don’t own HoT don’t care anyhow so why should they get pestered with it……..they are only more likely to leave till they quit doing that.

Funny, it doesn’t pester me to do anything and I haven’t pre-purchased HoT yet. It’s less annoying than the PvP tournament world event in game while it was going on.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

I get why it’s there, but it’s so ugly plastered all over the artwork. There is a tonne of black space it could be sorted into. Like, just put a clickable HoT logo in the bottom corner. Have it flash like the original in game HoT notice maybe.

Well if the load screens still had a hint area at the bottom of the screen, it would have likely gone there. But we don’t anymore and if they, for beta weekend, scaled the load screen down to place the message in a black region under the artwork, people will still be complaining.

Some players simply reject vehemently any mention actual real world commerce in the game. They freaked out when Evon’s blog mentioned exchanging gems for gold, they freaked out over the TP’s “Buy Gems” button always on display in the TP redesign.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

The message doesn’t bother me. What bothers me is that the technology exists in the game to overlay such things on the loading screens. Which means that some day we might see “Drink Coca-Cola!” there instead. Uh, oh.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It is a reasonable request.

Reasonable? Sort of. On the one hand, we all hate spam and adverts. On the other hand, it’s a minor issue and it would cost ANet time to do anything about it at this late date. So in terms of benefit to the community versus cost to ANet (and ultimately to us: fewer units sold and time spent fixing a minor issue = less stuff for us)…

tl;dr it’s equally reasonable for ANet to just leave it be.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Put some tape on your screen where the ad appears.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

What I really get annoyed at is when they have done the bouncy chest icon. I get it, they want people to buy it. I bought a second account before f2p though and could see no good reason to upgrade that account for hot.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

However, this reminder/ad that is on every single loading map is pretty annoying. Is there a way to disable it or can you please remove it and disseminate this information another less intrusive way (ie. maybe on in game mail)?

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

What absolutely kills it is the add banner on PvP map loading screens….
It’s like “ok I got it,there’s a BETA,ty vm”.

And I don’t believe that whomever gets invited to participate in the BETA,
be it the press,or a You Tuber,or even a player,needs a reminder that the BETA is
running and you can participate in it by purchasing HoT.

Not annoying.
Just indicative.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Rubiks.8125

Rubiks.8125

Is this REALLY such an issue it warranted a thread? It’s a loading screen. It’s there for 4 days. Look away if it’s such an issue.

Posted by: emendez.3705

emendez.3705

going to have to get used to it when HOT launches you will have that ad for a while in loading screen reminding you it launched haha

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I’m sure by tuesday they will have read this thread and realized the error of their ways.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: AmandaG.2063

AmandaG.2063

As a consumer, If I buy a copy of the game, I DO NOT whatsoever want to see ads in the game about the game I just bought. Ads should stay in the Free-To-Play Copies on the game. I bought GW2 back in Feb. 2015 and I pre-ordered HOT back in July 2015, so my account, along with the others who actually purchased the game, should not have ads in thier game.
Yet all during the beta weekend, EVERY single time I would teleport or switch maps I would see “Pre-Order Game now” ads. Really?? I bought the game already, why would I want to REBUY it? I reported this to customer service, and GM Goggly Eyes said state my concerns in the forum, so here I am.
Is it so hard to keep all the annoying ads in the Free-To-Play games and let the players who spent the money to actually play the game enjoy the game Ad-Free?

(edited by AmandaG.2063)

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

It’s canned and part of the loading screen bitmaps. They will go away soon enough.

its stupid, I agree, but it is what it is.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Behellagh.1468

Actually they aren’t part of the bit maps. I see another instance of Coherent_UI just while the loading screens are up so I’m thinking web server overlay.

RIP City of Heroes

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s also a reminder that the beta is up, for those that forgot and would be upset if they missed it. At any rate, it will be gone in a few hours.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aristide de Beaumont.8623

Aristide de Beaumont.8623

1) This game is full of loading screens. Long loading screens.

2) It’s an advertisement on a buyed game.
The first, not the last.

3) All peoples OK with this should think about removing their AdBlock from their navigator.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

People are running out of things to complain about…

lordkrall.7241

1) This game is full of loading screens. Long loading screens.

2) It’s an advertisement on a buyed game.
The first, not the last.

3) All peoples OK with this should think about removing their AdBlock from their navigator.

1) Long? My longest is usually 30 seconds at most, and that is with a rather old and bad computer. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing stopping anyone form just minimizing the game and browse the internet while waiting (the client does flash when it is done loading).

2) Actually, it is fully possible to play the whole game for free. Should they really waste development time on making a difference between account types for something like this?

3) Why assume everyone is using AdBlock in the first place? There is of course also a rather large difference between the two. ArenaNet earn a grand total of nothing at all from this “ad” while pages usually earns quite a bit from their ads.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

1) Long? My longest is usually 30 seconds at most, and that is with a rather old and bad computer. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing stopping anyone form just minimizing the game and browse the internet while waiting (the client does flash when it is done loading).

Your load screen experience is not the same as others. And minimizing can often make it longer or cause it to crash.

2) Actually, it is fully possible to play the whole game for free. Should they really waste development time on making a difference between account types for something like this?

Players are simply asking for a small QoL fix. Under your logic, why should they ask for anything? In fact, you do this a lot.

3) Why assume everyone is using AdBlock in the first place? There is of course also a rather large difference between the two. ArenaNet earn a grand total of nothing at all from this “ad” while pages usually earns quite a bit from their ads.

ArenaNet earns from their ad too. It’s basic marketing.

lordkrall.7241

Your load screen experience is not the same as others. And minimizing can often make it longer or cause it to crash.

Of course not. But it is not like people are sitting with 5 minute long loading screens frequently (and if they do, they probably have bigger issues to deal with than a tiny piece of text).

Players are simply asking for a small QoL fix. Under your logic, why should they ask for anything? In fact, you do this a lot.

A small QoL fix that require time and resources. For something that will be gone in a couple of hours. Sounds like a waste in my eyes. Also don’t really see what this have to do with what I said though. He claimed that people have paid for the game. Something that I pointed out isn’t true for everyone anymore.

There is a rather large difference between getting revenue for views and selling something. Unless people actually buys the expansion ArenaNet earns a grand total of nothing at all from the ad.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Of course not. But it is not like people are sitting with 5 minute long loading screens frequently (and if they do, they probably have bigger issues to deal with than a tiny piece of text).

What exactly is a long wait time?

A small QoL fix that require time and resources.

All of them do. That doesn’t mean people don’t have the right to request them.

There is a rather large difference between getting revenue for views and selling something. Unless people actually buys the expansion ArenaNet earns a grand total of nothing at all from the ad.

And if they do buy it because of the advertising then they make a profit. This is basic marketing. How do you not understand this? It can be logically derived from your own argument.

Oh right. You’re just interesting in telling people to shut up. Why not just say that rather than appear so dense?

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Then by that logic, there would be no point in Anet having the ad there and it could just as well be gone entirely. No matter how you look at it, Anet has the ad there to get them money.

Honestly, the ad being there feels disrespectful. Imagine yourself in a restaurant, having reserved seating and all, all the while knowing that the food is expensive. You’ve heard good things about the food there and are eager to try it for yourself. After waiting for the food for a good while, almost long enough for you to start complaining, the food is brought in front of you – and just at the same moment, you hear a staff member shout people in at the door, loudly, encouraging everyone in the vicinity to get in and enjoy the food.

That is what we have here. I don’t think it would be unreasonable to ask that the ad be gone come next beta event. Besides, loading screens already show account data, so if the ad has to be there for those who haven’t bought it, it shouldn’t be unbearably difficult to make the game check if the account already has HoT added to it.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Behellagh.1468

The one feature of the pre-purchace that is useful before HoT goes live is the beta weekends. What is wrong advertising that? Reminds those who have HoT to go and participate and those who don’t that this is a benefit they could have.

The outcry about this is ridiculous considering where it was displayed and how small it was.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If it wasn’t there I bet we would get a bunch of threads complaining that they missed the beta weekend because they didn’t know about it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, it is gone now. I’ve not seen it the last few times I’ve logged in, or changed maps.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s gone now. You can all go back to your lives, confident you have vanquished the Beta Announcement Boss (until next Beta when the same dynamic event will occur and you can fight the good fight again).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: exp.3168

exp.3168

I saw something when i went to LA, is there an expension comming? HYPE HYPE
Can i buy it somewhere please and when A’net has a beta what have i to do to join?

Posted by: Aristide de Beaumont.8623

Aristide de Beaumont.8623

And it’s back.
You didn’t think such a good idea would be lost ?
More ads incoming, hope you will enjoy them.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

And it’s back.

If you don’t want to see it, simply change your system’s clock or block GW2 from accessing the URL https://s3.amazonaws.com/gw2-loading-info/v2/dates.json

Malediktus.9250

adding it to the HOST file and redirecting it to localhost should work. Will try it later

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

And it’s back.

If you don’t want to see it, simply change your system’s clock or block GW2 from accessing the URL https://s3.amazonaws.com/gw2-loading-info/v2/dates.json

This worked, tyvm <3

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Behellagh.1468

You all knew that such a mechanism once in place would be used to promote whatever is going on with the game and in this case it’s two days of Twitch-con.

I still say better here than in the notification area with the Story and nearby events.

RIP City of Heroes

Malediktus.9250

I dont know why they ruin their pretty loading screens with it. At the very least there should be an option to disable it without manually blocking that url.