PoF Elite Specs: An Underwater Analysis

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sprhavkdogi.9408

sprhavkdogi.9408

Yep I’m that weird person who crafted all 3 underwater legendaries and personally enjoys underwater content a great deal. So as a result, I decided to take each elite spec into the water and test them against the jellyfish, tuna, sharks, and drakes in wvw. I would like to preface this by saying for the most part I am genuinely impressed with the fact that uw wasn’t forgotten about like it was in HoT and that the elite specs are mostly usable. But let’s focus on the mostly part now. There are some skills that are excluded from underwater that seem like they should be usable. Below I’ve rated how well the elite specs transfer to underwater and some notes about them.

-Spellbreaker 8/10
-why is the heal skill unusable? This single question keeps it from having a perfect score. All it does is remove boons and conditions so I fail to see why this is unusable underwater. If this was enabled, underwater spellbreaker would be perfect

-Firebrand 10/10
-perfect. both the tomes and the mantras can be used underwater nothing further to add

-Renegade 1/10
-oh boy where to begin? On top of STILL only having two legends even remotely usable underwater. Basically the entire renegade elite spec does not work underwater (rev is now 2/2 on useless underwater elite specs). Yes cats hate water, but that would be a terrible excuse for excluding another revenant elite spec from being usable underwater. The class is already bad enough, why can’t it get a break? I’ll award it one point to represent the bare minimum of effort to just make the f skills usable

-Soulbeast 10/10
-perfect everything works, no complaints. I love it underwater.

-Deadeye 4/10
-deadeye has a few too many locked utilities. Shadow Flare I can understand, but the heal should definitely be able to work (see spellbreaker). Binding Shadow could work too. instead of a knockdown, have it sink the target. Shadow Gust could have the same idea.

-Holosmith 9/10
-I love it underwater. photon forge still works. Every utility besides the elite is usable. Unlike the other exclusions though, its exclusion actually makes sense because it is a giant fire beam. It doesn’t get the perfect score because I’d still like to have the elite though (after all Goku could fire the kamehameha underwater more light less fire!).

-Weaver 8/10
-AQUATIC stance. AQUATIC and it’s not usable underwater. This is another one that is baffling. Water spirit is usable underwater and jellyfish pets can even drop water fields underwater. The exclusion of this skill from underwater use is another strange choice that I have to question. Otherwise good. can slot in 3/4 utilities and the excluded one isn’t really necessary

-Mirage 6/10
-Another class that has baffling exclusions. There are 3 shadowstep utilities and only one of them is usable? (illusionary ambush is allowed, but not mirage advance or jaunt?) The mirror util I can understand, but the other two don’t make sense to me.

-Scourge 7/10
-Another one with a few questionable choices for util exclusion. Sand swell and trail of anguish make sense both animation and function wise; however, why is t he elite usable uw and everything else isn’t? Dessicate and Sand Flare should definitely be usable and Serpent Siphon could be changed from a ground target to enemy target similar to others such as arcane wave.

Let me state again that I love the work done with the elite specs and will enjoy playing them on land and in the water, but as someone who enjoys underwater combat and sees it as one of the things that separates GW2 from other MMOs I would love to see these improved. If any of the elite spec designers read this, I thank you for your time and I hope you can take, improve, or be inspired by some of my suggestions above.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Funny how the soulbeast was the only one to get a perfect score. Rangers are (still) Aquaman confirmed.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

little tip: Firebrand mantras refresh if you go underwater and your underwater build do not use them.

Posted by: nedlee.5943

nedlee.5943

Sadly Arenanet stopped caring about Revenants. Not only that the new elite spec is poorly made and unusable underwater, many Revenant skills used to be very buggy on uneven terrain. Some of them got fixed, and the worst one just got fixed two weeks ago after two years of complaining. And guess what, Renegade has new fancy skills that also buggy in the same way.

(edited by nedlee.5943)

Posted by: sprhavkdogi.9408

sprhavkdogi.9408

Funny how the soulbeast was the only one to get a perfect score. Rangers are (still) Aquaman confirmed.

Actually firebrand got a perfect too

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Actually firebrand got a perfect too

I must have glossed over that one.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690