Please tell me if HoT is worth $50...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Durrik.4679

Durrik.4679

I don’t want to start another thread complaining about the price or not getting another character slot, what I’m wondering is the expansion worth $50 bucks, content wise?

So from what I know off hand I thought I would do a bit of an analysis on what we got with the original game for $50 and what we’re getting with the expansion.

In the original game we got:

• 8 classes
  • 31 PVE Maps
  • 6 dungeons
  • 2 WvW Maps
  • 7 PvP Maps (I think, I never do PVP so I may be wrong)
  • community events and other features like living story, guilds, social stuff

To me who does PvE I would probably rank these in the following manner:
$10 for the classes
$18 for the PvE Maps and story
$6 for WvW
$6 for PvP
$10 for the community

So that means:

• $1.25 for each class
  • $0.58 for each PvE map
  • $0.33 for each Dungeon
  • $3.00 for each WvW Map
  • $0.86 for each PvP Map
  • $10 for the community

What we know about HoT is:

• One new class
  • At least one 3 layer maps, count as 3 maps
  • One new Borderland WvW map
  • One new PvP Map
  • The community and other features (guild halls, gliders, etc)

So for me the expansion is worth:

• $1.25 for class
  • $1.55 for PvE
  • $3.00 for WvW
  • $0.86 for PvP
  • $10 for the community and other features.

That works out to $16.66. Well lets say that PvE will be great and as large as half of what we currently have, this brings the price to $23.11, but there has been no indication besides just having one map with three levels. So please tell me why is the expansion worth $50? Is WvW going to be much larger? Is PvP going to be much larger? As I said I only really do PvE and I may have missed the great and awesome things for those that justify the other $25-$35. Maybe I’m rating PvE too high, maybe I’m rating each class too low.

I’ll buy the expansion if I feel its worth it, but really for me right now as a PvE person I only see $13 if we rate the community and other features that high. I’m trying to feel good about putting down $50 + gold for the character slot. I love the game, I love the community, heck I even got into gw1 recently because I wanted to learn the back story more, but I can’t see paying 4-5x what the content is worth to me out of that love. As I said, please tell me why I should buy the expansion?

I guess I’m also asking for people to give their opinions on the worth of what we’ve been told has been added if its really worth it.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I can only speak for myself, but I play one character and one class. I’m not guilded. I don’t WvW, and I barely PvP. So, given your criteria, no. Fifty dollars is not worth it at this point in time. But, yes, 16.66 (interesting number) would be for me.

I’ll round it up to twenty, and I’d still be fine. Again, given what I’ve seen, as little as it is so far, I’m not impressed enough to spend that on glorified Living Story.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Not even close.
No new dungeon with a nice set of outfits but another mordrem infested map piled 3 deep with oodels of zerg events instead?
Ah, forgot the walking Frogs..

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I agree with you, OP, and Ardenwolfe. For what it is shown to include, $15-20 USD is about the most it is worth to me as there is not a whole lot that would interest me planned to be included with it.

I, too, do not take part in the guild aspect of the game, nor wvw, nor pvp. I enjoy exploring expansive, gimmick-free open world zones with many characters of different races and professions after having equipped them and designed their appearances as I desired – exactly what the base game offered and provided. The “expansion” does not look to offer any new playable races, or even offer more expansive, gimmick-free open world zones. It only appears to offer an interesting profession that may or may not be enjoyable. Couple this new profession with the recently announced “changes” to existing professions, and it leaves me completely questioning if I should consider spending time learning a new profession, let alone it also causing me to question if I really want to spend time relearning all of the existing professions, reacquiring many skills I currently have that are being taken away, and re-equipping and re-outfitting every single one of my many characters to function and appear as I have them currently…all to be able to enjoy playing in the same open world areas that I have been for nearly 3 years. No, $50 does not seem to be a justifiable price in my mind for what it is being shown to include, especially when looked at from the point of view that the additional, negative changes being made to the base game discourage me from continuing on with the existing content and longer.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

As of right now, I can’t see how it’s worthwhile unless you’re really hyped for the expansion.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

$50 for a triple-layered Silverwastes map, and $10 more for the new class… or $25 more for the new class (??).

Posted by: keramatzmode.1906

keramatzmode.1906

Hold on to your money. I honestly from what they have shown and promised, it is worth 15-20. 50 dollars, I better preorder fallout 4. 50 dollars is beyond comprehension of what it’s worth.

Besides, the preorder is recommended for the new players getting in. But for the current players, hold on to your money. This is plain ridiculous. Unless you want the rytlock mini and the good gem deal, go get the ultimate if you can afford one.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Honestly, there is no way its going to be worth $50 bucks, I can’t say ‘I know’, but everything I do know about game development says so.

The only game I can think of that charges $50 for an expansion is the latest WoW expansion, and that is massive, just like all of WoWs expansions, as most of WoWs expansions have in fact added as much content as the vanilla game released with. And only this most recent game cost as much as the base game, the previous cost 10-20 dollars less than the vanilla game.

So why is it not possible that ANet has a similarly grand expansion on the horizon, one worthy of fifty bucks and a preorder? Because of time. I can guarantee you Warlords of Draenor was being worked on for years before Mists of Pandaria was even released.

ANet on the other hand had no plans whatsoever for what to do after release and spent a year and a pinch after launch running around like headless chickens fixing things that weren’t ready for release, planning and preparing for the LS, and figuring out ways to gate players and content so that they would stick around long enough to make some kind of end game. They’ve spent, at most, two years on this expansion, I would wager less; and there is no way an expansion with that development time has content worth what they are asking. They’ve barely expanded their staff, and seem to be handling their time, money, and development resources terribly. It just isn’t possible that this adds as much content as the base game given the circumstances under which it has been developed, but it sure is being priced as such.

In short, there is no way I’m buying this expansion unless they change the price to one I know its going to be worth instead of suspect it won’t, or its release shows it to have content worth that price tag, a near impossibility in my opinion.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

In short. No it isn’t. But they have you over a barrel if you want to experience the new content -_-

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

No it is not, compared to Factions and Nightfall.

Which gave players:

*2 new classes, each
*Two more character slots each
*Hundreds of new skills
*Dozen of new elite skills
*Three new elite areas
*30+ story missions the two games combined
*Two dozens of new zones to explore

For a $45 price per games.

(edited by Lévis.5489)

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I ordered 4 boxes of pizza last night. Cost me rougly $55 and I’d say it was worth it.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I ordered 4 boxes of pizza last night. Cost me rougly $55 and I’d say it was worth it.

That is so relevant,I am deeply moved dude.
Pizza is created so that people can be happy.
Love Peace Pizza.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

Since I’m only interested in the explorable maps, it’s not worth it to me.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

There are some really great changes that only for them would be worth it.PvP arena and guild halls

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

That is relevant,
I am so deeply moved, dude.
Love Peace and Pizza.

Sorry, for some reason that just REALLY needed to be a haiku.

Posted by: Quintuplebeta.3914

Quintuplebeta.3914

I would pay the $50 if they gave us an outfit/skin/costume (still buying it anyways)

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

just hold your money. the beta isn’t even worth trying. get it after launch, or for Christmas . hopefully with that anet will bow to our request of cheaper expansion price.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

Hold on to your money. I honestly from what they have shown and promised, it is worth 15-20. 50 dollars, I better preorder fallout 4. 50 dollars is beyond comprehension of what it’s worth.

Besides, the preorder is recommended for the new players getting in. But for the current players, hold on to your money. This is plain ridiculous. Unless you want the rytlock mini and the good gem deal, go get the ultimate if you can afford one.

this
I can wait 2 years for a sale when they throw it out for $10.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I can wait 2 years for a sale when they throw it out for $10.

At the rate Anet is alienating their customers, it doesn’t look like you have to wait 2 years.

Posted by: Durrik.4679

Durrik.4679

I had a look at my value and numbers and probably missed a few things. The game was originally $60 at the start, so I added in $2 for classes, PVE Maps, WvW, PvP and community.

I also didn’t bring in the fact of the elite specializations for the core classes, and from what I can figure out they’re worth about 1/3 the original classes, since you use them as one of the 3 traits you’re allowed to customize your character with. So that will add $4 to the game.

So what this works out to right now is:

• classes – $5.50
  • PvE Maps – $1.74
  • WvW Maps – $4.00
  • PvP Maps – $1.14
  • Community and other features – $12

Which is worth $20.38 for what they’ve announced so far. For me it’ll hinge on how much PvE they add since that is what I’m looking for. Right now all that we know is that its worth $1.74 to me. Now if they come up with half as much content as what GW2 launched with it’ll be worth $9 of the total price. Which brings it up to $27.88. If they bring in as much PvE content was was launched it would bring it up to $36.88. Now we’re getting into the ballpark of whether the expansion is worth the $50.

To be honest I find that I am weighing too much on the community and features, and a bit too much on the classes. So maybe its in a good place. But looking at this tells me I’m waiting till its released and seeing how much content is in there before I purchase. If it has as much 1/2 as much PvE content as launch I might go for it, if it has as much as launch then I most likely will. So I’m hoping that Arenanet gives us some sort of information. Like there will be: as much, half as much, less than half, much less than half as much content. I don’t want to be spoiled on the story, just an idea of how much new content is coming it, but from all the news it looks like it will be one or maybe two maps with three levels, which works out to around 10-20% as much content.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

It’s $20 for HoT plus $30 for the “base game” (base game in this context apparently does not include 5 character slots that have been present with every other instance of the use of “base game” to date).

Existing players are getting overcharged for content they already paid for. If you haven’t played the game before, $50 isn’t a bad price (I mean, it’s no $10 sale price, but… whatever).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Huggywuggles.2814

Huggywuggles.2814

Agreed 100%. This is the route I’ll be taking (most likely in two or three weeks) because the Ultimate Package is, far and away, the very best value. The estimated value of everything the Ultimate Package offers is (based on valuing a single gem at $1.00 U.S <rounded up> as well as average prices on the gem store of similar items) $114.23 U.S. which you will be paying $100.00 U.S. for.

Remember, there IS no rush to pre-order if you cannot afford it just at the moment. I can’t. But knowing where the real value for your dollar is will be extremely important in making the most informed decision that is right for you.

I am a Juicebox Hero. I poke straws in Risen Eyes.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

If you are rich it is worth 50$ because you have too much money.
If you dont have enough money wait for the discount 50% and buy it for 25$

Posted by: alwinp.2791

alwinp.2791

I’ve gotta hand it to anet, they sure have guts

I wonder if they even screen the forums at all. They could learn so much from the players. We are a playerbase with common sense, but they treet us like a bunch of mindless sheep.

The way ANET is handling things is/was just wrong on so many levels. and this pricetag is just a big slap in the face to many. Especially after the countless advices given on this forum.

I was expecting a backfire, now i’m as good as sure it will.

I grant them a safe future and much developing, but i’m not some mindless idiot shelling out money for hyped up things.

I will wait it out, watch reviews and see if its actually worth 50 or 40.

Till then I will have my hand full with other titles (wich are free and offer pretty much more then this game currently does)

Yours cincerly

Launch player.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

I’m wondering is the expansion worth $50 bucks, content wise?

I’ll get my crystal ball on that right away.

You realized you’re basing your math on nothing but demos and betas right?
Who told you there’s only gonna be 1 new map? And no new dungeons/fractals?

And are you forgetting things like voice acting to improve the story telling like countless people have asked? With proper cut scenes? How do you factor something like that in?

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Hah hell no is it worth 50 bucks…no expansion should be that closely priced to the full games amount unless it releases as much content as the original game did…I’d be even ok at 39.99 on release, but as for me I won’t be purchasing it until it drops down to a sale price. I have no issues taking a Hiatus or playing vanilla GW till then. GW2 has had multiple sales after the first I think 6month + period and Im sure HoT will be the same…So I’ll wait for one of those “50% off deals” and pick it up at 25 bucks