Plz reduce Req for iron & soft wood refining

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m seriously getting frustrated with these 2 materials for ascended crafting. Others are bad enough, but these 2 I just can’t get enough of just to even level my crafting. And no wonder, x3 chunks of iron to make iron ingot and same for steel. To make 1 ascended component you need 20 iron ingots + 10 steel (among others) which = 90 iron chunks for just 1 component.

I can scour entire map and not find half that amount of iron and soft wood is even worse x 4 logs to make 1 plank! And you need 20 planks to make 1 component that’s 80 logs of soft wood! At the same time, soft wood is even scarcer than iron. I can go through entire Diessa Plateau and be lucky to get 30 logs of soft wood, which can take well over an hour. It’s really getting on my nerves and it’s so boring to keep hunting for these mats aside form others.

Plz reduce the requirement. Make iron & steel ingots only needing 2 chunks and same for soft wood, or at least dramatically increase the nodes available in places like Gandarran Fields and other maps where these materials appear. Even more frustrating is that i often find ore nodes are placed where they,re unreachable or very difficult to get to, making u waste even more time.

Thanks for listening.

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

Harvesting isn’t the only way to get iron and wood. In fact there are much faster and easier ways to obtain them. Maybe look in to those before asking the game be changed to suit your gaming behavior.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

Harvesting isn’t the only way to get iron and wood. In fact there are much faster and easier ways to obtain them. Maybe look in to those before asking the game be changed to suit your gaming behavior.

And in doing so make someone rich, very rich.

Tiger Ashante.1792

Ugh Oh! U mean buy it? or bot it? No thanks. I spent $100’s of RL money to buy full sets of permanent gathering tools for all 9 of my char, why should i have to spend money now on buying those mats?

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I see i’m not the only person disturbed by the amount of T2 materials you need for ascended crafting.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

The entire crafting materials setup is entirely out of whack.

For the longest time there was hardly any demand for mid-tier items so naturally mid-level mats were cheap. Then it didn’t matter that you need 4 Soft Wood to craft a single log.

But now that there is demand, these imbalances have become exasperated.

They should at least drop the Soft Wood requirement from 4 to 3, to bring it in line with other materials.

But honestly, I think the biggest problem with crafting is that practically everything boils down to various types of Wood or Ore. They really need to add something else to the crafting process that creates all the dowels instead of basing them on Wood and Ore as well.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The problem is the distribution of levels across the map.

You have 5 zones for copper, then 25-40 gives iron (So that’s about 6-8 zones), then 40-50 gives platinum and 6o-70 gives platinum into Mithril. 70+ almost always gives Mithril ore, with only 80’ed zones (4) which have Orilachium, and that’s about 5 nodes a map +/- compared to the 20 or so Mithril nodes.

Now that’s just ores. With wood it’s even worst. The best way to go about it is WvW. The borderlands are rich with copper-gold, and platinum+is in EBGwith the same for wood respectively.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I’ve spent the past few weeks learning to gather materials quickly. There are certain places on certain maps where you will reliably find good amounts of a given type of material. For example, Gallowfields Waypoint in Brisband Wildlands is a reliable place to find multiple Iron Ore nodes in a small area, and typically one is a Rich.

If you do a little bit of research you will find that there are gathering hot spots around the world and jumping from one to the next gathering doesn’t take all that long. You can actually gather quite a lot of materials quickly if you take the time to do this day after day for a few days. I’ll usually do this when I’m also working on my daily or as I’m moving to a part of the world for a meta event.

The only material that takes longer to gather is Soft Wood. There just doesn’t seem to be as much of it around as there is with other types of wood, but again, there are areas where you can reliably find it.

I’ve crafted two Ascended weapons so far and I’ve made extra Spiritwood and Deldrimor Ingots and put them up for sale and I’ve still got extra materials. Again, it is somewhat of a time commitment if you are up for it, but it doesn’t take too long if you just hit up a few key areas once a day, and especially if you are focused on 1-2 types of materials.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

(edited by Stone.6751)

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

They should at least drop the Soft Wood requirement from 4 to 3, to bring it in line with other materials.

I agree with this. There was a reason to up the requirement to 4 once upon a time, but the time to drop it back to 3 and make it in line with every other wood out there has long past.

There is no longer, and hasn’t been in a long time, an over-abundance of soft wood out there in the market.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

You have 5 zones for copper, then 25-40 gives iron (So that’s about 6-8 zones), then 40-50 gives platinum and 6o-70 gives platinum into Mithril. 70+ almost always gives Mithril ore, with only 80’ed zones (4) which have Orilachium, and that’s about 5 nodes a map +/- compared to the 20 or so Mithril nodes.

Iron goes up to at least lvl 50 (Dredgehaunt Cliffs). Platinum and Silver are different since they are not used for weapons, only for Jewlery.

Personally i’m happy with the mats prices, since i like running around gathering much more than doing champ trains for earning money

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Tiger Ashante.1792

Iron goes up to at least lvl 50 (Dredgehaunt Cliffs). Platinum and Silver are different since they are not used for weapons, only for Jewlery.

Personally i’m happy with the mats prices, since i like running around gathering much more than doing champ trains for earning money

Actually u do use platinum for both ascended and non ascended weapons in a form of darksteel, but platinum is rather abundant in sparkfly fen in particular, so i’ve not run into problem with those thus far. I magine though once they introduce legendary trinkets crafting that will change, should they be part of the required mats.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ugh Oh! U mean buy it? or bot it? No thanks. I spent $100’s of RL money to buy full sets of permanent gathering tools for all 9 of my char, why should i have to spend money now on buying those mats?

I don’t mean to be rude with this, but you’re not really approaching this from a very efficient perspective, so it doesn’t make sense for you to argue against the inefficiency you’re encountering.

Gathering materials is rarely a cost effective use of time. Outside of Orichalcum Ore and Ancient Wood Logs, you’re almost always better off spending your time doing something more profitable (such as farming events, running dungeons, etc.) than spending your time gathering.

If you spent a bunch of RL money to invest in gathering tools…well…that’s unfortunate, but it doesn’t justify wasting even more of your resources (time) gathering. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

However, I will agree that the material cost of the high level crafting stuff is pretty ridiculous, but that’s pretty much my view on ascended stuff in general.

Beldin.5498

Gathering materials is rarely a cost effective use of time. Outside of Orichalcum Ore and Ancient Wood Logs, you’re almost always better off spending your time doing something more profitable (such as farming events, running dungeons, etc.) than spending your time gathering.

When i gather i make around 5-7g per hour, and thats with maybe gather 8-10 minutes and then make a break for 3-4 minutes to sell stuff and relax .. can’t say that is so bad escpecially since it really very relaxed and you can make breaks whenever you want

And no .. i don’t talk about T6 mats here.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Just wait until you have to craft full ascended armor sets. I’m really stunned that people are willing to grind all of this junk out, for something that (according to a certain forum faction) makes no real difference.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

But that’s what makes it really weird because whilst iron is available to 50, the different types of wood aren’t as much.

Also dark steel says hi :v

I ? Karkas.

Beldin.5498

T3 wood has btw. been always the most expensive wood (before ascended crafting) and i haven’t found out till today for what reason. Also Iron, Gold and T3 wood have gone up in prices months before ascended crafting.

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m seriously getting frustrated with these 2 materials for ascended crafting. Others are bad enough, but these 2 I just can’t get enough of just to even level my crafting. And no wonder, x3 chunks of iron to make iron ingot and same for steel. To make 1 ascended component you need 20 iron ingots + 10 steel (among others) which = 90 iron chunks for just 1 component.

I can scour entire map and not find half that amount of iron and soft wood is even worse x 4 logs to make 1 plank! And you need 20 planks to make 1 component that’s 80 logs of soft wood! At the same time, soft wood is even scarcer than iron. I can go through entire Diessa Plateau and be lucky to get 30 logs of soft wood, which can take well over an hour. It’s really getting on my nerves and it’s so boring to keep hunting for these mats aside form others.

Plz reduce the requirement. Make iron & steel ingots only needing 2 chunks and same for soft wood, or at least dramatically increase the nodes available in places like Gandarran Fields and other maps where these materials appear. Even more frustrating is that i often find ore nodes are placed where they,re unreachable or very difficult to get to, making u waste even more time.

Thanks for listening.

PS. I also meant to add: please reduce the amount of walnut from soft wood, getting sick of it. I got stacks of this stuff, its totally worthless. it seems no one wants to use walnut for anything and its reducing the amount of wood u get form the trees, as instead of a log i get walnut!

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

You’re also forgetting about salvaging, which can produce a great deal more raw material than gathering and in a shorter amount of time. You get more than luck from all those blues and greens, ya know.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Tiger Ashante.1792

You’re also forgetting about salvaging, which can produce a great deal more raw material than gathering and in a shorter amount of time. You get more than luck from all those blues and greens, ya know.

I’m forgetting nothing. I salvage plenty, but still get very little if any soft wood out of it or even iron for that matter.

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Think harder. You’ll eventually get it. It’s entirely legit and has been in the game since release. I’m surprised at your bluntness when I see not one, but two people that tried to help you here.

Tiger Ashante.1792

Think harder. You’ll eventually get it. It’s entirely legit and has been in the game since release. I’m surprised at your bluntness when I see not one, but two people that tried to help you here.

I don’t need your, or other players help to mine iron/wood, i need Anet to fix the problem, but tnx for your input.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Iron will go up in price again with ascended armor crafting given how common heavy armor classes are

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

If you’re leveling an alt: do the Queensdale champ train and salvage everything. You’ll get levels, karma, luck, and crafting materials.

If you need iron and soft wood and your alt is really low level: save the bags until they are at iron/wood levels and open them then.

Actually: the champ bags are account bound so you may be able to keep an alt at around level 30 permanently to serve as a bag opener (this should work, I think).

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I don’t need your, or other players help to mine iron/wood, i need Anet to fix the problem, but tnx for your input.

Why create this thread then if you don’t need help? If you just want Anet to respond here, you’re in for a tough time, because they know they’ve implemented other ways leading to Rome – which you are unwilling to explore or even consider – and that the current market is sufficiently healthy with the existing crafting requirements.

When you read this, instead of immediately responding, take a deep breath, step back, and think. “What are three players alluding to that I’m not seeing?”

My help stops here btw. Had you been less dismissive, I would have pm’d you the answer.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

The need of 4 seems to have to do with launch time, lots of folks running around collecting, and was probably to help clear that market up some. It’s a year past launch, them zones are relatively empty, time to adjust to the current game.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If you’re leveling an alt: do the Queensdale champ train and salvage everything. You’ll get levels, karma, luck, and crafting materials.

If you need iron and soft wood and your alt is really low level: save the bags until they are at iron/wood levels and open them then.

Actually: the champ bags are account bound so you may be able to keep an alt at around level 30 permanently to serve as a bag opener (this should work, I think).

The content of the various loot bags doesnt depend on the level of the character that opens them but their prefix, Tiny, Small, Light, Medium, Large and Heavy, from tier 1-6.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The content of the various loot bags doesnt depend on the level of the character that opens them but their prefix, Tiny, Small, Light, Medium, Large and Heavy, from tier 1-6.

You are talking about the loot bags, Lord Kuru about champ boxes. Two different things.
Still, any method of obtaining anything in the game that starts with “make an alt of a certain level” is at best a workaround. A solution must exist that satisfies both alt and single character users.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I like how ‘everyone’ always points to the TP. The turnaround then is: “Everyone loves the TP, people are using it like crazy, it’s such a vital part.”

I do understand the concept and it’s not that I’m against it, but if people are actually having fun harvesting the items themselves, or it’s a matter of principle, and there are seemingly not enough (haven’t checked this personally) – they get the runaround and are basically ridiculed.

The question for me is – does this bring more players into the respective zones? If we create more nodes, would that lead to a price decrease and thus again decreasing players in those zones? With people being driven to Kessex Hill lately – why has there been no increased sell listing – surely most people harvest the nodes along the events?

In general I’m all for making lower tier crafting elements more valuable, so I myself would take the inconvenience of not being able to harvest enough in one map on one character.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

gathering iron and softwood was the easiest and most relaxing thing i’ve done in this game. Would do this whenever i had a chance, lunch break, after work, late night when i couldn’t sleep. Just made a list of the maps, made a route, and just ran through there. Used my thief to stealth past mobs and such made it extremely fast. Usually one map would get me close to what I needed. Would do multiple maps to get a stock pile up.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

What makes anyone think ANet is interested in making it easier to accomplish anything with crafting?

Tiger Ashante.1792

I appreciate all your suggestions, but I don’t want you to miss the point here.

I realise there are other ways of getting mats and i do get them that way as well and sometimes even buy them if i’m short, but its never enough and one shouldn’t have to resort to, or rely on these methods as a “better” or more efficient way of getting these mats, as opposed to gathering them. As it is, i’m tired of all the clicking to salvage items, its getting so tedious i’m literally falling asleep half the time i play gw2 these days.

I have 9 chars, they’re all my main, i never leave any of my chars behind they’re all equal in my eyes and i wanted to craft them all at least one ascended weap, the one they use the most and then think about the 2nd set but i can see i’m gonna give up gw2 before that’s ever achieved.

IMO, if you go and introduce recipes into the game that require insane amount of mats, then you have to balance it out. Reduce the refining requirements, or ensure there are enough nodes in the relevant maps to satisfy those needs, without forcing people to spend all their gameplay chasing these mats over multiple maps day in and day out.

I can for eg traverse 1/3 of a map and not see a single node of wood or iron. Why so spread out? and why so sparse? Other times i’ll go into a map where should be iron but i find 70-80% of the nodes are silver.

Don’t get me wrong, I normally enjoy gathering and crafting and found it relaxing in most part, but since this ascended stuff, it’s actually becoming a pain and i’m starting to hate it. I’m also dreading ascended armor and not sure if i’m even going to bother with it, coz that’s gonna be even worse with RNG leather, omg! I pray the 6 will sway me from this path!

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

I love how this thread is current at the same time as another one lamenting how few people there are in mid-level areas.

Tiger Ashante.1792

I love how this thread is current at the same time as another one lamenting how few people there are in mid-level areas.

Well i visit lots of maps and sometimes run into ppl chasing mats, just like me. There’s rarely time for events these days, unless they offer dragonite ore lol, even though i myself would like to do them and often get caught up in an odd one here and there. So yea, ppl don’t stick around these maps for long and it would be easy to miss them.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Champ bags are affected by the level of the toon opening them. If I champ farm with a lvl 4 toon and open i’ll get lvl 4 appropriate drops. If bag the bag instead and opening it on my 80 i’ll get lvl 80 appropriate drops

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.