Please stop designing around asura

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I’m not sure if they are the most popular race or what, but can we get some things not designed around asura. Yes I have a level 80 asura that I do the jumping puzzles with. It seems stupid though that I can’t go on my favorite characters because of bad design work.

Please stop designing the stuff around everyone playing asura. I get that it’s the idea to create an artificial difficulty to something, but that isn’t difficult it’s just annoying. I can trivialize your difficulty by playing the correct race, or using a consumable. Shouldn’t the difficulty be in the puzzle itself? Apparently not because none of the puzzles are difficult once you play the right race.

Now there is the nonsense with the reactor. There are so many other interesting things that you could create content around. We’ve had tons of this nonsense with the consortium.

If you will continue to create content designed around Asura at least add in a cheap consumable that will turn me into one so I don’t have to switch every time I want to actually do something.

Oh and for those saying “oh blah blah you just can’t do the jumping puzzles”. I will upload screen shots of my achievement page, and me doing the kittenes. Anyone that’s watched me do them can see how easy they are for me. It’s the artificial b/s that is annoying. Don’t make a players choice of race the deciding factor in difficulty.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Well….maybe you can’t do jumping puzzles…but I don’t need to see your achievement page. I don’t play an Asura (not anymore anyway), and I don’t have any issues doing them.

Honestly, I hope they bring on more jumping puzzles.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

It’s not about asuras. It’s about the horrible camera.

How to fix the horrible camera:

Step 1. Give us an option for how high or low we want the camera angle to be.
Step 2. Give us first person view.
Step 3. Watch people rage about the positive changes.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well….maybe you can’t do jumping puzzles…but I don’t need to see your achievement page. I don’t play an Asura (not anymore anyway), and I don’t have any issues doing them.

You havent done the puzzle in northern LA? The one where you jump down the hole by the forge. Half the time your character will be through the ceiling if its a larger one and you cant see crap.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Don’t be ignorant.

The issue has nothing to do with races and everything to do with the game camera.

The devs have already mentioned several times that they aren’t quite happy with the way the camera interacts with many of the jumping puzzles (and other places). This is because the way the actual game camera works had to be almost entirely redone very close to the game’s release – long after most maps, and jumping puzzles, were either done or well on their way. The side effect is that tall characters on cramped spaces got the shaft harder than Paris Hilton.

They also said that moving forward they’d consider the new camera specs…. Clearly something they utterly forgot during the Aetherblade jumping puzzle, but whatever.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Funny, I found my Asura more annoying than usual during JP because the camera would jerk around weirdly each time I did a tight jump.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I’ve had to deal with the sickening camera for so long on my charr, that I can no longer do JP’s on anything but my charr lol.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Funny, as an Asuran I’d say the game is designed around humans (which is odd seeing how humans are the least populus and also dying race according to GW lore).

The chance to finally hear some Asuran lore is fantastic… but at this rate we’ll end up with yet more “humans and their six gods” lore again.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

On a side note I was in Sanctum Sprint today with a group of mostly Asura and after watching that goofy run animation for 2 races I wanted to rip my eyes out. Don’t worry I didn’t do it. I left the race instead.

The Burninator

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Honestly, I hope they bring on more jumping puzzles.

Doing the puzzles isn’t the issue. They aren’t hard. It’s that they are designed around camera angles that are better for asura. That’s a bit of the page, I can upload more. Again it’s not the difficulty of the puzzles, it’s this artificial difficulty imposed.

You guys are right in that it isn’t that they are designed for Asura. It’s just that conveniently the camera angle favors a race of their size. It even has holes you jump through on some of them that are roughly the same size as an asura would use. My charr can go through, but yeah then I can only see the inside of my own face.

Attachments:

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

Posted by: Rammie.2843

Rammie.2843

I play the tallest possible female Norn, and I only discovered one puzzle that was impossible because of the height. (The one in LA, where you have to drop down the well). In that one, my head hit the ceiling even before jumping, makinging the jump impossible. And in other puzzles there are definitely inconvenient moments, but that is more due to the wonky camera than character models.

And as a non-Asura, the reactor sounds more interesting to me. Then again, I never played GW1, nor am I a lore zealot.

(Vote Kiel)

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I must be a pro charr then, because there isn’t one jumping puzzle that I haven’t completed on my charr warrior who is max height.

/thread?

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I play the tallest possible female Norn, and I only discovered one puzzle that was impossible because of the height. (The one in LA, where you have to drop down the well). In that one, my head hit the ceiling even before jumping, makinging the jump impossible. And in other puzzles there are definitely inconvenient moments, but that is more due to the wonky camera than character models.

And as a non-Asura, the reactor sounds more interesting to me. Then again, I never played GW1, nor am I a lore zealot.

(Vote Kiel)

I’m glad for you but I just can’t seem to do certain things like that. Take the diving part in the aether jumping puzzle. I couldn’t ever see to actually make the jump on my charr. I tried but it kept switching between viewing the sky dome, and the outside of the puzzle to the inside of my own face. I can get to the spot, but without the ability to see anything there isn’t much I can do. I go on my asura, it’s quick easy and done.

I’m frustrated because that just sucks. I want to do these on my charr characters because I enjoy them so much more than my asura. I don’t like how he looks, I don’t like his lore, in general I hate him. I hate feeling like I’m forced to either use him, or use a consumable that makes it so that I can actually see.

Please don’t take my post as me complaining about the difficulty of the puzzles. I actually find them generally very easy. An example is the skipping stones, I completed it in my first shot. Puzzles like the aether though I did finally complete on my charr, but it was only after I did it on my asura and I used the griffon tonic so that I could actually see (the outer part of the air ship, some of the jumps on the pipes).

I can agree it’s the camera angle, but I find it just stupid that the camera angle plays no issues with me when I’m on my asura. I wouldn’t mind if they just let me scale my character down for a jumping puzzle, or put a cheap consumable in so that I could become that size temporarily.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I’m glad for you but I just can’t seem to do certain things like that. Take the diving part in the aether jumping puzzle. I couldn’t ever see to actually make the jump on my charr.

I can’t see it on my (smallest height) asura either, i suspect the design is intentional

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I don’t believe they have designed anything around the Asura race. And, the guy who did the JP’s mentioned doing testing with a full-size Norn.

That said, the Asura are the easiest character to navigate. The perception of faster run speed (I know they all run at the same absolute speed) and general responsiveness makes them feel like sports cars compared to the other races. Norns lumber along and I swear the Charr hesitate a to move a micro second at least as compared to the Asura. There are problems with the camera and they swapped out the camera everything was originally developed around just before launch which made some of the JP’s troublesome initially. The problems associated with the camera do favor smaller size so there you go.

I agree with the OP in that the Asura are superior (fitting, eh?) and I would like to see improvements in general character navigation even beyond jumping puzzles. In other games I’ve played large and small characters and I don’t remember ever sensing that the larger characters were more difficult to navigate.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I thought all character footprints were the same? I’m like 99.999% sure of it.

I think what you mean is that the camera sucks, and it is certainly problematic for bigger races.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

The camera was changed a few months ago to be in the same spot for all races.

The old camera used to be positioned at your characters head, so your height made a difference. This was unfair for Norn/big characters because they were always hitting a ceiling. In the current camera iteration, if your camera is hitting a wall, so is everyone else’s. However, if your character is too big/in the way, that’s not going to necessarily be the same problem with everyone else. Lastly, when you start zooming in, that’s when the camera starts going to your height-specific position. If you’re using a transformation or tonic, they all have inherent heights which may or may not be accurate.

If your problem is that your character is too big, there are a few solutions. Personally, when I run into parts where I’m unsure of how far to jump, I’ll aim my camera straight down at my head so I see the top of my head. This lets me see how far I need to jump but I don’t see the Y axis (height). Usually that’s fine since I know where the next jump will be. If I can’t see anything at all, then I turn my camera so I can see where I need to go, then go back to the fantastic (sarcasm included) view of a wall/the inside of my face to continue.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Human and Norn are the most popular races. And most boring.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

I have done every JP in the game with my charr and norn characters. This is a l2p issue.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I play the tallest possible female Norn, and I only discovered one puzzle that was impossible because of the height. (The one in LA, where you have to drop down the well).

I’ve seen this one about dropping into the Well in Lion’s Arch a couple times, so I thought I should come in and mention that this isn’t the only way into that puzzle; dropped into the nearby sewer and exploring around in there will get you to the exact same entrance spot. It gets a little confusing under there but it’s totally doable.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

OK, I don’t at all agree. Asura are not the best race in jumping puzzles, There jumps rotate in the air making placement a bit wierd. Also their hitbox is significantly bigger than them.

I’ve done most of the JP in the game on a variety of classes. 1 evening, as I needed BoH for an armor set, I completed the E-B jumping puzzles on all 9 of my characters. I can say definitively that I personally find JP easiest on my Sylvari. The way her jump animation works makes it FAR easier to place the character exactly where I want it (famale human also probably would have been similar). Charr is probably the hardest (the 4 legged lop + their hitbox being smaller than the Charr running). I didn’t find many issues on my Norn at all.

SO Jumping Puzzles, I don’t think Azura have a huge advantage over any class but Charr (except possibly Trolls End)

So Personal Story. None of the Order Partners are Asura. There are practically no Asuran NPCs in the last act. Trahearne being the major NPC and a Sylvari. Unless you are playing Asura, there are very few in most Storylines

Now lets look at Living Story so far.

First part was majorly Norn and Charr, The NPCs the enemies etc.
Second part, the Consortium was all races but the main bad guy was a Sylvari.
Aetherblades were all races, but had some Inquest working for them.

SO I think story wise not heavily Asura based.

What about the world. Well other than Metrica Province and a few scattered labs, I wouldn’t say many maps are Asura biased. Humans have all of Kryta which is about 5 maps worth and Fields of Ruin. Charr have also around 5 maps based around them. Norn have all of the Shiverpeaks.

So map wise… hardly any of it relates to the Asura.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Just so you know, there’s this potion that turns you into an inquest. It drops off CoE, might wanna take a look at that one.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I’m sorry, but you need to accept that the asura are superior to all other races. The game isn’t designed around them, they are simply better.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I have the largest possible size Norn and I have yet to experience any serious difficulties.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I think what people are considering bad desgin may be intentional. I was doing my daily jumping puzzle today on a human character. Troll’s end in Lion’s Arch and as I was jumping through I was reminded of the complaints people have in reguards to character size and camera.

Yes there are times when you basically have to guess, or not so much guess, but ‘know’. You are looking through your model half the time, or looking through or at terrain.

To me this has always just been part of the challenge of jumping puzzles. You get the best view you can and make your jump. The camera works just fine.